Image ImageImage Image

What does Lauri need to show for you to want to give him a MAX deal? - Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,548

Re: What does Lauri need to show for you to want to give him a MAX deal? 

Post#241 » by PaKii94 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 pm

FriedRise wrote:
In fact, as Markkanen fielded questions about a preseason that featured him playing more as a spot-up shooter than the dynamic, double-double machine that defined his February 2019, he shifted the focus to defense and rebounding.

Ho and hum, indeed.

“You’re trying to get me to say 22 (points) and 12 (rebounds) and 3 assists,” Markkanen said, smiling. “I don’t have those kinds of goals. I want to get our wins from 22 to whatever. And I want to get our home wins from nine to whatever. I’m not putting a number on those either. But I think guys are doing a good job of making unselfish plays and making the extra pass. We’re coming together as a team.”

In fact, Markkanen said, at least for now, his only individual goals are to “stay healthy and be consistent.” He reiterated his stance from media day that his goal is to play all 82 games after averaging 60 games his first two seasons.

“I wanted to focus on defense more this preseason and I was a little disappointed in myself in that regard early in preseason. But I watched a lot of film and I think I had my learning moments and I think I got better as preseason moved on,” Markkanen said. “I’ve talked to Coach. We both expect rebounding from me. I think we’re going to be really good offensively. It’s at a high level now, and we’re deeper. If we rebound and can limit their possessions, we have a chance to be really good.”

Don’t mistake Markkanen’s aversion to setting statistical goals for submissiveness. Early in the interview, he called his preseason “maybe not as great as I wanted to play” and acknowledged he needs to increase his free-throw attempts by getting to the rim more.

Of Markkanen’s 42 shots, 24 came from beyond the arc and he attempted just seven free throws in close to 91 preseason minutes. That average of 1.8 free-throw attempts in his four preseason games pales in comparison to the 3.8 he averaged last season.

“I haven’t got to the rim as much. I’m conscious of that. Those are easy points for us,” Markkanen said. “(Driving) is still available to me. But defenses are loading up on me more and trying not to let me get downhill. And we’re not in the post as much (offensively) as we used to be. We’re shooting a lot of 3s.”

Read on Twitter

Pretty much confirming that scoring wasn't the main focus for Lauri this preseason.

He also subconsciously confirmed what his targets are this season lol 22p/12r/3a. Those would be good numbers :)
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#242 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:He isn't going to get the 5yr 170 mil Ben and Murray got. That's because that's not how the Bull do business. They always tend to let the market dictate the price. Something they have done basically for every player other than Derrick Rose...and Felicio :lol: :banghead:

So we have this season and next to worry about this.

Bulls usually give everyone a "fair" offer, and then if the guy doesn't take it they allow the market to establish. For Derrick/Felicio, they took the "fair" offer. With Rose, it was obvious.

With Felicio, they were comparing the price to what was available the previous year instead of looking at the cap room / players available in that year. Felicio's contract relative to the previous year was fairly similar, but that was the worst value / money combination year ever due to the cap rise, and if they had held off Felicio would have gotten much less.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,424

Post#243 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:36 pm

You know what the best thing about this Lauri contract offer thing is? IT IS NIT IMMINENT. We have at the very least a full season to make that decision. I can really care less about how his preseason looked. At the AllStar break I might be worried though but until then nothing to fret over.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#244 » by sco » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 am

I have no idea whether Lauri will be better or worse this year, but I gotta give him (and Kingpin) credit. He is focused on the right things...winning, shooting 3's, driving the hole, playing defense, staying healthy!
:clap:
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#245 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:44 am

Michael Jackson wrote:You know what the best thing about this Lauri contract offer thing is? IT IS NIT IMMINENT. We have at the very least a full season to make that decision. I can really care less about how his preseason looked. At the AllStar break I might be worried though but until then nothing to fret over.

If you dont plan ahead, your not going to be a top team.
Managing your finance is extremely important in that it could be the difference getting 1 max player whether by trade or FA.
Can anyone imagine Lauri having a 25/10 yr? I dont think anyone does esp after Lavine became the number 1 option and he will get all the touches like Harden is getting. Lauri, much like RW, needs the ball in his hand to be effective.
Which is why OKC dynasty never happened even though talent wise, they had 3 MVPs bc they were all ball dominant.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#246 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 am

Showtime23 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:You know what the best thing about this Lauri contract offer thing is? IT IS NIT IMMINENT. We have at the very least a full season to make that decision. I can really care less about how his preseason looked. At the AllStar break I might be worried though but until then nothing to fret over.

Managing your finance is extremely important in that it could be the difference getting 1 max player whether by trade or FA.
Can anyone imagine Lauri having a 25/10 yr? I dont think anyone does esp after Lavine became the number 1 option and he will get all the touches like Harden is getting. Lauri, much like RW, needs the ball in his hand to be effective.
Which is why OKC dynasty never happened even though talent wise, they had 3 MVPs bc they were all ball dominant.

FWIW, Lauri Markkanen's free agency will not prevent the Bulls from signing or trading for a max free agent. The Bulls could sign a max player while retaining Markkanen's rights.

Heres' a list of players who averaged 25 points and 10 rebounds in their third season during the three-point era:

Shaquille O'Neal
Karl Malone
Joel Embiid

Expecting Lauri to accomplish this is not realistic. If he does, you're talking about a player who may end up becoming a Top 10 player in the league at some point. At that point, Markkanen would have the chance to make more than the 25% max before he hits restricted free agency. Thanks to the Rose Rule, he may be able to make 30% of the cap, which I'm sure you'd then have a problem with as well.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#247 » by sco » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

FWIW, Lauri Markkanen's free agency will not prevent the Bulls from signing or trading for a max free agent. The Bulls could sign a max player while retaining Markkanen's rights.

Heres' a list of players who averaged 25 points and 10 rebounds in their third season during the three-point era:

Shaquille O'Neal
Karl Malone
Joel Embiid

Expecting Lauri to accomplish this is not realistic. If he does, you're talking about a player who may end up becoming a Top 10 player in the league at some point. At that point, Markkanen would have the chance to make more than the 25% max before he hits restricted free agency. Thanks to the Rose Rule, he may be able to make 30% of the cap, which I'm sure you'd then have a problem with as well.

I think Lauri will have a tough time getting 10 rebounds per game without RoLo gifting rebounds like last year. Also, I think WCJ will get a bunch and Sato will get a fair number too, but I don't really care if Lauri get 10rb's or 7.
:clap:
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#248 » by kodo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Lauri focusing on defense instead of offense is the best thing I've heard. If his points drop but he trends upward on defense, he's increased his value a ton as a PF/C.

If he's a great shooter but mediocre on defense, might as well play a SF at his spot instead. A 6' 8" 6' 9" SF who can shoot 3s will defend the perimeter better and create more off the dribble.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Should Bulls trade Lauri Markkanen before summer 2021. 

Post#249 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:46 am

TheFinishSniper wrote:Lauri Markkanen this preseason

22.7M, 11.2 PPG, 8.2 reb, 2 ast with numbers like this 38% FG, 33% 3PT% at 6 per game

Before Hawks game, he gone in first two games ZERO, ABSOLUTE ZERO time on FT line. Which continues that he isnt agressive and he stands on perimeter. As a passive lazy cat.

Sorry guys this is a problem. Trade him. If he is not signing for 15M per year, trade him this moment. Preseason for some of you maybe doesnt matter, for me does. Specially this year. And it should for Lauri, giving he is entering key 3rd year where MOST of players make huge improvements in game.

No, it's really not a problem. It's freaking preseason. Who gives a flying fook about it? Most of the players don't. Most of them are trying to not get hurt. Defenses, for the most part are not aggressive so if a guy doesn't get to the line, it's not a big deal or a "problem". Let's just see how the real season goes... you know, the one that actually counts for anything.

Judging anything in the preseason is the only problem I see at this point.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#250 » by keloms » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:33 am

sco wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/raptors-pascal-siakam-reportedly-agree-183904944.html

4/$129...there's your comp. Icky!

No chance.

At this point, he needs to go if it's anything above $15m to $18. Doesn't deserve it and would be an anchor holding them back until it was off the books.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#251 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:39 am

I can't judge preseason. Okc judged harden from a poor preseason, then sent a mvp caliber player to Houston and maxed out Serge ibaka. Yea that didnt work out at all.

Of course lauri chances of ever being great as james harden is slim to none but I'm judging harder when the games actually count. I give him this season unless he is really underwhelming and a star player seems on the move around the trade deadline. We have the players to make up for a lauri deal with young kornet gafford and Carter jr still on the roster. A few teams are sure to disappoint and call it quits and prepare for the lottery. A get us over the hump kind of trade, similar to trading andres nocioni and drew Gooden to the kings for Brad Miller and john salmons. A move that helped carry us into the playoffs and a great showing vs the celtics.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,373

Post#252 » by The Box Office » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:02 am

keloms wrote:
sco wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/raptors-pascal-siakam-reportedly-agree-183904944.html

No chance.

At this point, he needs to go if it's anything above $15m to $18. Doesn't deserve it and would be an anchor to holding them back until it was off the books.

Yes. Agreed.

This is Markkanen's "Make or Break" season for me since it is his 3rd season. If Lauri can't prove that he can stay healthy and perform better than his first 2 years then he's gone. I want him out of here ASAP.

Pascal Siakam is definitely worth that money because he's a defensive stud who can make shots. He has playoff experience and Finals WINNING experience. Siakam stepped up his game in the playoffs. Lauri only knows losing.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#253 » by GrowingHorns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:34 am

The man was one of our best clutch players his first two seasosns. He obviously has lot to prove still, but the time for assesments regarding this is too early.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#254 » by keloms » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:43 am

GrowingHorns wrote:The man was one of our best clutch players his first two seasosns. He obviously has lot to prove still, but the time for assesments regarding this is too early.

Being the "best" player on the 4-7th worst team in the league isn't an accomplishment.
Robin Jones
Freshman
And1: 101

Post#255 » by Robin Jones » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:32 pm

This thread - the first comment and many of the following ones are just hilarious. Of course there are many reasonable ones too, but I just cannot understand this whole discussion NOW before the 2019-20 season has even started and IN THE BULLS FAN FORUM. Huh!

Lauri has played two seasons, with some health issues, which should not be serious in the long term. Still, he has contributed well, being arguably the best player of the team. His stats have been better than expected, in both year 1 and 2. He has improved. His February was scary good.

In this preseason his 36 min per game stats have been relatively good. One game with 4 points (but 11 rebounds) and this one writer uses this point score as a basis of his argument that Markkanen is one of the worst scorers in the team. Hell yeah!

Preseason is to test new schemes (e.g. ball movement), new players, and the key players play less than normally. Its a preseason!

I somehow got the feeling that this same writer now feels that Zach is the man. Yes, Zach is good and I hope he and Lauri will form the basis of the Bulls for years to come and achive success together. However, if you compare year 1 Lauri to year 1 Zach, or year 2 Lauri to year 2 Zach, Zach has no chance in the comparison.

There have been numerous discussions in which Lauri's year 1 and year 2 stats were compared to Dirk. Lauri's are better.

Of course this does not mean that Lauri will be as good as Dirk, or that he will continue to develop as well as Zach from year 1 and 2 to current year 6. But there is no reason either to argue that Lauri will not have a chance to similar type of development or even better.

Satoransky is the best PG that Lauri has played with so far. I am sure this will help Lauri's development further. (Although I am still a bit sad that Bulls let RoLo go, as he was also helping Lauri a lot, with screens, passes, and with rebounds too.)

The question of this topic should be asked AFTER this season, not before it.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,424

Post#256 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Robin Jones wrote:This thread - the first comment and many of the following ones are just hilarious. Of course there are many reasonable ones too, but I just cannot understand this whole discussion NOW before the 2019-20 season has even started and IN THE BULLS FAN FORUM. Huh!

Lauri has played two seasons, with some health issues, which should not be serious in the long term. Still, he has contributed well, being arguably the best player of the team. His stats have been better than expected, in both year 1 and 2. He has improved. His February was scary good.

In this preseason his 36 min per game stats have been relatively good. One game with 4 points (but 11 rebounds) and this one writer uses this point score as a basis of his argument that Markkanen is one of the worst scorers in the team. Hell yeah!

Preseason is to test new schemes (e.g. ball movement), new players, and the key players play less than normally. Its a preseason!

I somehow got the feeling that this same writer now feels that Zach is the man. Yes, Zach is good and I hope he and Lauri will form the basis of the Bulls for years to come and achive success together. However, if you compare year 1 Lauri to year 1 Zach, or year 2 Lauri to year 2 Zach, Zach has no chance in the comparison.

There have been numerous discussions in which Lauri's year 1 and year 2 stats were compared to Dirk. Lauri's are better.

Of course this does not mean that Lauri will be as good as Dirk, or that he will continue to develop as well as Zach from year 1 and 2 to current year 6. But there is no reason either to argue that Lauri will not have a chance to similar type of development or even better.

Satoransky is the best PG that Lauri has played with so far. I am sure this will help Lauri's development further. (Although I am still a bit sad that Bulls let RoLo go, as he was also helping Lauri a lot, with screens, passes, and with rebounds too.)

This is based on too much logic. We do not like logic here. Only emotional gut reactions.
Robin Jones
Freshman

Post#257 » by Robin Jones » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm

The Box Office wrote:
keloms wrote:

No chance.

At this point, he needs to go if it's anything above $15m to $18. Doesn't deserve it and would be an anchor to holding them back until it was off the books.

Yes. Agreed.

This is Markkanen's "Make or Break" season for me since it is his 3rd season. If Lauri can't prove that he can stay healthy and perform better than his first 2 years then he's gone. I want him out of here ASAP.

Pascal Siakam is definitely worth that money because he's a defensive stud who can make shots. He has playoff experience and Finals WINNING experience. Siakam stepped up his game in the playoffs. Lauri only knows losing.

For sure Siakam was better than Lauri last season, but if we are evaluating potential, we should broaden our view.

Siakam's year 2 stats: 7.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 2.0 AP, 0.8 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 0.220 3P%, 0.537 eFG%, 0.621 FT%.

A reminder to all Chicago FANS: Lauri's year 2 stats: 18.7 PPG, 9.0 RPG, 1.4 AP, 0.7 SPG, 0.6 BPG, 0.361 3P%, 0.506 eFG%, 0.872 FT%.

I do know that Siakam did not start to play basketball until he was 16. On the other hand, Siakam was 23 years old in his second NBA-year, while Lauri was 21! Siakam is the better defensive player, but Lauri's potential as a scorer and all around offensive players is much better.

We could even argue that even year 2 Lauri could have a ring had he played in the starting five with Leonard, Gasol, Lowry and Green, with Ibaka, VanFleet & co as bench players.

PS. The greatest thing in the last scenario would have been to hear the commentators explaining how Lauri, after a reboune, throws a pass to Lowry, and then Lowry, after dribbling the ball up the court, passes the ball back to Lauri for a three.:)
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#258 » by Indomitable » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 am

Robin Jones wrote:This thread - the first comment and many of the following ones are just hilarious. Of course there are many reasonable ones too, but I just cannot understand this whole discussion NOW before the 2019-20 season has even started and IN THE BULLS FAN FORUM. Huh!

Satoransky is the best PG that Lauri has played with so far. I am sure this will help Lauri's development further. (Although I am still a bit sad that Bulls let RoLo go, as he was also helping Lauri a lot, with screens, passes, and with rebounds f or.)

Some people are more interested in being right than being fans.
:banghead:
Robin Jones
Freshman

Post#259 » by Robin Jones » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 am

Indomitable wrote:

Satoransky is the best PG that Lauri has played with so far. I am sure this will help Lauri's development further. (Although I am still a bit sad that Bulls let RoLo go, as he was also helping Lauri a lot, with screens, passes, and with rebounds f or.)

Sure.

And some people think they are right, although with flawed arguments not supported by facts, nor they seem to be fans either.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#260 » by Indomitable » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:37 am

Indomitable wrote:

We still have some Butler refugees
:banghead:

Return to Chicago Bulls