Image ImageImage Image

Lauri HIghlights - Offense and Defense

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Lauri HIghlights - Offense and Defense 

Post#1 » by TeamMan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:09 am

I watched almost all of the Bulls games last year, but when I watched these highlights, it made me realize that I've reached the point where I take what he does for granted.

IMHO he is the best 7 footer that I've ever seen in the a Bulls uniform, and arguably (for a 2nd year player) the best that I've ever seen in the NBA.

Now, there is no question in my mind that, one day, he's going to be a NBA champion.

I just hope that it's with the Bulls.

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Re: Lauri HIghlights - Offense and Defense 

Post#2 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 am

Nice highlight reel. I am not sure about the best 7ft player in the league even as a second year player... NBA champ Tim Duncan comes to mind without thinking hard about, not sure how KG’s second year was but I recall it being good etc.... on the Bulks though I can accept that argument. I guess the parameters need to be set a bit because I won’t call him better than Pau as of yet but I get your meaning. I hope his health holds up and we can see him explode this season. Last year was a freak injury, not worried about it other than developmental time being lost.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#3 » by PaKii94 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 am

I'm ready to see year 3 Lauri. I have high expectations for him but I get the sneaky feeling he's going to pleasantly exceed them
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#4 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 am

Somehow Lauri overexerted himself after a stretch were he seemed like he was dogging it.
Imo that is part of the reason there's been a slight turn in morale.
Ppl seem excited about Zach. The projection for him is near all-star player.
Lauri seems like a wildcard, it feels like no one knows what to expect.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by TeamMan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:33 am

Michael Jackson wrote:Nice highlight reel. I am not sure about the best 7ft player in the league even as a second year player... NBA champ Tim Duncan comes to mind without thinking hard about, not sure how KG’s second year was but I recall it being good etc.... on the Bulks though I can accept that argument. I guess the parameters need to be set a bit because I won’t call him better than Pau as of yet but I get your meaning. I hope his health holds up and we can see him explode this season. Last year was a freak injury, not worried about it other than developmental time being lost.

The great 7-footers from the past were one-dimensional and OP with a limited skill set.

Lauri has a wide, wide skill set, but until the coming season has not had the team that could take advantage of all of the things that he can do.

It was clear to me at the end of last season that Gar/Pax want to build the team around him, but they can't announce that to the public because it would cause problems in the locker room.

Now that they have revamped the roster we should see Lauri have a breakout season.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#6 » by sco » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm

TeamMan wrote:I watched almost all of the Bulls games last year, but when I watched these highlights, it made me realize that I've reached the point where I take what he does for granted.

IMHO he is the best 7 footer that I've ever seen in the a Bulls uniform, and arguably (for a 2nd year player) the best that I've ever seen in the NBA.

Now, there is no question in my mind that, one day, he's going to be a NBA champion.

To be fair, what I saw a lot of was Lauri scoring on bad players on bad teams in this. That said, his ball handling is under appreciated...especially leading a break. What I also note is that Lauri has a nice lay-up touch after contact as opposed to always looking to dunk.

What excites me most, and we saw a little in this clip, is the impact of Lauri and Otto (and now Sato). Those guys are going to be huge for us.
:clap:
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#7 » by drosereturn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm

sco wrote:
TeamMan wrote:I watched almost all of the Bulls games last year, but when I watched these highlights, it made me realize that I've reached the point where I take what he does for granted.

To be fair, what I saw a lot of was Lauri scoring on bad players on bad teams in this. That said, his ball handling is under appreciated...especially leading a break. What I also note is that Lauri has a nice lay-up touch after contact as opposed to always looking to dunk.

What excites me most, and we saw a little in this clip, is the impact of Lauri and Otto (and now Sato). Those guys are going to be huge for us.

He played point in earlier yrs so not that surprising. Want to actually let him develop into point forward but thats the most ideal situation which probably wont happen.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#8 » by ZOMG » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Watching that highlight reel, you'd think Lauri had a great season. He really didn't. Overall, he had a pretty good year but it also felt like he was treading water a lot. We all know the circumstances weren't ideal for him for several reasons, but then again... they seldom are in the NBA.

Still... with young players, you shouldn't get too high with the highlights or too low with the lowlights. The average performance is what really matters. The sign of a true professional is stable production.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by TeamMan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

ZOMG wrote:Watching that highlight reel, you'd think Lauri had a great season. He really didn't. Overall, he had a pretty good year but it also felt like he was treading water a lot. We all know the circumstances weren't ideal for him for several reasons, but then again... they seldom are in the NBA.

Still... with young players, you shouldn't get too high with the highlights or too low with the lowlights. The average performance is what really matters. The sign of a true professional is stable production.

He started out the season injured.

It was some kind of freak thing that I don't expect to happen again.

And, of course, the Bulls were tanking.

What I saw is that including other things, Lauri can play defense.

Plus he has an under appreciated vertical. He can trow down some hammer dunks.
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#10 » by IamSam » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:39 pm

TeamMan wrote:
ZOMG wrote:Watching that highlight reel, you'd think Lauri had a great season. He really didn't. Overall, he had a pretty good year but it also felt like he was treading water a lot. We all know the circumstances weren't ideal for him for several reasons, but then again... they seldom are in the NBA.

He started out the season injured.

It was some kind of freak thing that I don't expect to happen again.

And, of course, the Bulls were tanking.

What I saw is that including other things, Lauri can play defense.

Plus he has an under appreciated vertical. He can trow down some hammer dunks.

I have to keep the bolded in mind; I found myself glancing at the score for each of the plays in this highlight video, and let's just say that.... oh yeah, we WERE tanking. :)
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#11 » by erlim » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 pm

I wish Lauri Markkanen played for the Lakers so he’d have some respect in the league.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#12 » by sco » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 pm

I forgot that I noticed his headfake at the 3pt line, where Niko would do pump-fakes that I hated.
:clap:
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#13 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Just need him to be healthy the whole year. He was on pace for the first 20/10 season since Elton Brand if he didn't get hurt.
I want Lauri to be at least 170 3s made per year. We should be a team that takes and hits a lot of 3s this year. I expect he and Otto to lead the way in that area.
The Cult of Personality
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#14 » by transplant » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm

For a 6-9 player, he has excellent hands, feet, agility and shooting touch...except he's a legit 7-footer. I'm a big fan.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#15 » by CBS7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Not seeing any reason why Lauri can't be a 25-27/10-11 type guy. Except his health, maybe.
Weather or not he'll be good enough to be #1 on a championship teams depends on other factors, for example if he could become a better defender, improve his playmaking, etc. But as a scorer I think he could eventually be good enough.

Looking for him to have a 23/10 type season this upcoming year.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#16 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

CBS7 wrote:Not seeing any reason why Lauri can't be a 25-27/10-11 type guy. Except his health, maybe.
Weather or not he'll be good enough to be #1 on a championship teams depends on other factors, for example if he could become a better defender, improve his playmaking, etc. But as a scorer I think he could eventually be good enough.

Those other factors are mostly the guard play we get. Unfortunately, Lauri is not a primary ball handler and relies on mostly our guards to get him the ball in his spots. One of the disturbing things in that video is that the Bulls highest usage player was hardly involved in an over 10 minute highlight video of him. He is mostly being set up by Arci and even guys like Shaq and Dunn and Selden (who he only played 390 minutes with)... and Otto shows up as much as our SG setting up Lauri despite only playing 380 minutes with him. Whereas Zach played more with Lauri than any other Bull at over 1120 minutes... yet, you don't see him involved in hardly any of Lauri's highlights. Just strange. Now, this post is going to cause a huge backlash at me, but I'm just making a point. Zach and Lauri have not been a good combination for the last two seasons and it's a little bit of a concern of mine.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#17 » by transplant » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Shouldn’t be any backlash. You made a valid observation and didn’t assign blame.

In the video, Markkanen was very aggressive working to get himself open. When I get a chance, I’m going to look at a LaVine 2018-19 highlight video and watch what Markkanen is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,103

Post#18 » by cool007 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:07 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Just need him to be healthy the whole year. He was on pace for the first 20/10 season since Elton Brand if he didn't get hurt.
I want Lauri to be at least 170 3s made per year. We should be a team that takes and hits a lot of 3s this year. I expect he and Otto to lead the way in that area.

Great point.

Usually for a big man to blossom in the NBA, they really need a playmaking/unselfish Point Guard who can be a threat from 3pt line to make it easier for the big man. Look at most of the great big man in the NBA, they all have/had a really good PG to play with which made their life easier.

Hopefully Coby white and Sato can help in that department this year.
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#19 » by IamSam » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
CBS7 wrote:Not seeing any reason why Lauri can't be a 25-27/10-11 type guy. Except his health, maybe.

Those other factors are mostly the guard play we get. Unfortunately, Lauri is not a primary ball handler and relies on mostly our guards to get him the ball in his spots. One of the disturbing things in that video is that the Bulls highest usage player was hardly involved in an over 10 minute highlight video of him. He is mostly being set up by Arci and even guys like Shaq and Dunn and Selden (who he only played 390 minutes with)... and Otto shows up as much as our SG setting up Lauri despite only playing 380 minutes with him. Whereas Zach played more with Lauri than any other Bull at over 1120 minutes... yet, you don't see him involved in hardly any of Lauri's highlights. Just strange. Now, this post is going to cause a huge backlash at me, but I'm just making a point. Zach and Lauri have not been a good combination for the last two seasons and it's a little bit of a concern of mine.

The bolded is one of the things I think about when I begin the see the "Off-season workout" types of threads; I find myself wondering why teammates working out together to develop chemistry seems like such a "way out in left field" kind of idea for some players.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#20 » by Jiipee84 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 pm

erlim wrote:I wish Lauri Markkanen played for the Lakers so he’d have some respect in the league.

It takes some time for Lauri to get that respect what he deserves so he doesn't need to go Lakers.
I'm sure Lauri will get a lot respect when he becomes a star and Bulls start to win.
Sometimes it just happens that the slipping of things takes its time

Return to Chicago Bulls