Image ImageImage Image

Pelicans @ Bulls - Preseason Game #2 Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Re: Pelicans @ Bulls - Preseason Game #2 Thread 

Post#41 » by suckfish » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:49 pm

The thing about Zion is he has no jumpshot or handle and is 6ft6. His foot speed has also been massively overrated. You can jump as high as you like but height and length will always win.

He's gonna be useful if you can find him as a roller or cutting tight curls into the paint, otherwise he is restricted to transition opportunities or opportunities from broken plays or putbacks.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#42 » by logical_art » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:50 pm

suckfish wrote:The thing about Zion is he has no jumpshot or handle and is 6ft6. His foot speed has also been massively overrated. You can jump as high as you like but height and length will always win.

He's gonna be useful if you can find him as a roller or cutting tight curls into the paint, otherwise he is restricted to transition opportunities or opportunities from broken plays or putbacks.

6'7" w/shoes which I believe he uses.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#43 » by madvillian » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:52 pm

suckfish wrote:The thing about Zion is he has no jumpshot or handle and is 6ft6. His foot speed has also been massively overrated. You can jump as high as you like but height and length will always win.

yea I disagree with this. He has a decent jumper and a very solid handle for a guy his size and position. He's a 4 and he's a 4 that can do a lot of things including create. Also a solid passer.

Add on the explosive athletscism and you have a ready made all-star in a couple years.

But he is being hyped up like the next Lebron or surefire top 10 guy and that's just not him, not yet. I'd be surprised if he is an immediate impact player on both ends and that seems to be the baseline.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#44 » by suckfish » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:57 pm

His jumper is pretty horrid in my opinion and I've seen no evidence of him being able to put the ball on the floor for more than say two dribbles. He runs the floor, he cuts hard, can roll and absorb contact, and can go 1-2 dribbles max and bang his way to the rim. He's pretty limited offensively I believe.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#45 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:58 pm

Chi town wrote:Felicio better come off the bench. He is awful.

I’d start Sato too.

If the Pels are sitting most of their starters Bulls better win big.

Pels' starters won easily their game over the Hawks but they'll show some interesting rookies besides Zion.Even then the Bulls should win this game.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#46 » by madvillian » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:02 pm

suckfish wrote:His jumper is pretty horrid in my opinion and I've seen no evidence of him being able to put the ball on the floor for more than say two dribbles. He runs the floor, he cuts hard, can roll and absorb contact, and can go 1-2 dribbles max and bang his way to the rim. He's pretty limited offensively I believe.

It's mediocre not horrid and solid for a big. 34% on threes and 64% from the line as an 18 year old. As for his overall offensive game I think you'd be surprised. He's hyped as like this Amare like guy but he's really more of a mature Blake Griffin with an expansive offensive game.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#47 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:02 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:Given that it appears that the pels may be resting most of their starters, I'd expect a fairly comfortable win.
Based on how the Bulls played against the Bucks second and third stringers - I no longer have that expectation.

Primarily I'm looking for better defense (which was pretty poor against the Bucks) and somewhat better offensive movement. Sadly - I'm still expecting a loss here. Show improvement. Guys are still getting used to one another and such...

We'll see.

Not starting Felicio will help our eventual win . I'm expecting a better overall performance tonight, especially if Wendell can play some minutes and with Gafford getting more minutes.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#48 » by madvillian » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:05 pm

SfBull wrote:
Fl_Flash wrote:Given that it appears that the pels may be resting most of their starters, I'd expect a fairly comfortable win.
Based on how the Bulls played against the Bucks second and third stringers - I no longer have that expectation.

Primarily I'm looking for better defense (which was pretty poor against the Bucks) and somewhat better offensive movement. Sadly - I'm still expecting a loss here. Show improvement. Guys are still getting used to one another and such...

We'll see.

Not starting Felicio will help our eventual win . I'm expecting a better overall performance tonight, especially if Wendell can play some minutes and with Gafford getting more minutes.

Carter JR is OUT officially for tonight. Also had an MRI, came back fine but still, not great he's having one and still out. Come on him and Hutch need to **** get on the court and get reps.

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#49 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:09 pm

Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#50 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:10 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
Read on Twitter

What's the reason for starting Felicio again?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Post#51 » by Chi town » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:13 pm

SfBull wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boylen is an idiot.

Kornet or Thaddeus or Gafford should be starting. Felicio is the GOAT tank commander.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#52 » by VolumePoster » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:15 pm

I love Zion. Can’t wait to watch tonight. This one is about to be painful though. Pelicans about to show us what a successful rebuild looks like...year one vs year three.

Hayes, Walker, Zion, lonzo, Ingram. Jeez.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#53 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:15 pm

IamSam wrote:Well... I guess the upside of WCJ being injured so early and Felicio getting any minutes at all is... MORE DANIEL GAFFORD!

:lol:

That's it. Gafford deserves more time and he should not only start but play 25-30 minutes.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#54 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:15 pm

Zion might have 10 violent dunks tonight...
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#55 » by VolumePoster » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:16 pm

Chi town wrote:
SfBull wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boylen is an idiot.

Kornet or Thaddeus or Gafford should be starting. Felicio is the GOAT tank commander.

I think they want to at least look at a plausible bench rotation.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#56 » by bad knees » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:17 pm

SfBull wrote:
IamSam wrote:Well... I guess the upside of WCJ being injured so early and Felicio getting any minutes at all is... MORE DANIEL GAFFORD!

:lol:

That's it. Gafford deserves more time and he should not only start but play 25-30 minutes.

Last game Gafford had 5 fouls in 18 minutes. I expect him to foul out by the 12 minute mark tonight.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#57 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:21 pm

madvillian wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:Lauri about to get exposed by Zion Williamson on National tv lol. Williamson has about a 40-50 pound weight advantage on Luari.

Zion looks tubby to me and with an official height of 6-6" there's legit concern on if he's long enough to impact the game defensively like he did in college.

Right now Zion is probably the most over-hyped player in the NBA. He's going to be an All-Star but the hype on him is similar to Lebron and that's not fair to the kid.

He played very well against the Hawks not only dunking at will but showing his pg skills.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#58 » by rtblues » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:21 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
rtblues wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Zion looks tubby to me and with an official height of 6-6" there's legit concern on if he's long enough to impact the game defensively like he did in college.

Right now Zion is probably the most over-hyped player in the NBA. He's going to be an All-Star but the hype on him is similar to Lebron and that's not fair to the kid.

He's got a shorter than average wingspan as well. And that jumper looks funky too. Defensively he was caught out of position several times. And he missed several easy ones.

The dunks and highlight reels look great of course, but if you go back to the tape, it's clear he has a ways to go to before the
comparisons to the best players ever come out. Someone on YouTube posted a video going through the low-lights from Zion's 1st game.

One thing I noticed that is a big plus for the guy is that he's a pretty good passer, and he can save
a play rather than force, a very good thing. The Pels are going to be missing some starters and rotation
players tonight, so Zion will likely get more touches than the 1st game.

I'd say start Thaddeus Young on Zion. It won't happen, but that's the match-up I'd like to see.
Thad is the best suited to guard him, IMO.

Do you have a link to that youtube video? I would be interested in watching. Thanks!

"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#59 » by SfBull » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:24 pm

Smirk wrote:I updated on the other page, but it looks like this was Fake News and Lonzo and others will be play, but very limited minutes.

I am really interested to see Zion v Lauri. I think Lauri is a highly skilled player that could eat a rookie like Zion's lunch on the offensive end. Zion had a bit of a rough start defensively in game 1 at times.

As for his weight, Zion is fine. He's lost a considerable amount since Summer League. His game conditioning clearly still needs some work but he's fine. Pretty chiseled up, actually.

Lonzo clearly worked on his shot during the summer.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#60 » by FriedRise » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:37 pm

C'mon Boylen. Start Gafford, play Kornet off the bench. No reason to play Felicio at all.

Return to Chicago Bulls