Image ImageImage Image

NBA: 5 rookies that have stood out during the first week of preseason

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

NBA: 5 rookies that have stood out during the first week of preseason 

Post#1 » by NWIBullsFan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:47 pm

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/10/13/nba-rookie-standouts-preseason-zion/4/

The fast-paced combo guard out of North Carolina was selected seventh overall by the Chicago Bulls. Coby White has exceedingly surpassed previous expectations throughout his first week in the preseason.

Only one top 20 picks is averaging more points than Coby White In the preseason and that is the No. 1 overall pick, Zion Williamson (more on him later).

Coming into this season, White will play in a reserve role for Chicago, in hopes that he provides instant offense off the bench with his flashy, quick play.

White is progressing at an extremely fast rate and will look to further his succes in the regular season. The sky is the limit for young Coby.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,740

Re: NBA: 5 rookies that have stood out during the first week of preseason 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 pm

This draft class looked awful going in outside of Zion, and the fact that Coby White is one of the more impressive rookies through preseason doesn't do much to dispel that thought given his performance looks really up and down to me so far.

That said, reading the article, his commentary seemed reasonably shallow, so I wouldn't be surprised if this list is also poor.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#3 » by NWIBullsFan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:21 pm

dougthonus wrote:This draft class looked awful going in outside of Zion, and the fact that Coby White is one of the more impressive rookies through preseason doesn't do much to dispel that thought given his performance looks really up and down to me so far.

That said, reading the article, his commentary seemed reasonably shallow, so I wouldn't be surprised if this list is also poor.

Agreed, I don't think any real sportswriters have to worry about this dude taking their jobs.

Zion
Porter Jr
Jordan Poole
Coby
RJ

Was how they were ranked... not that you can really tell anything from 2 or 3 preseason games.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,740

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 pm

NWIBullsFan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:This draft class looked awful going in outside of Zion, and the fact that Coby White is one of the more impressive rookies through preseason doesn't do much to dispel that thought given his performance looks really up and down to me so far.

Agreed, I don't think any real sportswriters have to worry about this dude taking their jobs.

Zion
Porter Jr
Jordan Poole
Coby
RJ

Was how they were ranked... not that you can really tell anything from 2 or 3 preseason games.

Not sure if he was ranking them, but if so, the order in his article was:
5: MPJ
4: Poole
3: Coby
2: RJ
1: Zion
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#5 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:24 pm

I'm happy to see MPJ playing well.. = )
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#6 » by nomorezorro » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:55 pm

coby looks way closer to a reasonable rotation player than i expected. obviously still makes some 19-year-old mistakes, and he projects as an imperfect PG prospect going forward, but i’m pretty pleased with his game thus far
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#7 » by Hugi Mancura » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm

nomorezorro wrote:coby looks way closer to a reasonable rotation player than i expected. obviously still makes some 19-year-old mistakes, and he projects as an imperfect PG prospect going forward, but i’m pretty pleased with his game thus far

True. Just surround him with 4 defensive minded players and he can make all the mistakes he wants on the offense and team won't lose that much during that time when starters sit.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#8 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:11 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:I'm happy to see MPJ playing well.. = )

I know you wanted him or bamba for the draft
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#9 » by RSP83 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:32 pm

I've never seen anything like Zion. He bullies everybody, and nobody can do anything about it. And he's still 19 years old with a lot of room for improvement on various part of his game... and he's already dropping 20 every night like it's nothing...
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#10 » by MeloRoseNoah » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:16 am

Coby looks light years ahead of Kris Done as a 19 year old rookie. Imagine a full NBA offseason that will improve his ball handling by 10-15%, his athletic ability by 10%, and a more consistent shot. He may end up being the second best player out of this draft. There's one thing that you can't teach about Coby White. The kid goes at 110% like a Joakim Noah at guard, and is aggressive on both defense and offense. He will make plenty of mistakes but he will have the opportunity to correct them in due time.

Just give the kid some time.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,790

Post#11 » by beeshma » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 am

This list is way too premature. Watch the Ja Morant highlights and tell me he doesn't belong on the list...

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#12 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:Coby looks light years ahead of Kris Done as a 19 year old rookie. Imagine a full NBA offseason that will improve his ball handling by 10-15%, his athletic ability by 10%, and a more consistent shot. He may end up being the second best player out of this draft. There's one thing that you can't teach about Coby White. The kid goes at 110% like a Joakim Noah at guard, and is aggressive on both defense and offense. He will make plenty of mistakes but he will have the opportunity to correct them in due time.

Just give the kid some time.

Tyler hero
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,365

Post#13 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:48 am

beeshma wrote:This list is way too premature. Watch the Ja Morant highlights and tell me he doesn't belong on the list...

Yeah I saw a little of that game. That being said he didn’t stand out the first week and that was the article. I don’t think there is much doubt Morant has talent, if not formzion he would have been the consensus first pick in this draft. He was hyped at Murray state and his triple double in the tournament cemented his draft status. Pre lottery I had dreams of landing him.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#14 » by erlim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:57 am

RSP83 wrote:I've never seen anything like Zion. He bullies everybody, and nobody can do anything about it. And he's still 19 years old with a lot of room for improvement on various part of his game... and he's already dropping 20 every night like it's nothing...

He’s like a 300 lb. prime Dominique Wilkins without any compromise in athleticism or mobility—-just added power. Maybe it won’t be the case when Wendell Carter Jr gets back, but so far, he has made everybody on the 2019-2020 Chicago Bulls roster that was guarding him look like sad jokes.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 pm

erlim wrote:
RSP83 wrote:I've never seen anything like Zion. He bullies everybody, and nobody can do anything about it. And he's still 19 years old with a lot of room for improvement on various part of his game... and he's already dropping 20 every night like it's nothing...

He’s like a 300 lb. prime Dominique Wilkins without any compromise in athleticism or mobility—-just added power. Maybe it won’t be the case when Wendell Carter Jr gets back, but so far, he has made everybody on the 2019-2020 Chicago Bulls roster that was guarding him look like sad jokes.

It is saying something when you need a fully engaged LeBron to be the guy who could “slow” him down. As said right now the best way to defend him is to tire him out on playing defense. This dude hasn’t even played an NBA game yet and we are saying this.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#16 » by PlayerUp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:This draft class looked awful going in outside of Zion

Actually the draft is looking above average. You said it was awful. It's not awful simply on the basis that a generational prospect was in this draft class. Comparing to other drafts, it looks like it could be better than the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 drafts. Weaker in depth than 2017 and 2018.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
dougthonus wrote:This draft class looked awful going in outside of Zion

Actually the draft is looking above average. You said it was awful. It's not awful simply on the basis that a generational prospect was in this draft class. Comparing to other drafts, it looks like it could be better than the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 drafts. Weaker in depth than 2017 and 2018.

If Zion and Ja both live up to full potential and guys like Herro, White, Garland do too not a bad draft. If Jaxson Hayes turns into A chandler type etc....
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#18 » by coldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I don't get the Coby stuff. The kid looks good for a 19 year old to me. He tries on defense. He is aggressive on offense. He is willing to pass the ball. His shot selection needs work but I don't see him forcing shots like a greedy chucker. He is just not familiar with the reads.

If you just close your mind to the stuff you believed about Coby before he came in and watch him with the recurring thought "this is a 19 year old with less than 5 games professional experience" it looks pretty good.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#19 » by PlayerUp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm

coldfish wrote:I don't get the Coby stuff. The kid looks good for a 19 year old to me. He tries on defense. He is aggressive on offense. He is willing to pass the ball. His shot selection needs work but I don't see him forcing shots like a greedy chucker. He is just not familiar with the reads.

If you just close your mind to the stuff you believed about Coby before he came in and watch him with the recurring thought "this is a 19 year old with less than 5 games professional experience" it looks pretty good.

Won't be 20 for 5 more months as well. Young for his class.

Zion is well ahead of everyone else but for Coby it's not what he is now but what he can develop into later. If we start seeing gradual improvements as the season progresses, good sign Coby could be a solid prospect.

For now, without a doubt he is far better than we expected.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#20 » by coldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
coldfish wrote:I don't get the Coby stuff. The kid looks good for a 19 year old to me. He tries on defense. He is aggressive on offense. He is willing to pass the ball. His shot selection needs work but I don't see him forcing shots like a greedy chucker. He is just not familiar with the reads.

Won't be 20 for 5 more months as well. Young for his class.

Zion is well ahead of everyone else but for Coby it's not what he is now but what he can develop into later. If we start seeing gradual improvements as the season progresses, good sign Coby could be a solid prospect.

For now, without a doubt he is far better than we expected.

The thing with Coby is that you don't have to imagine him with some set of skills that he doesn't actually have. You don't have to teach him to hustle or dribble or shoot or drive or play defense. He does all of that now. This isn't a Kris Dunn situation where he has to learn how to shoot. His biggest issue is just picking his spots better. Its little decisions that have to get better to make him effective.

IMO, his ceiling is limited. He isn't going to be a top 10 player and that's OK. I see virtually no chance of him busting at this point and there is a very good chance of him being an above average player.

Return to Chicago Bulls