Image ImageImage Image

KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, Payt10, Ice Man, fleet, dougthonus, kulaz3000, GimmeDat, DASMACKDOWN

LateNight
Sophomore
Posts: 217
And1: 153
Joined: Jan 14, 2019
 

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#81 » by LateNight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Hold That wrote: Sato isn’t a star and never said he was or would have to be. Nor was he in a Kris’s Dunn situation being a top 5 lottery pick so yes there will be some entitlement minutes giving considering where he was drafted and it won’t be anything different than Coby White... We just drafted Coby, we have another pick in Dunn that was top 10 lottery, and were not doing anything major this upcoming season.

It’s simple to me, Coby White development and trying to increase Kris Dunn trade value is more important than starting Sato.



Disagree.

This is his 4th year in the league - Dunn doesn't get a starting spot just because he was a high draft pick.

Currently, team chemistry is more important right now than trying to bolster Dunn's trade value. I also disagree that we're "not trying to do anything" this season - it's time for us to win some games.

I would LOVE is Dunn goes off and comes back as the type of player people hoped he would be. If that happens, maybe we start him, but based off the information that's currently public, there's no reason to think we should start him.
User avatar
Hangtime84
RealGM
Posts: 18,587
And1: 3,458
Joined: Aug 18, 2006
Location: Rogers Park
     

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#82 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 pm

LateNight wrote:
Hold That wrote: Sato isn’t a star and never said he was or would have to be. Nor was he in a Kris’s Dunn situation being a top 5 lottery pick so yes there will be some entitlement minutes giving considering where he was drafted and it won’t be anything different than Coby White... We just drafted Coby, we have another pick in Dunn that was top 10 lottery, and were not doing anything major this upcoming season.

It’s simple to me, Coby White development and trying to increase Kris Dunn trade value is more important than starting Sato.


Disagree.

This is his 4th year in the league - he doesn't get a starting spot just because he was a high draft pick.

Advanced Stat's say Sato (and Arci) are better players and team chemistry is more important right now than trying to bolster Dunn's trade value.


If Dunn bum slays the second units like Niko and Bobby both have he will increase his trade value just like both those guys did.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?


If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.


NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
LateNight
Sophomore
Posts: 217
And1: 153
Joined: Jan 14, 2019
 

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#83 » by LateNight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:
LateNight wrote:
Hold That wrote: Sato isn’t a star and never said he was or would have to be. Nor was he in a Kris’s Dunn situation being a top 5 lottery pick so yes there will be some entitlement minutes giving considering where he was drafted and it won’t be anything different than Coby White... We just drafted Coby, we have another pick in Dunn that was top 10 lottery, and were not doing anything major this upcoming season.

It’s simple to me, Coby White development and trying to increase Kris Dunn trade value is more important than starting Sato.


Disagree.

This is his 4th year in the league - he doesn't get a starting spot just because he was a high draft pick.

Advanced Stat's say Sato (and Arci) are better players and team chemistry is more important right now than trying to bolster Dunn's trade value.


If Dunn bum slays the second units like Niko and Bobby both have he will increase his trade value just like both those guys did.


I agree with this. I actually think he could be a great piece for the second unit.
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 13,440
And1: 8,264
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#84 » by kodo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Hold That wrote:How does Dunn who has no trade value at all right now, has even less trade value if he looks better because he’s gonna want to be compensated?


If he puts up a bunch of empty #s next season in Chicago and wants a Rozier-like contract at $20M per year.

If Dunn makes true improvement it's different, but the scenario everyone is talking about is the Bulls artificially inflating Dunn's #s this season by starting him when he doesn't deserve it. My point is that the Bulls have no incentive to artificially inflate Dunn's performance because he'll just demand more money next season and the more expensive a player like Dunn is, the less he'll be movable.

Dunn putting up bigger #s on a bad Chicago team won't really change his asset value, just like Jabari putting up good #s here didn't change his. All it can really do is put it into Dunn's head and his agent's that he deserves a bigger contract. So Chicago really doesn't have a motive to artificially inflate his #s.
User avatar
madvillian
RealGM
Posts: 14,118
And1: 4,599
Joined: Dec 23, 2004
Location: Brooklyn

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#85 » by madvillian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
Chi town wrote:Can you post a couple quotes?


the extent of it is literally "I’m hearing Dunn’s been killing it throughout the team’s unofficial minicamp and shining in pickup games."


I've been a big fan of the Athletic since they launched but there Bulls coverage isn't that great imo. That whole article was like a blog style thing, very little real info or reporting.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.


I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
User avatar
transplant
RealGM
Posts: 11,139
And1: 2,707
Joined: Aug 16, 2001
Location: state of perpetual confusion
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#86 » by transplant » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:44 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Could it just be organizationally-led fluff to help with trade value by any chance?


Only if you believe that the Bulls FO believes that there are GMs out there who would base a trade offer on this information. I know that there are many who hold an extremely low opinion of Bulls management, but I don't believe that they're that naive.

I suspect that Dunn will get lots of run in the preseason. If he "kills it" in these games, that might get some genuine attention.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
User avatar
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
Posts: 11,280
And1: 3,550
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Fountain Valley- A nice place to live
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#87 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm

coldfish wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Kris Dunn still has supporters?

Insert Beavis and Butthead laugh.


I seriously don't get it. The Bulls have 3 PG's on the roster that were better than last year's Dunn. Dunn really doesn't have a modern NBA PG skill set, fits horribly with Lavine and is soon to be a free agent. He would have to fantastically outplay everyone else for the Bulls to even consider giving him playing time and as of last year, he was not capable of that.

Last year's Dunn would be something like the 9th best player on this roster (Thad, Sato, Wendell, Lauri, Lavine, Otto, Arci and maybe Coby). I'm a Bulls fan and if he turns into a great player, that's good for the team but if I got to root for someone, its going to be someone other than Dunn.


We locked down 4PGs this off season.

Sato
Coby
Archi
Shaq

That’s how much the front office believes in Dunn.

All things considered including salary all 4 are better than Dunn.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
User avatar
transplant
RealGM
Posts: 11,139
And1: 2,707
Joined: Aug 16, 2001
Location: state of perpetual confusion
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#88 » by transplant » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
coldfish wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Kris Dunn still has supporters?

Insert Beavis and Butthead laugh.


I seriously don't get it. The Bulls have 3 PG's on the roster that were better than last year's Dunn. Dunn really doesn't have a modern NBA PG skill set, fits horribly with Lavine and is soon to be a free agent. He would have to fantastically outplay everyone else for the Bulls to even consider giving him playing time and as of last year, he was not capable of that.

Last year's Dunn would be something like the 9th best player on this roster (Thad, Sato, Wendell, Lauri, Lavine, Otto, Arci and maybe Coby). I'm a Bulls fan and if he turns into a great player, that's good for the team but if I got to root for someone, its going to be someone other than Dunn.


We locked down 4PGs this off season.

Sato
Coby
Archi
Shaq

That’s how much the front office believes in Dunn.

All things considered including salary all 4 are better than Dunn.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Proven_Winner
RealGM
Posts: 15,623
And1: 3,960
Joined: Jun 02, 2013

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#89 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 pm

transplant wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Could it just be organizationally-led fluff to help with trade value by any chance?


Only if you believe that the Bulls FO believes that there are GMs out there who would base a trade offer on this information. I know that there are many who hold an extremely low opinion of Bulls management, but I don't believe that they're that naive.

I suspect that Dunn will get lots of run in the preseason. If he "kills it" in these games, that might get some genuine attention.


I don’t think this will sway any GM but I don’t think they’re trying to. It could just be to keep his name in something good. We can sit here and contemplate what won’t and will GMs will fall for but truthfully we don’t know. A lot of stuff happens in the background that we’d probably never think of because of being simple or different.

I guess what I’m saying is there is a chance they do or don’t know a GM that would be interested in him. So the fluff piece may not be for every GM just the ones they know or think are interested. And we could say it wouldn’t change their mind but who knows at the very least hearing good things about someone you’re interested in will resonate with you. Especially since you want to believe they can be or are good so that it more than justifies your decision.
User avatar
transplant
RealGM
Posts: 11,139
And1: 2,707
Joined: Aug 16, 2001
Location: state of perpetual confusion
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#90 » by transplant » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:29 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
coldfish wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Kris Dunn still has supporters?

Insert Beavis and Butthead laugh.


I seriously don't get it. The Bulls have 3 PG's on the roster that were better than last year's Dunn. Dunn really doesn't have a modern NBA PG skill set, fits horribly with Lavine and is soon to be a free agent. He would have to fantastically outplay everyone else for the Bulls to even consider giving him playing time and as of last year, he was not capable of that.

Last year's Dunn would be something like the 9th best player on this roster (Thad, Sato, Wendell, Lauri, Lavine, Otto, Arci and maybe Coby). I'm a Bulls fan and if he turns into a great player, that's good for the team but if I got to root for someone, its going to be someone other than Dunn.


We locked down 4PGs this off season.

Sato[instagram][instagram][/instagram][/instagram]
Coby
Archi
Shaq

That’s how much the front office believes in Dunn.

All things considered including salary all 4 are better than Dunn.

I wouldn't argue with any of this, but none of it precludes the possibility that Dunn has made significant strides in his game and may be a better Dunn than the one you're talking about. Am I skeptical? Yeah. Do I summarily dismiss the possibility? Nope.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
User avatar
TheCly
Pro Prospect
Posts: 951
And1: 317
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#91 » by TheCly » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Only problem is, Dunn isn't good at basketball.
User avatar
madvillian
RealGM
Posts: 14,118
And1: 4,599
Joined: Dec 23, 2004
Location: Brooklyn

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#92 » by madvillian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 pm

TheCly wrote:Only problem is, Dunn isn't good at basketball.


General position on pre season hype for anybody not a rookie should be "show me when it counts".

I think the Bulls are trying to pump up Dunn and hopefully get him confident and ready to either contribute or get traded mid season. It's a better plan than they usually have where they just trash the guy and kill his value.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.


I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
User avatar
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
Posts: 11,280
And1: 3,550
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Fountain Valley- A nice place to live
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#93 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:05 pm

transplant wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
coldfish wrote:
I seriously don't get it. The Bulls have 3 PG's on the roster that were better than last year's Dunn. Dunn really doesn't have a modern NBA PG skill set, fits horribly with Lavine and is soon to be a free agent. He would have to fantastically outplay everyone else for the Bulls to even consider giving him playing time and as of last year, he was not capable of that.

Last year's Dunn would be something like the 9th best player on this roster (Thad, Sato, Wendell, Lauri, Lavine, Otto, Arci and maybe Coby). I'm a Bulls fan and if he turns into a great player, that's good for the team but if I got to root for someone, its going to be someone other than Dunn.


We locked down 4PGs this off season.

Sato[instagram][instagram][/instagram][/instagram]
Coby
Archi
Shaq

That’s how much the front office believes in Dunn.

All things considered including salary all 4 are better than Dunn.

I wouldn't argue with any of this, but none of it precludes the possibility that Dunn has made significant strides in his game and may be a better Dunn than the one you're talking about. Am I skeptical? Yeah. Do I summarily dismiss the possibility? Nope.


Significant strides? What does that mean? Is he a completely different basketball player now? How often does that happen?
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
User avatar
transplant
RealGM
Posts: 11,139
And1: 2,707
Joined: Aug 16, 2001
Location: state of perpetual confusion
       

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#94 » by transplant » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:32 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
transplant wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
We locked down 4PGs this off season.

Sato[instagram][instagram][/instagram][/instagram]
Coby
Archi
Shaq

That’s how much the front office believes in Dunn.

All things considered including salary all 4 are better than Dunn.

I wouldn't argue with any of this, but none of it precludes the possibility that Dunn has made significant strides in his game and may be a better Dunn than the one you're talking about. Am I skeptical? Yeah. Do I summarily dismiss the possibility? Nope.


Significant strides? What does that mean?
Means he's gotten a lot better at playing basketball. If this happens to a player who is already in the NBA and he's on your favorite team, it's a really good thing.

While I'm defining stuff, I said I was skeptical, which means I don't really but any of it.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
weneeda2guard
Head Coach
Posts: 6,732
And1: 2,548
Joined: Feb 07, 2011

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#95 » by weneeda2guard » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:05 pm

I'm not a big fan of relying on the play of a player in his contract year. Last thing we need is a Dunn who does very well and we are semi cornered into giving him a large deal for several years. Then once he gets his money it's back to the same ole dunn we been complaining about except its 10x harder to trade him with that money attached to him.

Imo dunn has had his shot. It's time to move on. I think the signing of Sato and drafting of coby while keeping shaq and arci tells me the bulls are thinking along the same lines
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
User avatar
PaKii94
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,838
And1: 3,008
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#96 » by PaKii94 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:I'm not a big fan of relying on the play of a player in his contract year. Last thing we need is a Dunn who does very well and we are semi cornered into giving him a large deal for several years. Then once he gets his money it's back to the same ole dunn we been complaining about except its 10x harder to trade him with that money attached to him.

Imo dunn has had his shot. It's time to move on. I think the signing of Sato and drafting of coby while keeping shaq and arci tells me the bulls are thinking along the same lines



If bulls don't offer an extension it's RFA then right? They can just wait and see what offers he gets and if it's worth matching
User avatar
rtblues
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,362
And1: 2,149
Joined: Jul 12, 2008

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#97 » by rtblues » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:19 pm

This board in December, 2019:
Remember when dudes were saying that Dunn should start? Bwahahahaha

Fuhgedaboutit... Dunn's time in CHI has passed for 10 reasons, not 1.
WYSIWG man, he is what he is and he is not sudden;y going to transform into a player people had hoped he would become but didn't.
Too late, loaded at the position, he'll want to get paid if he shows a pulse, not in the future plans or part of any Bulls core.

Now, can we lock this thread up? ;-)
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Dez
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,030
And1: 4,430
Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#98 » by Dez » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 am

rtblues wrote:It's funny how when it suits the narrative some people want to discount FIBA and any achievements made there, but when it suits another narrative, it's perfectly fine to cite FIBA.

1. A player was killing it in FIBA and is dismissed as, "Meh, it's just FIBA."
2. The entire USA Team publicly demonized for not winning it all in FIBA.

It's either "MEH it's only FIBA", or it's, "Wow, the USA could only finish 7th in FIBA"
But you can't have at both ways.

FIBA proved tougher than many imagined, if you don't believe that, ask the USA players.
However, in spite of what we all saw with our own eyes, any and all accomplishments at FIBA are dismissed.

So, how does that work exactly?


Nobody is dismissing anything, it's just knowing what to take out of it.

Take Patty Mills for example, he dominated that tournament and scored at will but do you think he's a starting caliber point guard in the NBA? He does it regularly for Australia in FIBA ball.

Also the only people that "demonized" Team USA for not winning were Americans themselves, the rest of the world knew they weren't locks to win the tournament.

Nobody outside of America is shocked they lost.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 16,517
And1: 3,198
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#99 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:59 am

1. Dunn’s biggest issue is inbetween his ears. He doesn’t know how to play given his talent and where the new nba has gone. He should be Marcus Smart 2.0. That would be a valuable player that affects winning and has trade value.

2. No way Bulls are resigning him unless he he breaks out in a major way he plays like an all star... won’t happen. He won’t get enough shots for that to happen.

3. He will be showcased and traded just like Bobby Portia was. I’d love another Otto like trade w Dunn.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 48,763
And1: 15,687
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#100 » by fleet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 am

Practice?
JackFinn wrote:I see you're back from a trip at the smarty pants store.

Return to Chicago Bulls