Image ImageImage Image

Antonio Blakeney released

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Re: Antonio Blakeney released 

Post#41 » by Evil_Headband » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:16 pm

I’m a little surprised at the timing. You never know what might happen with trades and injuries. They had to the end of preseason to make a decision.

Perhaps they didn’t want him back regardless. Or perhaps there are dynamics going on behind the scenes.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#42 » by dougthonus » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:38 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Guy was on mission to do anything other than be NBA player. I mean we tanked, we lacked legit guard play for years and guy couldnt get on the floor and produce in any role other than being a chucker.

It's actually sad to be that talented at sport and being so dumb in same time in head not to take advantage of God's given gift you have. You said near 40% 3pt shooter, I say not passing ball at all (he actually might be worst one in NBA history) and shooting long mid-range low efficiency shots.

He's not even 23 yet. I think if you have the shooting talent that a coach could find a use for you pretty easily. Just tell him "I'm pulling you off the floor the first time you dribble the ball twice or take long 2, your role is to shoot 3s and move the ball". For a guy barely hanging on just hoping to make it in the league, I'd struggle to think he wouldn't be willing to do that.

Either way, it's no huge loss. I don't think Blakeney was going to be a good player, but I think he could have been a useful guy in the 12-15 slot where he has a niche skill that might come in handy here and there if other guys are hurt.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#43 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:15 pm

Good. Bulls didn’t need him. Felicio needs to go next, but doubt he accepts a buyout since he will no longer be in the NBA after this contract.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#44 » by sco » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:24 pm

dougthonus wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:Guy was on mission to do anything other than be NBA player. I mean we tanked, we lacked legit guard play for years and guy couldnt get on the floor and produce in any role other than being a chucker.

It's actually sad to be that talented at sport and being so dumb in same time in head not to take advantage of God's given gift you have. You said near 40% 3pt shooter, I say not passing ball at all (he actually might be worst one in NBA history) and shooting long mid-range low efficiency shots.

He's not even 23 yet. I think if you have the shooting talent that a coach could find a use for you pretty easily. Just tell him "I'm pulling you off the floor the first time you dribble the ball twice or take long 2, your role is to shoot 3s and move the ball". For a guy barely hanging on just hoping to make it in the league, I'd struggle to think he wouldn't be willing to do that.

Either way, it's no huge loss. I don't think Blakeney was going to be a good player, but I think he could have been a useful guy in the 12-15 slot where he has a niche skill that might come in handy here and there if other guys are hurt.

I think the Blakeney is a good example of the challenge that g-league stars have becoming NBA bench players. There is a big adjustment from being the guy shooting all the time and having the ball in his hands to being a guy who is a 3rd option scorer with a bench unit. Going from ball dominant to efficient is very hard.

In Blakeney's case, his biggest challenge IMO, was that he jumped too high leading to a very inconsistent shot (esp. from 3).
:clap:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,131

Post#45 » by League Circles » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:28 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:I’m a little surprised at the timing. You never know what might happen with trades and injuries. They had to the end of preseason to make a decision.

Perhaps they didn’t want him back regardless. Or perhaps there are dynamics going on behind the scenes.

Probably just a courtesy, as the only way he was really gonna be brought back was if Dunn was traded for nothing and that ship had clearly sailed. Now Blakeney has more time to find another opportunity wherever it may be around the world.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#46 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:59 pm

I like him, I still believe he's got NBA potential.
He can hit the 3 and he can get to the bucket.

KD liked him, maybe the Nets will call.

He's right at that make or break point, entering year 3
I think right place he could be a 15+PPG scorer.
If Payne got a deal with TOR, AB will get signed.

I sense him as a future thorn in our side for some reason now.....
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#47 » by ZOMG » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:27 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I like him, I still believe he's got NBA potential.
He can hit the 3 and he can get to the bucket.

KD liked him, maybe the Nets will call.

He's right at that make or break point, entering year 3
I think right place he could be a 15+PPG scorer.
If Payne got a deal with TOR, AB will get signed.

I sense him as a future thorn in our side for some reason now.....

Remind me never to hire Durant to coach on any level.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#48 » by logical_art » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:54 pm

Now get rid of Felicio and Dunn and find a PF and swingman.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#49 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:31 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:Good. Bulls didn’t need him. Felicio needs to go next, but doubt he accepts a buyout since he will no longer be in the NBA after this contract.

Felicio is here because he has value as a salary match in a trade. They don’t have a lot of that on the roster.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#50 » by ChettheJet » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:41 pm

The parallels to JamesOn Curry will ring louder as he fades into history. He was a one dimensional player who scored some points on a tanking team but when he got the ball the offense stopped moving because the other 4 guys knew he was going to shoot. On a tanking team that's fine but his game was never going to change and the team's prospects for wins is.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#51 » by transplant » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:45 pm

As Doug pointed out, he’s young and can shoot the 3. Alas, that is a complete list of his positives. I did not like watching him play...at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#52 » by rtblues » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:34 pm

I'd like to, if possible, summarize the "Blakeney Problem" in one GLARING STAT that jumps out. The guy had MORE damn shot attempts than he did passes. And no, I don't mean assists, I mean, just an actual pass. That is completely out of hand. I'm trying to imagine how long this clown could have stuck on a Pops team. Good riddance to bad rubbish. The best players affect winning and make others around them better, he not only does neither, but is a net negative. Sorry, not sorry...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#53 » by sco » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm

:clap:
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#54 » by PaKii94 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

sco wrote:https://sportando.basketball/en/antonio-blakeney-agreed-to-terms-with-jiangsu/

Probably a good place for him. He can chuck and put up numbers with the best of them when playing at lower than NBA stage.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#55 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:45 pm

He must need the $$$
That 1.3 mil must not have gone very far.....

Otherwise I don't see why he isn't trying to earn a spot in training came with someone?
He's got NBA talent.

I mean if Cameron Payne can get signed.........
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Post#56 » by samwana » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Is Blakeney the first player that didnt get an appreciation thread? Or did it disappear so quick?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#57 » by PaKii94 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:14 am

samwana wrote:Is Blakeney the first player that didnt get an appreciation thread? Or did it disappear so quick?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app

:lol: :lol: who appreciated him anyway
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#58 » by ZOMG » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 am

sco wrote:https://sportando.basketball/en/antonio-blakeney-agreed-to-terms-with-jiangsu/

Dunn will join him soon enough.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#59 » by SfBull » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm

This is good news.

Return to Chicago Bulls