Image ImageImage Image

OT: Spider-Man out of Marvel Cinematic Universe upd: Hes back for now p5

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

OT: Spider-Man out of Marvel Cinematic Universe upd: Hes back for now p5 

Post#1 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Since there is nothing new Bulls related to talk about, how bout this foolishness that happened yesterday? Spidey out of the MCU?

I want to know from media heads out there, who is really at fault here for the casuals? I know what Sony owns Spiderman so is this more of Disney being an ass-hat because Sony wont bend the knee or is this Sony's fault?

From what I understand, Disney wants a 50/50 share and Sony is saying no freaking way. If thats the case, I totally understand from Sony's point of view. But in them doing so, will put a serious black eye in their company because most of the consumers will just assume their next movie will suck. And it may not, but impressions are like half the battle.

Anyone can shed more light on this situation?
The Cult of Personality
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: OT: Spider-Man out of Marvel Cinematic Universe 

Post#2 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Haven't seen anything official yet, but it seems like Sony is being greedy not wanting to give up more revenue split.

Without Disney, pretty much all of their comic book movies have bombed. If they don't come to terms, they will screw the character up again.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,206

Post#3 » by coldfish » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Talk about lose-lose. There is virtually no scenario where both Sony and Disney don't lose a lot here. Losing billions to fight over millions.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets fixed. People higher up than the negotiators will get involved and something will happen.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#4 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 pm

coldfish wrote:Talk about lose-lose. There is virtually no scenario where both Sony and Disney don't lose a lot here. Losing billions to fight over millions.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets fixed. People higher up than the negotiators will get involved and something will happen.

I hope so. As a huge comic book fan, I was so excited when Disney took over the characters owned by fox, but losing Spidey would be a huge bummer for me.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#5 » by Pax for Prez » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I hope they come to an agreement. Everyone loses otherwise.

Link:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#6 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm

I dont know anything, but I want Toby Mcguire back
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#7 » by SlimD235 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:I dont know anything, but I want Toby Mcguire back

Ew gross.

But you actually might that get that since there are talks of an Into the Spiderverse liveaction movie with Tobey McGuire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#8 » by NZB2323 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm out on Spiderman. They've had 3 different actors play Spiderman in 7 different movies, and that's not even counting the avengers movies or into the spiderverse. I didn't see the last spiderman movie, but I've never thought any of the spiderman movies were great. I'm more excited to see Thor with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonderwoman 1984, Deadpool 3, and exploring new characters. Wonderwoman and Black Panther were both great. Even a reboot of Blade or V for Vendetta would be more exciting for me. I don't need to see a 12th Spiderman movie.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Haven't seen anything official yet, but it seems like Sony is being greedy not wanting to give up more revenue split.

Without Disney, pretty much all of their comic book movies have bombed. If they don't come to terms, they will screw the character up again.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=spiderman.htm

Sony's first spiderman series is still the #1, #2, and #3 box office draws when adjusted for inflation over the two marvel ones. Homecoming barely nudged out the sony reboot in inflation adjusted numbers and the only real outlier on earnings is "the amazing spiderman #2).

This isn't to say Sony won't screw things up, but it's not like their spiderman films have all bombed relative to the Marvel ones. First impression of the various spider man movies at the time I saw them and far from home was probably one of the worst in terms of everything except liking Tom Holland as Spiderman.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by coldfish » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:03 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I'm out on Spiderman. They've had 3 different actors play Spiderman in 7 different movies, and that's not even counting the avengers movies or into the spiderverse. I didn't see the last spiderman movie, but I've never thought any of the spiderman movies were great. I'm more excited to see Thor with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonderwoman 1984, Deadpool 3, and exploring new characters. Wonderwoman and Black Panther were both great. Even a reboot of Blade or V for Vendetta would be more exciting for me. I don't need to see a 12th Spiderman movie.

I think the big issue here is that Marvel was going to build itself around Spiderman as the replacement for Iron Man. This kind of nukes the whole character arc they have been going for with Tom Holland. It puts a serious dent in the next generation of MCU movies.

I strongly suspect that Disney will go back to Sony on their hands and knees.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#11 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

I get the sense that they will eventually come to terms, and this is just negotiation tactics gone public, however, I'm about done with Disney bullying everyone and attempting to flood the market. Good for Sony for standing up to Disney and not bending over backwards.

This is bigger than Spiderman, that character will live for decades because of the character itself, I'm more concerned that Disney is so dominate right now, that they feel they can steamroll over the entire industry, and quite frankly that's not a good thing for consumers.
Why so serious?
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#12 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I get the sense that they will eventually come to terms, and this is just negotiation tactic, however, I'm about done with Disney bullying everyone and attempting to flood the market. Good for Sony for standing up to Disney and not bending over backwards.

This is bigger than Spiderman, that character will live for decades because of the character itself, I'm more concerned that Disney is so dominate right now, that they feel they can steamroll over the entire industry, and quite frankly that's not a good thing for consumers.

I agree. Disney at this point basically owns the media industry. And its never a good thing with any corporation has that much power.

I also think at some point they will sit down and sort it out. There is just no reason for Disney to take a 50/50 steak in this. 5% is probably too small. But 50% is just being greedy.
The Cult of Personality
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by coldfish » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:48 pm

These are kind of typical negotiation tactics. When you go first, you ask for as much as you can. OTOH, if the other side is being unreasonable, don't counter offer. You just walk away.

I highly doubt they meet in the middle. That was probably Disney's real hope. Just ask for ludicrous and settle for half of ludicrous.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#14 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:48 pm

SlimD235 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:I dont know anything, but I want Toby Mcguire back

Ew gross.

But you actually might that get that since there are talks of an Into the Spiderverse liveaction movie with Tobey McGuire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland

Let's see, Doctor Strange word drop "multiverse". Doctor Strange sequel has the word multiverse in the title. Far From Home even hinted at the multiverse being real. Heck, even J.K. Simmons reprise his role as JJJ in Far From Home. So yeah, i think the multiverse is going to be a "thing" in not just Spider-Man but the MCU in general. Not to mention Holland has even said he would love to do a spider-man film with Tobey and Andrew.

--------------

I'm siding with Sony. Disney is a bully, as others have said, so it's good on Sony for telling the bully no.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#15 » by NZB2323 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:I get the sense that they will eventually come to terms, and this is just negotiation tactic, however, I'm about done with Disney bullying everyone and attempting to flood the market. Good for Sony for standing up to Disney and not bending over backwards.

I agree. Disney at this point basically owns the media industry. And its never a good thing with any corporation has that much power.

I also think at some point they will sit down and sort it out. There is just no reason for Disney to take a 50/50 steak in this. 5% is probably too small. But 50% is just being greedy.

Disney wants to dominate the streaming service against Netflix, HBO GO, and Hulu. When they launch they'll have all the Star Wars movies, all the Disney princess movies(both live action and animated), Disney TV shows, the MCU, plus movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Remember the Titans. Oh, and Disney owns ESPN, so they can include that in their streaming service.

I agree it's bad for one company to dominate, but Disney streaming means more competition for Netflix and Hulu. I think Disney will want Spiderman movies to be streamed on Disney streaming, and for Spiderman movies to be unavailable on Netflix or Hulu.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#16 » by Lexluthor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Disney bought Hulu
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#17 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Disney is getting too cocky. Good thing is I dislike every content, adaptation they create. So ill never need anything Disney related.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#18 » by NZB2323 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Disney is getting too cocky. Good thing is I dislike every content, adaptation they create. So ill never need anything Disney related.

Disney owns ESPN and ABC. There may come a time in the future where you need to subscribe to Disney to watch NBA playoff games.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#19 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:Disney is getting too cocky. Good thing is I dislike every content, adaptation they create. So ill never need anything Disney related.

Disney owns ESPN and ABC. There may come a time in the future where you need to subscribe to Disney to watch NBA playoff games.

if Bulls suck and they likely will aint gonna spend a cent.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,208

Post#20 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 am

Is Disney playing tough so the X-men negotiations go a certain way too?

Return to Chicago Bulls