Image ImageImage Image

I year old video, Im sure this has been posted before, If you are under 30 its a must watch.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

I year old video, Im sure this has been posted before, If you are under 30 its a must watch. 

Post#1 » by 2018C3 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:52 am

If you are under30 its a must watch, if you are older it will be a fun recollection.
This is almost 50 minutes of video that does a great job of describing a era of growth and eventual dominance by the best player this league has ever seen in my lifetime.

If you have not seen it yet, set aside atleast a hour, because you will back backtrack and watch a few of the events more than once.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Re: I year old video, Im sure this has been posted before, If you are under 30 its a must watch. 

Post#3 » by AKfanatic » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:47 am

Watching that made me miss Johnny Red Kerr. Loved that mans excitement during the Jordan era.

MJ was such an incredible freak of nature. His ability to dominate both ends of the court was absolutely absurd.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Re: I year old video, Im sure this has been posted before, If you are under 30 its a must watch. 

Post#4 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:34 am

Damn I miss watching him. Being a teenagwr in Chicago in the 90s was pretty insane.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#5 » by dumbell78 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:11 am

Should post this video every summer, just as a reminder of what was. Best time ever was growing up in Chicago during his reign.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#6 » by ImSlower » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:16 am

Man I am 10 minutes in and waking up the dogs cheering my ass off in the dark. How great was it for all of us to grow up to this (I am 38, so I basically had Superman as a real person when I was like 6 to 16)?

I love stats and all that as much as the next realGM'er, but there just will never be another player like Michael Jordan. It's simply impossible.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#7 » by Jo Jo English » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:05 am

As long as I live and continue to watch sports nothing will ever compare to seeing Jordan and those Bulls teams. The Cubs winning in 2016 was the closest thing to it I have ever felt, and likely ever will, but nothing will top those Bulls. I remember my father telling me during that first three peat to enjoy watching Jordan as much as I could because I'd never see another athlete that was his equal. He was right.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,407

Post#8 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:12 pm

The North Carolina stuff and the Olympics vs the NBA all star stuff is great.

The one thing that these clips never do, that was pretty unique to Jordan, he never had an off night. He did but his off nights were still better than most guys on nights.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by 2018C3 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:36 am

Michael Jackson wrote:The North Carolina stuff and the Olympics vs the NBA all star stuff is great.

The one thing that these clips never do, that was pretty unique to Jordan, he never had an off night. He did but his off nights were still better than most guys on nights.

Whats crazy, and one thing the video did not touch on, is that Olympic team was not a one game expedition. They played the nba players 8 times, and the college Olympic team led by MJ swept the pro's. They one all 8 games.

Granted the NBA guys were not taking it seriously, as they all played limited minutes, and from my understanding did not hold practices, but still thats a impresive accoumplishment from a group of college guys who have not even played a single pro game yet.

Here is another moment, after a dream team scrimage, MJ walked up to Magic, and Bird and told them "There is a new Sheriff In Town"

https://www.businessinsider.com/magic-johnson-trash-talking-michael-jordan-story-2016-5
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by 2018C3 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:06 am

Here is a funny story. Back in the late 80's I had several friends who played on the highschool basketball team, I did not.

One time our group went to a park for pickup games, and my friend gave me his old Jordans to use. When teams were picked I went early, After I was picked from a guy who did not know me, "I said why did you pick me? Everyone of those guys I came with is better than me." He said I picked you because you had Jordans on, I thought you werre good.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#11 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:15 am

2018C3 wrote:If you are under30 its a must watch, if you are older it will be a fun recollection.
This is almost 50 minutes of video that does a great job of describing a era of growth and eventual dominance by the best player this league has ever seen in my lifetime.

If you have not seen it yet, set aside atleast a hour, because you will back backtrack and watch a few of the events more than once.

Under 30? Hell, even if you're 45, right now, you were like 10 years old when MJ came into the league and way too young to even know what you were seeing in 1984. It's a must watch for anybody. I mean, you can be a fan when you're a kid but most, even young teens, have no idea of what they are seeing at that age. When Michael came into the league, we knew he was just different from day one, like guys like Bob Knight were saying when he was on Team USA.

I made a post here a while back about how historical what Michael did that summer was, on Team USA, to the NBA all stars before he even played a minute in the NBA. There was a great chapter in Roland Lazenby's book "The Life", that talks about that summer and the Team USA vs. NBA Stars games. The NBA greats already knew how special the kid was. Portland realized how bad they F'd up (truth is that Houston did too but hard to fault them for taking Olajuwan at the time) before Jordan ever put on a Bulls uniform. It was the summer before his rookie season, between the draft and that season, that he had his coming out party on Team USA. Most people don't know this but the year before Michael was a rookie the Bulls were averaging just 6700 people per game. It was empty at the old Chicago Stadium for Bulls games in 80-83. I mean empty. That changed in 84. Bulls have sold out every game since then and are still living off of MJ's legacy.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by 2018C3 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:26 am

Jo Jo English wrote:As long as I live and continue to watch sports nothing will ever compare to seeing Jordan and those Bulls teams. The Cubs winning in 2016 was the closest thing to it I have ever felt, and likely ever will, but nothing will top those Bulls. I remember my father telling me during that first three peat to enjoy watching Jordan as much as I could because I'd never see another athlete that was his equal. He was right.

I have parents who have zero interest in sports, and never helped provide any interest. I had a Grade School Social Studys teacher named Mr Theis, who one day told the class that we should all watch Micheal Jordan as he is the best player in sports he has ever seen.

I graduated grade school in 86, so this prediction by Mr Theis came sometime between 84 and 86. His comment made was my start in following sports. I was not a die hard fan yet. But quickly found out that if I showed a interest in sports, my parents let me watch the games instead of doing household chores.

Both the Bulls and Bears games got me out of alot of household work. There was also preasure to keep up socialy with my peers.
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#13 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:32 am

2018C3 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:The North Carolina stuff and the Olympics vs the NBA all star stuff is great.

Whats crazy, and one thing the video did not touch on, is that Olympic team was not a one game expedition. They played the nba players 8 times, and the college Olympic team led by MJ swept the pro's. They one all 8 games.

Granted the NBA guys were not taking it seriously, as they all played limited minutes, and from my understanding did not hold practices, but still thats a impresive accoumplishment from a group of college guys who have not even played a single pro game yet.

Here is another moment, after a dream team scrimage, MJ walked up to Magic, and Bird and told them "There is a new Sheriff In Town"

https://www.businessinsider.com/magic-johnson-trash-talking-michael-jordan-story-2016-5

Those NBA guys absolutely started taking it seriously. They thought they’d come in and beat the college guys going half speed, they learned otherwise and didn’t want to be shown up. There’s some great video out there of those exhibitions. MJ and crew gave them more than they could handle.

To be fair, Jordan wasn’t alone. Ewing, Perkins, and Mullen were no slouches.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#14 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:37 am

AKfanatic wrote:
2018C3 wrote:

Those NBA guys absolutely started taking it seriously. They thought they’d come in and beat the college guys going half speed, they learned otherwise and didn’t want to be shown up. There’s some great video out there of those exhibitions. MJ and crew gave them more than they could handle.

I was never aware of these scrimmages. Who were the players on the NBA team?
Why so serious?
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by 2018C3 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:45 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
2018C3 wrote:

1984 USA Olympic Team Michael Jordan Alvin Robertson Vernon Fleming Sam Perkins Patrick Ewing Steve Alford Leon Wood Joe Kleine Jon Koncak Wayman Tisdale Chris Mullin Sam Perkins Jeff Turner (MJ was team captain, and Bobby Knight was the Coach).

NBA All-Stars Magic Johnson Isiah Thomas Walter Davis Alex English Larry Nance Michael Cooper Butch Carter Kiki Vandeweghe Kurt Rambis

I'm mising a few, as the line ups for the NBA Players were different in each game played. In my search I probably just have one of the lineups. (These game also happened before my time as a fan).
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#16 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:46 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
2018C3 wrote:

They actually played multiple NBA player combinations.

Here’s a pretty good link

https://inallairness.com/nb85-3-michael-jordans-rookie-nba-season-1984-usa-pre-olympic-exhibition-games-podcast/

I remember a few of these games being my introduction to basketball. Watching them in Japan, on VHS with my fathers Air Force coworkers during their poker nights.

I’ve went back over the years and watched again. Appreciating it much more with my older eyes.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:50 am

AKfanatic wrote:

https://inallairness.com/nb85-3-michael-jordans-rookie-nba-season-1984-usa-pre-olympic-exhibition-games-podcast/

I remember a few of these games being my introduction to basketball. Watching them in Japan, on VHS with my fathers Air Force coworkers during their poker nights.

I’ve went back over the years and watched again. Appreciating it much more with my older eyes.

Great find.

Some really good talent on the NBA teams, however, it seems like it wasn't the same players each game, but seemed to be the NBA players in town during that time.

Still, you'd think NBA players would have still had it easy against the college players but, the Olympics team did actually have a proper team they were working with, and consistency with line ups are important.
Why so serious?
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#18 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:55 am

With the way players try to team up in this generation, you gotta wonder how many championships would MJ have had he teamed up with guys like Ewing, Barkley, etc.

I’m glad he didn’t and the Bulls did their thing. I think him (and the Bulls) needing to get past teams like the Pistons adds to his legacy and took his already crazy will to win to a different level.
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#19 » by AKfanatic » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:59 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

Great find.

Some really good talent on the NBA teams, however, it seems like it wasn't the same players each game, but seemed to be the NBA players in town during that time.

Still, you'd think NBA players would have still had it easy against the college players but, the Olympics team did actually have a proper team they were working with, and consistency with line ups are important.

The cohesion built by the “amateurs” was definitely an advantage in those games. The talent level on MJ’s teams was also a lot better than I think the NBA guys and fans expected. There are some pretty good game vids on YouTube. Fun to watch when you have free time.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:06 am

AKfanatic wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

Great find.

The cohesion built by the “amateurs” was definitely an advantage in those games. The talent level on MJ’s teams was also a lot better than I think the NBA guys and fans expected. There are some pretty good game vids on YouTube. Fun to watch when you have free time.

Yeah, I will definitely be watching them tonight. As mentioned, I didn't even know such games existed, so this is great.

The funny thing is, the 84 Olympics team could actually have had better talent on the roster, if not for the cuts or players who pulled out, with the possibilities of having the following; Barkley, Bias, Stockon, Anderson, Terry Porter amd Chuck Person.
Why so serious?

Return to Chicago Bulls