Image ImageImage Image

OT: Pay a sweet silent tribute to Jerry Sloan, as the once-fierce lion’s eyes grow sleepy

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

OT: Pay a sweet silent tribute to Jerry Sloan, as the once-fierce lion’s eyes grow sleepy 

Post#1 » by Jo Jo English » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Found this article worth a read after K.C. Johnson retweeted it. Although Jerry Sloan is much more closely associated these days with the Jazz franchise after his stellar coaching career, he will always remain a big part of our team's history as well.

Read on Twitter

The once-fierce lion’s eyes are tired now.

The battles — a thousand of them, and more — have been fought and won, and there is a final fight Gerald Eugene Sloan will not win. Against an opponent that never loses.

Father Time, with all its minions — in this specific case, Parkinson’s and a severe brand of dementia — pummeling humans and the human condition, the condition that is weakened, year by year, month by month, day by day, minute by minute, striking even the toughest among us.

Remain that way, it forever will.

When I recently asked someone outside the family, someone who would know the details about Sloan, asked how he was doing at age 77, even though I already had been told by others, he said three words.

“He is dying.”

Those words, human condition or no, hit with the force of a swinging tire iron.

Jerry Sloan doesn’t die.

Jerry Sloan doesn’t need care or assistance or a helping hand.

He’s … Jerry Freakin’ Sloan.

He’s a grown man’s grown man. A grown woman’s grown man, too.

But …

But.

Sloan’s double-barreled afflictions hit him a fistful of years ago, and he battled on. Their effects now are worsening. Every day is different for him, some better than others, most not so good. It’s basically a slide into oblivion. He’s frail. He’s physically and mentally limited. Around the clock care is required for him. Although, in the more recent past the old coach has been able to attend Jazz games, he will go no more.

He still likes to visit with friends in his private space and trade stories, when he’s up for it. Sloan walks when he can. His wife, Tammy, has been a saint and a stalwart in doing whatever she can to help her man, the man, spending time and sharing love with him as much as possible. His mind, though, is slipping away.

I trimmed the full article because it is behind a pay wall, and it's illegal to fully quote other articles - Doug

It will be a sad day when our NBA family loses Jerry for good. It is said a lot, but they really don't make them like him any more.

musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Re: OT: Pay a sweet silent tribute to Jerry Sloan, as the once-fierce lion’s eyes grow sleepy 

Post#2 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Jo Jo...what a lovely thread.

Hope Sloan and his family find peace as they navigate this difficult phase of life. :-(
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Re: OT: Pay a sweet silent tribute to Jerry Sloan, as the once-fierce lion’s eyes grow sleepy 

Post#3 » by Ferulci » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Man that read (and that thread) got me teary eyed.
I was born more than a decade after he retired but Sloan and uniquely know him as Utah coach, but he always represented to me the human decency, someone being able to keep his principles and be honest no matter how much money or glory are on the line.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#4 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes, I've heard about his dementia issues from someone who deals with him. That's tough to watch.

I only breezed through this but it's a really good article on someone who is easy to respect.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#5 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Sloan was a great coach and I think sometimes I still assume he's coaching the Jazz even though I really know he's not. He defined that franchise. Before his health concerns, I often advocated for the Bulls to bring him back as a head coach. Simply put, he's great.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#6 » by rtblues » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 pm

God Bless... Ultimate competitor...
I lost my mom to Alzheimer's and it's rough.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#7 » by AKfanatic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for posting that Jo Jo.

Great read, although very tough to read at times. Sloan, the player, was just a bit before my time. Sloan the coach always deserved nothing but respect. He was old school in the best sense of the term. Tough, hard nosed, professional, and anytime I think of him I think of those Stockton, Malone, Hornacek teams where his players really oozed his personality on the court.

One of the true greats and sorely missed voices in the game.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#8 » by samwana » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

rtblues wrote:God Bless... Ultimate competitor...
I lost my mom to Alzheimer's too. Rough doesn't say enough.

I have a lot of respect for every family that cares for an Alzheimer's diseased family member.

Fare you well Jerry, I hope you can leave this place without more struggle. I'll always remember you, one of the all time greats.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,412

Post#9 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Great read. I never knew about the Evansville planet crash.

Be well sir. I remember an article on him during or after a Bulls Jazz final that had him on his tractor in Illinois. Special guy he is.
sh0ck
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#10 » by sh0ck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Honestly, couldn't finish it the first time around. Getting too emotional at work.

Phew, really tough to see guys you respect like hell go on the decline.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#11 » by dumbell78 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:19 pm

That was fantastic, thanks for the read. Jerry Sloan is someone who shouldn't be forgotten. Good old fashioned man that overcame so much.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#12 » by waffle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm

adored those bulls. God they used to abuse other teams. But they were also good. It was a different game back then for sure
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#13 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 pm

samwana wrote:

I have a lot of respect for every family that cares for an Alzheimer's diseased family member.

Fare you well Jerry, I hope you can leave this place without more struggle. I'll always remember you, one of the all time greats.

It's brutal. So hard to see somebody you love go through any of it. Just as hard to be and see others who love them have to go through it with them. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, EOD. It's all cruel.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#14 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
samwana wrote:

It's brutal. So hard to see somebody you love go through any of it. Just as hard to be and see others who love them have to go through it with them. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, EOD. It's all cruel.

I saw my grandmother go through it. It's tough when someone you have known all your life doesn't recognize you or anyone else.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#15 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 pm

I always thought it was a shame that he never got to return to coach the Bulls again after his first tenure, but then again, he fit the culture of the Utah Jazz so well and he had the players which suited his style of coaching to a T.

I'm not the most emotional person I confess, but this article got me. It's so true that death comes for all of us in different ways, no matter how strong and tough you are. And Sloan was as tough as it got, both as a player, as a coach and seemingly (from what I've learned about him) as a person outside of the basketball world also.

[Edit] - my bad!
Why so serious?
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,373

Post#16 » by The Box Office » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 am

RIP Jerry Sloan. One of the greatest coaches in NBA history. I'm sure he would have won back to back with Karl Malone and John Stockton if MJ, Pip, Rodman, and Phil Jackson were not in Sloan's way.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,676

Post#17 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 am

Great article, he was a truly unique character, one of the league's great coaches.

But I'm not sure why there are RIPs above - he's not dead yet.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#18 » by dumbell78 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am

Guys he aint dead.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#19 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:03 am

dumbell78 wrote:Guys he aint dead.

Damn, my bad!
Why so serious?
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#20 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Well that sucks.....

I do wish he won a title there, like I would have been cool with it after we beat them in '98.
1999 Utah Jazz NBA Champs would been fine with me.

I still want to know what really happened with DeRon Williams someday.
That guy made an NBA lifer completely walk away from the game mid season.
It still baffles me.

77 and still smoking and drinking, that's pretty amazing.
I hope I make it that long.....

Never saw him play, but did see a couple of Bulls game when he was their coach.

Return to Chicago Bulls