Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP during his career

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Re: Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP during his career 

Post#61 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:02 am

Nope, no chance
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#62 » by coldfish » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Hold That wrote:
logical_art wrote:Sato wins MIP or Lauri wins MVP: what's more likely?

Neither

Lauri is only extremely good at 3 point shooting. Heā€™s mediocre at everything else and what makes him special is that the one thing heā€™s good at he just happens to be a seven footer.

Until he shows something else besides 3point shooting such as a midrange game that he goes to consistently, then MVP talks shouldnā€™t be even in the question

I agree that Lauri's best attribute is his 3p shooting and his status as a 7 footer adds to the mystique. That said, he ranked somewhere around 30th for 3p per game at 2.3. His 36.1% shooting from long isn't exactly world beating either. Overall, his best characteristic isn't that impressive.

In Lauri's defense, there is always Februlauri. That month where he averaged 26.0p 12.2r 2.4a on 48.6%fg and 34.8%3p. If somehow he could do that for a season, he is in a lot of conversations for being a great player.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,605

Post#63 » by DuckIII » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Itā€™s kinda hard to win MVP. If the over under is 0.5, Iā€™m taking the under.

I do like having him on the Bulls though.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#64 » by kodo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Heā€™s not good enough offensively as a creator, which is fine as a 7 footer but creation is the most important offensive factor.

Defensively, he hasnā€™t shown anything so far to indicate heā€™d be an MVP level 7 footer.

The other road to MVP is just team success, like Dirk in 07. But Chicago would have to win 67 games to make that convincing of a statement.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,261

Post#65 » by Mk0 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 pm

What? No. Love the guy but I can't see any chance of that happening
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#66 » by Indomitable » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:22 pm

bullsnewdynasty wrote:Nope, no chance

I do not think he ends up the best player on the team.
:banghead:
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#67 » by ZOMG » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Weird take, weird thread. The thought of Lauri winning an MVP has literally never even crossed my mind. He's not that player.

coldfish wrote:
Hold That wrote:
logical_art wrote:Sato wins MIP or Lauri wins MVP: what's more likely?

Neither

Lauri is only extremely good at 3 point shooting. Heā€™s mediocre at everything else and what makes him special is that the one thing heā€™s good at he just happens to be a seven footer.

Until he shows something else besides 3point shooting such as a midrange game that he goes to consistently, then MVP talks shouldnā€™t be even in the question

I agree that Lauri's best attribute is his 3p shooting and his status as a 7 footer adds to the mystique. That said, he ranked somewhere around 30th for 3p per game at 2.3. His 36.1% shooting from long isn't exactly world beating either. Overall, his best characteristic isn't that impressive.

In Lauri's defense, there is always Februlauri. That month where he averaged 26.0p 12.2r 2.4a on 48.6%fg and 34.8%3p. If somehow he could do that for a season, he is in a lot of conversations for being a great player.

I've never considered 3pt shooting to be Lauri's best attribute. As you said, he's good but definitely not great. I don't see him ever averaging 40% over a season.

But what IS his best skill then? This is actually a pretty interesting question - particularly because last season muddied the waters somewhat. On the basis of his rookie season, I'd have said that Lauri's best attribute is a combination of things: his intelligence and feel for the game coupled with aggressiveness, athleticism and a knack for scoring the ball. No single skill jumped out at you.

But last season, overall, was IMO a disappointment and Lauri lost quite a bit of what made him effective as a rookie. Back then, he was a scorer. Last season, he put the ball in the basket at a similar clip but to me it almost seemed like he was confused about who he should be. He started overthinking and forcing things. None of the roles he tried out really seemed to fit, with the possible exception of Februlauri - a cog in a well-oiled machine.
Robin Jones
Freshman
And1: 101

Post#68 » by Robin Jones » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:24 am

Not probable, but not impossible either.

First, Lauri needs to stay healthy.

Second, Chicago needs to start winning.

After this, it's about Lauri's work ethic, a bit of luck with team mates and team's playing style, and about timing, i.e. who else is in his peak at the same time and which teams are winning in the league.

There have been different types of MVPs during the last 20 years:

1) Generational talents/#1-2 picks who from the first day of their NBA career (and usually long before) were clear all star caliber players: Shaq O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant.

2) Players who were lottery picks, but not #1-2, and who all showed early promise and most of them even started to fill the stats in their first two years, but nobody could see them becoming MVPs at this phase: Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, even Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett could be inlcuded in this category (although they were 1 year younger than other when entering the NBA, so the comparison is a bit different).

Markkanen fits exactly in this second category: 7th pick & his stats in years 1 and 2 are similar or better. Markkanen also shares the work ethic with all the above mentioned players in category 2.

(Funny thing is that in category 1 there are a few not known for their work ethic - perhaps pure talent gets you even the MVP trophy if you are talented enough;))
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#69 » by sco » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Robin Jones wrote:Not probable, but not impossible either.

First, Lauri needs to stay healthy.

Second, Chicago needs to start winning.

After this, it's about Lauri's work ethic, a bit of luck with team mates and team's playing style, and about timing, i.e. who else is in his peak at the same time and which teams are winning in the league.

There have been different types of MVPs during the last 20 years:

1) Generational talents/#1-2 picks who from the first day of their NBA career (and usually long before) were clear all star caliber players: Shaq O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant.

2) Players who were lottery picks, but not #1-2, and who all showed early promise and most of them even started to fill the stats in their first two years, but nobody could see them becoming MVPs at this phase: Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, even Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett could be inlcuded in this category (although they were 1 year younger than other when entering the NBA, so the comparison is a bit different).

Markkanen fits exactly in this second category: 7th pick & his stats in years 1 and 2 are similar or better. Markkanen also shares the work ethic with all the above mentioned players in category 2.

(Funny thing is that in category 1 there are a few not known for their work ethic - perhaps pure talent gets you even the MVP trophy if you are talented enough;))

Good points!

I would question (a little) whether he has elite work ethic. He seems like a gym guy for sure, but not sure about his skill development.

I do think he has (that evil word) potential to be elite. I see the sea change of PF's becoming the new PG as PG's take on more scoring responsibilities. Lauri, IMO, has top quartile ball handling and passing skills for a PF but I remain concerned (and maybe too vocal here) about him bulking up and the Bulls trying to force fit him into a C role (and body). I see a guy who has (had) elite end-to-end speed with and without the ball for a PF. His game isn't about posting-up guards or rim protection.
:clap:
TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#70 » by TallDude » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:06 pm

DonĀ“t care about that. I only care that he will win 1-3 champs in his career and be regular allstar.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#71 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 pm

TallDude wrote:DonĀ“t care about that. I only care that he will win 1-3 champs in his career and be regular allstar.

In Dallas? I dont see him winning ever in Chi.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#72 » by Shill » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 am

Lauriā€™s response to this thread: ā€œWhy canā€™t I be MVP?ā€
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#73 » by 2018C3 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 am

Did I miss something? Was he traded to the Knicks?
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#74 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 am

Shill wrote:Lauriā€™s response to this thread: ā€œWhy canā€™t I be MVP?ā€

When Rose said this he just led his team to 2 straight playoff appearances, 36 and 11 his 1st game in the playoffs as a rookie , won rookie of the year, was named an all star and avg 27 ppg vs the lebron led Cleveland team his 2nd time in the playoffs

Can't come off a 27 and 22 win seasons and declare a mvp campaign after all that losing. Would literally be laughed out the press conference.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
TallDude
Junior

Post#75 » by TallDude » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

We are now talking about guy who did play 2nd division in Finland around 3 years back from now. I like players who can be better year by year Like Dirk or Nash and can win that MVP award. I think Lauri is at his best after 5 more years. Still so raw but better than Dirk at same age. Atleast statwise. Now Lauri only need good team and good coach so Bulls can have even better players. Now i see some light. But letĀ“s wait and see.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#76 » by Ferulci » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:57 pm

You realize winning multiple MVP's would probably mean he is the best Euro ever ? You think he'll end up better than Dirk, Giannis or Pau Gasol or Jokic ?
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
TallDude
Junior

Post#77 » by TallDude » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Sure. I belive after 5 years he can be that good in right team. Hopefully that team is Bulls. There are so many factors but i give Lauri 5% chance to be MVP some year. I can not see him multiple MVP. Only one time. One Champ season where he does 28/12/4 and shoot 88%, 55% and 40+%. He must become that 3pt player what he was before bulking up and elbow injury. I belive those problems donĀ“t bother him anymore. He is 7ft and will make still some mistakes. But hopefully we can see solid 20+/10+ season and Bulls making playoff with good team play.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#78 » by PaKii94 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 pm

I think this is a nice video that shows what his skills are and what I think he can do consistently. I myself forgot how much he actually was creating his own shot. It also showed how difficult Lauri's life was last year. Look at the shot clock on his shots.... and the players around him.... even on some of the putback dunks you can clearly see how much PG play will help him. There were so many times where Lauri was open but instead Dunn decided to hero ball and barrel into the paint and throw up a prayer.
sco
RealGM

Post#79 » by sco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm

PaKii94 wrote:

I think this is a nice video that shows what his skills are and what I think he can do consistently. I myself forgot how much he actually was creating his own shot. It also showed how difficult Lauri's life was last year. Look at the shot clock on his shots.... and the players around him.... even on some of the putback dunks you can clearly see how much PG play will help him. There were so many times where Lauri was open but instead Dunn decided to hero ball and barrel into the paint and throw up a prayer.

I forgot he had a kid, which IMO, seems to negative impact guys' games...at least those who live with the baby.

What that video shows me is that he is a very good ball handler, but is just so-so at being able to get to the rim in the half-court. I think he can improve at that (without bulking-up).
sco
RealGM

Post#80 » by sco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Return to Chicago Bulls