Image ImageImage Image

Denzel Valentine injury update thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Re: Denzel Valentine injury update thread 

Post#21 » by madvillian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:29 am

lol, "expected to be ready".

you can't make this **** up. mofo has been "expected to be ready" going on 2 years now. ****, might as well say he's "day to day": aren't we all.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#22 » by sco » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 pm

madvillian wrote:lol, "expected to be ready".

you can't make this **** up. mofo has been "expected to be ready" going on 2 years now. ****, might as well say he's "day to day": aren't we all.

I do wonder why there hasn't been a more definitive statement of his readiness for camp.

Here's a positive spin scenario. Val slowly progresses over the season. Demonstrates he's healthy and back to where he was, but because of depth of the team, only plays 8-10 min per game. We then resign him next season on a value deal, something like 4/$16. Then he makes huge contributions going forward.
:clap:
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#23 » by Jvaughn » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

sco wrote:

I do wonder why there hasn't been a more definitive statement of his readiness for camp.

Here's a positive spin scenario. Val slowly progresses over the season. Demonstrates he's healthy and back to where he was, but because of depth of the team, only plays 8-10 min per game. We then resign him next season on a value deal, something like 4/$16. Then he makes huge contributions going forward.

I know that's not a ton of money, but I still wouldn't be willing to give Val that type of money or years. I honestly don't want him on this team after this contract, but if they have to re-sign him, something like 2 years $6 mil with a second year team option is the most I'd be willing to offer.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
sco
RealGM

Post#24 » by sco » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Jvaughn wrote:
sco wrote:

I know that's not a ton of money, but I still wouldn't be willing to give Val that type of money or years. I honestly don't want him on this team after this contract, but if they have to re-sign him, something like 2 years $6 mil with a second year team option is the most I'd be willing to offer.

I hear you, but my scenario is predicated on him returning to the top of his form, which IMO, was quite useful - but I would do your deal too.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#25 » by khufure » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm

meh who cares. can pick up anyone else and they might actually be able to contribute.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#26 » by bearadonisdna » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm

khufure wrote:meh who cares. can pick up anyone else and they might actually be able to contribute.

Theres a lot of meh who cares.

He missed a tank season last year. That’s spilled milk. He is just a guy on the team, not a huge role, he is just kind of there.
BeKuK
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#27 » by BeKuK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:59 pm

I can't believe I completely forgot he's still in Chicago. Crazy......well
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#28 » by madvillian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
khufure wrote:meh who cares. can pick up anyone else and they might actually be able to contribute.

Theres a lot of meh who cares.

He missed a tank season last year. That’s spilled milk. He is just a guy on the team, not a huge role, he is just kind of there.

He was actually a fairly useful sharpshooter that had a bit of playmaking ability (not much but some) before he got hurt. Was looking like a decent 7th or 8th man I thought. Real physical limitations and if he hasn't been playing NBA level hoops for 18 months he's going to have even more physical limitations going forward.

There's been a lot of ink spilled over him this offseason but I continue to believe he will be out of the league soon. His ankle is held together for now but I'd expect complications as he tries to ramp it up.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#29 » by StunnerKO » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,927

Post#30 » by meekrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:00 am

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

He's 2 years into rehab and can barely move when the camera's on? Yup, never playing another minute of NBA ball. :(
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#31 » by bad knees » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:43 am

meekrab wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

He's 2 years into rehab and can barely move when the camera's on? Yup, never playing another minute of NBA ball. :(

That’s one of the saddest videos I’ve ever seen. He literally cannot move or jump. Just dribbles in place and then shoots a “jump” shot where his feet don’t leave the ground. He needs to start thinking about whether he’s going to be able to attend PTA meetings with his kid. Completely done as a player.
sco
RealGM

Post#32 » by sco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:12 pm

bad knees wrote:
meekrab wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That’s one of the saddest videos I’ve ever seen. He literally cannot move or jump. Just dribbles in place and then shoots a “jump” shot where his feet don’t leave the ground. He needs to start thinking about whether he’s going to be able to attend PTA meetings with his kid. Completely done as a player.

Yeah, that was not a video to give Denzel fans optimism that he's gonna see the floor this season. :banghead:

#pinninghopetoHutch
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,387

Post#33 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:32 pm

That’s the 60 year old 35lb overweight guys jump shot @ lifetime. Yikes
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#34 » by VolumePoster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 pm

meekrab wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I'm sorry to say that was my impression as well.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#35 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 pm

This video confirmed that Denzel's career is done. He should start looking at coaching options. Maybe becoming assistant. Bulls definitely value nepotism so that's good start if he wants too.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#36 » by transplant » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:58 pm

It’s only a video, but the possibility that the Bulls will get little or nothing out of Valentine is a concern. I never thought he’d be a star or even a starter, but I’d hoped he’d develop into an average NBA player and hence an above average bench piece.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#37 » by Axolotl » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm

And here I was, thinking he is doing a ball handling drill where he is not supposed to move his feet.

Also came across this clip of Steph Curry's jump shot. No lift at all smh.

I'm not saying Valentine is all well and good, all I'm saying is that no conclusions can be made from that clip.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#38 » by transplant » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Axolotl wrote:And here I was, thinking he is doing a ball handling drill where he is not supposed to move his feet.

Also came across this clip of Steph Curry's jump shot. No lift at all smh.

I'm not saying Valentine is all well and good, all I'm saying is that no conclusions can be made from that clip.

Agreed. The old adage “nature abhors a vacuum” definitely applies to sports fans...if there’s no real information, we’ll speculate like madmen. :)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,744

Post#39 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:14 pm

sco wrote:I do wonder why there hasn't been a more definitive statement of his readiness for camp.

I don't think you see long term deals at 4m per year really. If you think a guy is only worth 4m, then you are more likely to just do 2 years and replace him with a different player worth 4m in 2 seasons which prevents you from tying up a lot of money in guys who end up being worthless.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#40 » by sco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:33 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I do wonder why there hasn't been a more definitive statement of his readiness for camp.

I don't think you see long term deals at 4m per year really. If you think a guy is only worth 4m, then you are more likely to just do 2 years and replace him with a different player worth 4m in 2 seasons which prevents you from tying up a lot of money in guys who end up being worthless.

After that video, I'd be thrilled if he's good enough to want back.

Return to Chicago Bulls