Image ImageImage Image

Hawks @ Bulls: Preseason Game #5

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HWH-OC
Ballboy
And1: 12

Re: Hawks @ Bulls: Preseason Game #5 

Post#601 » by HWH-OC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Chi town wrote:
HWH-OC wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:If we are down by 10, with about 5 minutes to go, going with Sato, Coby, Lavine, Porter and Lauri would be interesting.

Yea i think they'll be closing a lot of games out with sato, coby, and lavine at the guard spots.. they look good together!

They looked pretty good lastnight with
Dunn Coby Arch Thad and Carter. That combo will destroy some benches.

As for closing I see Coby closing when his shot is falling. Zach would be the PG. Sato on the bench IMO.

We have a lot of interesting and versatile lineups we're going to be able to play with this year its gunna be fun!

Our bench is gunna be solid... i think we need a new nickname for our second group, bench mob is kinda played out what do u guys think any ideas?
The Basketball and Beer Podcast
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-676785467
mschmidt64
Senior
And1: 231

Post#602 » by mschmidt64 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
mschmidt64 wrote:Wait are people actually complaining about Coby tonight?

Anything to prove yourself right about him not being a good draft pick I guess.

It's just a few people who are ignoring that White is a 19-year-old combo guard still learning the point guard position. So, naturally he is not a high assist player at this stage of his career. But, hey let's count his assists each game for validation.

A 19-year-old going 29/6/6 in a preseason game is damn impressive. White has a chance to be really, really good. He'll never be a pure point guard, but if he can get to a point where he can comfortably run the offense and create for others more consistently, he'll be a big threat. That's obviously not happening this season, but give it time.

Yup.

White was playing PG for the first time in his career last season at Carolina. And he was running the offense full time by the end of the year. Give him a fricking minute in the NBA, please.

He's a natural scorer. The good news is, he looks like another great selection for the Bulls at 7 who is going to be a solid starting caliber player. Excellent, because when you make the playoffs this year on the back of these guys, that is when free agent superstars are gonna want to come join up with LaVine. When they think they can come here and win because the team has winning players in secondary or depth roles, like Carter and White.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#603 » by VolumePoster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 pm

petebraun0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Side note: Hunter looked really good for Atlanta. They had a great draft.

and we didn't even see Cam Reddish or Kevin Heurter or John Collins. Hawks in 2 years, watch out.

Hunter looks exactly as one would have projected: good shooter and defender, with limited handle and no shake to his game. Still like him as a player. But yes, Atlanta is going to have a really great team.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Hawks @ Bulls: Preseason Game #5 

Post#604 » by StunnerKO » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Indomitable wrote:He weighs 227 so you are wrong.
https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/chi/chicago-bulls

He's 240 on NBA.com/ Chicago Bulls official sites. I know everyone had to recertify height/weight, so not sure which of these numbers is old vs new, but you would think if the NBA had a process to recertify their numbers are correct.

They haven’t updated the websites yet but 227 is the correct weight that’s from the Bulls preseason roster sheet . Felicio also gained like 15-20 pounds not reflected on websites yes . Also these released today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mschmidt64
Senior

Post#605 » by mschmidt64 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:15 pm

logical_art wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Some of y’all need to up the b-ball IQ, Coby clearly isn’t playing the point. Dude is scoring, knocking down the 3, and playing good defense, and you guys want to talk about assists. Pay attention.

If you wish to base your analysis on one hot shooting game that's on you and you should probably not call anyone out for not paying attention. He's averaging one assist a game over five games and this is his first good shooting game across the lot.

He's averaging 19 ppg. He's doing just fine.

You are the one fixating on just one thing, not everyone else.

Prior games he had

18 points on 16 shots
12 points on 10 shots
13 points on 15 shots
24 points on 22 shots

That's not terrible efficiency, by the way. He hasn't been shooting poorly.

You act like 10-14 including 6-8 from 3 is his only good shooting night. No, son, that's called an All Star shooting night.
mschmidt64
Senior

Post#606 » by mschmidt64 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:26 pm

logical_art wrote:When a player has a good game are you not supposed to make a point about a lingering weakness thus far in his young career? That's absurd. Coby himself would tell you he needs to improve and yet defensive Bulls fans are unable to take criticism of their rookie after his first really good game of his young career. I thought we were smarter than this.

You aren't making a point though.

You are griping because you wanted to be right about not liking the selection at 7.

A point would be, yeah, looks like White needs to work on his PG skills but damn otherwise he looks awesome right now.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#607 » by JimmyJammer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:39 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:I couldnt watch much of these preseason games, but based on what you have seen, can Zach and Coby play together, I mean really play together? Bcs from what I saw Coby is playing as pure shooter, not looking much for other guys on the floor.. Zach should be no. 1 offensive option, not taking a backseat for a rook.. But I like Coby's confidence, energy, defense and rebounding.. I just miss more floor vision, even if he is only 19yrs old.

You are apparently stuck on that position thing when the league is becoming more and more positionless. With White being able to handle and move the ball and Boylen implementing a multiple ball-handler system, you almost don't need a traditional point guard; all you need is handlers and shooters. So, yes White can play in the backcourt with Lavine without a hitch. In fact, he complements Lavine the best with his ability to shoot, push and handle. The next part of his development is to see the whole floor better and make plays for the bigs to keep them engaged and happy.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#608 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Indomitable wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:Doug, I know you've seen him at games, but from what I see (and read) he's around 20lbs heavier than when he came in and, IMO, it's made him less fluid and slower. I read that he is expecting to play more C and play more in the paint.

For a guy who is 7 feet tall, 240 isn't a lot of weight to carry.

When are you releasing your new podcast?

Did one a couple days ago. Will probably start doing it weekly once the season is out. I need to start better organizing again rather than just going off the hip.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#609 » by JimmyJammer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm

DuckIII wrote:Side note: Hunter looked really good for Atlanta. They had a great draft.

Reddish still sucks and Hunter is just fine, so I would not be quick to say that they had a great draft. Last year, however, was something else because they came out with Trae Young, Huerter and Spellman.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#610 » by kodo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:52 pm

I like Hunter so far, but I probably would have still preferred the two picks. #8 where they could have had Hachimura or Tyler Herro and still had #17 to grab Goga or Brandon Clarke or a number of good players. Time will tell, love Hunter's 2 way potential though.

But I thought it was unusual to trade down in a strong draft (Luka) and then use those same assets to consolidate to trade up a weak one (Hunter).
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#611 » by Jello Biafra » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm

The main question I have coming out of the game is this: Do Stacey King and Dan Jiggets have one sportscoat that they share with each other for TV appearances?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,412

Post#612 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:The main question I have coming out of the game is this: Do Stacey King and Dan Jiggets have one sportscoat that they share with each other for TV appearances?

I think this is the year King moved into Jiggets size. I mean those suits can't be cheap (64 xxl) so I am sure they share.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#613 » by InsideInfo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm

Does anyone have Zachs full preseason stats with the true shooting and all that?
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#614 » by Axolotl » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Well that was the most fun I've had watching a Bulls game since... I don't know when. And, on top of that, looking at the roster, and there's Luol Deng in there!

Carter's been reading the boards: "Yeah, there's no way that Kornet guy is going to start. Lemme show y'all why". Great to see him with a healthy amount of aggression. And Kornet wasn't bad either, he just didn't DOMINATE the way Carter did (yeah, I'm exaggerating, but just... let me have this).

Kris Dunn with 0 points. Doesn't matter. He is a guy who needs to reinvent himself as a player, and if this was a start, it looks promising. He still pounds too much and gambles a bit on defence, but changes don't come overnight. Keep that PRESSURE on, man!

Coby White with 0 assists. Doesn't matter. 22 shots within the flow of the game, on FIRE from the deep. I felt sorry for Atlanta (not much though) when White just kept raining threes and they were behind by more than a quarter's worth of points.

Zach was Zach, and Zach being Zach is AWESOME.

Satoransky, he is just so much more than numbers in the box score. There's an impact that is more of a qualitative nature than quantitative.

Otto Porter just doing the things that are the Right things.

Lauri oh Lauri, what is this shadow that is obscuring your game? You have more, so much more, I know, I have seen it. Where is it? A couple of sweet passes though, keep 'em coming!

I liked those grey hoodies that some of the guys wore on the bench. I've seen them in red and black, but those are not my colours. This grey one I might even buy, if I happen to come across one.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#615 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:
sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
I don't know why you would think that he's being developed wrong. He is just sitting on the perimeter shooting 3s more or less, we aren't using him in the post, he doesn't look noticeably bigger or anything. I think he's expecting to just shoot 3s and probably had been working largely on that.

Doug, I know you've seen him at games, but from what I see (and read) he's around 20lbs heavier than when he came in and, IMO, it's made him less fluid and slower. I read that he is expecting to play more C and play more in the paint.

Actually heard Luari dropped weight. If you compare him to most 4s he’s on the smaller size in terms of weight even though he is much taller than most centers. Imo Luari just needs to be more aggressive. But if you look at the bulls offense every thing is either in the paint or a 3 point shot. Luari has just been shooting a lot of 3’s because that is the bulls offense. A lot of porters attempts are 3’s. Bulls have turned into either a in the paint or a 3 point team.

Exactly and it’s important he hits his 3s because once that happens he’s going to kill the defense. One thing I haven’t seen brought was last night he did attempt at least 4 or 5 times to take his man from the 3 to the paint and everytime he had his guy beat. Only problem was he got fouled so of course people won’t remember that.

What Lauri should look to do (or the staff) is copy Wendell. Just designate one big to always somewhat roam near the paint for quick dump offs. Or maybe they already do that and Lauri is just unfortunate that he’s our most agile big so we’re forcing him somewhat to better his jumpshot so that he can open up other parts of his game.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#616 » by ZOMG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:
sco wrote:Doug, I know you've seen him at games, but from what I see (and read) he's around 20lbs heavier than when he came in and, IMO, it's made him less fluid and slower. I read that he is expecting to play more C and play more in the paint.

Actually heard Luari dropped weight. If you compare him to most 4s he’s on the smaller size in terms of weight even though he is much taller than most centers. Imo Luari just needs to be more aggressive. But if you look at the bulls offense every thing is either in the paint or a 3 point shot. Luari has just been shooting a lot of 3’s because that is the bulls offense. A lot of porters attempts are 3’s. Bulls have turned into either a in the paint or a 3 point team.

Exactly and it’s important he hits his 3s because once that happens he’s going to kill the defense. One thing I haven’t seen brought was last night he did attempt at least 4 or 5 times to take his man from the 3 to the paint and everytime he had his guy beat. Only problem was he got fouled so of course people won’t remember that.

What Lauri should look to do (or the staff) is copy Wendell. Just designate one big to always somewhat roam near the paint for quick dump offs. Or maybe they already do that and Lauri is just unfortunate that he’s our most agile big so we’re forcing him somewhat to better his jumpshot so that he can open up other parts of his game.

I don't think the Bulls have been forcing Lauri to do anything, unfortunately.

He should've been told after his rookie season in no uncertain terms that he has to improve his ballhandling and find a few go to moves or else. To me it looks like Lauri hasn't had any proper guidance on how to improve his game. Since this is the Bulls we're talking about, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

You could say his rookie season success and being a media darling was the worst thing that could ever have happened to him. I wonder if Lauri just started thinking he was a finished product. Hey, he was 20 years old. Kids do stupid stuff. It's up to the coaches to correct this line of thinking if they see it. But the Bulls were in total disarray at the time and perhaps Lauri just fell through the cracks.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#617 » by Chi town » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Rotations. I liked them.

High 5 to Jimbo for the 3 Guard hyper aggressive bench mob w Thad and spacing with Luke.

It’s creative and will cause more problems for other teams than it will for us. Boylen just can’t help himself... he has to play Arch. He’s living through him on the court.

That in rhythm around the back flip pass by arch for the Kornet 3 was a thing of beauty.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#618 » by PaKii94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:

Lauri did look a bit better off the dribble this game. He also had a quite a few nice passes (leading to hockey assists) but only 1 went for an actual assist. His 3 point shot just wasn't going in though. A few of them were in and out. It happens
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#619 » by ZOMG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:Actually heard Luari dropped weight. If you compare him to most 4s he’s on the smaller size in terms of weight even though he is much taller than most centers. Imo Luari just needs to be more aggressive. But if you look at the bulls offense every thing is either in the paint or a 3 point shot. Luari has just been shooting a lot of 3’s because that is the bulls offense. A lot of porters attempts are 3’s. Bulls have turned into either a in the paint or a 3 point team.

Lauri did look a bit better off the dribble this game. He also had a quite a few nice passes (leading to hockey assists) but only 1 went for an actual assist. His 3 point shot just wasn't going in though. A few of them were in and out. It happens

He's always been streaky and there's no reason to expect it to stop.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,596

Post#620 » by Ice Man » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 pm

InsideInfo wrote:Does anyone have Zachs full preseason stats with the true shooting and all that?

I don't have all his stats, but can say that he averaged 23 points in 24 minutes, on .751 TS%.

Return to Chicago Bulls