Image ImageImage Image

Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, AshyLarrysDiaper, Payt10, RedBulls23, dougthonus, fleet, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN

Stratmaster
RealGM
Posts: 14,184
And1: 4,534
Joined: Oct 02, 2010
       

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#121 » by Stratmaster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
Well summed up. Looks like Bulls fans need some wake up call as well. The fact that Kerr and Pop did not brother to invite Lavine tells a lot despite major named players intentionally not participating. Lavine has talent but he needs to do a major rework on his game. Way too many flaws for a 5yr veteran.


You can call him a 5 year veteran. Or you can call him a 23 year old who has played less than 300 games in the NBA. Guess it depends on what story you are making up.


You could call him a 23 year old, but you would be wrong. He's 24, turns 25 a couple of weeks after the ASB this season. But, that doesn't matter really. He is a 5 year NBA veteran, this is his 6th NBA season upcoming. Let's just hope he has worked on his mental game and can be a high impact positive force and the closer we need him to be under pressure. The Bulls are going to live or die by how well he plays if he has a usage near 30% again and plays 34 MPG.
He hasn't played a game yet this season, has he? So we don't know yet how he is going to play as a 24 year old and a "five year" vet.

(Not to split hairs but his birthday is 23 days after the all star game)

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
johnnyvann840
RealGM
Posts: 32,169
And1: 16,698
Joined: Sep 04, 2010

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#122 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 am

Stratmaster wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
You can call him a 5 year veteran. Or you can call him a 23 year old who has played less than 300 games in the NBA. Guess it depends on what story you are making up.


You could call him a 23 year old, but you would be wrong. He's 24, turns 25 a couple of weeks after the ASB this season. But, that doesn't matter really. He is a 5 year NBA veteran, this is his 6th NBA season upcoming. Let's just hope he has worked on his mental game and can be a high impact positive force and the closer we need him to be under pressure. The Bulls are going to live or die by how well he plays if he has a usage near 30% again and plays 34 MPG.
He hasn't played a game yet this season, has he? So we don't know yet how he is going to play as a 24 year old and a "five year" vet.

(Not to split hairs but his birthday is 23 days after the all star game)



Not to split hairs but he played as a 24 year old already last season.... the point is you're acting like five years and 300 games is not a lot of NBA experience and that is just crazy. It's almost twice as many games as Embiid has played, for instance. Jimmy Butler was a "late bloomer" and he had only played around 180 games when he entered his first all star season and big break out season at 24 in 2014-15. Let's put it this way... he's played more games than anyone on the Bulls besides Otto (399) and Thad Young. He's one of the seasoned veterans on this team and would not be "young and inexperienced" on any team. People need to stop referring to Lavine like he's some 19 year old kid with little experience, he's not.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 20,749
And1: 4,133
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#123 » by Indomitable » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:19 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
You could call him a 23 year old, but you would be wrong. He's 24, turns 25 a couple of weeks after the ASB this season. But, that doesn't matter really. He is a 5 year NBA veteran, this is his 6th NBA season upcoming. Let's just hope he has worked on his mental game and can be a high impact positive force and the closer we need him to be under pressure. The Bulls are going to live or die by how well he plays if he has a usage near 30% again and plays 34 MPG.
He hasn't played a game yet this season, has he? So we don't know yet how he is going to play as a 24 year old and a "five year" vet.

(Not to split hairs but his birthday is 23 days after the all star game)



Not to split hairs but he played as a 24 year old already last season.... the point is you're acting like five years and 300 games is not a lot of NBA experience and that is just crazy. It's almost twice as many games as Embiid has played, for instance. Jimmy Butler was a "late bloomer" and he had only played around 180 games when he entered his first all star season and big break out season at 24 in 2014-15. Let's put it this way... he's played more games than anyone on the Bulls besides Otto (399) and Thad Young. He's one of the seasoned veterans on this team and would not be "young and inexperienced" on any team. People need to stop referring to Lavine like he's some 19 year old kid with little experience, he's not.

We will see but I never say what others can do.
Chicago Strong and rehab sucks
Stratmaster
RealGM
Posts: 14,184
And1: 4,534
Joined: Oct 02, 2010
       

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#124 » by Stratmaster » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
You could call him a 23 year old, but you would be wrong. He's 24, turns 25 a couple of weeks after the ASB this season. But, that doesn't matter really. He is a 5 year NBA veteran, this is his 6th NBA season upcoming. Let's just hope he has worked on his mental game and can be a high impact positive force and the closer we need him to be under pressure. The Bulls are going to live or die by how well he plays if he has a usage near 30% again and plays 34 MPG.
He hasn't played a game yet this season, has he? So we don't know yet how he is going to play as a 24 year old and a "five year" vet.

(Not to split hairs but his birthday is 23 days after the all star game)



Not to split hairs but he played as a 24 year old already last season.... the point is you're acting like five years and 300 games is not a lot of NBA experience and that is just crazy. It's almost twice as many games as Embiid has played, for instance. Jimmy Butler was a "late bloomer" and he had only played around 180 games when he entered his first all star season and big break out season at 24 in 2014-15. Let's put it this way... he's played more games than anyone on the Bulls besides Otto (399) and Thad Young. He's one of the seasoned veterans on this team and would not be "young and inexperienced" on any team. People need to stop referring to Lavine like he's some 19 year old kid with little experience, he's not.
Who referred to Lavine like he was a 19 year old kid wth little experience?

Yes. He played exactly 3 games and 99 minutes as a 24 year old with 4 seasons in the league. That is a simple fact. I didn't say anything like what you are presenting as a strawman argument.

If i remember, he played pretty well those games

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
cjbulls
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,803
And1: 619
Joined: Jun 26, 2018

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#125 » by cjbulls » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Looks more like leaving LaVine off the roster should be a wake up call for Team USA

https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27450965/australia-stuns-team-usa-snaps-78-game-streak
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 20,394
And1: 8,669
Joined: Apr 19, 2011

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#126 » by Ice Man » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 pm

The U.S. started Harrison Barnes, Marcus Smart, Donovan Mitchell, Kris Middleton, Myles Turner. That's what, a .500 NBA team? Well, the Olympic squad will be better.
User avatar
transplant
RealGM
Posts: 11,041
And1: 2,626
Joined: Aug 16, 2001
Location: state of perpetual confusion
       

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#127 » by transplant » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Team USA is a tough sell in non-olympic years. We might like to believe that players would be motivated by patriotism, but that's unrealistic in today's world. Frankly, I'm not sure why any NBA star-level player would want to risk injury playing on this team. Their NBA teams certainly don't encourage participation (for good reason).
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Dez
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,808
And1: 4,134
Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#128 » by Dez » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 am

transplant wrote:Team USA is a tough sell in non-olympic years. We might like to believe that players would be motivated by patriotism, but that's unrealistic in today's world. Frankly, I'm not sure why any NBA star-level player would want to risk injury playing on this team. Their NBA teams certainly don't encourage participation (for good reason).


It's only a tough sell to American players, the majority of players outside of the US jump at the chance to play for their country.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#129 » by GimmeDat » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:08 am

Ice Man wrote:The U.S. started Harrison Barnes, Marcus Smart, Donovan Mitchell, Kris Middleton, Myles Turner. That's what, a .500 NBA team? Well, the Olympic squad will be better.


That's just Pop playing with lineups though - they had Kemba, Tatum, Brown, White, Harris off the bench.

I would guess a starting 5 of (say) Kemba, Mitchell, Middleton, Tatum, Turner would be a pretty strong NBA team, and then obviously their depth craps on whatever any other FIBA team can put out.

It's not the US's best team, but we played 1 NBA starter (Ingles), 2 rotation bench guys (Mills and Baynes), 1 NBA scrub level guy (Dellevadova), 1 guy from Europe (Landale) and a bunch of NBL players (Bogut, Goulding, Kay, Creek, Gliddon, Sobey).

On talent alone US should be whooping teams like that.
AirLaVine8
General Manager
Posts: 8,274
And1: 46
Joined: Apr 09, 2002
 

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#130 » by AirLaVine8 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:19 am

Still in shock the US lost. But was amazing to witness history live in person. Even though I walked out bummed my team lost
Proven_Winner
RealGM
Posts: 15,544
And1: 3,899
Joined: Jun 02, 2013

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#131 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:16 am

Dez wrote:
transplant wrote:Team USA is a tough sell in non-olympic years. We might like to believe that players would be motivated by patriotism, but that's unrealistic in today's world. Frankly, I'm not sure why any NBA star-level player would want to risk injury playing on this team. Their NBA teams certainly don't encourage participation (for good reason).


It's only a tough sell to American players, the majority of players outside of the US jump at the chance to play for their country.


I don’t think guys just run from it because they aren’t patriotic though. It’s just a lot of basketball to be playing. You’re still held to playing your 82 games if healthy and doing FIBA runs you down even more and before you know it the season is back.

Plus America’s talent is miles above any other team so that’s why we’re seeing teams like this be put out to give people like Donovan a chance to experience it. When olympics come though you can expect all of the stars to come out.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
Posts: 32,169
And1: 16,698
Joined: Sep 04, 2010

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#132 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 am

Who cares? Wasn't this just what amounts to a scrimmage? A tune up "exhibition" game that doesn't count for anything, doesn't matter. Looks like Team USA didn't even start their starters and just threw a B-Team out there for this. Perhaps just a case of "not wanting to show your hand" in a game that doesn't even matter for the World Cup.

It's not even the Olympics, anyway, which is why so many guys were just not interested in playing on this team, like dice was alluding to earlier in the thread. Personally, I honestly couldn't care less about that game. In fact, I don't even care about the World Cup, TBH.

I'm really happy for the Aussies though. Seems like it meant a lot to them. Also, I just really like all the NBA guys on the Australian team.. good group.... Bogut, Baynes, Ingles and Patty Mills. This means way more to those guys than it ever could for our players.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 20,749
And1: 4,133
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#133 » by Indomitable » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:23 am

Dez wrote:
transplant wrote:Team USA is a tough sell in non-olympic years. We might like to believe that players would be motivated by patriotism, but that's unrealistic in today's world. Frankly, I'm not sure why any NBA star-level player would want to risk injury playing on this team. Their NBA teams certainly don't encourage participation (for good reason).


It's only a tough sell to American players, the majority of players outside of the US jump at the chance to play for their country.

I did see any stars playing for most teams. I mean Wiggins turned his nose up at the chance.Simmons and Kyrie both never played.

It is just all these overrated Celtics on this team. Lavine would have help. It should have been Smart or Brown.
Chicago Strong and rehab sucks
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 20,749
And1: 4,133
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#134 » by Indomitable » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:Who cares? Wasn't this just what amounts to a scrimmage? A tune up "exhibition" game that doesn't count for anything, doesn't matter. Looks like Team USA didn't even start their starters and just threw a B-Team out there for this. Perhaps just a case of "not wanting to show your hand" in a game that doesn't even matter for the World Cup.

It's not even the Olympics, anyway, which is why so many guys were just not interested in playing on this team, like dice was alluding to earlier in the thread. Personally, I honestly couldn't care less about that game. In fact, I don't even care about the World Cup, TBH.

I'm really happy for the Aussies though. Seems like it meant a lot to them. Also, I just really like all the NBA guys on the Australian team.. good group.... Bogut, Baynes, Ingles and Patty Mills. This means way more to those guys than it ever could for our players.

Are you friggin serious? It is an embarrassment. One team played soft and und underestimated their opponent. Jaylen Brown still looke liked overrated trash. His defense is a thing of rumor. He takes the easy way out.
Chicago Strong and rehab sucks
Benedict Miller
General Manager
Posts: 9,463
And1: 2,005
Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Location: FLY St.
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#135 » by Benedict Miller » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 am

Lavine's defense needs to improve big time
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 20,749
And1: 4,133
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#136 » by Indomitable » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 am

Benedict Miller wrote:Lavine's defense needs to improve big time

That is true of a lot of players. His biggest improvement needs to be on his decision making in close games. He is better on defense then Kemba. He will not become a great defender. His biggest obstacle is on defense is awareness.
Chicago Strong and rehab sucks
Benedict Miller
General Manager
Posts: 9,463
And1: 2,005
Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Location: FLY St.
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#137 » by Benedict Miller » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:11 am

Indomitable wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Lavine's defense needs to improve big time

That is true of a lot of players. His biggest improvement needs to be on his decision making in close games. He is better on defense then Kemba. He will not become a great defender. His biggest obstacle is on defense is awareness.


I disagree, I believe Walker is a better defender. If Lavine improved his defense, he'd be an all star. He's already approaching elite level as a scorer, but he'll be a much better basketball player if he could stay in front of his man.
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 20,749
And1: 4,133
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#138 » by Indomitable » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:19 am

Benedict Miller wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Lavine's defense needs to improve big time

That is true of a lot of players. His biggest improvement needs to be on his decision making in close games. He is better on defense then Kemba. He will not become a great defender. His biggest obstacle is on defense is awareness.


I disagree, I believe Walker is a better defender. If Lavine improved his defense, he'd be an all star. He's already approaching elite level as a scorer, but he'll be a much better basketball player if he could stay in front of his man.

I am curious what is Kemba better at on defense. He struggles with screens. Kemba is bad at close outs. He is a crap help defender. Kemba value is in his decision making. His defense is bad.
Chicago Strong and rehab sucks
Showtime23
Rookie
Posts: 1,217
And1: 459
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#139 » by Showtime23 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 am

Indomitable wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:
Indomitable wrote:That is true of a lot of players. His biggest improvement needs to be on his decision making in close games. He is better on defense then Kemba. He will not become a great defender. His biggest obstacle is on defense is awareness.


I disagree, I believe Walker is a better defender. If Lavine improved his defense, he'd be an all star. He's already approaching elite level as a scorer, but he'll be a much better basketball player if he could stay in front of his man.

I am curious what is Kemba better at on defense. He struggles with screens. Kemba is bad at close outs. He is a crap help defender. Kemba value is in his decision making. His defense is bad.


Kemba to me is more below average on D (~60%).
Lavine's easily one of the worst defenders except man to man but in the modern era, 1 on 1 isnt as important.
On offense, the two arent comparable. Kemba is not only a great scorer, but an A+ facilitator, closer.
Basically, Lavine has to make up for his horrible D compared to Walker, Harden but we all know thats not possible.
If he score 40/5/5 on 50/40/90, maybe Lavine fans can chant for MVP.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
Posts: 32,169
And1: 16,698
Joined: Sep 04, 2010

Re: Left Off of Depleted Team USA: A Wakeup Call for LaVine? 

Post#140 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 pm

Indomitable wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Who cares? Wasn't this just what amounts to a scrimmage? A tune up "exhibition" game that doesn't count for anything, doesn't matter. Looks like Team USA didn't even start their starters and just threw a B-Team out there for this. Perhaps just a case of "not wanting to show your hand" in a game that doesn't even matter for the World Cup.

It's not even the Olympics, anyway, which is why so many guys were just not interested in playing on this team, like dice was alluding to earlier in the thread. Personally, I honestly couldn't care less about that game. In fact, I don't even care about the World Cup, TBH.

I'm really happy for the Aussies though. Seems like it meant a lot to them. Also, I just really like all the NBA guys on the Australian team.. good group.... Bogut, Baynes, Ingles and Patty Mills. This means way more to those guys than it ever could for our players.

Are you friggin serious? It is an embarrassment. One team played soft and und underestimated their opponent. Jaylen Brown still looke liked overrated trash. His defense is a thing of rumor. He takes the easy way out.


Dead serious. I couldn't care less about a scrimmage exhibition game that means nothing. Counts for nothing. Even the USA players said that Australia just "wanted it more". In fact, I don't even care about the World Cup. Period. Just not a fan. It's meaningless once you get to the over 18 games. I do enjoy watching the younger players in these types of competition.

Yeah, the USA played soft and looked like they were just trying to not get hurt. I only saw the 2nd half. Fell asleep. The Lakers better hope Kuzma's injury isn't anything serious and lingering. I'm just glad the Bulls only have one player there and I hope he plays very little.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to Chicago Bulls