Image ImageImage Image

What is Coby White's peak...?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

What is Coby White's peak...?

MVP (at least 1 MVP)
4%
Elite (Multiple All-NBA)
4%
All-Star (Multiple All-Star games)
27%
Very Good (1 All-Star game, solid playoff starter)
26%
Good (Solid regular season starter & playoff rotation player)
31%
Average (solid rotation player)
6%
Below Average (end of bench player)
1%
Washout (short career of no significance, minimum contracts for multiple teams)
1%

Total votes: 81

Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Re: What is Coby White's peak...? 

Post#21 » by Senor Chang » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm

I see him developing along the lines of a Jamal Murray. I would be content with that.
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#22 » by MGB8 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:25 pm

I stand by my prospect comparison to Jrue Holiday. I think Coby has the work-ethic to ensure non-bust status, but voted for "very good player" along the lines of Jrue, as opposed to mutli-time all-star. The latter is possible - but I think it's fairly unlikely.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,781

Post#23 » by beeshma » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Senor Chang wrote:I see him developing along the lines of a Jamal Murray. I would be content with that.

This would be an incredible outcome. :pray:

Jamal Murray is someone you have to game plan for in the playoffs. His playoff stats this year were excellent, tremendous scoring, high volume and successful 3P shooter, very active, high assist numbers.
beeshma
Starter

Post#24 » by beeshma » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:39 pm

coldfish wrote:Why Coby will bust:
- High, loose handle at times
- Poor decision making both in terms of shot selection and passing
- Short arms and not particularly great vertical
- Didn't shoot well as a F

Why Coby will be a star:
- Pushes the ball in transition and is very fast with the ball
- Willing and aggressive defender
- Hard worker
- Good shot and good shot results in good circumstances

Basically, the player he is is not good enough. The player he might become would be.

The whole "short arms" thing is so ingrained in my thinking, and is definitely a buzzkill. I can only appeal to reason and point out that there are plenty of long-armed people who never amount to anything.

The "high, loose handle" critique is interesting. Ball handling is something that can improve with practice, right? Coby was not the PG in high school and so he's only got 1 year under his belt at UNC as the primary ball handler. I hope he can improve this. Hopefully he has enough pride that after the ball is ripped from him a few times he'll figure out how to respond.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#25 » by ImSlower » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 pm

I think he'll be alright, but not that special. So many posters here had strong opinions on several guys from this draft, and a couple of you guys will have nailed a pick in hindsight. So in like 2024, I feel like White will be Just Fine and hopefully not heading into an overpay, while someone like Brandon Clarke or something will be looking like an HOFer.

I'll be very happy if 2 of Lauri, Wendell or Coby end up being very strong, eventual All Star starters.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#26 » by Ferulci » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 am

Coby White peak is Lou Williams that can defend at OK/relatively good level. For me, that is a multiplate allstar. Will he reach that peak ? And if so, will it be with Bulls ? That's another question.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#27 » by bledredwine » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm

He’s a player that you can’t predict, simply because he takes streaky shots. If he becomes efficient? Ho ho ho

Anyway, I will be quite pleased with “very good” and highly doubt multiple all-star.
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Post#28 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 am

Perennial 6th man of the year like Lou Will
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#29 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:50 am

I have no idea.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 pm

I would say 6’7”. I think after that the peak of his fro would fall over damn gravity. Now if he is allowed to use hair glue or some other stiffener his peak is at least another 12” beyond that.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#31 » by transplant » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm having a little problem with the question. Most folks seemed to answer with what they realistically, or maybe mildly optimistically think he'll be. But are we talking about his true ceiling? I mean he's an acknowledged project who was a high school scoring machine and was asked to do his best impersonation of a PG for the Tar Heels (and he did pretty damn well).

Honestly, I had hoped that the Bulls wouldn't end up having to take White, but if the question is what he might be if he maxes out, he's a 20+ point scorer who can also give you 5+ assists and 5+ rebounds per game. Alas, what I expect from him is that he'll be a good bench scorer who will have pretty nice per-36 numbers, but won't consistently sniff at 36 minutes per game.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
beeshma
Starter

Post#32 » by beeshma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 pm

transplant wrote:Most folks seemed to answer with what they realistically, or maybe mildly optimistically think he'll be. But are we talking about his true ceiling?

I intended the question to be realistic assessment, after he retires and looking back on his career, of what he has achieved. But I like your formulation of mildly optimistic even better!

This draft class was described as a 2 player draft, and so most of these players are coming in with low expectations anyway. For Coby to achieve anything he would have to really outperform expectations. But we do have a bit of data already. His speed is real. And he has the personality of a team leader or glue guy.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#33 » by chefo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Depends on how well he develops.

He was easily the fastest guy on the court in summer league. He's bigger than I thought and looks strong as a 19-year old. That's all I saw in summer league.

He looked like a guy who should wreck summer league, but he didn't. Obviously his shot was way off, but his decision-making process was not that good either.

Sooo... if he can be a 38-40% shooter from 3 on some decent volume, kid will be a starter at the least, with his jets. If he can be a decent decision-maker on top--> all star.

If he can't be either, 6th man that will eventually bust.

So yeah, for me no way to tell. But I'm hopeful that he can improve dramatically because ultimately very few guys come in as a finished product. If he can get better, he'll be quite valuable. If he can't or regresses, he'll be another scrub that the Bulls will try to offload in year 4.
beeshma
Starter

Post#34 » by beeshma » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:I would say 6’7”. I think after that the peak of his fro would fall over damn gravity. Now if he is allowed to use hair glue or some other stiffener his peak is at least another 12” beyond that.

:lol:
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#35 » by FecesOfDeath » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:22 pm

I picked MVP. That's essentially the peak of any player in the NBA. If Steph Curry could do it, anybody in the league could do it.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#36 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 pm

I voted for "Good." And would be happy with that outcome. I don't think he has the tools to be an All Star unless his shooting goes nuclear. In fact, but for the fact that he's a relentless worker and seemingly has an amazing attitude, I'd have put him in the "Average" range. I have a hunch that he'll out punt his talent, though.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,508

Post#37 » by DuckIII » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:38 am

FecesOfDeath wrote:I picked MVP. That's essentially the peak of any player in the NBA. If Steph Curry could do it, anybody in the league could do it.

Except that almost no one ever can do what Curry could do. Make no mistake, you can’t “practice your way” to become Steph Curry. He has outrageous physical talent to be what he is, fine tuned by a commitment to developing it. It’s just that the talent isn’t of the raw athleticism variety.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#38 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 am

I think he will prove to very capable scoring guard. Not sure how he got his buckets in high school but I’m gonna assume being my athletic than the competition.

The kid is fast learner and many current and former stars appear to appreciate how much he willing to work.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#39 » by dice » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:30 am

this would suggest a 23% chance of white becoming an all-star:

https://threesandlayups.com/2019/05/15/how-likely-is-each-draft-pick-to-someday-make-an-all-star-team/

-garpax being above average drafters probably cancels out the perceived weakness of the 2019 draft
-data is from '95-'12. given that the draft is much more of a crapshoot today than it was in '95, that probably significantly reduces the 23% number. i'd go with around 16% chance that white becomes an all-star
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#40 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:39 am

Give the Bulls 6MOY production and I'll be very happy.

Return to Chicago Bulls