Image ImageImage Image

Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#41 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:58 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:So what? That is no excuse to kiss China's opressive government's ass. F em.

We are kissing a worse oppressive government's ass by the name of Saudi Arabia if I recall. The amount of **** going on in Saudi Arabia is pale in comparison to a country like China. That same government hired hitmen to mutilate an American journalist inside an embassy on foreign soil, but yet we are in bed with them. All of the hijackers of 911 were Saudis. Out there, there is gender discrimination, religious biasness, racism and you get beheaded for being gay. Women can't smoke, drink, drive, etc. We can't conveniently pick and choose where to impose our own version of democracy.

U.S. government might be missing their ass, but every corporation in the Western world has been kissing China's ass.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Re: Up to 5 NBA teams fear 2021 CAP drop of up to 10-15% due to fallout with China 

Post#42 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 am

Let’s also be somewhat realistic about players speaking out while in China. I surely wouldn’t speak out while in a foreign country against that country. Nit really a smart move in general and especially when you have no education in the topic and you are just there to work. There may be a place to make a comment but if I am a player over there I am not betting on the US starting WW3 over me being thrown in jail when my employer already gave a cease and desist notice. I don’t like Lebrons response either but honestly I don’t go to him for opinions on anything. I definitely don’t care about his geopolitical views. He was totally lame in his comments but also a little right that Morey should have known more about the subject before tweeting himself. Morey has already cost players endorsement co tracts on the fallout which sucks. The positive though is China looks really bad right now in the eyes of all and they likely didn’t want any of this limelight.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#43 » by dice » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 am

Michael Jackson wrote:Let’s also be somewhat realistic about players speaking out while in China. I surely wouldn’t speak out while in a foreign country against that country. Nit really a smart move in general and especially when you have no education in the topic and you are just there to work. There may be a place to make a comment but if I am a player over there I am not betting on the US starting WW3 over me being thrown in jail when my employer already gave a cease and desist notice. I don’t like Lebrons response either but honestly I don’t go to him for opinions on anything. I definitely don’t care about his geopolitical views. He was totally lame in his comments but also a little right that Morey should have known more about the subject before tweeting himself. Morey has already cost players endorsement co tracts on the fallout which sucks. The positive though is China looks really bad right now in the eyes of all and they likely didn’t want any of this limelight.

how the hell does anybody know how much morey knows about the subject? and how much does he really have to know? certain things are blatantly right and wrong

something tells me that lebron has not has not had a substantive discussion w/ morey on this
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#44 » by GetBuLLish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 am

The silver lining of this whole episode is that it has outed the NBA social justice warriors as the gigantic frauds that they are. What absolute phonies. Guys like Kerr, Popovich, and Lebron can't go two minutes without crapping on the president (their absolute right to do so) and anyone in America that disagrees with them, but when faced with confronting actual authoritarianism and the squelching of human rights by a foreign country, they tremble like little school girls.

We know the NBA won't dare anger their communist overlords. But if the NBA had any integrity right now, they would release a statement saying that this incident has exposed their "political advocacy" as nothing more than empty virtue signaling and that going forward, they will refrain from any political discussion inside the workplace. Of course, they won't do that though. In two weeks, Lebron will call Trump a fascist Nazi or something at a post-game press conference. Hopefully this time the media won't react by characterizing him as a modern day MLK Jr. But I won't hold my breath.
dice
RealGM

Post#45 » by dice » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 am

GetBuLLish wrote:The silver lining of this whole episode is that it has outed the NBA social justice warriors as the gigantic frauds that they are. What absolute phonies. Guys like Kerr, Popovich, and Lebron can't go two minutes without crapping on the president (their absolute right to do so) and anyone in America that disagrees with them, but when faced with confronting actual authoritarianism and the squelching of human rights by a foreign country, they tremble like little school girls.

We know the NBA won't dare anger their communist overlords. But if the NBA had any integrity right now, they would release a statement saying that this incident has exposed their "political advocacy" as nothing more than empty virtue signaling and that going forward, they will refrain from any political discussion inside the workplace. Of course, they won't do that though. In two weeks, Lebron will call Trump a fascist Nazi or something at a post-game press conference. Hopefully this time the media won't react by characterizing him as a modern day MLK Jr. But I won't hold my breath.

it's not phony to hold your tongue when your words can hurt the people around you. lebron james (rightfully) calling out the fraud in the white house and speaking out against injustice in america does not hurt the people around him. it only potentially hurts him personally endorsements-wise. that requires courage. it would require much MORE courage to do what kaepernick did or to step out on an island with daryl morey

and you're being a phony when you say hyperbolic stuff like "Hopefully this time the media won't react by characterizing him as a modern day MLK Jr."
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#46 » by GetBuLLish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 am

dice wrote:it's not phony to hold your tongue when your words can hurt the people around you. lebron james (rightfully) calling out the fraud in the white house and speaking out against injustice in america does not hurt the people around him. it only potentially hurts him personally endorsements-wise. that requires courage. it would require much MORE courage to do what kaepernick did or to step out on an island with daryl morey.

It requires literally zero courage for an NBA player to speak out against Trump. He may be 100% right (as you obviously think) but that doesn't mean it's courageous. Saying something that won't negatively impact you in any tangible way but will earn you nothing but praise within your circle is not courageous. Courageous would have been sticking up for the people oppressed by the Chinese government because that would have hurt Lebron's net worth.

and you're being a phony when you say hyperbolic stuff like "Hopefully this time the media won't react by characterizing him as a modern day MLK Jr."

I don't think you know what phony means. Obviously I was exaggerating a bit for effect, but the fawning from the national press over Lebron is not debatable. See, for example, this article calling Lebron a "political force for racial justice." https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17188444/lebron-james-donald-trump-michael-jordan-explained
dice
RealGM

Post#47 » by dice » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
dice wrote:it's not phony to hold your tongue when your words can hurt the people around you. lebron james (rightfully) calling out the fraud in the white house and speaking out against injustice in america does not hurt the people around him. it only potentially hurts him personally endorsements-wise. that requires courage. it would require much MORE courage to do what kaepernick did or to step out on an island with daryl morey.

It requires literally zero courage for an NBA player to speak out against Trump. He may be 100% right (as you obviously think) but that doesn't mean it's courageous. Saying something that won't negatively impact you in any tangible way but will earn you nothing but praise within your circle is not courageous. Courageous would have been sticking up for the people oppressed by the Chinese government because that would have hurt Lebron's net worth.

do you know who tiger woods is? surely you've heard of michael jordan. THOSE two have zero courage. if you don't think they've toed the corporate line by not speaking out on political issues, you've got some serious blinders on

"republicans buy shoes too"

I don't think you know what phony means

more hyperbole

Obviously I was exaggerating a bit for effect, but the fawning from the national press over Lebron is not debatable. See, for example, this article calling Lebron a "political force for racial justice." https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17188444/lebron-james-donald-trump-michael-jordan-explained

lebron IS a political force for racial justice. that doesn't mean future generations will be reading about it in history books

lebron is obviously NOT a political force for international human rights
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#48 » by JimmyJammer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm

I don't believe it is fair to expect nba players to speak out on world/global politics, especially when the majority of them are not informed enough on the subject. What's next? The Middle East? Cuba? There is enough **** going on right here and right now to be focusing on than having to worry about situations like this. In the past, LeBron has been outspoken about what he thinks is unfair in America, which he can relate to better. Institutionalized Racism in America has been real. Police brutality against minorities has also been real. Racial profiling has been real. If you happen to be black or Latino, you have pretty much seen it in action or have relatives or friends who have been victimized. It's a lot easier to form an opinion and take a stance on these subjects.

Return to Chicago Bulls