Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion - PG 40, Sets New NBA Records Wins Rookie of the Month

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Coby White discussion - PG 40, Sets New NBA Records Wins Rookie of the Month 

Post#1 » by sco » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Thought we could use a thread on him.

Any thoughts on nicknames?

Is he really a PG?

Also saw this today:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bulls-coby-white-buries-poor-035050899.html

"I think he's had one of the best rookie camps I've seen," LaVine said. "We know he can shoot and score but the way he has handled himself, he has been aggressive and playing his game. He can shoot, space the floor and score. It's going to help us so much.

"You can put him in anywhere. He's going to get the job done. He's fearless, not scared of anything, not scared of the moment. I talk to him all the time and say, ‘Keep going.'"

Given his work ethic, it sounds like White will. His late-night shooting sessions at the Advocate Center with his older brother, Will, who played Division II college hoops, already have drawn notice throughout the organization.

"What he does is he works," coach Jim Boylen said. "He hasn't missed any practice time. He's in the facility at night. When I'm in there at 8 p.m., he's in there shooting with his brother, Will, after practice. He puts the extra time in. He cares."
:clap:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,179

Let's get hyped about Coby 

Post#2 » by coldfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm

The Bulls spent all last season tanking. For the most part, it was a horrible season to be a fan. In the mean time, we all had visions of Zion or even Ja Morant dancing around. On lottery night, we were all let down when Chicago dropped to 7.

Coby White was effectively Chicago's booby prize.

3-10 fg 5-8ft 12p
6-15fg 0-1ft 13p
10-22fg 0-1ft 24p
6-16fg 2-2ft 18p
10-14fg 3-3ft 29p

I have read all of the criticism and its valid. He isn't super athletic. He has short arms. He isn't a pure PG. He isn't going to be a top 5 player.

With all of this said, the Bulls have probably fell into yet another great draft pick. I wouldn't be surprised if at the #7 pick, they again got one of the top 3 players. Coby does a lot of things right. He is aggressive and confident. He tries on defense. He is willing to move the ball. He is big enough that he isn't going to get run over by anyone. His handle is pretty good. He can shoot and has the modern tools needed to get his shot off. He drives and takes contact.

There are going to be a lot of nights where he doesn't shoot well. We did this analysis on Ben Gordon over a decade ago. Shooters don't hit exactly their average every night. This isn't a Gordon situation though. Coby is a natural defender, has a better handle and is more aggressive in going to the rim. On the nights where he is off, he can still contribute.

Him being a bench gunner to start the year is a perfect role for him and its a role the Bulls happen to need badly.

I predicted playoffs months ago after free agency. I feel more strongly about that now. Outside of Lauri and maybe Wendell, just about everyone who matters this preseason has been near best case scenario. Coby, Lavine, Otto, Sato, Thad and Kornett look good versus expectations. Even Boylen is doing all the right things.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Coby White discussion 

Post#3 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:56 pm

His nickname is subzero, as that's what he use to call himself in high school when he wore 0.

Right now he's more of a combo guard, but he's shown he can develop as a passer. He made some passes here and there, but certainly that's the biggest part of his game that he will have to develop to he more of a complete offensive player. Don't need him to turn into CP3 by any means, but maybe get to a point where he's playmaking more for his teammate, which would he nice.

We had Michael Walton (from nbcs Chicago) on the podcast during the predraft shows, and he made a Jamal Murray comp with him and I see it more and more.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Re: Let's get hyped about Coby 

Post#4 » by VolumePoster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 pm

coldfish wrote:The Bulls spent all last season tanking. For the most part, it was a horrible season to be a fan. In the mean time, we all had visions of Zion or even Ja Morant dancing around. On lottery night, we were all let down when Chicago dropped to 7.

3-10 fg 5-8ft 12p
6-15fg 0-1ft 13p
10-22fg 0-1ft 24p
6-16fg 2-2ft 18p
10-14fg 3-3ft 29p

I have read all of the criticism and its valid. He isn't super athletic. He has short arms. He isn't a pure PG. He isn't going to be a top 5 player.

With all of this said, the Bulls have probably fell into yet another great draft pick. I wouldn't be surprised if at the #7 pick, they again got one of the top 3 players. Coby does a lot of things right. He is aggressive and confident. He tries on defense. He is willing to move the ball. He is big enough that he isn't going to get run over by anyone. His handle is pretty good. He can shoot and has the modern tools needed to get his shot off. He drives and takes contact.

There are going to be a lot of nights where he doesn't shoot well. We did this analysis on Ben Gordon over a decade ago. Shooters don't hit exactly their average every night. This isn't a Gordon situation though. Coby is a natural defender, has a better handle and is more aggressive in going to the rim. On the nights where he is off, he can still contribute.

Him being a bench gunner to start the year is a perfect role for him and its a role the Bulls happen to need badly.

I predicted playoffs months ago after free agency. I feel more strongly about that now. Outside of Lauri and maybe Wendell, just about everyone who matters this preseason has been near best case scenario. Coby, Lavine, Otto, Sato, Thad and Kornett look good versus expectations. Even Boylen is doing all the right things.

Spot on. And I will say it’s been really great to see the discussions on this site pick up!
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#5 » by RememberLu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:05 pm

It's such a small sample size but I like the fact that he's not meek. He has that alpha potential in him, which is a very good sign for his ceiling. It's something I honestly don't even see in Lauri.

Having Zach LaVine here to mentor Coby is very good for him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#6 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm

coldfish wrote:.

I merged this into the thread sco created about Coby.

Agree with your post. During the draft process, it became clear that Coby was being undervalued by a lot of people.

One thing that really stood out to me was how as a freshman he was able to not only get a starting spot with Roy William's but he was the lead guard, when Roy Williams is known to not start freshman players and give them smaller roles in general.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: Coby White discussion 

Post#7 » by Chi town » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:His nickname is subzero, as that's what he use to call himself in high school when he wore 0.

Right now he's more of a combo guard, but he's shown he can develop as a passer. He made some passes here and there, but certainly that's the biggest part of his game that he will have to develop to he more of a complete offensive player. Don't need him to turn into CP3 by any means, but maybe get to a point where he's playmaking more for his teammate, which would he nice.

We had Michael Walton (from nbcs Chicago) on the podcast during the predraft shows, and he made a Jamal Murray comp with him and I see it more and more.

Jamal Murray is who I’ve been saying too. Billups isn’t a bad comp but he played in the pound it and dribble all day era. Coby doesn’t do that.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,179

Post#8 » by coldfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:14 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
coldfish wrote:.

I merged this into the thread sco created about Coby.

No problem. I checked to see one and then created it. As I was going through it, sco posted one. I like my title better tho. :)
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#9 » by chefo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 pm

I didn't like what I saw from him in summer league--but, I knew that summer league means pretty much nothing because it's mostly anarchy. I loved what I saw the first couple of games, before he started catching fire--because the things that matter to a modern NBA scorer are 2:

1.) Can he get by his guy with a brush screen, or simply with speed and agility? And the answer was yes, definitely. Kid is like the energizer bunny and only Lavine was as quick as him, and that was only when Zach tried.

2.) Can he get good separation on his shots--this is where I was thoroughly surprised. He was getting such good separation on his shots that the best defenders have been able to do is manage to get a hand up. Here's the thing I think I missed, and most people did as well--he changed his shooting mechanics from college. In preseason, his release has been almost Klay or Steph Curry quick. He didn't shoot like that in summer league, or in college where it was more of a slower, deliberate shot. Maybe that was why he couldn't hit a thing during the summer--he was in the process of reworking his shot.

On top of that, he hustles on D and has quick feet, which is absolutely awesome to see from a rook whose main value will be in scoring. As Thibs used to say, motor is its own skill.

I like the Ben Gordon comparison stylistically, but be mindful that he is probably a good 3 inches taller. I know Ben had decent length, but taller means he can see the floor better as well.

I'm stoked overall, and the last 3 games have been super encouraging. He probably won't always shoot 45% on 3s, but as I noted before, scoring looks to come very easy--like an elite scorer easy-- to him.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#10 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I am very high on Coby. I honestly think, if everything goes well for him, he can be the second leading scorer this year for the Bulls. Even coming off the bench. I think he has that drive and talent.
The Cult of Personality
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,199

Post#11 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30 pm

I like what I see so far. The confidence is great. He isn't going to be a #1 and no one ever thought he would be. I am not too worried about the the passing and playmaking right now. The coaching staff seems to have told him to play SG and play like a SG. If it looked like he was supposed to be running the point and he was not play making I would be worried but that is not the case.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#12 » by khufure » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

chefo wrote:Here's the thing I think I missed, and most people did as well--he changed his shooting mechanics from college. In preseason, his release has been almost Klay or Steph Curry quick. He didn't shoot like that in summer league, or in college where it was more of a slower, deliberate shot. Maybe that was why he couldn't hit a thing during the summer--he was in the process of reworking his shot.

Interesting. Do you have before/after of that?
Chi town
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chi town » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Has the league ever seen a 2 way combo gunner that gets up 3s like Coby and can D up 1-3?

His value is tremendous if he can be a Ben Gordon closer shooter with defense 1-3.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chi town » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:37 pm

khufure wrote:
chefo wrote:Here's the thing I think I missed, and most people did as well--he changed his shooting mechanics from college. In preseason, his release has been almost Klay or Steph Curry quick. He didn't shoot like that in summer league, or in college where it was more of a slower, deliberate shot. Maybe that was why he couldn't hit a thing during the summer--he was in the process of reworking his shot.

It does look smoother and quicker. It’s compact and in rhythm. Love how he is taking good shots and not forcing.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#15 » by logical_art » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:44 pm

coldfish wrote:The Bulls spent all last season tanking. For the most part, it was a horrible season to be a fan. In the mean time, we all had visions of Zion or even Ja Morant dancing around. On lottery night, we were all let down when Chicago dropped to 7.

3-10 fg 5-8ft 12p
6-15fg 0-1ft 13p
10-22fg 0-1ft 24p
6-16fg 2-2ft 18p
10-14fg 3-3ft 29p

I don't think he's the caliber of shooter Ben was coming in. Also, while Ben had a similar standing reach as Coby, his release was higher which allowed him to get his shot off against 2 guards in tight spaces. It remains to be seen if Coby can shot with legit length in his face.

Also, while Coby was aggressive going to the rim (he slowed down the last few games), he's not very effective at finishing yet (maybe why he's not attacking as much).

Anyway at least he looks like someone someone who can get hot from time to time and give a team an offensive spark. And with his apparent work ethic, he might be a lot more.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#16 » by jStuNNa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Chi town wrote:
khufure wrote:

It does look smoother and quicker. It’s compact and in rhythm. Love how he is taking good shots and not forcing.

I hated his low release point in college. I wonder if he fixed that.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#17 » by jStuNNa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Also wasn't a fan of his shorter wingspan... But he's been playing good defense and rebounding well.

His work ethic seems to be making up, plus some, for some of his shortcomings.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#18 » by PaKii94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Going into the draft I was focused solely on a fit for starting PG. With that in mind, I was completely against Coby. I saw another scorer in the mold of Lavine....Good thing my scouting was correct :P . After getting Sato and cooling down from the draft I could see how valuable he can be as a bench scorer. Summer league showed inklings of that but he went under the radar because of his poor shooting and poor talent around him.

I thought he would have some troubles adjusting to the 3 point range but he seems to already know how to knock it down. Very impressive. The key thing is he's not a ball stopping scorer. He gets his points in the offense and keeps the ball moving otherwise. He's an energizer vs a black hole.

In my mind, he's what I was hoping blakeney could be: keep the ball moving, play solid defense, be a gunner. blakeney's IQ was his hinderance but I don't see that problem for Coby.

I am excited to see his development.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#19 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I mean he looked special in college and we all watched UNC/Duke games year clearly for the Zion hype-
so the fact he was out you turned your eye to other players like Little and Cam Johnson. I watched Johnson thinking he was possible Bulls pick and figured GarPax would fall in love with Luke Maye.

but that Coby White kid kept making plays and was lightning quick. I remember thinking - maybe that kid with our second pick?

can't wait until Stacey coins a nickname for him.
White Heat/White Lightning would be cool as an ode to the Velvet Underground tune, but that's too old for this generation.

maybe he is the generational talent we have been seeking? :pray:
he's talented, that's for sure. Love his quiet/humble demeanor. It does remind me of a former #1 pick we had......

He's playing Friday night in that Rookie game with Zion.
Luka, Zion, Coby :love:
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#20 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:03 pm

Stacey King has already used 99 problems but scoring aint 1 for Coby. Which I assume is his new "Too Big Too strong Too Fast Too Good"

Coby does have alot of cool nicknames potential though.

He was already tabbed SubZero that he had in highschool.

Ive heard people say "White Mamba" which actually works extremely well for obvious reasons.
The Cult of Personality

Return to Chicago Bulls