Image ImageImage Image

Coby White Scouting Report from a UNC Homer

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Re: Coby White Scouting Report from a UNC Homer 

Post#21 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:06 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:Yup. Coby White has an elite work ethic even by NBA standards.

Bulls nation is going to be very surprised at the development of this guy throughout the upcoming season.

It will be a joy.

I hope so. I can’t imagine he has a better work ethic than Sean May though. Yes that is sarcasm.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#22 » by Dresden » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/does-coby-whites-summer-league-170758435.html

Article shows SL stats of some of the top pg's in the last 2-3 years. What is worrisome is that Coby's fg% (33%) is a full 5 points worse than the next worst player (Trae Young- 38%). And that includes about 10 pg's, including Kris Dunn.

I do really appreciate the post from the OP, and the sharing of those observations.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#23 » by RememberLu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 am

lilojmayo, remember that guy? Always used to come around here pumping OJ Mayo's stock
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#24 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 am

Dresden wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/does-coby-whites-summer-league-170758435.html

Article shows SL stats of some of the top pg's in the last 2-3 years. What is worrisome is that Coby's fg% (33%) is a full 5 points worse than the next worst player (Trae Young- 38%). And that includes about 10 pg's, including Kris Dunn.

I do really appreciate the post from the OP, and the sharing of those observations.

We nerd out on this stuff and it is all we have to talk about now but the SL stats really do nothing for me. It’s such a hodgepodge team wise and talent wise. I am not even sure what they wanted white to work on either in SL. You would rather see good numbers posted though for sure. His shooting was abysmal.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#25 » by skiz2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:Yup. Coby White has an elite work ethic even by NBA standards.

Bulls nation is going to be very surprised at the development of this guy throughout the upcoming season.

It will be a joy.

I hope so. I can’t imagine he has a better work ethic than Sean May though. Yes that is sarcasm.

I remember during the championship run in 05 during one game they put up a graphic comparing his heights and weights his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years. It was all the same height and pretty much all the same weight. The commentators saw the graphic and there was silence. Then one said well Sean’s weight is more in his chest now. It was the awkwardest commentary of the game. May that year did put in a ton of work into his game, but none absolutely 0 into his body.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#26 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 am

skiz2 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

It will be a joy.

I remember during the championship run in 05 during one game they put up a graphic comparing his heights and weights his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years. It was all the same the commentators saw the graphic there was silence and then one said well Sean’s weight is more in his chest now. It was the awkwardest commentary of the game. May that year did put in a ton of work into his game, but none absolutely 0 into his body.

Interested who are the other heels on the list of good work ethic. Obviously I am going to assume MJ but who are the other 3 in your book.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#27 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:11 am

RememberLu wrote:lilojmayo, remember that guy? Always used to come around here pumping OJ Mayo's stock

Loved me some lilojmayo. His thread defending Mayo’s hairline is Top 5 all time.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by skiz2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:12 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
skiz2 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I remember during the championship run in 05 during one game they put up a graphic comparing his heights and weights his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years. It was all the same the commentators saw the graphic there was silence and then one said well Sean’s weight is more in his chest now. It was the awkwardest commentary of the game. May that year did put in a ton of work into his game, but none absolutely 0 into his body.

Interested who are the other heels on the list of good work ethic. Obviously I am going to assume MJ but who are the other 3 in your book.

From my guys:

1. MJ
2. Tyler Hansbrough
3. Coby White
4. George Lynch
5. Antawn Jamison

Cam Johnson and Luke Maye are top 10 too. They tell me now that Cole Anthony is making a strong case for himself to enter into the top 5. I know Coby did what was best for his family. But man a Coby/Cole backcourt would’ve made other teams pee their pants.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,470

Post#29 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:25 am

I love post like this

Thanks for sharing man!
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#30 » by RSP83 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 am

ZOMG wrote:Guys... having watched the SL, a horrible thought just popped into my head.

I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Is Coby White just a young Kris Dunn?

The similarities in their games (and problems) are truly eerie.

Can't really shoot, trouble finishing at basket, quick but not elite athlete, high/loose dribble, likes to pound ball, questionable decisions, true PG instincts weak (used to be a scorer)... see what I mean?

Somebody hold me.

Having watched both play in SL, I think they're both very different players. Their core identity is different, Dunn from the beginning was always a guy who look to set up the table and the tempo. Regardless how good he is in that role, that's who Dunn is. He's not a scorer, he's a classic playmaker, whether it's breaking the traffic and finding the open man or try to finish at the rim. Dunn is a better fit to play in the early to mid 2000. This is probably not a perfect comparison, but Dunn is a Rondo type player (of course not the same level in terms of court vision).

Coby is a scorer. His game is better fit to the modern game. Coby's game is much more simpler than Dunn's. Dunn likes to probe the defense often, but many times he ended up holding the ball a bit too long, but that's also because he's a limited shooter. Coby have shown that he's also probing defense, but much less than Dunn and he makes his decision faster. This is also because Coby has confidence in himself as a scorer from anywhere on the court, so he knows he can pull up anytime at any spot.

The thing about Dunn is that he's a bit of a trickster, he likes to pull flashy move. Coby in what I see so far is far from flashy, the guy is about speed and just getting the job done. Coby is not the smoothest guy, like a Zach Lavine. His game actually is more herky jerky style, but efficient. I think Coby is going to be a pretty efficient player down the road, unless Bulls give him a very large role. But as 3rd or 4th option, I think Coby can be a pretty efficient player.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,767

Post#31 » by beeshma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 am

ZOMG wrote:Guys... having watched the SL, a horrible thought just popped into my head.

Can't really shoot, trouble finishing at basket, quick but not elite athlete, high/loose dribble, likes to pound ball, questionable decisions, true PG instincts weak (used to be a scorer)... see what I mean?

Somebody hold me.

I'm seeing more of a De'aron Fox.
Dunn always over dribbled. Coby doesn't do that, he can make quick decisions and initiate movement, including feints.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#32 » by khufure » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

I love hearing his work ethic is ++. That is one thing Lavine has going for him too. And for the cynical, Dunn apparently doesn't have.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#33 » by MeloRoseNoah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:56 pm

beeshma wrote:

Somebody hold me.

I'm seeing more of a De'aron Fox.
Dunn always over dribbled. Coby doesn't do that, he can make quick decisions and initiate movement, including feints.

He's not De'aron Fox. Fox is the modern day version of Gary Payton.

It's very hard to make a logical comparison to Coby right now bc he's so young with lots of potential on a lot of things. But, I honestly think that Coby is a team player version of Gilbert Arenas.

After a season of NBA mins plus a solid offseason, Coby will give us a glimpse of what kind of player he can be next year.

I honestly wouldn't put a ceiling on him right now bc he has above average tools (not elite) in every facets that are important to playing basketball, a coachable attitude with the ability to pick up on things quick due to his high bball, and an elite work ethic.

If Coby does reach his ceiling, I think he can be a great to excellent 3rd to 2nd option of a championship team.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,767

Post#34 » by beeshma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:09 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:

Can you elaborate...Do you mean to say that Fox's notable skill is his defense?
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#35 » by MeloRoseNoah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm

beeshma wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

Can you elaborate...Do you mean to say that Fox's notable skill is his defense?

Everything including his playmaking, defense, and leadership. His offense is more geared toward the modern day offense.
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,212

Post#36 » by Senor Chang » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Good stuff! I need all the positive Coby energy there is :meditate:
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by skiz2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Somebody hold me.

Not the same player by any stretch. I saw Dunn play live when UNC played Providence in 2016 second round. I wish Dunn’s career would have played out differently considering his background but he has made millions.

Dunn was athletic, but also MUCH older at the time both entered the draft. Dunn was also much more of a physical presence in the sense that he could bully his way in the paint and no one would want to take a charge. He was also a pure PG with a lower IQ than Coby.

Coby is a much better shooter than what you saw in summer league and he will show it soon. He gets to the rim not by overpowering people, but with skill. It will be scary to see if he can put on some weight and maintain his hip flexibility. He can already get to where he wants without having to play bully ball. If he can play bully ball though while maintaining his hip flexibility, we are talking Gilbert Arenas type scorer at some point, in my homerish opinion.
mschmidt64
Senior
And1: 231

Post#38 » by mschmidt64 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:18 am

Somebody hold me.

Coby can shoot. Not knowing this means you don’t know the player.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#39 » by MeloRoseNoah » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:50 am

mschmidt64 wrote:

Somebody hold me.

Coby can shoot. Not knowing this means you don’t know the player.

Ditto. Kris Dunn at 22 y/o was a garbage free throw shooter and 3 point shooter in college

Coby at 19 y/o is an elite free throw shooter and an above average 3 point shooter in college on difficult shot attempts

I feel confident that Coby will be a .400 % three point shooter by his third NBA season.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#40 » by NDave79 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:51 am

Senor Chang wrote:Good stuff! I need all the positive Coby energy there is :meditate:

WOWWWWWWWW!!!! That's so love bro! .....................Wow!

(Just to clarify, this isn't making fun of Coby; I just find his personality endearing, awesome and hilarious.)

Return to Chicago Bulls