Image ImageImage Image

Bleacher Report: Top 10 NBA PF's

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Bleacher Report: Top 10 NBA PF's 

Post#1 » by sco » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:04 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853591-nba-all-time-player-rankings-top-10-power-forwards#slide0

Spoiler - Lauri isn't on the list - yet.

But neither is Duncan, who was a PF most of his career - so.
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Re: Bleacher Report: Top 10 NBA PF's 

Post#2 » by MrSparkle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:30 pm

So they ration that according BB reference, Duncan spent 71% of his time as a center -- factoring that... Interesting how the most championships on the list were Rodman and McHale, as in they helped all-time greats to many rings. Meanwhile, the 1st option types all had 1 ring or none.

Kind of implies PF has always been a utilitarian and replaceable position in the NBA. I always liked the multi-skilled, two-way role-player type: Horace Grant, Horry, Dray Green, etc.

I like Chuck but I think I'd pick Mailman over him. Better defense and a more structured offensive player. Not 100% with it but I get ranking KG as the best PF of all-time. It's a shame he got to play with a great cast of players at the end of his career. His prime was really wasted in Minnesota, with gross impotence (max for an oft-injured Wally Szczerbiak, for example - Latrell having to feed his family -- trading Cassell for a well-paid Marko Jaric). He went from one extreme to another (Boston was pretty loaded), so it's hard comparing him to guys who had more steady careers with less spectacular but solid teammates.

I always got the sense that KG was a little bit like Anthony Davis in that there was nothing he technically couldn't do, except there was a way to stop his skinny self from beating you in the post or high-post if he had to be a 1st option. That Lakers series in 04, old Malone seemingly outplayed KG in their one-on-one match-up. I like that Dirk could reliably make the clutch basket with confidence. It's an important trait for an all-time best player at their position, IMO. I don't think KG had that until he got Ray and Pierce.

No mention of Shawn Kemp? His career ended early with drugs, but he technically accomplished as much as Chuck (led the Sonics to a finals and lost in 6 to MJ, except MJ had an even more dominant supporting cast in 96). I'd easily take his pre-Cavs self over Webber's best years in Sacramento (not to mention his mediocre career before then).

They really should've tossed the positional analytics aside and just made Duncan #1. He was the starting PF on the Spurs depth chart for his entire career. He's certainly a different player than the great centers (Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Russell, Ewing) who weren't perimeter shooting threats, so it'd be unfair ranking him low against them. I suppose Ewing and Hakeem worked the mid-range, but they far more likely to work the low-post.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,793

Post#3 » by NZB2323 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:32 pm

sco wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853591-nba-all-time-player-rankings-top-10-power-forwards#slide0

Spoiler - Lauri isn't on the list - yet.

But neither is Duncan, who was a PF most of his career - so.

I don't know why this myth keeps on getting repeated. Duncan played 73% of his minutes at center.

EDIT: I'd also rank Karl Malone over Barkley. Chuck had a better prime, but the mailman took better care of his body and had a longer prime.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#4 » by transplant » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Good to see Bob Pettit and Dolf Schayes make the list. I'm really f'in old and just barely remember watching them at the very end of their careers. Can't ever recall seeing Schayes play, but Pettit was a stud.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#5 » by dice » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 am

MrSparkle wrote:No mention of Shawn Kemp? His career ended early with drugs, but he technically accomplished as much as Chuck (led the Sonics to a finals and lost in 6 to MJ, except MJ had an even more dominant supporting cast in 96). I'd easily take his pre-Cavs self over Webber's best years in Sacramento (not to mention his mediocre career before then).

gary payton led the sonics to the finals

They really should've tossed the positional analytics aside and just made Duncan #1. He was the starting PF on the Spurs depth chart for his entire career. He's certainly a different player than the great centers (Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Russell, Ewing) who weren't perimeter shooting threats, so it'd be unfair ranking him low against them. I suppose Ewing and Hakeem worked the mid-range, but they far more likely to work the low-post.

i don't see any reason that PF and C shouldn't just be consolidated as "bigs." it's not like the positional responsibilities are any different. and if we MUST delineate, i'd just assume do it by height in borderline cases. both horace grant and bill russell are 6'10", so 6'11" or taller as center and 6'10" or shorter as PF seems to make sense. duncan and garnett are both 6'11", so i'd make them both centers if i had to choose

i suppose that centers tend to be the "rim protectors" though. PFs generally are not
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#6 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 am

Replace Duncan with KG on the Spurs doubt they miss a beat and probably win one more ring. Both were really **** good to me. Prime KG was a bit more versatile while Duncan game aged extremely well.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#7 » by ChettheJet » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Obviously whoever compiled the list is to young to have seen anybody who played in the 70's so the inclusion of Schayes and Petit is based purely on stats. But Garnett being #1 shows what they looked at most were highlights and dunks that same for Chris Webber even being there. In which case Shawn Kemp maybe should have made the list. It should either be stats to stats or just being on Sprotscenter wins the day

It's interesting to note that Dirk and Garnett only won one title each, Malone and Barkley the same zero while Rodman 5 and McHale 3 were like so many that didn't make the list with multiple rings

Return to Chicago Bulls