Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Agree To Sign Justin Simon To Exhibit 10 Deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,403

Bulls Agree To Sign Justin Simon To Exhibit 10 Deal 

Post#1 » by Indomitable » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Simon will play for the Bulls in preseason and then is expected to move to their G League roster.

Scouting Report

Justin Simon from St John’s displayed versatility and a high level defensive ability. His shot needs heavy refinement, but he was the best defender at the combine. In the 3-on-3 drills, Simon guarded a point guard, a wing, and a stretch 4, all at a high level, largely in part to his enormous wingspan. His lateral quickness, high-level instincts, motor, frame, and athleticism make him a great defender that can guard NBA players from day one.
http://mavsdraft.com/recapping-the-2019-pro-basketball-combine/
:banghead:
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Re: Bulls Agree To Sign Justin Simon To Exhibit 10 Deal 

Post#2 » by sco » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:14 pm

I seems like a guy who warrants developmental investment.
:clap:
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#3 » by IamSam » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:40 pm

I guess Antonio Blakeney's release means the Bulls had to find someone else to fill the end of bench/G-league project role.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#4 » by transplant » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

The guy apparently has one NBA-caliber talent. Given the nature of the contract, that one talent is easily enough to justify the signing and kudos to the FO for being the team that got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,553

Post#5 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Explaining the "Exhibit 10 contract"
After the NBA’s biggest-name free agents come off the board, many teams shift their focus to filling out their training-camp rosters. Teams can only carry 15 players on NBA contracts (plus two on two-way deals) during the regular season, but their maximum roster size increases to 20 players in the offseason, allowing clubs to bring a few extra players to camp to audition for a place on the regular-season roster or a spot on the team’s G League affiliate.

Many of those players will sign a contract with an Exhibit 10 clause. Introduced in the NBA’s most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, Exhibit 10 contracts are one-year deals worth the minimum salary. They don’t come with any compensation protection, but can include an optional bonus ranging from $5K to $50K.

Let’s say an undrafted rookie signs an Exhibit 10 contract with the Knicks that includes a $50K bonus. He attends camp with the Knicks, but is waived before the regular season begins, with New York designating him an affiliate player in order to retain his G League rights. In that scenario, if the rookie elects to play in the G League for the Westchester Knicks and remains with the club for 60 days, he’d be entitled to his full $50K bonus.

The player wouldn’t receive that bonus if he opts to sign with a team overseas after being waived by the Knicks. Essentially, the Exhibit 10 bonus serves as an incentive for players to stick with their team’s G League affiliate — they must spend at least 60 days with the NBAGL club in order to get their bonus.

There’s another scenario in which that undrafted rookie who signs an Exhibit 10 deal with the Knicks would receive his $50K. Exhibit 10 contracts can be converted into two-way contracts, so if New York opted to do that before the season begins, the $50K bonus would turn into a salary guarantee for the player. As soon as his contract becomes a two-way deal, he’s entitled to that bonus, even if the Knicks waive him a week later.

Only teams with a G League affiliate can include an Exhibit 10 bonus in a contract. In 2019/20, the Pelicans will become the 28th NBA team with its own affiliate, leaving only the Trail Blazers and Nuggets on the outside looking in. Those clubs could technically sign players to Exhibit 10 deals, but wouldn’t be able to include bonus money.

The Heat have been one of the most active teams so far this offseason when it comes to signing Exhibit 10 contracts. Jeremiah Martin, Chris Silva, and Kyle Alexander have all received those deals, which benefit Miami in one important way — they don’t count against team salary during the offseason. That’s crucial for the hard-capped Heat, who are less than $1MM away from the tax apron and otherwise wouldn’t be able to add free agents to their roster without shedding salary elsewhere.

Here are a few more notes relating to Exhibit 10 contracts:

A team can’t carry more than six Exhibit 10 contracts at a time.
An Exhibit 10 contract can only be converted to a two-way deal before the regular season begins.
An Exhibit 10 contract that gets converted to a two-way deal can later be converted into a standard NBA contract.
An Exhibit 10 bonus earned by a player who ends up in the G League or on a two-way contract isn’t counted toward the NBA team’s total salary.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract-2.html

So he'll be playing for the Windy City Bulls. A 2 way contract spot is still open.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#6 » by TeamMan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm

He also played for the Bulls Summer League team.

Had some impressive plays.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#7 » by logical_art » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 pm

He basically has David Nwaba upside from what I can tell. Maybe a little more physical.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,691

Post#8 » by madvillian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 pm

logical_art wrote:He basically has David Nwaba upside from what I can tell. Maybe a little more physical.

Not bad then. Seems like a very reasonable investment.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#9 » by meekrab » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:44 am

If he can learn to shoot then great.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#10 » by drosereturn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am

meekrab wrote:If he can learn to shoot then great.

This is where I miss Fred Hoiberg. Literally every bad shooter seemed to improve a lot including Rose.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#11 » by sco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Showtime23 wrote:

This is where I miss Fred Hoiberg. Literally every bad shooter seemed to improve a lot including Rose.

We could use a shooting coach. I will say that Kingpin does help guy stop taking bad shots, but not with making good ones.
:clap:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,518

Post#12 » by dice » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 pm

"exhibit 10" sounds better than a regular ole nba contract
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,194

Post#13 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:30 am

Showtime23 wrote:

Oddly I saw this looking something else up and for a second I thought Doug left the NBA and enrolled in Nebraska

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-bulls-doug-mcdermott-fred-hoiberg-spt-1020-20161019-story.html
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#14 » by Clint Eastwood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 am

Personally I thought Simon looked really good in summer league.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#15 » by rtblues » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 am

I think Adam Mokoka is better...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016

Return to Chicago Bulls