Image ImageImage Image

Cowley on the Score: "Dunn has checked out"

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Re: Cowley on the Score: "Dunn has checked out" 

Post#101 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 am

madvillian wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
/thathappened

I mean seriously. Cowley's source is probably the guy that carts out the ball racks.

how does cowley have league wide sources willing to divulge highly sensitive info on Garland?

When is the last time cowley had a legit scoop that nobody else had, either a bulls trade, signing or other significant event other than just **** like where player x isn't happy and an anonymous source is used?

never? If it's never happened it's because his sources are trash. There have probably been more legit sources on RealGM over the last decade on the Bulls board.

I mean Cowley actually has been right multiple times in the past and he was the one that broke the news that Boylen and the front office were working on an extention.

I get it, he comes off like a dick, but it's funny how people get made and always say he's making things up but he usually ends up being right.

He can read tea leaves. I don't think he has actual sources. I asked that question in good faith as I don't live in Chicago and my attention to the Bulls comes and goes has he ever broken a piece of news that wasn't just putting the obvious together like a guy is unhappy or "contract talks are ongoing" type news?

If he had the boylen thing first good on him but my recall was at the time it was broken by woj or another national guy, maybe shams?

It's hard to keep track of what he's been right about, but he's definitely been right about things that weren't being reported by KC. The severity of Noah's knee, the Butler, and Thibideau situation all come to mind as well. Listen to the interview. He's not someone like Friedell. He sounds very credible.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,410

Post#102 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 am

I am pretty sure the Bulls are over Dunn that being said why move him for valentine? Just awful idea imho. Maybe Dunn was a problem with the revolt on Boylen? I don’t think for Dunn’s money and still potential and skill you are filling his spot with something better. I think he can run the second team and potentially learn to be the PG down the stretch. I also could see him out of the league but he is a no risk proposition right now.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#103 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 am

RedBulls23 wrote:Why's that? Is it because he isn't right 100% of the time? He's been right on things in the past. He was the one that said the FO was hiding how serious Noah's knee issues were, he was the one that called much of the issues with Thibs and the FO, and he also was the first to mention b that Boylen and the FO working on an extention.

And it's quite obvious his story on Dunn was right last off-season considering Pax who has been transparent as hell in criticizing Dunn since then.

I think most people who report on sources should be taken with a grain of salt.

And considering the things you've mentioned as some sort of evidence that he is reliable, isn't comforting either, considering he has probably reported on more than a 100 things from his sources, so it's not exactly a high hit rate either.
Why so serious?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#104 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Why's that? Is it because he isn't right 100% of the time? He's been right on things in the past. He was the one that said the FO was hiding how serious Noah's knee issues were, he was the one that called much of the issues with Thibs and the FO, and he also was the first to mention b that Boylen and the FO working on an extention.

And it's quite obvious his story on Dunn was right last off-season considering Pax who has been transparent as hell in criticizing Dunn since then.

And considering the things you've mentioned as some sort of evidence that he is reliable, isn't comforting either, considering he has probably reported on more than a 100 things from his sources, so it's not exactly a high hit rate either.

The things I mentioned were just at the top of my head. Those weren't the only things he's reported that he was right about.

Again, not saying he's 100% accurate, but when you call him a clown it's pretty clear you are pretty much brushing him off as something that shouldn't be taken seriously at all.

Not saying he is right again, but what Cowley is saying here shouldn't be brushed off. Some of these things will he interesting to note. The Dunn stuff doesn't surprise me at all.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#105 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

The things I mentioned were just at the top of my head. Those weren't the only things he's reported that he was right about.

Again, not saying he's 100% accurate, but when you call him a clown it's pretty clear you are pretty much brushing him off as something that shouldn't be taken seriously at all.

Not saying he is right again, but what Cowley is saying here shouldn't be brushed off. Some of these things will he interesting to note. The Dunn stuff doesn't surprise me at all.

And for the record, I say this as someone that use to think he was a clown too, but he has definitely proven himself more often than not when you look at things objectively and not just as a Bulls fan.

And again I get that he makes it hard to do that because he really does act like a dick. Especially his DRose opinions.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#106 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

I call him a clown because he acts like a douche-bag and acts like someone who thinks he is always right which he isn't.

And I never said it should be brushed off, I said it should be taken with a grain of salt, as you would from any of these types of reports which are from sources.
Why so serious?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#107 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 am

The things I recapped in the interview are all really specific things that no one else has reported about on this team. I really wouldn't discount him. I think he's easily our best beat reporter, especially since KC and Sam Smith clearly often serve as mouthpieces for the FO.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#108 » by MeloRoseNoah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:15 am

I trust Cowley when it comes to Bulls scoop. The guy is legit and actually sounds very knowledgeable about b-ball. He may comes across as being a little bit rough, and that may annoy some people.

Yup, everyone connected to the Bulls organization has questioned Dunn motivation and work ethic including Pippen and Paxson. These guys are NBA champions and understand the type of focus and dedication needed to thrive in this league.

From the scoops, Dunn work ethic is below NBA average standard. Honestly, Dunn may just be that guy who has gotten by with his physical gifts. The guy is probably 90% percentile in all physical measurements among NBA pgs. Yet, he sucks at dribbling the ball, shooting free throws, and finishing at the basket.

These are fundamentals that HS kids can improve on with adequate prep, game tape, and practice. Yet, he continues to suck and makes lame excuses like he doesn’t know what to improve on his game. I call bs on that excuse. Quite frankly, his fundamentals suck so bad that he can literally work on anything.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#109 » by Wingy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 am

League Circles wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
League Circles wrote:I'll have to listen later but do guys who are "checked out" typically go watch summer league games with their teammates?

Hanging out in Vegas with their coworkers who they are generally friendly/friends with?

Who knows if he's actually checked out, but I don't think going to summer league matters one way or another.

I guess I don't know what "checked out" could possibly mean if it doesn't mean not voluntarily sitting next to one of your freshly extended replacements while watching the other one.

I think it means Cowley heard that Dunn left the Bellagio in a timely manner yesterday morning to avoid incurring an additional night's room fee.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#110 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:22 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:I trust Cowley when it comes to Bulls scoop. The guy is legit and actually sounds very knowledgeable about b-ball. He may comes across as being a little bit rough, and that may annoy some people.

Yup, everyone connected to the Bulls organization has questioned Dunn motivation and work ethic including Pippen and Paxson. These guys are NBA champions and understand the type of focus and dedication needed to thrive in this league.

From the scoops, Dunn work ethic is below NBA average standard. Honestly, Dunn may just be that guy who has gotten by with his physical gifts. The guy is probably 90% percentile in all physical measurements among NBA pgs. Yet, he sucks at dribbling the ball, shooting free throws, and finishing at the basket.

These are fundamentals that HS kids can improve on with adequate prep, game tape, and practice. Yet, he continues to suck and makes lame excuses like he doesn’t know what to improve on his game. I call bs on that excuse. Quite frankly, his fundamentals suck so bad that he can literally work on anything.

Usually these bad habits don't suddenly develop early in your NBA career when you're trying to establish yourself. Would have been nice for the Bulls to have caught that in their background check on him considering how high they were on him. Can you imagine how much trouble this franchise would be in if we did the initial Butler trade a year earlier centered around Dunn?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,410

Post#111 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:24 am

HomoSapien wrote:Just listened to the entire thing. I thought this was a really insightful interview. Here are some interesting takeaways that haven't been discussed much:

- Dunn confronted Cowley and asked him to tell him who on the Bulls was saying he was dogging it in workouts after being offended about the Bulls interest in Trae Young. Cowley said he refused to give up his sources. Basically thinks that Dunn could become a distraction on this team.

- Cowley said that Boylen negotiated in his contract that his coaching staff would be upgraded. This wasn't a mandate by the Bulls, it was driven by Boylen and he wanted to make sure he had a say in the staff. Cowley said Boylen knows more about basketball than he's given credit for. Also said that Boylen, coming in, was almost like Game of Thrones. Even though he wasn't officially an interim coach, he felt like he was and evaluated who would be a threat to his "throne" and he determined Randy Brown could be one.

- This is the first off-season in about 5 years where they had an actual plan that they executed. Usually the FO and Coaching Staff had a big disconnect in what the FO would grab them what they wanted. This time they were finally in synch. Boylen got the guys he wanted --- specifically redundant players off the bench. Felt like going between Wendell and Robin Lopez was difficult for their young players because they'd have to completely change their style of play both offensively and defensively based on who was in.

- Bulls are really hoping that Lauri and LaVine turn into stars and that they'll be able to add a third star in two seasons when all these extra contracts come off the books. That said, this team is pretty much locked for the next two years.

- Cowley would be shocked if the Bulls pursued Westbrook. Doesn't think he's the type of player Boylen wants to coach. Also doesn't fit in from a culture standpoint.

- The hope is that Shaq Harrison gets through waivers and ends up back on the team. The Blakeney and Felicio contracts are roadblocks that have prevented them from having finished roster they want.

- There were at least 6 NBA teams who Cowley talked to or heard from that said Darius Garland's medical reports were absolutely awful. There's also some off the court issues that have teams raising their eyebrows about Garland. Cavs think he may not be ready until December. Bulls couldn't gamble on another bad knee.

- Daniel Gafford's expected to get some significant minutes this season.

That Garland tidbit is interesting. I really do think this draft class is going to be as projected, terribly uninteresting outside of Oliver Miller er I mean Zion (just jokes). What if Gafford ends up being the 5th best player drafted, not that I think that will happen but this class seems all red flags.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#112 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 am

HomoSapien wrote:The things I recapped in the interview are all really specific things that no one else has reported about on this team. I really wouldn't discount him. I think he's easily our best beat reporter, especially since KC and Sam Smith clearly often serve as mouthpieces for the FO.

KC has his value too and he's likely more plugged in with things like day to day things the Bulls might do. Or type of players they may target in the draft or free agency. He was pretty accurate in that regards this year that's for sure.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#113 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:40 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:The things I recapped in the interview are all really specific things that no one else has reported about on this team. I really wouldn't discount him. I think he's easily our best beat reporter, especially since KC and Sam Smith clearly often serve as mouthpieces for the FO.

KC has his value too and he's likely more plugged in with things like day to day things the Bulls might do. Or type of players they may target in the draft or free agency. He was pretty accurate in that regards this year that's for sure.

I think KC's value is trying to read between the lines and figure out if it's his opinion or whether he's parroting something he's been told. He's a super nice guy, and has survived by not ruffling any feathers. There's both an upside and a downside to that approach.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#114 » by JimmyJammer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Chitownbulls wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:
And then Trae Young lit him up for 50+ pts on their matchup.

Lol. I thought Dunn was a bulldog with untapped aggression and transcendent work ethic. But he’s nothing more than a fake hustler / thug who’s probably eating donuts and playing NBA2K all day.

Very disappointed in the dude bc he has the MJ physical profile at pg. The dude is just a straight wuss who doesn’t want to compete for food on the table.

Kris Dunn is a thug?

When you try cheap shots on a rookie who’s lighting you up for 50+ pts for the night? Yes

When there are rumors of you pulling a Bobby Portis aggression on a drafted rookie in practice, yes.

He’s more fitting to be a Knicks than a Bulls.

Bro, I am on the side of trading Dunn as soon as a good deal comes, but you are really taking it too far with your assertions. Dunn is definitely not a thug, though he tried to rough up Trae Young a bit. Additionally, why do you take at face value some rumors circulating about Dunn planning on getting excessively aggressive with presumably White?
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#115 » by MeloRoseNoah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 am

HomoSapien wrote:
Usually these bad habits don't suddenly develop early in your NBA career when you're trying to establish yourself. Would have been nice for the Bulls to have caught that in their background check on him considering how high they were on him. Can you imagine how much trouble this franchise would be in if we did the initial Butler trade a year earlier centered around Dunn?

No method is perfect. But, I think that GarPax, after this failed Dunn pg experience, has carefully taken into account poor fundamentals like below average free throw % into account. This is really a simple skill that can be mastered by anyone, except if your'e Shaq.

When a dude is 22-23 yo and sucks at shooting free throw, that should be an automatic red flag questioning his fundamentals or work ethic.

But, yes. Paxson def had a hard on for Kris Dunn. The kid has the MJ physical profile at the pg position. You can't blame him. The last kid with that profile was Freaking Dwade. The difference is that Wade has an elite work ethic.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#116 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:13 am

Easily our best beat reporter. He has broken and provided so much more correct and credible insight than anybody else over the years. The best part is that the FO hates him and he has to actually do some investigative reporting. But, he digs up a lot of dirt, that's for sure. That being said, he is a dick. But, I don't care about that. I like the fact that he openly despises Gar and makes no bones about it.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#117 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:

Easily our best beat reporter. He has broken and provided so much more correct and credible insight than anybody else over the years. The best part is that the FO hates him and he has to actually do some investigative reporting. But, he digs up a lot of dirt, that's for sure. That being said, he is a dick. But, I don't care about that. I like the fact that he openly despises Gar and makes no bones about it.

Yea, Cowley hates Gar. He likes Paz though. He usually makes it a point to punch down on Gar whenever he can.
holv03
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#118 » by holv03 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 am

I believe Cowley. A lot of fans are quick to discredit his information but he has been right multiple times. Bulls have been focus on building this team around Lavine and Lauri. I like that Boylen is leading the charge and given a voice.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#119 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:32 am

Joe Cowley has simply been right about too many things and had too many things first to simply discredit him every time a piece comes out that doesn't paint the organization and/or it's players in a good light. Obviously Cowley is fairly combative and sometimes negative for a beat reporter but no one seemed to care when Woj was that way with the people he was at odds against (including the Bulls FO for a stretch).

Also, Cowley (rightly) knows that the team and organization is always going to give the positive, good news stories to KC. It doesn't mean Cowley only looks for the negatives but it means that sources who would be inclined to share positive things would probably rather do that with KC than Cowley.

We as a board simply have to let this discussion about Cowley and his nature/style stop dominating every thread in which he breaks news. Take whatever he says with as much salt as you want but I'd trust Cowley as much as I trust KC to report honestly and with as little bias as possible - they're just opposite sides of the same spectrum.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#120 » by erlim » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 am

madvillian wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Just listened to the entire thing. I thought this was a really insightful interview. Here are some interesting takeaways that haven't been discussed much:

- Dunn confronted Cowley and asked him to tell him who on the Bulls was saying he was dogging it in workouts after being offended about the Bulls interest in Trae Young. Cowley said he refused to give up his sources. Basically thinks that Dunn could become a distraction on this team.

- Cowley said that Boylen negotiated in his contract that his coaching staff would be upgraded. This wasn't a mandate by the Bulls, it was driven by Boylen and he wanted to make sure he had a say in the staff. Cowley said Boylen knows more about basketball than he's given credit for. Also said that Boylen, coming in, was almost like Game of Thrones. Even though he wasn't officially an interim coach, he felt like he was and evaluated who would be a threat to his "throne" and he determined Randy Brown could be one.

- This is the first off-season in about 5 years where they had an actual plan that they executed. Usually the FO and Coaching Staff had a big disconnect in what the FO would grab them what they wanted. This time they were finally in synch. Boylen got the guys he wanted --- specifically redundant players off the bench. Felt like going between Wendell and Robin Lopez was difficult for their young players because they'd have to completely change their style of play both offensively and defensively based on who was in.

- Bulls are really hoping that Lauri and LaVine turn into stars and that they'll be able to add a third star in two seasons when all these extra contracts come off the books. That said, this team is pretty much locked for the next two years.

- Cowley would be shocked if the Bulls pursued Westbrook. Doesn't think he's the type of player Boylen wants to coach. Also doesn't fit in from a culture standpoint.

- The hope is that Shaq Harrison gets through waivers and ends up back on the team. The Blakeney and Felicio contracts are roadblocks that have prevented them from having finished roster they want.

- There were at least 6 NBA teams who Cowley talked to or heard from that said Darius Garland's medical reports were absolutely awful. There's also some off the court issues that have teams raising their eyebrows about Garland. Cavs think he may not be ready until December. Bulls couldn't gamble on another bad knee.

- Daniel Gafford's expected to get some significant minutes this season.

/thathappened

I mean seriously. Cowley's source is probably the guy that carts out the ball racks.

how does cowley have league wide sources willing to divulge highly sensitive info on Garland?

When is the last time cowley had a legit scoop that nobody else had, either a bulls trade, signing or other significant event other than just **** like where player x isn't happy and an anonymous source is used?

never? If it's never happened it's because his sources are trash. There have probably been more legit sources on RealGM over the last decade on the Bulls board.

Cowley seems like he has sources on the players/ground level. Like, the players don’t know when they are going to be traded.

Return to Chicago Bulls