Image ImageImage Image

What does Lauri need to show for you to want to give him a MAX deal? - Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Re: What does Lauri need to show for you to want to give him a MAX deal? 

Post#101 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Hold That wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:You don't wanna see Lauri on another team winning like the Warriors or winning with a playmaking guard.

It’s true. If Lauri was a 3rd option with Curry, Trae, Luka, Kawhi or Lebron sending him looks... he’d average 20 very efficient ppg and easily make all-star games. Just like 1-D Korver did at some point in his career, and surely Lauri has more going for him.

People over-think these things. Lauri doesn’t have to become Dirk or “develop play-making ability.” He needs to become very confident and great at what he does well: shoot. He can do better than 2.3/6.7 from 3P, and his mid-range numbers can definitely improve. I don’t need him to develop becoming a good switch defender and try to bring the ball up. Let that come naturally with experience and confidence.

Who’s giving him the easy looks besides Arci?

I agree. We don’t have a gifted passer on this team to bring everything together. We desperately need one and it doesn’t matter what position it comes from. Similar to how Jokic brings everything together with his passing or Draymond did from the PF position.With Lavine wanting to show he’s all star worthy this year and taking another step, Wendell coming out and saying he wants to be more offensively aggressive in scoring, and we just drafted White another score first guard. I don’t think Lauri has the opportunity to develop into a Dirk like scorer if wanted too unless he becomes more selfish which isn’t him. The team current make up is more suited for him to develop his niche as a third option more so than it is for him to become the primary scorer like Dirk.

Great points, all of you!

Bruiser ball, like Giannis, LBJ, Zion, et al, doesn't fit Lauri's style. Honestly, I think those guys would choose to shoot 3's if they could. What separates them from Lauri, IMO is their elite defense. Lauri, taking 8-10 3's a game on 38% and playing average NBA defense, would be good enough for me.
:clap:
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#102 » by LateNight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:17 pm

sco wrote:Bruiser ball, like Giannis, LBJ, Zion, et al, doesn't fit Lauri's style. Honestly, I think those guys would choose to shoot 3's if they could. What separates them from Lauri, IMO is their elite defense. Lauri, taking 8-10 3's a game on 38% and playing average NBA defense, would be good enough for me.

I wasn’t saying he should focus entirely on bully ball, but if he doesn’t develop a stronger inside game, I don’t see how he’s worth a max. Unless he can also dramatically increase his defense.

Otherwise he just seems like a rich man’s Luke Kornet. and thats a good player, but not a max player. Max player needs to be able to close out a game, and I don’t see how Lauri can do that unless he can finish over people more consistently inside
LateNight
Starter

Post#103 » by LateNight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 pm

I actually really liked how he played in international games where he went 1-on-1 more and utilized that Post fade. He doesn’t necessarily have to bang to play the post better
sco
RealGM

Post#104 » by sco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 pm

LateNight wrote:
sco wrote:Bruiser ball, like Giannis, LBJ, Zion, et al, doesn't fit Lauri's style. Honestly, I think those guys would choose to shoot 3's if they could. What separates them from Lauri, IMO is their elite defense. Lauri, taking 8-10 3's a game on 38% and playing average NBA defense, would be good enough for me.

I wasn’t saying he should focus entirely on bully ball, but if he doesn’t develop a stronger inside game, I don’t see how he’s worth a max. Unless he can also dramatically increase his defense.

Otherwise he just seems like a rich man’s Luke Kornet. and thats a old player, but not a max player. Max player needs to be able to close out a game, and I don’t see how Lauri can do that unless he can finish over people more consistently inside

I hear you, and it's a hard debate for me too. I think it somewhat depends on on our needs and performance this year.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#105 » by 2018C3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:09 am

Lauri is not a max player, He would need to drastically improve to get one from the Bulls.

Smart teams give max deals only to players who give you the best chance to win. Bulls cant afford to pay on potential, and to get a max deal from the Bulls he will need to show he can be a top player before it is handed out.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#106 » by 2018C3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:18 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:The max is for allstars and all nba players.
Julius randle got 22 mil.
He averages 5 ppg more than siakam at the same position So in an offensive league i feel that is what his market is.
Right now lauri is on the trajectory of a lesser drive PF zach lavine which is the ballpark of what randle got. If lauri becomes an allstar the max narrative will come along right with it.

Ideally, teams only pay the max for all-stars and All-NBA players. Unfortunately, the NBA usually is not ideal. The Denver Nuggets signed Jamaal Murray to a 5 year, $170 million contract extension (max). Murray is good, but he's not an all-star or currently a max player. He could be one day, but the Nuggets are betting a lot that he will. Devin Booker also got the max.

Markkanen will be 24 years old when he hits restricted free agency. Some team is going to give him a large, possibly max offer. The Bulls approach is simple: Bet on Markkanen getting better, or bet that he won't on another team.

If you let Markkanen go, how do you replace him? Keep in mind the Bulls drafted him at 7 in what was viewed as a very top heavy class, so you're not necessarily going to be in position to easily acquire another player like him unless you tank again. I agree with coldfish; if the Bulls continue to suck, then signing Markkanen to the max isn't smart. However, if this team is competitive and on the upswing, there's no way you can afford to let Markkanen go and you may have to give him a max deal.

How can you re-place him? The same way another team stole him. Once a contract is up, money could be given to any number of players. If he deserves the max, give him the max. If he does not, you have to let him leave.

Basketball is a team gane where individual players have one of the largest inpacts. If you do not have a top 3-5 player your roster chances are you will not go all the way.

Teams have to be very carefull with max max contracts if the goal is to be the best.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#107 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:37 pm

2018C3 wrote:How can you re-place him? The same way another team stole him. Once a contract is up, money could be given to any number of players. If he deserves the max, give him the max. If he does not, you have to let him leave.

Basketball is a team gane where individual players have one of the largest inpacts. If you do not have a top 3-5 player your roster chances are you will not go all the way.

Teams have to be very carefull with max max contracts if the goal is to be the best.

Not paying Markkanen the max doesn't increase the likelihood that you'll give the max to a more deserving player. It also doesn't increase the likelihood that the contracts you do give out will produce a better team. Example: The Charlotte Hornets are not in a better place because they didn't give Kemba Walker his max.

GMs have to hedge their bets on how players will develop. Markkanen may not be worth the max today, but he absolutely could be worth the max a year, or two years from now. As a 21-year-old he averaged 21p/11r Per 36. He'll be 24 years old when he hits restricted free agency and big men are notoriously slower to develop than guards.

I just don't see how anyone can have a firm stance on him not developing any further before he starts his 3rd season when he's already overachieved beyond initial expectations.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#108 » by Jiipee84 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
2018C3 wrote:How can you re-place him? The same way another team stole him. Once a contract is up, money could be given to any number of players. If he deserves the max, give him the max. If he does not, you have to let him leave.

Not paying Markkanen the max doesn't increase the likelihood that you'll give the max to a more deserving player. It also doesn't increase the likelihood that the contracts you do give out will produce a better team. Example: The Charlotte Hornets are not in a better place because they didn't give Kemba Walker his max.

GMs have to hedge their bets on how players will develop. Markkanen may not be worth the max today, but he absolutely could be worth the max a year, or two years from now. As a 21-year-old he averaged 21p/11r Per 36. He'll be 24 years old when he hits restricted free agency and big men are notoriously slower to develop than guards.

I just don't see how anyone can have a firm stance on him not developing any further before he starts his 3rd season when he's already overachieved beyond initial expectations.

As a Finn i understand that American Bulls fans wants Lauri proves himself to be worth of max rookie extension.
But have you and other Bulls fans forgotten that it's not only up of Lauri will he get max rookie extension or not.

Bulls have to also convince Lauri to resign and show him that Bulls can be future NBA championship contender.
But first Bulls have to start winning and make to playoffs Lauri has already said that he's tired of losing.
And i'm sure Lauri is not staying to Bulls after season 2020-2021 if Bulls continues losing.

Keep in mind that Lauri has a family so he can't just think that what's best for him and his NBA career.
Because he needs to think that what's best for his family.
And in Finnish culture it's usually a father who takes care of his wife and kids.
sco
RealGM

Post#109 » by sco » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

As a Finn i understand that American Bulls fans wants Lauri proves himself to be worth of max rookie extension.
But have you and other Bulls fans forgotten that it's not only up of Lauri will he get max rookie extension or not.

Bulls have to also convince Lauri to resign and show him that Bulls can be future NBA championship contender.
But first Bulls have to start winning and make to playoffs Lauri has already said that he's tired of losing.
And i'm sure Lauri is not staying to Bulls after season 2020-2021 if Bulls continues losing.

Keep in mind that Lauri has a family so he can't just think that what's best for him and his NBA career.
And in Finnish culture it's usually a father who takes care of his wife and kids.

As a Finn, I get that you have a different cultural filter, but Lauri has been treated very well by the Bulls, and they are in a position to pay him more than anyone else - IF THEY WANT TO. If they do, he's not leaving. I could see it if there was this simmering negative undercurrent, but there isn't.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#110 » by Jiipee84 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 am

sco wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

As a Finn, I get that you have a different cultural filter, but Lauri has been treated very well by the Bulls, and they are in a position to pay him more than anyone else - IF THEY WANT TO. If they do, he's not leaving. I could see it if there was this simmering negative undercurrent, but there isn't.

I'm not said that Bulls isn't treated Lauri well.
But it is true Lauri is tired of losing he said that in one of his interviews this past summer in Finnish media.

I get that Bulls are in position to pay for Lauri big moneys when time is right.
I'm not fortune-teller so i can't know what Lauri and his agent will ask when they start talk Lauri's rookie extension.

But i don't have any trust on GarPax and so long when those two morons are in charge everything is possible.
Yes Lauri's game performances will be one factor what-kind rookie extension he'll get but so is Bulls team success.

I don't see Lauri wasting his first prime years in losing Bulls team.
Bulls have to make playoffs if not this season then next season.

If Lauri has allstar worth back to back career seasons 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 his value as a player will rise very high.
And if he really slips RFA free-agency there are immediately 29 other NBA teams ready to make offer-sheet for him.

Yes it's very likely even now Lauri is not leaving anywhere before he's UFA.
But what then if Bulls can't make to playoffs before summer 2021 what signal that will give for Lauri.
Think about that.
LateNight
Starter

Post#111 » by LateNight » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:42 am

The Lauri homers are intense
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#112 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 am

LateNight wrote:The Lauri homers are intense

Do you have anything more to add than that?
Why so serious?
LateNight
Starter

Post#113 » by LateNight » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:18 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
LateNight wrote:The Lauri homers are intense

Do you have anything more to add than that?

Not really, but the fact that his fans are threatening to have Lauri walk if we don’t build around him seems premature to say the least.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#114 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:21 am

Jiipee84 wrote:
sco wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:

But it is true Lauri is tired of losing he said that in one of his interviews this past summer in Finnish media.

I get that Bulls are in position to pay for Lauri big moneys when time is right.
I'm not fortune-teller so i can't know what Lauri and his agent will ask when they start talk Lauri's rookie extension.

But i don't have any trust on GarPax and so long when those two morons are in charge everything is possible.
Yes Lauri's game performances will be one factor what-kind rookie extension he'll get but so is Bulls team success.

If Lauri has allstar worth back to back career seasons 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 his value as a player will rise very high.
And if he really slips RFA free-agency there are immediately 29 other NBA teams ready to make offer-sheet for him.

But what then if Bulls can't make to playoffs before summer 2021 what signal that will give for Lauri.
Think about that.

If the Bulls want to keep Lauri and are willing to pay him the max, there is a 99.999% chance he'll be with the Bulls. He will be a restricted free agent and no player would pass on something like 150 million dollars or whatever to risk everything to play on the qualifying offer for a year. Pretty sure no player has ever or will ever do that.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#115 » by kingkirk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 am

I need to see a lot more. That said, you can say that for virtually all players who get maxed after a rookie deal. That doesn't make me feel better about it, but he has ways to go before he should be making $25m plus a year.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#116 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:08 am

Mark K wrote:I need to see a lot more. That said, you can say that for virtually all players who get maxed after a rookie deal. That doesn't make me feel better about it, but he has ways to go before he should be making $25m plus a year.

If he remains on par with how he produced last season, no team is going to offer him the max. I'd say something along the lines of what we ultimately signed Zach is the range we'd be looking at, give or take. And at that amount, he would be worth it, and you gamble on the fact that he would outplay that contract just as Zach has.

No one bonafide stars recieved a max contract on their first extension beyond their rookie scale deal, and on the flipside, there have been several player who did receive the max, but failed to live up to the deal.
Why so serious?
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Post#117 » by ShadyMoney » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:06 am

I have to ask a couple questions.

Is Lauri better or just as good as Luka?

Is Lauri better or just as good as KP?

Is Lauri better or just as good as the Joker?

If all the answers are no, then he shouldn’t be getting a max.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#118 » by kingkirk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 am

kulaz3000 wrote:If he remains on par with how he produced last season, no team is going to offer him the max. I'd say something along the lines of what we ultimately signed Zach is the range we'd be looking at, give or take. And at that amount, he would be worth it, and you gamble on the fact that he would outplay that contract just as Zach has.

No one bonafide stars recieved a max contract on their first extension beyond their rookie scale deal, and on the flipside, there have been several player who did receive the max, but failed to live up to the deal.

A lot of team’s are planning for 2021. Lauri is a free agent then. If you let him hit RFA, he will get maxed, just as Porter did and so many others.

Lauri is getting paid. That worries me if he doesn’t take a step this season.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#119 » by drosereturn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 am

Mark K wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:If he remains on par with how he produced last season, no team is going to offer him the max. I'd say something along the lines of what we ultimately signed Zach is the range we'd be looking at, give or take. And at that amount, he would be worth it, and you gamble on the fact that he would outplay that contract just as Zach has.

A lot of team’s are planning for 2021. Lauri is a free agent then. If you let him hit RFA, he will get maxed, just as Porter did and so many others.

Lauri is getting paid. That worries me if he doesn’t take a step this season.

Guys like Porter and Lauri are a big problem. They are not max players but will soon get paid a lot and I can see some team team throwing the max to Lauri. (Like Kings did to ACL Lavine) FO cannot just maintain the status quo and maybe prepare contract negotiation in the upcoming yrs.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#120 » by Jiipee84 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 am

League Circles wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:
sco wrote:As a Finn, I get that you have a different cultural filter, but Lauri has been treated very well by the Bulls, and they are in a position to pay him more than anyone else - IF THEY WANT TO. If they do, he's not leaving. I could see it if there was this simmering negative undercurrent, but there isn't.

Think about that.

If the Bulls want to keep Lauri and are willing to pay him the max, there is a 99.999% chance he'll be with the Bulls. He will be a restricted free agent and no player would pass on something like 150 million dollars or whatever to risk everything to play on the qualifying offer for a year. Pretty sure no player has ever or will ever do that.

Yes it would be very foolish to pass 150 million USD.
And as i said it truly is very likely Lauri is not leaving from Chicago before he's UFA.

But there are so many moving pieces which makes predicting the future very difficult
Everyone probably knows that the key for Lauri's success as a high scoring PF is good or very playmaking PG.
Signing Satoransky and drafting Coby White looks good and smart moves for now but how those will work in regular season.

Other factor is that if Bulls has any plans to go after Anthony Davis it'll affect to Lauri's situation very much.
Davis is PF but he can play center also and i'm sure he doesn't have any interest to come to Bulls if his role is Lauri's back-up.

Davis requires starters position and max contract and without those he won't even consider Chicago.
If Davis comes to Bulls at some point near future at least two guys of Lauri,Carter,Young, Gafford and Felicio will be out.

And what then if the chemistry between Satoransky and Lauri just not work and other NBA teams starts recruiting Lauri.
Yes that's not probably likely at all but nobody of us ( Bulls fans ) can't know what's going to happen in the future.

But one thing is certain and it's that situations can change any moment.
NBA is still hard sport business and nothing is not set in stone.

Return to Chicago Bulls