Image ImageImage Image

Cowley on the Score: "Dunn has checked out"

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Re: Cowley on the Score: "Dunn has checked out" 

Post#141 » by sco » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm

IMO, Fred made a mistake when he "handed over the keys" to Dunn very early in his tenure. Maybe he had no choice and was trying to build up his confidence, but I think Dunn started resting on his laurels at that point.

I think Dunn will be given another shot in the NBA, but it will be a vet min situation and back-up. I don't think teams want his $5M and to need to give up an asset. I think Holiday isn't viewed as an asset, so it's just trash trading, which IMO, is all we'll get.

I am predicting we buy Dunn out as neither side wants him on the roster come training camp.
:clap:
bpguimaraes23
Junior
And1: 317

Post#142 » by bpguimaraes23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:
bad knees wrote:
Chitownbulls wrote:
Why would you get rid of him before camp? His value is at it's lowest...why not let him COMPETE FOR HIS JOB? His value will still be nothing before the season starts.

Trading Dunn before seeing him practice against Satoransky & White is a COMPLETE ROOKIE GM MOVE.

What if Dunn dominates them? Satoransky can play 3 positions, White isn't ready to start & Arcidiacono isn't even an NBA player.

Neither the Bulls nor we need training camp to know that, for this team, Sato and Arci are better PGs than Dunn, that White is the PG of the future, and that Dunn failed in his extended two year gift of entitlement minutes as the Bulls starting PG.

Arcidiacono is not a better player than Kris Dunn...just stop that now. If the Bulls didnt sign Arcidiacono off the GLeague squad, there's a decent chance he still might be there.

Have we tried Dunn as our 6th man scorer? Nope haven't even tried it. This guy was our closer 2 years ago....why is everyone afraid of a little competition?

6th man scorer? Dude, he might be the worst offensive PG in the league. There is not a single offensive skill he is good at. Not one. Arcidiacono is absolutely better than Dunn.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#143 » by Ice Man » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 pm

MAQ wrote:Feels like the classic hit piece put out by the FO when they are done with players.

It certainly does, although Cowley is usually the opposite of management's tool. But perhaps it played him, by leaking info that Cowley would think that the FO didn't want out there, only the FO actually did want out there, but the material was too dirty to run through its usual mouthpiece (KC).

I'm rarely one for conspiracy theories but this FO has proven over the years that it doesn't deserve to be taken at anything near face value.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#144 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:48 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Lot of inside info here:

- Not announced yet, but WCJ's surgery is an exploratory surgery. Might be a sports hernia. :confused:

- Valentine's foot is not healing the way it's supposed to. :sigh:

- Dunn has a bit of Bobby Portis (practice anger) in him?

- Biggest thing... Coby is not really a PG... yet (hopefully). This is clearly a Cowley take, cause Boylen and Roy Williams think otherwise. Usually you play a bigger position in college, not smaller. He's obviously a score-first guy but Coby's passing and handles are too advanced to peg him a SG or Lou Williams type. Still, it beg the question.. was it smart signing Sato? A fringe PG himself? And Arci, a fringe NBA talent? It's not good when a PG scores 25 points and has a "good" game but his team gets blown out by 30. I don't want to see Zach running an offense.

I still personally think the roster is largely crap. Shaq Harrison might've been the 8th best player on the roster but he's gone so that Felicio, Dunn, Valentine, Hutch (and Arci to a lesser extent) make their cash. As I said, I'd like to dump this lot out and just bring in 1 overpaid vet expiring. It's too late, after the draft and SL starts all the team's dirt comes out, but I would've tried to send this crap bundle to Cleveland with a future 2nd for JR Smith (three 1st picks and a Felicio, you can spin it :P ).

I do like Coby-Zach-Porter-Lauri as some kind of core, but it's a bit alarming going into a season without a true PG distributor. Kind of begs the question whether a Ricky Rubio would've been the better choice, actually, over Sato. I need somebody to give Lauri and Wendell better looks.

Thanks for the Cliffs Notes, I can't find the time to keep up with all these podcasts!!!

Here's what sucks - it's year 4 for him and this is right about when these guys figure it out in the NBA.
Kris would have gotten it sooner but he can't stay on the floor.
His first year was more or less wasted with Thibs

When he is on the floor I love everything about him.

If he doesn't play - he's still an enigma that other GM's will query about.

If he does play and gets hurt again, his value takes another hit.

Coby needs at least a year, kid is 19.
Dunns value is as low as it gets. He might as well play and try to jack that up - or we see him get hurt again in which case watching him walk is better than overpaying a guy who is injury prone.

Other teams need this guy. Lakers & Rockets especially.

Starting White over him opening night will not sit well if that happens.

We won that Butler trade already.
I think Dunn is an asset we can still get a 1st rd pick for if he plays some decent minutes.
I'd keep him until the Feb deadline.

s
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#145 » by MGB8 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Might be time to tell Dunn... for this year, you are a reserve wing.

Mentally, it might actually help his development.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#146 » by ZOMG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Lot of inside info here:

- Not announced yet, but WCJ's surgery is an exploratory surgery. Might be a sports hernia. :confused:

- Valentine's foot is not healing the way it's supposed to. :sigh:

- Dunn has a bit of Bobby Portis (practice anger) in him?

- Biggest thing... Coby is not really a PG... yet (hopefully). This is clearly a Cowley take, cause Boylen and Roy Williams think otherwise. Usually you play a bigger position in college, not smaller. He's obviously a score-first guy but Coby's passing and handles are too advanced to peg him a SG or Lou Williams type. Still, it beg the question.. was it smart signing Sato? A fringe PG himself? And Arci, a fringe NBA talent? It's not good when a PG scores 25 points and has a "good" game but his team gets blown out by 30. I don't want to see Zach running an offense.

I still personally think the roster is largely crap. Shaq Harrison might've been the 8th best player on the roster but he's gone so that Felicio, Dunn, Valentine, Hutch (and Arci to a lesser extent) make their cash. As I said, I'd like to dump this lot out and just bring in 1 overpaid vet expiring. It's too late, after the draft and SL starts all the team's dirt comes out, but I would've tried to send this crap bundle to Cleveland with a future 2nd for JR Smith (three 1st picks and a Felicio, you can spin it :P ).

I do like Coby-Zach-Porter-Lauri as some kind of core, but it's a bit alarming going into a season without a true PG distributor. Kind of begs the question whether a Ricky Rubio would've been the better choice, actually, over Sato. I need somebody to give Lauri and Wendell better looks.

Thanks for the Cliffs Notes, I can't find the time to keep up with all these podcasts!!!

Here's what sucks - it's year 4 for him and this is right about when these guys figure it out in the NBA.
Kris would have gotten it sooner but he can't stay on the floor.
His first year was more or less wasted with Thibs

When he is on the floor I love everything about him.

If he doesn't play - he's still an enigma that other GM's will query about.

If he does play and gets hurt again, his value takes another hit.

Coby needs at least a year, kid is 19.
Dunns value is as low as it gets. He might as well play and try to jack that up - or we see him get hurt again in which case watching him walk is better than overpaying a guy who is injury prone.

Other teams need this guy. Lakers & Rockets especially.

Starting White over him opening night will not sit well if that happens.

We won that Butler trade already.
I think Dunn is an asset we can still get a 1st rd pick for if he plays some decent minutes.
I'd keep him until the Feb deadline.

If there's one thing Kris Dunn is NOT, it's an "enigma". The Bulls have made sure that every single wart in his game has been displayed over and over again.

The League knows who Kris Dunn is. Unfortunately.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#147 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm

For whatever it's worth, I think Cowley was off saying "Coby is more SG than PG," and claiming Zach is more of a PG.

Coby demonstrates better vision, IQ, passing accuracy and keeps his head up in transition. He's not Steve Nash, but I can't believe Cowley would claim that 'Zach is more PG than Coby' (to paraphrase). Zach's issue is he gets tunnel vision, especially in the clutch. I can't imagine Coby having that problem. Looks way more comfortable throwing lobs and hockey assists.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#148 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 am

KC latest mailbag response on Dunn:

I’d say it’s more likely than not that Dunn is elsewhere come training camp. The Bulls won’t trade him for nothing. But you have to believe all parties would be better off if he is elsewhere. And White and Satoransky are both going to play a lot, while Ryan Arcidiacono is coming off a strong season and fits what the Bulls need in a lead guard — a smart decision maker who has strong ball security and can hit an open 3-pointer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-bulls-mailbag-zach-lavine-lauri-markkanen-20190711-uqt2weeqezbftpug74f7b4h3mm-story.html

Pax
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#149 » by sco » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 am

Read on Twitter
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls