Image ImageImage Image

The Bulls should go after Sam Presti

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Ayman78
Sophomore
And1: 51

The Bulls should go after Sam Presti 

Post#1 » by Ayman78 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

This a simple proposal the Bulls need to consider moving Gar Forman to director of scouting and bring in Sam Presti currently the GM for the Thunder. Rational for all parties:

Bulls bring in a new set of eyes and has demonstrated the ability to acquire big time players while working in a small market.

Sam Presti gets a new start and possible long term security in the 3rd biggest market in the country.

OKC gets to start with a complete clean slate to take the team into the future.

I'd like to get your views on this topic. Thanks
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Re: The Bulls should go after Sam Presti 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Presti has been a bit of an up and down guy for me, but overall I think he's pretty good.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,513

Post#3 » by panthermark » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Ayman78 wrote:This a simple proposal the Bulls need to consider moving Gar Forman to director of scouting and bring in Sam Presti currently the GM for the Thunder. Rational for all parties:

Bulls bring in a new set of eyes and has demonstrated the ability to acquire big time players while working in a small market.

Sam Presti gets a new start and possible long term security in the 3rd biggest market in the country.

OKC gets to start with a complete clean slate to take the team into the future.

I'd like to get your views on this topic. Thanks

I'm not sure why OKC would want to get rid of him.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#4 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Why would Presti leave OKC to work for Reinsdorf?
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#5 » by jacoby1us » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:Why would Presti leave OKC to work for Reinsdorf?

Bigger market.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#6 » by Jcool0 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

jacoby1us wrote:

Bigger market.

So?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#7 » by jake_swivel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 pm

jacoby1us wrote:

Bigger market.

Can’t see the upside of a bigger market if it doesn’t attract top tier free agents or have a front office that is more willing than normal to go into the luxury tax. Neither of which seem to be in Chicago’s favor.

OKC fans are weirdly pissed with him, though. As an Oklahoman, I think most of the upset fans are newish NBA fans who don’t understand much beyond what happens on the court. And not even that a lot of times. They’re spoiled OU football fans who think they should be elite every year.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#8 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 pm

I am not so sure about Presti. He has been better than GarPax but he had 3 young HOF talents and somehow didn't come away with even 1 championship. He has been good or lucky with draft picks but he has not been able to build the right teams. He has struggled to figure out building a good basketball team. He has struggled to hire the right coaches.

All that said, the Bulls need to move on from GarPax for him to come to Chicago. There is no chance of that happening. If you are OKC and you have all those picks, who else will you trust with those picks?

I will say this. He fits Reinsdorf criteria in some ways. He is not overly flashy and depends on draft picks(cheap talent) which is what Reinsdorf wants. Plus, he is used to managing based on small market(limited spending) expectations. This might fit in with the Reinsdorfs.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#9 » by TheStig » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:

Bigger market.

Can’t see the upside of a bigger market if it doesn’t attract top tier free agents or have a front office that is more willing than normal to go into the luxury tax. Neither of which seem to be in Chicago’s favor.

OKC fans are weirdly pissed with him, though. As an Oklahoman, I think most of the upset fans are newish NBA fans who don’t understand much beyond what happens on the court. And not even that a lot of times. They’re spoiled OU football fans who think they should be elite every year.

I think Chicago would attract more top tier talent if they had a excellent FO and got good young talent.

I'm not sure Presti is that guy though. He's done some good stuff and made some bad moves.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,254

Post#10 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:22 pm

jacoby1us wrote:

Bigger market.

Presti isn’t an idiot. Chicago acts as a smaller market team than the Thunder.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#11 » by jake_swivel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:24 pm

TheStig wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:
Bigger market.

I think Chicago would attract more top tier talent if they had a excellent FO and got good young talent.

I'm not sure Presti is that guy though. He's done some good stuff and made some bad moves.

They were well regarded in the mid 2000s and still ended up with Booz and Ben Wallace.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#12 » by MeloRoseNoah » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Sam Presti is elite in two facets of GMing:

1) Trading
2) Drafting young talent

I would cream in my pants for Sam Presti to come to Chicago. He would right this ship and turn us into an instant contender in 2-3 years instead of being stuck in no man land under GarPax at this point.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#13 » by TheStig » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:29 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
TheStig wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

They were well regarded in the mid 2000s and still ended up with Booz and Ben Wallace.

Meh, if Pat Riley were here, you'd have had the big 3 here. Better team, Wade's home and bigger market. But when you have a great exec, he helps you pick the Heat over the Bulls or the Clips over the Lakers.
inescape
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#14 » by inescape » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm

I can’t think of a better GM job in the league than the Bulls. It’s almost impossible to get fired you have ultimate job security. It’s like coaching the Steelers. As much as it is true that the Bulls act like a small market team the fact is the position would be highly sought after if it became available. The problem is Jerry would never conduct a real search, he always hires who he knows. Can’t have strong personalities in that building.
Who needs to see when the Bulls aren't on?
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#15 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Because he traded for picks that will be late 1st rounders? People said the same thing about Ainge who sat on those picks and really got nothing of value for those picks because he refused to part with them. Now, if those picks are parlayed into players, then it's a smart move
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#16 » by sco » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Can he play back-up SF?
:clap:
Scalaboner
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#17 » by Scalaboner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Sam Presti drafts well and takes chances on trades, but he is also the guy who had Harden, Russ, and KD and only got one finals appearance out of that group and traded away Harden. I really wanted David Griffin for similar reasons why one would want Presti, but I think Presti might be a tad overrated. Though Gar sucks so I’d pretty much take anyone over him.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#18 » by transplant » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 am

If a Bulls GM had once had Durant, Westbrook, Harden and George and now had none of them and hadn't won a title...
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#19 » by Axl Rose » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:51 am

Presti had a ton of luck with those picks. He'll never come close to striking on that much talent again (Which he only has a sole finals appearance to show for). The Perkins and Harden trades sucked. He rescinded a trade where he got Tyson Chandler for practically free over a toe injury :lol: I have to think with Tyson they would have won a championship if he was engaged like he was in Dallas.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#20 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 am

transplant wrote:If a Bulls GM had once had Durant, Westbrook, Harden and George and now had none of them and hadn't won a title...

To his credit, he acquired all of those players himself with the cupboard being barren just like the Pre-Pace era.

Now, he’s putting the team on a fantastic rebuilding process for the next 2-3 years with 11-13 first rounders to reload for cheap.

If he lucks into a superstar or two in the next 2-3 draft, he would have cap space for 2-3 max cats in addition to the cheap young talent.

That’s the type of vision you want from your GM.

Return to Chicago Bulls