Image ImageImage Image

I Love OPJ - Do You?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Do you love OPJ?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 92

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,412

Re: I Love OPJ - Do You? 

Post#41 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:He fits very well, but I wouldnt pay him more than Zach. He's a 17-19M range player IMO. Crazy he got that deal that he is on.

Yet he might opt out of this deal that no one can believe he got. The NBA is crazy. He literally may opt out of a contract that is over valued to get an even bigger one. He is kinda becoming a Joe Johnson, he isn’t an alpha but every team can use him. Good for him, funny imagining his contract versus Boogies if you went back in a time machine 3 years.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#42 » by madvillian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:He fits very well, but I wouldnt pay him more than Zach. He's a 17-19M range player IMO. Crazy he got that deal that he is on.

Yet he might opt out of this deal that no one can believe he got. The NBA is crazy. He literally may opt out of a contract that is over valued to get an even bigger one. He is kinda becoming a Joe Johnson, he isn’t an alpha but every team can use him. Good for him, funny imagining his contract versus Boogies if you went back in a time machine 3 years.

Not at all similar really. Totally different style of player and much more valuable for his off ball ability and overall two way impact.

Porter is on a fair contract. If he continues to stay healthy and produce Chicago should have no qualms about resigning him. Every contender needs a guy like him in their starting lineup.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,596

Post#43 » by Ice Man » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:58 pm

If OPJ becomes a core Bull, which may will occur, it is interesting that we got him in what basically was a salary dump for expirings. Jabari had no value, and while there was some value in Portis being an RFA so that the Wiz could match any offer he received, the Wiz didn't care much about that, either. They didn't bother to match what the Knicks bid.

Their cast-off, our gold.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#44 » by madvillian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Ice Man wrote:If OPJ becomes a core Bull, which may will occur, it is interesting that we got him in what basically was a salary dump for expirings. Jabari had no value, and while there was some value in Portis being an RFA so that the Wiz could match any offer he received, the Wiz didn't care much about that, either. They didn't bother to match what the Knicks bid.

It's become a bit of a board meme but hey Grunwald you'll got any more of those two way players we can trade bums like Portis and Jabari for?
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#45 » by FriedRise » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 pm

madvillian wrote:
Ice Man wrote:If OPJ becomes a core Bull, which may will occur, it is interesting that we got him in what basically was a salary dump for expirings. Jabari had no value, and while there was some value in Portis being an RFA so that the Wiz could match any offer he received, the Wiz didn't care much about that, either. They didn't bother to match what the Knicks bid.

It's become a bit of a board meme but hey Grunwald you'll got any more of those two way players we can trade bums like Portis and Jabari for?

Not for a bum per se, but hey, I like 11 extra wins.

TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#46 » by TeamMan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:I wasn't all that informed about Otto when I heard he was coming to Chicago...

...We're incredibly fortunate to have Otto because it ushered in this new "win now" phase of the rebuild...

IMO these excerpts from your OP make a statement about there being a fundamental change with the Bulls.

I would further add that the additions of Coby White and Daniel Gafford put the final touch on the tanking.

But also IMO the real focus of your OP is what is happening with Zach and Lauri.

It always comes to a point where a team's stars start asking the question, "When are we going to get some help!"

So, I totally agree, the early addition of OPJ stopped things from reaching that level of frustration. From his very 1st game in a Bulls uniform, Zach and Lauri knew that they already had help.

In addition, the draft and the FA signings confirmed that the Bulls are now focused (and committed) to winning.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#47 » by transplant » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm

I'm a Porter fan. Love? Can't go there yet, but most of the times I saw him play last season, he looked to me like the best Bull on the floor.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#48 » by sco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Flipping it around a bit for those of you who don't want to pay him $30M for 4 years. What SF under 30 are you going to land who is going to be even nearly as good who is going to cost less? The only excuse that would have seem plausible is if Hutch showed he was a good 3pt shooter on top of his other positive attributes, but short of that I'm not seeing a better use of that money.

Anyone letting Otto go to save $ for Giannis is foolish.
:clap:
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#49 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Get ready to watch him walk then. We got Zach on a bargain because of his injury. If LaVine was a free agent this off-season he gets at least $25 million per. You can't use LaVine's salary as a barometer of how much we pay on future contracts. Especially after seeing what other SFs that Porter is arguably just as good as or better than like Barnes, Middleton and Harris got paid.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,412

Post#50 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm

madvillian wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Not at all similar really. Totally different style of player and much more valuable for his off ball ability and overall two way impact.

Porter is on a fair contract. If he continues to stay healthy and produce Chicago should have no qualms about resigning him. Every contender needs a guy like him in their starting lineup.

Yeah they weren’t they same type of player but I would say their value is pretty similar. In today’s game OPJ is a better fit than JJ but Joe and him have similar impacts on their teams. Neither was a number one but they are guys any team could use.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#51 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Am2626 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

You really think he’s going to get more than 28M per year on the open market? Unless he breaks out this year and becomes an All Star I don’t see another team willing to pay him that much money. I don’t think he’ll opt out unless breaks out.

Getting less than $28 million per is irrelevant unless he would get significantly less which he won't if his current performance continues. Playing on an expiring deal puts you at risk of being the next Demarcus Cousins and lose a fortune. As an example 4 years/$95 million is absolutely worth opting out for. Harrison Barnes just opted out for less. You take the security of a longer deal for slightly less money per year 95 percent of the time. The only players that opt in are borderline washed up guys like Marc Gasol who will never get another big payday.

Couldn’t he just wait until 2021 to get that security? He’s still be making a lot of money in 2020 and a lot of guys bet on themselves to get a bigger payday. Yeah if he breaks out next year and is an All Star it is a no brainer for him. But if he doesn’t get substantially better next year he gets another year to prove himself.

Why wait for that security when he can get it sooner? Is he going to be significantly better at 28 years old than 27? Highly doubtful. It's also weak free agent class next year too which also plays in his favor. Finally why would he do the Bulls a favor and delay his next contract when it's already out there they will be trying to get someone better with that $27 million. His money is the money they are counting as cap space. He doesn't seem to be a fool.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#52 » by madvillian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Yeah they weren’t they same type of player but I would say their value is pretty similar. In today’s game OPJ is a better fit than JJ but Joe and him have similar impacts on their teams. Neither was a number one but they are guys any team could use.

Yea that's similar type impact in their respective primes. Joe was a great player he just got stuck on some knucklehead teams and kinda got a bad rap by osmosis.

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#53 » by Indomitable » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:14 pm

League Circles wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
League Circles wrote:I haven't been able to watch a lot of him yet, but from everything I know I really like what he brings to the table. If he stays with us I think he has a good chance to have a Luol Deng level career contribution for us, which is no small thing. High quality non ball dominant two way 3rd through 5th best starter types are incredibly underrated by many people.

Lol was never the shooter Otto is.

No, he wasn't, but guys are better shooters across the board now days, so the difference relative to era may not be that huge. But mostly I'm talking two way, glue guy that rarely ever hurts you.

If we had Otto back in. 2011. We win more games against the Heat.

That is why Lavine is going to be goldthis year. He has at least 3 to 4 guys who can really hit open shots. If Lauri and him can play better defense look out.
:banghead:
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,010

Post#54 » by Am2626 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:05 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Getting less than $28 million per is irrelevant unless he would get significantly less which he won't if his current performance continues. Playing on an expiring deal puts you at risk of being the next Demarcus Cousins and lose a fortune. As an example 4 years/$95 million is absolutely worth opting out for. Harrison Barnes just opted out for less. You take the security of a longer deal for slightly less money per year 95 percent of the time. The only players that opt in are borderline washed up guys like Marc Gasol who will never get another big payday.

Couldn’t he just wait until 2021 to get that security? He’s still be making a lot of money in 2020 and a lot of guys bet on themselves to get a bigger payday. Yeah if he breaks out next year and is an All Star it is a no brainer for him. But if he doesn’t get substantially better next year he gets another year to prove himself.

Why wait for that security when he can get it sooner? Is he going to be significantly better at 28 years old than 27? Highly doubtful. It's also weak free agent class next year too which also plays in his favor. Finally why would he do the Bulls a favor and delay his next contract when it's already out there they will be trying to get someone better with that $27 million. His money is the money they are counting as cap space. He doesn't seem to be a fool.

Yeah if he can get equal to or more than 28M per year in the open market them he should opt out but if the best he can do is 19M-20M per year which is what I think his value is currently at why would he give up 8M-9M that he is guaranteed to get?
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,010

Post#55 » by Am2626 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Indomitable wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Indomitable wrote:Lol was never the shooter Otto is.

No, he wasn't, but guys are better shooters across the board now days, so the difference relative to era may not be that huge. But mostly I'm talking two way, glue guy that rarely ever hurts you.

If we had Otto back in. 2011. We win more games against the Heat.

That is why Lavine is going to be goldthis year. He has at least 3 to 4 guys who can really hit open shots. If Lauri and him can play better defense look out.

If 2011 Bulls had this version of LaVine they probably win the NBA championship. I don’t think Otto would help that team as much because he is a similar player to Deng. That team was missing a competent 2 guard.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#56 » by waffle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 pm

he's good at basketball. He does almost everything better than average. Plus he seems to play well within a system. You could see him being an integral part of a GOOD TEAM, not a player that you look at and say "if only...."

Mark me down as fan
BeKuK
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#57 » by BeKuK » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Well, he's wearing a Bulls Jersey.......He plays for the Bulls......He did, I would say, a damn good job last season....He still has some potential to get even better........

Hell yes, no reason to NOT LOVE him.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#58 » by ZOMG » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Otto needs to show that he can play a full year without hip trouble. I know I keep harping on about this, but that stuff scares me. One minute everything's fine and you just have a "strain" now and then... and the next minute you go full Isiah Thomas.

The hip is NOT a good place to have a chronic injury/condition if you're a pro basketball player. It's almost as bad as the back.

The Bulls can't give him a huge long term team unless this is cleared up once and for all.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#59 » by transplant » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:04 pm

I think to some extent fans have numbers in their heads that are out of date. A veteran max contract doesn’t start at 20-something mildo, it starts at 40-something mildo. Good, not great players are getting 30-something mildo/year. Yeah, it’s a crazy world we live in, but it is what it is. We need to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#60 » by sco » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Some historical hip context:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/16/otto-porter-trying-find-rhythm-amid-recurring-hip-/

Porter’s hip issues are nothing new, with the forward dealing with the problem since college. His sore hip can also cause Porter’s back to lock up.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls