Image ImageImage Image

Luol Deng has retired

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: Luol Deng has retired 

Post#61 » by The Explorer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#62 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:57 pm

They should have signed him for the final preseason game and let him laced it up one last time as well.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,756

Post#63 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 pm

I am going to miss seeing Deng play. Vastly underrated player.

Like it been said, now retired his number, plz.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#64 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:04 am

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:They should have signed him for the final preseason game and let him laced it up one last time as well.

Would have been a nice gesture but probably would have been a bit disruptive.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#65 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 am

I wonder if Deng came to appreciate the Bulls more after dealing with the Lakers thing. Good for him that he got his money but I'm sure if he could do it over again he wouldn't have gone there.

IRC the Bulls offered him basically a market value extension that he turned down before they traded him.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#66 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41 am

Why didnt he play in the last preseason game? Giving him a tribute video in front of 20k crowd and retiring his number would have been great,
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,601

Post#67 » by DuckIII » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Why didnt he play in the last preseason game? Giving him a tribute video in front of 20k crowd and retiring his number would have been great,

I hope they will retire his number, but I think it’s a long shot. Regardless, they will definitely have a “Luol Deng Night” this year at which he will be present with a tribute video. They’ll do the same for Noah too (I’d also like to see his jersey retired).
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,393

Post#68 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:53 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:They should have signed him for the final preseason game and let him laced it up one last time as well.

Which doesn’t seem very Deng like. Plus I remember Barkley’s last showing and it would have been better to not have seen that.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#69 » by erlim » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Which doesn’t seem very Deng like. Plus I remember Barkley’s last showing and it would have been better to not have seen that.

What was Barkley’s last showing?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#70 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:48 pm

erlim wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

What was Barkley’s last showing?

He was going to retire at the end of the season anyway with the Rockets but he tore his quad I believe. He came in for one game after he healed up to not walk off the court injured. Charles in that game though was truly the round mound as he wasn’t trying to be in game shape. He walked off after scoring on an offensive rebound but my did he look sloppy. I guess it wasn’t that bad but always humored me.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#71 » by HomoSapien » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

I saw something online that said he was the 5th highest paid small forward in NBA history.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#72 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 am

dougthonus wrote:

Definitely, but still would have been cool and they could have hyped it up.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#73 » by erlim » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:18 am

HomoSapien wrote:I saw something online that said he was the 5th highest paid small forward in NBA history.

Many others, including Otto Porter Jr are going to hopscotch that in no time, yeah?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,601

Post#74 » by DuckIII » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 am

erlim wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I saw something online that said he was the 5th highest paid small forward in NBA history.

Many others, including Otto Porter Jr are going to hopscotch that in no time, yeah?

Yeah, that’s more a statement about the history of NBA contract values than it is about Deng.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#75 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 am

DuckIII wrote:
erlim wrote:

Many others, including Otto Porter Jr are going to hopscotch that in no time, yeah

Yeah, that’s more a statement about the history of NBA contract values than it is about Deng.

The list for anyone who's interested. Gay should pass him the first week of the season. Couple more in the top 15 have good odds of passing him. And anyone who signs a new max contract will probably pass it by the end of that contract.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/08/31/these-are-the-highest-paid-small-forwards-in-nba-history/
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#76 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:

Really didn't need to see Lu in the Zenni jersey. Sucks that has to be the last Bulls jersey he wears. Oh well, I'll just forget I ever saw it. Just like I never saw a 40 year old Michael wearing a Wizards jersey and playing like a remnant of himself. That never happened in my mind.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#77 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 pm

I ignore those Jordan years as most do but sometimes I youtube them... it isn’t as bad as I thought it was at the time. Dude was still better than most on the floor... he just wasn’t Michael Jordan.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#78 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I ignore those Jordan years as most do but sometimes I youtube them... it isn’t as bad as I thought it was at the time. Dude was still better than most on the floor... he just wasn’t Michael Jordan.

No, he was still a high caliber, all star quality (he made the all star team of course and deserved it) NBA player, which is such a huge testament to his greatness. Not like he was embarrassing himself or anything. I mean he put up 23, 6 and 5 (that gets you on the all star team still today even if your name is NOT Michael Jordan and you don't have the history). It's just a combination of knowing how much greater he WAS and the fact that he was wearing a jersey that didn't say Chicago or Bulls on it.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#79 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am

Anyway, great to see Luol retire a Bull, regardless. One of my all time favorite Bulls and NBA players. Hope to see him have a role in the organization for years to come.
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#80 » by TruthSerum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:25 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:I wonder if Deng came to appreciate the Bulls more after dealing with the Lakers thing. Good for him that he got his money but I'm sure if he could do it over again he wouldn't have gone there.

IRC the Bulls offered him basically a market value extension that he turned down before they traded him.

Market value is fluid, especially with the crazy cap hikes everybody saw coming. I don't even know how to properly quantify this for you as Deng made so much crazy money in LA. So much. And MIA was pretty good to Deng too. Made the entire salary dump trade look bad. Because it was. Still is. Tank and draft doesn't work great here. I enjoy the dead bodies much more than their replacements in the best basketball city not on the coasts.

Return to Chicago Bulls