Image ImageImage Image

The Newfound Genius of the Bulls Management?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Re: The Newfound Genius of the Bulls Management? 

Post#21 » by coldfish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Mark K wrote:I don't disagree with much of the OP but this thread title is way too strong for me.

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

The Newfound Genius of the Bulls Management? 

Post#22 » by transplant » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Considering that the Bulls tanked for two seasons and came away with only the 7th overall picks for the misery they inflicted on their fanbase, I think they’ve done well. Yeah, genius is over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#23 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

transplant wrote:Considering that the Bulls tanked for two seasons and came away with only the 7th overall picks for the misery they inflicted on their fanbase, I think they’ve done well. Yeah, genius is over the top.

Just imagine tanking, putting g-league players and getting 7th picks. I mean any front office would get fired just for that alone
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#24 » by transplant » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
transplant wrote:Considering that the Bulls tanked for two seasons and came away with only the 7th overall picks for the misery they inflicted on their fanbase, I think they’ve done well. Yeah, genius is over the top.

Just imagine tanking, putting g-league players and getting 7th picks. I mean any front office would get fired just for that alone

They won 27 and 22 games in those tank years...that’s pretty good tanking as I see it. In most seasons, that would have netted you top 5 picks. Reverse competition ain’t something most FOs want to be good at...not a resume highlight.

You don’t fire a FO cause they were mediocre tankers and/or the lottery balls didn’t fall their way. You judge them by how they do with the decisions that they make. As I said, they’ve done pretty well with the rebuild, particularly considering the decisions that were there to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#25 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 am

MrSparkle wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:There’s a problem with consistently being unaware of the times.

They were wrong with over valuing Noah, signing boozer (need for back basket player), and building team around guys who couldn’t shoot but needed the ball ( Lakers also showed how terrible that was.

Chicago was moving that direction with McBuckets and Niko picks. However dougie couldn’t adapt to the NBA fast enough and Snelly cat was inconsistent. This combined with a stubborn coach who didn’t realize Entire NBA was using his own schemes and changing rosters to combat against it was a recipe for more disappointment.

I’ve been screaming for more positionlesss basketball for years here. Finally we made to transition to move on. These are the type of rosters and style nba superstars are joining. Boylen if he was a recent hire from the spurs organization fans would screaming in happiness but we had Fred here while he was the Ast.

The McDermott pick pissed me off no end. Then to top it off, we draft the exact 2 players I wanted with those picks and traded them(I supposed we picked for Denver either way but still)

It really was a "Don't do it GarPax!" from-a-mile-away kind of a forecast, at least for most on this board who realized that McDermott's NCAA success had many classic warning signs (too slow to guard wings and guards, too small to play NBA PF, high usage, mediocre defense). But what especially sucked was how many great options there were in the entire draft: Zach, Saric, Nurkic, Harris, Bogdanovic, Capella. Maybe they wouldn't have played much under Thibs anyway, and the Jimmy hostilities would've caused drama/breakdowns anyway, but it sure would've helped to have 1 if not 2 good players to transition out the mess. Frankly I think Harris, Warren or Hood would've cracked the wing rotation.

That pick was just so bad and so easy to see failing from many miles away.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#26 » by andyhop » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 am

League Circles wrote:Yeah, nobody is a genius for figuring out the very basic relative quality of a three point shot.

The open attempt at the basket (dunk or layup) is always the best shot attempt.

Besides the fact that guys don't hit over 66% on open threes (I assume?), there is the certainty aspect of it and how that translates to playing with a lead and what it does to make an opponent desperate and make mistakes. Basically even when percentages are equal, because of how the game unfolds incrementally in real time, the lower variance outcome is preferred over the higher variance one, projected return being equal.

Steph hits them at 52.5% and he was the highest a quick look at NBA.com stats came up with.

Given that and the fact that a dunk at the rim is worth 2+ points once you account for fouls you want a dunk not the open 3
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#27 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:17 am

transplant wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:

They won 27 and 22 games in those tank years...that’s pretty good tanking as I see it. In most seasons, that would have netted you top 5 picks. Reverse competition ain’t something most FOs want to be good at...not a resume highlight.

You don’t fire a FO cause they were mediocre tankers and/or the lottery balls didn’t fall their way. You judge them by how they do with the decisions that they make. As I said, they’ve done pretty well with the rebuild, particularly considering the decisions that were there to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I mean you do if goal is to tank. Good front office can execute both losing and winning
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#28 » by kingkirk » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:44 pm

A few things I'd like to note (which I'm glad didn't happen):

- The Bulls offered Portis a huge extension that would've changed everything. Thankfully, he declined.

- Otto Porter is only on his team because KCP said no to a trade that would've sent Jabari to LA. That, and Wall blowing his achilles out made the Wizards get real cheap.

- Management wanted Darren Collison. He was their first option at PG. He's fine, but Satoranksy is so much better. The Bulls are lucky Collison decided to retire for faith reasons.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 741

Post#29 » by Hold That » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:20 am

Its only a genius when it has unbelievable success. Bulls haven’t had much success we’ve been in the lottery the past couple of seasons
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,410

Post#30 » by jump » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Ainge was still regarded as a genius on this board just a year ago. How does he look now? If I was a Celtics fan I’d be sorely disappointed and quite pissed. There are no geniuses in NBA management.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,549

Post#31 » by PaKii94 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:08 pm

jump wrote:Ainge was still regarded as a genius on this board just a year ago. How does he look now? If I was a Celtics fan I’d be sorely disappointed and quite pissed. There are no geniuses in NBA management.

Yeah too much of a factor is luck. I guess the best way to rate NBA management is how well they handle the luck and keep it sustained

Return to Chicago Bulls