Image ImageImage Image

Jim Boylen mentions Dunn as starting point guard

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Re: Jim Boylen mentions Dunn as starting point guard 

Post#121 » by NWIBullsFan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 am

It's so simple, of course Dunn is the starter right now. Sato has never worn a Bulls uniform, and Coby has never played an NBA game.

If neither of them (or Arci or whoever) can't beat out Dunn for opening night PG*, we are in a heap of trouble.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#122 » by Bandit King » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 am

I bet he loses the starting job in less then week into preseason!
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#123 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:55 am

The Boylen comment about Dunn starting and now the new Paxson tweet saying White still has a lot to learn and he'll do it at his own pace has me thinking that we're sincerely expecting to go into the season with Dunn.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#124 » by SfBull » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:55 am

Jimako10 wrote:If the team is serious about winning this year, and by winning, I mean trying to make the playoffs, you can't waste games in the beginning of the season trying to increase Dunn's value by playing him. If you can't find any team that would take him for even a 2nd rounder, then just cut him/buy him out.

The games at the beginning of the season count just as much as the games at the end so it's important that the new players brought it have ample time to gel with the core as much as possible because they will be fighting for a playoff spot. Dunn is not part of that future, so just let him go.

That's it.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#125 » by Axolotl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

HomoSapien wrote:The Boylen comment about Dunn starting and now the new Paxson tweet saying White still has a lot to learn and he'll do it at his own pace has me thinking that we're sincerely expecting to go into the season with Dunn.

There are certainly mixed messages about Dunn - he may be a starter, he may be as good as out. I have no idea on the credibility of these messages or what to believe.

It seems like Boylen and Paxson are addressing the reports that Dunn would be out, and Boylen certainly sounds like Dunn is in. Coupled with Paxson's down to earth comments about White being a project, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn in a Bulls uniform come october. And, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing well either. He is talented enough.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,214

Post#126 » by coldfish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:34 pm

The Bulls went 7-8 with Otto playing. During that time, the team was using the multi-ball handler approach. Whomever got the rebound brought it up and they ran a simplistic motion offense where the ball swung from side to side and different people would run pick and rolls. It worked fantastically well, with the Bulls being #1 in offense in the entire NBA for that stretch. The numbers for the team with Arci as PG vs Dunn are stagerring with the team being worlds better with Arci instead of Dunn.

Why is this? Well, Dunn basically pounds the ball and when he doesn't have it, teams cheat off him. Arci isn't a particularly talented player but he willingly gives the ball to the players that are and then hits open shots at a rate that teams consider him a danger to leave unguarded.

Dunn is a horrible fit for what Chicago wants to do. PG's are supposed to make their teammates better but Dunn makes his worse. He has been playing with Lavine for years now and has never done well playing next to him. Dunn has to fit Lauri and Lavine, not vice versa. It was never MJ's responsibility to fit next to Jud Buechler.

I'm not sure what the Bulls have in White. I'm not going to freak out about SL because so many really good guards have played poorly there but he is a rookie after all. That said, even if you disregard White, Dunn is still your third best PG behind Arci and Sato. Him being a part of the team is laughable. I don't hold the throwaway comment by Boylen against him but sheesh, the amount of support Dunn continues to get is stunning. The dude checks off all the boxes for someone you don't want on the team.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#127 » by rtblues » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 pm

There is no way that Satoransky does not become the starting PG.
He is so obviously the best of the bunch at the position.
So much so, I'm not even going to answer any troll-backs to this comment suggesting otherwise.

He just is, and if you don't see that, well, wow, that's not logical.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#128 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

The Bulls better get this right. Without a proper PG, this team will suck badly. Lavine is not a PG. You need a good PG if this team has to take the next step and they have been floundering around looking for one for a long, long time. Boylen and Pax better have their eyes on a trade if Sato doesn't work out and Dunn is the old Dunn.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#129 » by ZOMG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Jimako10 wrote:If the team is serious about winning this year, and by winning, I mean trying to make the playoffs, you can't waste games in the beginning of the season trying to increase Dunn's value by playing him. If you can't find any team that would take him for even a 2nd rounder, then just cut him/buy him out.

The games at the beginning of the season count just as much as the games at the end so it's important that the new players brought it have ample time to gel with the core as much as possible because they will be fighting for a playoff spot. Dunn is not part of that future, so just let him go.

100% agree. Just the thought of actually sacrificing valuable regular season games and development time for the roster because of Kris Dunn is batsh*t insane.

For god's sake, he's gonna be 26 this season!! And some people are still talking about him as this "tremendous upside" guy who's basically still just a rookie.

CUT.

THE.

CORD.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#130 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm

HomoSapien wrote:The Boylen comment about Dunn starting and now the new Paxson tweet saying White still has a lot to learn and he'll do it at his own pace has me thinking that we're sincerely expecting to go into the season with Dunn.

I feel like Pax said the same thing about Coby from the get go. I always felt that they were going to get a more experienced PG in free agency, and when they signed Sato that he would be the starter.

It really just makes no sense to start Dunn, because he's not only proven to be a horrible fit with Lavine, but he doesn't work into the longterm plan. Unless he all of a sudden develops a reliable 3 ball (and an off the ball game in general), I don't expect that to change.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#131 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 pm

coldfish wrote:The Bulls went 7-8 with Otto playing. During that time, the team was using the multi-ball handler approach. Whomever got the rebound brought it up and they ran a simplistic motion offense where the ball swung from side to side and different people would run pick and rolls. It worked fantastically well, with the Bulls being #1 in offense in the entire NBA for that stretch. The numbers for the team with Arci as PG vs Dunn are stagerring with the team being worlds better with Arci instead of Dunn.

Why is this? Well, Dunn basically pounds the ball and when he doesn't have it, teams cheat off him. Arci isn't a particularly talented player but he willingly gives the ball to the players that are and then hits open shots at a rate that teams consider him a danger to leave unguarded.

Dunn is a horrible fit for what Chicago wants to do. PG's are supposed to make their teammates better but Dunn makes his worse. He has been playing with Lavine for years now and has never done well playing next to him. Dunn has to fit Lauri and Lavine, not vice versa. It was never MJ's responsibility to fit next to Jud Buechler.

I'm not sure what the Bulls have in White. I'm not going to freak out about SL because so many really good guards have played poorly there but he is a rookie after all. That said, even if you disregard White, Dunn is still your third best PG behind Arci and Sato. Him being a part of the team is laughable. I don't hold the throwaway comment by Boylen against him but sheesh, the amount of support Dunn continues to get is stunning. The dude checks off all the boxes for someone you don't want on the team.

Yeah, I would MUCH rather see Arci starting over Dunn. Sato is obvious choice, but if we are going to play him off the bench at least start the guy who can shoot and hit an open 3 and is a better distributor. The Bulls were actually a decent team with him playing the point.

Offense and defense significantly better with Arci on the floor..
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#132 » by TheStig » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 pm

I think you're reading too much into this. Unless you sign an elite PG, a guy doesn't just loose his starting spot in the offseason. It will be decided in training camp. I would be surprised if Sato isn't the starting pg in the opener.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#133 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm

rtblues wrote:There is no way that Satoransky does not become the starting PG.
He is so obviously the best of the bunch at the position.
So much so, I'm not even going to answer any troll-backs to this comment suggesting otherwise.

He just is, and if you don't see that, well, wow, that's not logical.

Rex is our quarterback.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#134 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
coldfish wrote:The Bulls went 7-8 with Otto playing. During that time, the team was using the multi-ball handler approach. Whomever got the rebound brought it up and they ran a simplistic motion offense where the ball swung from side to side and different people would run pick and rolls. It worked fantastically well, with the Bulls being #1 in offense in the entire NBA for that stretch. The numbers for the team with Arci as PG vs Dunn are stagerring with the team being worlds better with Arci instead of Dunn.

Yeah, I would MUCH rather see Arci starting over Dunn. Sato is obvious choice, but if we are going to play him off the bench at least start the guy who can shoot and hit an open 3 and is a better distributor. The Bulls were actually a decent team with him playing the point.

Offense and defense significantly better with Arci on the floor..

No you are wrong. I read on these boards right here that there are 15 players better than Arci that we could have had for cheaper than him. Your facts mean nothing because I have read others biased opinions.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#135 » by Jello Biafra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm

ZOMG wrote:

100% agree. Just the thought of actually sacrificing valuable regular season games and development time for the roster because of Kris Dunn is batsh*t insane.

For god's sake, he's gonna be 26 this season!! And some people are still talking about him as this "tremendous upside" guy who's basically still just a rookie.

CUT.

THE.

CORD.

The Nuggets gave the Thunder a 1st for Jerami Grant. Dunn still has value. The board may overreact but I'm sure Pax wont.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#136 » by ZOMG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

CUT.

THE.

CORD.

The Nuggets gave the Thunder a 1st for Jerami Grant. Dunn still has value. The board may overreact but I'm sure Pax wont.

What does Jerami Grant have to do with Kris Dunn? I'm confused.

Dunn has ZERO value.
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#137 » by Alcatraz17 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Alcatraz17 wrote:And I am not saying his PC answer is enough to convince 29 other teams Dunn has value...but I do believe they don't wanna backtrack if for some reason Dunn in starting line-up makes sense at beginning of the season. We all believe Dunn most likely is out...but it wouldn't be the craziest thing to see Dunn play just fine with the starting 5.

Giving Dunn some support to his confidence that its his job to lose or to prove he can play so another team maybe be interested in him isn't a bad move.

It's more likely that Dunn is an awful fit with the starting lineup. Playing Dunn this season would be a waste of time.

There is absolutely no reason for them to convince themselves of that in the middle of July. But ok... :noway:
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#138 » by rtblues » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Dunn will be the starting PG right up until the time that he's waived right before the start of training camp...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#139 » by Red8911 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Pax said that from day one though after drafting White that he’s going to need time. All that means is white will be coming off the bench. Satoransky is on the team now too, he’s most likely the starter.

The Boylen comment doesn’t mean much they are still trying to trade him. They are making it look like they want him here just in case they don’t find a deal to trade him. It’s in the best interest for the bulls to keep him happy until they ship him out of here. So far they haven’t found the right deal but they probably will eventually. Don’t believe everything they say.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#140 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Pax said that from day one though after drafting White that he’s going to need time. All that means is white will be coming off the bench. Satoransky is on the team now too, he’s most likely the starter.

The Boylen comment doesn’t mean much they are still trying to trade him. They are making it look like they want him here just in case they don’t find a deal to trade him. It’s in the best interest for the bulls to keep him happy until they ship him out of here. So far they haven’t found the right deal but they probably will eventually. Don’t believe everything they say.

Just listened to his actual interview instead of just the Tweet that was circulating. I think you're right. It just seemed like more more of a generic we're going to be patient with our rookie comment than anything tied to Dunn.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls