Image ImageImage Image

Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, AshyLarrysDiaper, Payt10, RedBulls23, dougthonus, fleet, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN

User avatar
Michael Jackson
RealGM
Posts: 13,487
And1: 1,040
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#61 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:34 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Ofcourse he is injured. I expect Lauri to be next. Someone will elbow him in eye or nose or something.

We wouldnt be cursed Bulls otherwise.



True but it is an NBA problem not just a Bulls problem. Ask the Golden State Warriors. The Hutch injury doesn't mean much at this point and doesn't seem that major.
terry
Senior
Posts: 548
And1: 187
Joined: Jul 16, 2010

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Valentine 

Post#62 » by terry » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:35 pm

Jcool0 wrote:not great

Read on Twitter


Better add the Bulls to the list of teams working out Joe Johnson. Bulls need some depth at the wing position badly with how fragile our back ups (Valentine and hutch) are.
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 35,991
And1: 15,845
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#63 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:54 pm

This is why you don't skip leg day, and only focus on your upper body, Hutch.
Why so serious?
User avatar
Ben Wilson25
Pro Prospect
Posts: 821
And1: 215
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: 1983 French Open
     

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#64 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:58 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Ofcourse he is injured. I expect Lauri to be next. Someone will elbow him in eye or nose or something.

We wouldnt be cursed Bulls otherwise.


We’re not cursed. We drafted Jordan and Pippen and won 6 rings in 8 years. It takes at least 30 years of bad luck to get back to average luck.
User avatar
madvillian
RealGM
Posts: 13,196
And1: 4,068
Joined: Dec 23, 2004
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#65 » by madvillian » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:59 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:This is why you don't skip leg day, and only focus on your upper body, Hutch.


Or he skipped prehab, rehab and hamstring isolation day and only did quad workouts (or mostly quad and glute) like back squats.

Really wish more young guys would have proper training and not just lift like they are building a beach body or going for powerlifting records. They need incredibly specific pro basketball trainers.

Hamstring problems are almost always related to improper training.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.


I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 13,788
And1: 3,300
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#66 » by sco » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:13 pm

madvillian wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:This is why you don't skip leg day, and only focus on your upper body, Hutch.


Or he skipped prehab, rehab and hamstring isolation day and only did quad workouts (or mostly quad and glute) like back squats.

Really wish more young guys would have proper training and not just lift like they are building a beach body or going for powerlifting records. They need incredibly specific pro basketball trainers.

Hamstring problems are almost always related to improper training.

To be fair, his upper body focus was because of his foot injury during offseason, but I'm 100% of the mind that many of our young guys don't train right.
:clap:
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 35,991
And1: 15,845
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#67 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:21 pm

So what's the usual recovery period for hamstring injuries? Obviously we don't know the severity, but is possible that he will be ready by training camp?
Why so serious?
User avatar
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,585
And1: 8,411
Joined: Nov 01, 2001
Location: Cookin' with Derrick Rose

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#68 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:00 am

kulaz3000 wrote:So what's the usual recovery period for hamstring injuries? Obviously we don't know the severity, but is possible that he will be ready by training camp?


Well when you figure training camp opens in about 3 weeks and the first preseason game is like Oct 7. I would be very surprised if he played by then. Usually they would say if he would be ready by training camp. I think they will be cautious.
The quest for #7
User avatar
madvillian
RealGM
Posts: 13,196
And1: 4,068
Joined: Dec 23, 2004
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#69 » by madvillian » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:14 am

kulaz3000 wrote:So what's the usual recovery period for hamstring injuries? Obviously we don't know the severity, but is possible that he will be ready by training camp?


Usually when teams use the specific term "strain" they mean it to be a Grade 1 tear. Which for most muscle groups is a 2-4 week injury that requires only rest.

With the hamstring it can be a bit trickier since it's a major muscle (group of them really) that is involved in almost every athletic movement.

I'm guessing they shut him down for two weeks, evaluate him again, then start rehab with jogging, biking and pool work.

He'll be fine but it's concerning that (much like we all saw with Rose, and I'm not saying it's to nearly the same degree, not at all) coming off a surgery he was ramping up activity and hurt himself. He'll need to show much more resilience in order to get through the season.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.


I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 35,991
And1: 15,845
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#70 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:18 am

Unfornuate.

Though he isn't high on my watch list, in terms of improvements, he is definitely on there. I was hoping for a little a few steps towards progress from him. It could still happen, but him missing training camp, which is so crucial, especially for younger players, is definitely going to set him back.
Why so serious?
User avatar
keloms
Veteran
Posts: 2,527
And1: 1,754
Joined: Aug 02, 2010

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#71 » by keloms » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:54 am

kulaz3000 wrote:So what's the usual recovery period for hamstring injuries? Obviously we don't know the severity, but is possible that he will be ready by training camp?


Average guy is probably 2-3 weeks, but, for the Bulls? Mid-November.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 13,788
And1: 3,300
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#72 » by sco » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:57 pm

keloms wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:So what's the usual recovery period for hamstring injuries? Obviously we don't know the severity, but is possible that he will be ready by training camp?


Average guy is probably 2-3 weeks, but, for the Bulls? Mid-November.

what year?
:clap:
wonderboy2
Veteran
Posts: 2,590
And1: 1,608
Joined: Jul 05, 2013

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#73 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:59 pm

Probably a 3-6 week injury. I had some pretty bad strains and I recovered from them pretty quickly. Hamstrings can be alittle tricky though. But this is the bulls so you never know.
ATRAIN53
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,385
And1: 1,161
Joined: Dec 14, 2007
Location: Chicago

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#74 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:07 pm

Hutch is still a year away from mattering. Whatever we get from him is really gravy.
I just want to see him get to the FT stripe a few times this year.

Valentine - He has to ball out at some point when he gets healthy.
Contract year. We could probably extend him on the cheap for 2 more years.
he''s only 25. He can hit the 3.
I like him but it's like Dunn - seems injury prone.
bad knees
Analyst
Posts: 3,607
And1: 1,103
Joined: Jul 09, 2009

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#75 » by bad knees » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:35 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Hutch is still a year away from mattering. Whatever we get from him is really gravy.
I just want to see him get to the FT stripe a few times this year.

Valentine - He has to ball out at some point when he gets healthy.
Contract year. We could probably extend him on the cheap for 2 more years.
he''s only 25. He can hit the 3.
I like him but it's like Dunn - seems injury prone.


Discussing the desirability and likelihood of extending Val is magical thinking, given that at this point we have absolutely no indication of where he stands on his recovery. We are all assuming that his recovery is complete and that he will be showing up at training camp like everyone else, ready to go. In actuality, we have no information whatsoever to support the premise that this will happen. There has been no news. And in our modern world where we have news about everything, the fact that we have not heard anything about: (1) what exactly Val's injury is; (2) what exactly his surgery was; (3) what his prognosis is for return; and (4) where he stands on his recovery path - well that is downright alarming and strongly suggests that the answers are not good in terms of Val being a contributor this year.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 13,788
And1: 3,300
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#76 » by sco » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:23 pm

bad knees wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:Hutch is still a year away from mattering. Whatever we get from him is really gravy.
I just want to see him get to the FT stripe a few times this year.

Valentine - He has to ball out at some point when he gets healthy.
Contract year. We could probably extend him on the cheap for 2 more years.
he''s only 25. He can hit the 3.
I like him but it's like Dunn - seems injury prone.


Discussing the desirability and likelihood of extending Val is magical thinking, given that at this point we have absolutely no indication of where he stands on his recovery. We are all assuming that his recovery is complete and that he will be showing up at training camp like everyone else, ready to go. In actuality, we have no information whatsoever to support the premise that this will happen. There has been no news. And in our modern world where we have news about everything, the fact that we have not heard anything about: (1) what exactly Val's injury is; (2) what exactly his surgery was; (3) what his prognosis is for return; and (4) where he stands on his recovery path - well that is downright alarming and strongly suggests that the answers are not good in terms of Val being a contributor this year.

Good point. I remember for SL Val hadn't been cleared for 5-5 yet.
:clap:
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 16,240
And1: 3,102
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#77 » by Chi town » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:38 pm

madvillian wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:This is why you don't skip leg day, and only focus on your upper body, Hutch.


Or he skipped prehab, rehab and hamstring isolation day and only did quad workouts (or mostly quad and glute) like back squats.

Really wish more young guys would have proper training and not just lift like they are building a beach body or going for powerlifting records. They need incredibly specific pro basketball trainers.

Hamstring problems are almost always related to improper training.


This. Or he will be Efrid Payton and out of the league.

If Dunn commits to being Marcus Smart he can have a long productive career. Its all about ego for him.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 13,788
And1: 3,300
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#78 » by sco » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:29 pm

Chi town wrote:
madvillian wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:This is why you don't skip leg day, and only focus on your upper body, Hutch.


Or he skipped prehab, rehab and hamstring isolation day and only did quad workouts (or mostly quad and glute) like back squats.

Really wish more young guys would have proper training and not just lift like they are building a beach body or going for powerlifting records. They need incredibly specific pro basketball trainers.

Hamstring problems are almost always related to improper training.


This. Or he will be Efrid Payton and out of the league.

If Dunn commits to being Marcus Smart he can have a long productive career. Its all about ego for him.

I get your point, but Payton is still in the league (signed with Knicks - but he has to play power forward like rest of roster) :wink:
:clap:
User avatar
samwana
General Manager
Posts: 8,658
And1: 1,729
Joined: Jul 24, 2002
Location: Munich (Germany)
 

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#79 » by samwana » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:03 pm

sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Or he skipped prehab, rehab and hamstring isolation day and only did quad workouts (or mostly quad and glute) like back squats.

Really wish more young guys would have proper training and not just lift like they are building a beach body or going for powerlifting records. They need incredibly specific pro basketball trainers.

Hamstring problems are almost always related to improper training.


This. Or he will be Efrid Payton and out of the league.

If Dunn commits to being Marcus Smart he can have a long productive career. Its all about ego for him.

I get your point, but Payton is still in the league (signed with Knicks - but he has to play power forward like rest of roster) :wink:


Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Why support #FireGar??

this is why
User avatar
Ccwatercraft
Veteran
Posts: 2,508
And1: 1,099
Joined: Jul 11, 2017
       

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Valentine 

Post#80 » by Ccwatercraft » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:05 am

bad knees wrote:I noticed that Valentine did not appear in any of the photos of the summer workouts. His Twitter account is silent as to what is happening with him. Anyone know if he is actually practicing with the team at this point?

I got a bad feeling about this situation.


Last time I saw him he was eating a chicken sandwich in the park.

Return to Chicago Bulls