Image ImageImage Image

Can Zach LaVine Win The Scoring Title This Season?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Re: Can Zach LaVine Win The Scoring Title This Season? 

Post#41 » by sco » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:21 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like his candor.

Bourguet: Last one, heading into a new season and coming off a breakout year, what’s one aspect of your game that you feel like people are sleeping on a little bit?

LaVine: Probably my playmaking ability. I feel like everybody knows I can score and put up big numbers, but I feel like I’m able to create plays off of breaking down the defense for others. I gotta work on my turnovers, I try to make some risky passes where you get a little bit of tunnel vision and can make some turnovers, but I feel like those aggressive plays sometimes help your team out. Always, the league leader in assists have a lot of turnovers. As long as they’re aggressive, those are okay, but with my playmaking, I feel like I can take another jump this year. I have the ball in my hand a lot. I want to be able to play off the ball and get some easy points as well, but I’ve definitely been focused on my playmaking and being able to draw that double-team or create a line where I can get to the hole when I need to and then kick it out or drop it off to get easier looks for my teammates.
:clap:
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#42 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 am

One thing I thought of, if he is able to up his FGs per game to 10 from 8.4.
5 fgs per half seems doable for him.
He would easily be all star caliber again but tbh he had a signature season last year, if he were to replicate it stat for stat with no improvement, I’d be more than ok with it.
sco
RealGM

Post#43 » by sco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 pm

I give Zach credit for being a self-aware, more so than most highly-paid, first-option scorers. I saw real changes in his shot selection during the season. I give him some credit for his lower efficiency and turn-over numbers because the rest of the guys on the floor with him for most of the season weren't NBA caliber players.

I care about him becoming a better defender a lot more than him winning a scoring title.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#44 » by Stratmaster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Gee, are there any other players who will turn 25 this year and are in their 6th season?

I would expect a large number of the 25 year olds in the league are in their 6th season.

So basically the argument is "he is going to turn 25".

I'm a Lavine supporter but if he is the scoring champ something went terribly wrong for the Bulls and it likely won't be a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Why would something have to go wrong if Zach hits his ceiling and bypasses that as a scorer?
Having a player of that caliber is a key to competitiveness.
Not sure how it would foreshadow a negative outcome.

The Bulls are built based on multiple scorers. If Zach has that much volume, Lauri (and a few others) likely provided nothing of value. I don't think the Bulls can win many games that way.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#45 » by transplant » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm

The Bulls team I envision is one that takes advantage of the scoring abilities of LaVine, Markkanen, Porter, Carter, Satoransky, Young and White. Theoretically, LaVine could lead the league in scoring, but it’s hard to see how this would be a good thing for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#46 » by meekrab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:01 am

No, because at least 3 other guys on the team are able to score too.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#47 » by logical_art » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 am

Did Harden retire?
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#48 » by ArtMorte » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:43 am

I hope he'll be an all-star this season.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#49 » by bledredwine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:38 pm

League Circles wrote:I think his scoring is much more likely to go down than up, but with increased efficiency.

This is what I’m hoping for. Lauri is ready to make a leap.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#50 » by samwana » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 pm

sco wrote:I give Zach credit for being a self-aware, more so than most highly-paid, first-option scorers. I saw real changes in his shot selection during the season. I give him some credit for his lower efficiency and turn-over numbers because the rest of the guys on the floor with him for most of the season weren't NBA caliber players.

I care about him becoming a better defender a lot more than him winning a scoring title.
I agree, every time I read this thread title, my first thought was, that I don't care one bit about him winning a scoring title. This season it is not about individual accolades, it's to see who is able to play winning team basketball. If it happens within a team concept I'll take it, but I'm pretty sure it won't help the team win games if Zach gets a scoring title.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#51 » by BigJimFinn » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:01 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:One thing I thought of, if he is able to up his FGs per game to 10 from 8.4.
He would easily be all star caliber again but tbh he had a signature season last year, if he were to replicate it stat for stat with no improvement, I’d be more than ok with it.

Exactly three players had 10 FGM per game last season:
Harden 10.7, LeBron 10.1 and Giannis 10.0
Doable, maybe, but a big ask and requires a higher usage than would be healthy for this team.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#52 » by nomorezorro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:55 pm

i think there is a pretty solid chance that zach is by far our best scoring option next season. in that scenario, i would be pretty happy with him taking a lot of shots because hes good at making them

obviously it would be great if lauri was also an elite scorer (and our secondary options were good too, and we had a system that effectively produced shots for them). but if zach takes another step forward offensively and stands out from the rest of the roster, then we should put the ball in his hands even if it doesn't fit our ideal vision of a Balanced Attack or whatever
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
sco
RealGM

Post#53 » by sco » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:One thing I thought of, if he is able to up his FGs per game to 10 from 8.4.

Exactly three players had 10 FGM per game last season:
Harden 10.7, LeBron 10.1 and Giannis 10.0
Doable, maybe, but a big ask and requires a higher usage than would be healthy for this team.

I think Zach's shots per game are more likely to go down than up. He was playing alongside too many bad players and needed to shoulder too much of the load. Adding a Sato will force additional shot distribution (which is a good thing IMO).
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#54 » by StunnerKO » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to Chicago Bulls