Image ImageImage Image

Which free agent will be the most impactful for the bulls this season Sato or Young?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Re: Which free agent will be the most impactful for the bulls this season Sato or Young? 

Post#41 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:33 am

erlim wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:Sato is probably going to perform borderline all-star for us and he literally proved against all-star studded USA talent.
He was already somewhat proven as avg starter during his stint with Washington which is a far superior team to the Bulls.
His salary is also dirt cheap its better than literally adding Kemba, Irving in terms of price to performance standpoint.
Freaking EG just signed nearly twice for a contender so that tells how big of a steal this move was.

I am not sure White will ever be better than Sato at this point. His ceiling seem to be what Sato will provide for the duration of his contract. Probably should have drafted Rui and NAW by trading down. This is why I hate when teams draft by need, not BPA.
Sato is a 30 minute minimum starter so pg is not even needed anymore.

Whoa I don’t know about that. Good vision, good at finishing with a full head of steam going to the bucket, and reliable jumper. All things Dunn doesn’t have, but I wouldn’t go overboard. Full potential Lavine, Lauri, and even Sato isn’t a playoff team.

I am not saying Sato is a superstar. What I am suggesting he is one of the best value players you can get compared to a injury prone Kemba, Irving which then you would have wasted 40mil for nothing for the yr.
Obviously, the Bulls have 0 all star talent and will struggle to make playoffs but Sato signing alone was an A+.

Young would have been an A+ signing but its 3,4 years too late. Guys obviously a veteran and not in his prime.
Hopefully, he provides leadership and toughness (D Green role) and make up for his lack of performance on the court.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Which free agent will be the most impactful for the bulls this season Sato or Young? 

Post#42 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:50 am

Showtime23 wrote:I am not saying Sato is a superstar. What I am suggesting he is one of the best value players you can get compared to a injury prone Kemba, Irving which then you would have wasted 40mil for nothing for the yr.
Obviously, the Bulls have 0 all star talent and will struggle to make playoffs but Sato signing alone was an A+.

Kemba isn't injury prone.

He has played 322 of the possible 328 games the last 4 seasons.
Why so serious?
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#43 » by Ccwatercraft » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:49 am

erlim wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:Sato is probably going to perform borderline all-star for us and he literally proved against all-star studded USA talent.
He was already somewhat proven as avg starter during his stint with Washington which is a far superior team to the Bulls.
His salary is also dirt cheap its better than literally adding Kemba, Irving in terms of price to performance standpoint.
Freaking EG just signed nearly twice for a contender so that tells how big of a steal this move was.

I am not sure White will ever be better than Sato at this point. His ceiling seem to be what Sato will provide for the duration of his contract. Probably should have drafted Rui and NAW by trading down. This is why I hate when teams draft by need, not BPA.

Whoa I don’t know about that. Good vision, good at finishing with a full head of steam going to the bucket, and reliable jumper. All things Dunn doesn’t have, but I wouldn’t go overboard. Full potential Lavine, Lauri, and even Sato isn’t a playoff team.

Add porter, Carter and improved bench in the east and I think they can make the playoffs. Need 2 b healthy too.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#44 » by AKfanatic » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:09 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:
erlim wrote:

Add porter, Carter and improved bench in the east and I think they can make the playoffs. Need 2 b healthy too.

The potential is definitely there. Sato really looks like he’ll be an exceptional fit. Lauri is at the point where he should make a nice leap in consistently and become what he’ll be in the NBA. Carter showed last season that he can be a game changing defensive player, and showed good signs offensively when he was used as an option. Zach showed signs in his game that even doubters have to admit were positive. Otto proved to be the perfect glue type fit that helped other guys define their roles. If guys like Hutch and Val prove to be useful off the bench, to go with Young and White, this team could really surprise some people.

Health is definitely the largest question mark for a team with a few question marks..... but if this team remains fairly healthy, it should be fun.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#45 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 6:08 am

Showtime23 wrote:
I am not saying Sato is a superstar. What I am suggesting he is one of the best value players you can get compared to a injury prone Kemba, Irving which then you would have wasted 40mil for nothing for the yr.

--------

I like Satoransky, but let's not get carried away. Keep things in perspective about what he is and what he can do for this team. You're right, he is definitely not a superstar, nor will he ever be one. He is 28 years old and a finished product for the most part. He's not a savior. He's a solid player. Career 13.7 PER. Low volume scorer, low volume shooter who can knock down an open J but he's never taken more than two 3 pt shots a game. Hell, he's never taken more than 6.6 FGA per game. Fairly decent playmaker, nothing outstanding there. Decent handles, not great. Does a little bit of everything decent, nothing outstanding except shooting when open. He's not really a creator. He's had three seasons in the NBA and played in the playoffs twice.

Bulls fans need to temper their expectations for him. I believe he's probably the best option we have at point guard and he's got decent size and should be a solid player who doesn't make a lot of mistakes but isn't going to put the team on his back ever either. He's started less than 90 games ever in the NBA, at 28 years old. Last season was his most productive and he played almost 28 MPG and put up fairly low volume pedestrian numbers. His shooting percentages are by far his best attribute. 14.1 PER last season. As a starter in 32.5 MPG he averaged 10.7 PPG, 6.2 APG, and 4.3 RPG. Those are decent numbers but let's not compare him to Kemba or Kyrie. Don't expect him to put the team on his back or become a 20 and 10 type of player. That's not who he is.

Career

Career Playoffs

I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#46 » by TeamMan » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:25 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

--------

I like Satoransky, but let's not get carried away. Keep things in perspective about what he is and what he can do for this team. You're right, he is definitely not a superstar, nor will he ever be one. He is 28 years old and a finished product for the most part. He's not a savior. He's a solid player. Career 13.7 PER. Low volume scorer, low volume shooter who can knock down an open J but he's never taken more than two 3 pt shots a game. Hell, he's never taken more than 6.6 FGA per game. Fairly decent playmaker, nothing outstanding there. Decent handles, not great. Does a little bit of everything decent, nothing outstanding except shooting when open. He's not really a creator. He's had three seasons in the NBA and played in the playoffs twice.

Bulls fans need to temper their expectations for him. I believe he's probably the best option we have at point guard and he's got decent size and should be a solid player who doesn't make a lot of mistakes but isn't going to put the team on his back ever either. He's started less than 90 games ever in the NBA, at 28 years old. Last season was his most productive and he played almost 28 MPG and put up fairly low volume pedestrian numbers. His shooting percentages are by far his best attribute. 14.1 PER last season. As a starter in 32.5 MPG he averaged 10.7 PPG, 6.2 APG, and 4.3 RPG. Those are decent numbers but let's not compare him to Kemba or Kyrie. Don't expect him to put the team on his back or become a 20 and 10 type of player. That's not who he is.

Career

Career Playoffs

Agree.

All we need from our PG is to get the ball up the floor and get it to our three core players (Zach, Lauri and OPJ).

Then, if they get double-teamed and the ball comes back to the PG, that he hits the open shot.

Both Sato and Coby can do both things on a reliable basis, but Coby is faster in transition.

Defensively, they only need to stay in from of their man, make them take difficult shots and have the court-awareness (BB-IQ) to play team-defense.

And again, both Sato and Coby have shown that they can do this and also provide some rebounding from the PG position (which is not really expected, but is nice to have).

Dunn, and also Archi-D, have not shown that they can do all of these things on a consistent basis.

Dunn can make some crazy TOs that leave you scratching your head wondering what happened. While Archi-D is a gritty defender, but he can be posted up, and you don't expect him to rebound.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#47 » by erlim » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:51 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
erlim wrote:

Young would have been an A+ signing but its 3,4 years too late. Guys obviously a veteran and not in his prime.
Hopefully, he provides leadership and toughness (D Green role) and make up for his lack of performance on the court.

Oh, right on, co-signed.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:24 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

--------

Career

Career Playoffs

Like if you see raw numbers, most would think hes a role player rather than a starter.
That is not true as he is sort of a late bloomer and was buried behind for the most part until later this season.
Looking at those advanced stats, it is clear he will be at worst an average starter with solid chance being above avg.
His ceiling is borderline all-star and if he really develops getting 35mins for 5 plus season, I can see making all-star once in a weak East. Dont let the age fool you. He only has 3 yrs of exp in the NBA and still developing but is already an excellent two way player.
Gar Pax would have to go jail for stealing two of the best Wizards players for basically nothing. If Beal somehow comes, the Bulls literally have plunged all the assets of a single franchise. Wizards would then have to rebuild for another decade.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:37 pm

Per 36min this season: 12pts/6.6asts/4.5 rbds/1.4 steals on near 50/40/80 shooting.
Basically elite numbers minus the scoring so he doesnt have to make Jimmy Butler improvement.
If he makes 1 more three and go to the line 1 more time, your looking at a 15/8/5 player with very good defense.
Also, him hitting .150 win share and 60% TS mark as a guard tells me he is no ordinary player.
Basically, that's getting Otto Porter of the PG's which screams to me borderline all-star.
Obviously, his success isnt guaranteed but very likely. This is like buying very low on stocks which will probably rise several times which is why its one of the best Bulls trade in recent history.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#50 » by sco » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:37 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Per 36min this season: 12pts/6.6asts/4.5 rbds/1.4 steals on near 50/40/80 shooting.
Basically elite numbers minus the scoring so he doesnt have to make Jimmy Butler improvement.
If he makes 1 more three and go to the line 1 more time, your looking at a 15/8/5 player with very good defense.
Also, him hitting .150 win share and 60% TS mark as a guard tells me he is no ordinary player.
Basically, that's getting Otto Porter of the PG's which screams to me borderline all-star.
Obviously, his success isnt guaranteed but very likely. This is like buying very low on stocks which will probably rise several times which is why its one of the best Bulls trade in recent history.

Very good points!

IMO, if you have 2 guys who can score semi-efficiently on volume and are 3 point threats, then filling out the rest of the line-up with efficient, unselfish guys who are able to hurt teams if doubled-off is ideal.
:clap:
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,676

Post#51 » by Dez » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:07 am

Are you coming back to reality at any stage?

Satoransky played an okay game against the US and now you're saying he's better value than Kemba and a near All Star? Stop overrating him.

Going by your logic Patty Mills is a superstar after destroying the US in Melbourne.

Also the Bulls didn't draft for need they drafted the BPA which was White.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#52 » by sco » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:54 pm

Dez wrote:

Are you coming back to reality at any stage?

Satoransky played an okay game against the US and now you're saying he's better value than Kemba and a near All Star? Stop overrating him.

Going by your logic Patty Mills is a superstar after destroying the US in Melbourne.

Also the Bulls didn't draft for need they drafted the BPA which was White.

I get the enthusiasm for Sato, but IMO, his appeal is that he isn't an allstar (to me Allstars tend to be ball dominant scorers). I do agree that having 3 guys who are unselfish, efficient and defense-playing on the floor with Lauri and Zach will have unexpected benefits.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls