Image ImageImage Image

Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there" 

Post#101 » by transplant » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:22 am

Indomitable wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Yeah we are applauding his stupid they were that in spite of them trying to get Melo they failed which was the best thing that could happen to those dolts.

True still I don’t think that’s defending them. Not like anyone is saying they’re GOATs for not getting melo. Just using hindsight to be happy about how we lost out on melo. This story doesn’t expose them more or anything we didn’t already know. This is just melo answering questions about old stuff we already knew.

Melo is job hunting because teams are not interested. He brings nothing and it is well known.

He is not a good teammate
He undermines his coach
He is an inefficient shooter
He is a bad iso player
He cannot defend anyone

Why would you want him?

OK, but other than that...
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Re: Carmelo on 2014: "I was going to Chicago until I start getting whispers that people weren't going to be there" 

Post#102 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:43 am

TheStig wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
TheStig wrote:I think them bringing in Melo on a 2 or 3 year deal would have been the best for all involved. Melo would have gotten to shine here and Jimmy and Noah would covered up a lot of his D issues.

It would have but Melo wanted that cheddar. Honestly that team would have been pretty good.

I get it. But I think in 2-3 years he still could have got a max or near max deal making the total value greater. Remember he signed his deal pre new tv money.

He isn’t that much of a thinker. On the other hand Jimmy Butler would do that and bet on himself. It is also why Butler is a more impactful player, although not a better one. Melo if he had one more gear could have been in the conversation of the all time greats. That being said in the WWE errrr I mean the NBA we need all types of characters to make the entertainment, well entertaining. He is a great character.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#103 » by HomoSapien » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:30 am

Melo had a horrible second half of his career, but I still wish he had ended up on the Bulls. For whatever reason, I think we had the right structure to keep him elite longer. I don’t know if we would have actually been able to get past James, but I think he would have given us a chance. It seems laughable now, but a starting five of Noah, Pau, Melo, Butler, and Rose really had enough fire power to upset anyone if they were able to click.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#104 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:04 am

Yeah Homo it isn’t a bad starting 5 at all. Would have the egos worked? Who knows but even a depleted Rose, is countered by an emerging Butler. Are we able to get Pau in that scenario though? Even if not Taj still gives you a solid player. I also think that for a couple years Melo would have looked better with that talent around him well until Butler slaps him one day.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,610

Post#105 » by jacoby1us » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:56 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:That team with Melo would have went to the finals.

Bold. Lebron is still in the east to be reckoned with and Rose is still kneeless. It’s possible def the ECF.

Lol, if we had another scorer (Melo) other than depending on Rose we would have definitely dethroned the Playoff Lebron.

We had a pretty damn good roster even with Amnestying Boozer.

Rose
Gasol
Deng
Butler
Gibson
Noah
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#106 » by kingkirk » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:23 am

HomoSapien wrote:Melo had a horrible second half of his career, but I still wish he had ended up on the Bulls. For whatever reason, I think we had the right structure to keep him elite longer. I don’t know if we would have actually been able to get past James, but I think he would have given us a chance. It seems laughable now, but a starting five of Noah, Pau, Melo, Butler, and Rose really had enough fire power to upset anyone if they were able to click.

You don't get Pau if you get Melo, though. Not from my memory, at least. If there wasn't enough space to sign Melo, there wasn't enough to have them both. And tbh, I wouldn't want both. Melo was a PF at that point in his career, whether he wanted to admit that or not.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#107 » by keloms » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:31 am

Indomitable wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Yeah we are applauding his stupid they were that in spite of them trying to get Melo they failed which was the best thing that could happen to those dolts.

True still I don’t think that’s defending them. Not like anyone is saying they’re GOATs for not getting melo. Just using hindsight to be happy about how we lost out on melo. This story doesn’t expose them more or anything we didn’t already know. This is just melo answering questions about old stuff we already knew.

Melo is job hunting because teams are not interested. He brings nothing and it is well known.

He undermines his coach
He is a bad iso player
He cannot defend anyone

Why would you want him?

...and yet he'd still be the best player on this roster.

Not advocating getting him now, but, some pretty high horses here burying him yet ready to ride the coat tails and bet the farm on scrubs that'll be lucky to accomplish half as much as he has in the league.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,407

Post#108 » by Indomitable » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:59 pm

keloms wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:

He undermines his coach
He is a bad iso player
He cannot defend anyone

Why would you want him?

...and yet he'd still be the best player on this roster.

Not advocating getting him now, but, some pretty high horses here burying him yet ready to ride the coat tails and bet the farm on scrubs that'll be lucky to accomplish half as much as he has in the league.

No he is not and if I need to tell you that. You know very little about Basketball. He would have been 6 years ago. He has been terrible and inefficient for 5 years.
:banghead:
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#109 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:03 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

It would have but Melo wanted that cheddar. Honestly that team would have been pretty good.

I get it. But I think in 2-3 years he still could have got a max or near max deal making the total value greater. Remember he signed his deal pre new tv money.

He isn’t that much of a thinker. On the other hand Jimmy Butler would do that and bet on himself. It is also why Butler is a more impactful player, although not a better one. Melo if he had one more gear could have been in the conversation of the all time greats. That being said in the WWE errrr I mean the NBA we need all types of characters to make the entertainment, well entertaining. He is a great character.

Butler is a much better player than Melo. Melo was just a volume scorer but not a very good basketball player. Almost every team he was ever on got better when he left. Butler's teams all were much better with him than without him. How is a player who makes teams worse a better player than one who makes teams better. Only thing Melo ever did better than Jimmy is volume score. Crazy thing is that if Jimmy took as many shots as Melo he would actually score more points. The only season Jimmy took 16 shots per 36, he averaged 24 PPG. 16 shots per 36 would be the lowest of Carmelo's career except for last season where Melo averaged 15 shots per 36 and averaged just 16 PP36.

All that is just offensively.. Now, let's factor in the other half of the game. Jimmy by a country mile.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#110 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:12 pm

See my nick as I’m the Melo FA expert in 2014

Melo was always about the money. He had zero chances of taking less than the team max from the Knicks. If you want a prime example, see Melo forcing a trade to the Knicks in order to get his money while his preferred team lost on talent in the process.

This guy is and always will be a career loser in the NBA.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#111 » by TheStig » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:14 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:See my nick as I’m the Melo FA expert in 2014

Melo was always about the money. He had zero chances of taking less than the team max from the Knicks. If you want a prime example, see Melo forcing a trade to the Knicks in order to get his money while his preferred team lost on talent in the process.

This guy is and always will be a career loser in the NBA.

I couldn't agree more. I think he just liked the attention that Bron and Wade got a couple of years ago and he wanted his moment. He loved NY, they could give him the most money and he was the star. He wasn't leaving. He wasn't betting on himself.

He could have made more money taking a shorter term deal on the Knicks and becoming a FA again in 2-3 years. He would have gotten the new tv money and would have still been a max FA.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,553

Post#112 » by Ice Man » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:15 pm

Melo was the classic overrated player. High volume, bad defense. He wasn't all that great even when he was supposed to be great and outright bad when he was allegedly still useful. He was born to be a Knick.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,531

Post#113 » by DuckIII » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:30 pm

I love the way Melo’s career is ending.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#114 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:52 pm

DuckIII wrote:I love the way Melo’s career is ending.

Its like when I ran into Sprewell at a Milwaukee bar 8-9 years ago. He had to drink for free because he was bankrupt and it was sad. He was pretty nice to us and all but it was very fitting for the man that couldn't feed his children on 80 mil
TheStig
RealGM

Post#115 » by TheStig » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:32 am

HomoSapien wrote:Melo had a horrible second half of his career, but I still wish he had ended up on the Bulls. For whatever reason, I think we had the right structure to keep him elite longer. I don’t know if we would have actually been able to get past James, but I think he would have given us a chance. It seems laughable now, but a starting five of Noah, Pau, Melo, Butler, and Rose really had enough fire power to upset anyone if they were able to click.

I agree but we wouldn't have had Pau. Pau was signed with cap space which Melo would have gotten.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#116 » by kyrv » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:38 am

I think the whispers Melo heard were that he was going to get more money to stay in NY. Sometimes the most obvious reason is the best explanation. Straight cash homie.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#117 » by HomoSapien » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:20 am

Mark K wrote:

You don't get Pau if you get Melo, though. Not from my memory, at least. If there wasn't enough space to sign Melo, there wasn't enough to have them both. And tbh, I wouldn't want both. Melo was a PF at that point in his career, whether he wanted to admit that or not.

You're correct. My memory is flat wrong on this. Still I think push come to shove I would have preferred Melo to Pau, considering we'd likely have either Taj or Mirotic (or both on the roster).
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#118 » by TheStig » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:43 am

HomoSapien wrote:
Mark K wrote:

You're correct. My memory is flat wrong on this. Still I think push come to shove I would have preferred Melo to Pau, considering we'd likely have either Taj or Mirotic (or both on the roster).

I think we would have had Mirotic, didn't they promise him the MLE and he was deadset on coming over that summer.

Taj would have been up to Melo if he'd have taken the paycut to keep him. We didn't have max cap space without Taj going.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by kingkirk » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:07 am

DuckIII wrote:I love the way Melo’s career is ending.

Maybe you can explain in more detail because on the surface this comment kind of seems excessive for a player who wasn’t a bad or terrible person.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by kingkirk » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:10 am

TheStig wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Mark K wrote:

I think we would have had Mirotic, didn't they promise him the MLE and he was deadset on coming over that summer.

Taj would have been up to Melo if he'd have taken the paycut to keep him. We didn't have max cap space without Taj going.

You don’t get Mirotic, either. They paid him MLE money but you don’t get the MLE if you use cap space, meaning it’s either Melo or Pau and Mirotic or get Melo and somehow convince Mirotic to come over for the room MLE.

Return to Chicago Bulls