Image ImageImage Image

Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there"

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,836

Re: Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there" 

Post#141 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:40 pm

League Circles wrote:Doug makes good points but I'd say there have been negative trades as well:

Taking on the longer term salary of Grant and Lopez in the Rose trade was really bad IMO. Really limited our ability to actually build around Jimmy. If that was the best we could do we should have kept Rose even if only to let him expire the next summer.

The Niko trade was bad IMO. IMO we could have found better ways to tank with Niko, and Chandler Hutchison was a very poor return for a good starting caliber player like Niko as he entered his prime on a fair deal. Especially since we had to take on Asik as well.

Tyson Chandler trade was bad in real time IMO.

I agree on the Rose trade, it would have been better to clear out more cap room, though if you look at FAs available, it seems unlikely we would have done anything good with it based on who changed teams.

Forgot about the Chandler trade, I agree, that one was bad. It was kind of like the Korver trade though, a pure ownership move to avoid the tax. Chandler wouldn't have raised his value here given he had Noah and Wallace to compete with and couldn't play with either, but they should have looked for a value trade for him (maybe that wasn't possible).

Niko wasn't a bad trade IMO, he was a bad signing. If you knew you weren't going to keep him then you were better off just letting him go in FA. He probably added 3-4 wins that year, and if you could remove those wins the Bulls would have had better draft position in a great draft. He's not the type of player you sign while going through a rebuild (good but not great player that takes up a lot of cap room over a period you're not trying to win and isn't a long term piece).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Re: Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there" 

Post#142 » by League Circles » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:Doug makes good points but I'd say there have been negative trades as well:

Taking on the longer term salary of Grant and Lopez in the Rose trade was really bad IMO. Really limited our ability to actually build around Jimmy. If that was the best we could do we should have kept Rose even if only to let him expire the next summer.

The Niko trade was bad IMO. IMO we could have found better ways to tank with Niko, and Chandler Hutchison was a very poor return for a good starting caliber player like Niko as he entered his prime on a fair deal. Especially since we had to take on Asik as well.

Tyson Chandler trade was bad in real time IMO.

I agree on the Rose trade, it would have been better to clear out more cap room, though if you look at FAs available, it seems unlikely we would have done anything good with it based on who changed teams.

Forgot about the Chandler trade, I agree, that one was bad. It was kind of like the Korver trade though, a pure ownership move to avoid the tax. Chandler wouldn't have raised his value here given he had Noah and Wallace to compete with and couldn't play with either, but they should have looked for a value trade for him (maybe that wasn't possible).

Niko wasn't a bad trade IMO, he was a bad signing. If you knew you weren't going to keep him then you were better off just letting him go in FA. He probably added 3-4 wins that year, and if you could remove those wins the Bulls would have had better draft position in a great draft. He's not the type of player you sign while going through a rebuild (good but not great player that takes up a lot of cap room over a period you're not trying to win and isn't a long term piece).

I never minded the Korver trade. Allowed us to sign Kirk, Thibbs had benched Korver in the playoffs cause he was so limited, and Tyson was simply always a much better talent and has had a much better career IMO.

Noah wasn't here yet, he came a year later. Tyrus was, and yes minutes would have been limited for Tyson behind Wallace, but as you said you'd think more value than PJ Brown could have been had. Maybe not though.

Niko was a great signing IMO and should have been cemented as a long term piece based on his progression. They never should have signed him had they known they'd move him if it worked out as hoped lol. They basically got their tank hurt by having him, and then threw him (best player on the team easily) out by trading him for virtually nothing.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls