Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion - PG 40, Sets New NBA Records Wins Rookie of the Month

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

jsleesl28
Freshman
And1: 59

Re: Coby White discussion 

Post#41 » by jsleesl28 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 pm

i dont think he would mind not starting if he consistently finishes the game.

We need his scoring with the 2nd unit for now and we need as many weapon as possible in the closing minutes.

so yea... he should embrace the manu role and roll with it.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#42 » by coldfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:36 pm

jsleesl28 wrote:i dont think he would mind not starting if he consistently finishes the game.

We need his scoring with the 2nd unit for now and we need as many weapon as possible in the closing minutes.

I would hope that Boylen is smart enough to ride hot hands. In the games where Coby is on, he should get extended minutes and possibly finish. When he isn't, there are other options.

Its kind of funny but having a deep team is often tougher for a coach than having 5 good players and trash behind them. I virtually guarantee that every loss this year is going to have questions about why didn't Boylen try this lineup or play this guy longer? This team has 9 legit NBA players and a virtually infinite combination of them that can work, given the number of guys that can play multiple positions.
YoungPa
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#43 » by YoungPa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:42 pm

He out there lookin' like Norm Van Lier!
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#44 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 pm

I liked the Coby selection, hated falling to #7 but hey, it worked out with WCJ and Lauri.

Deng, Hinrich Lauri, WCJ and Coby were all #7 picks.

Nene, Eric Gordon, Steph Curry, Greg Monroe, Harrison Barnes, Julius Randle, Jamal Murray were all #7 picks as well. It's the #8 pick you gotta look out for.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#45 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 pm

The Evidence wrote:First time since Rose + BG that we can see a dynamic backcourt again...

I always wish we coulda seen that tandem for a few more years (less pressure on Rose to score coulda helped with longevity maybe?), but time ran its course with BG and his steep decline, so it was a short window anyways.

Now we have something similar again with 2 proper Scorers in the backcourt, but unlike Rose + BG, both are in the same age window, and both Lavine and White can catch and shoot, whereas BG was the change of pace scorer with Rose initiating for the most part.

Lavine and White could be far deadlier, even though neither has a Rose-type of ceiling.

I think LaVine can be a better offensive player than Rose in particular because of his 3 point shooting. Rose had that clutch gene/it factor than LaVine has hasn't shown so far though.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#46 » by transplant » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 pm

Love most of what I've seen. The kid is fearless and that's rare in a rookie. I'm not sure how you evaluate him as a PG because he hasn't played much at the position in preseason. He was at least adequate at it at UNC. He doesn't necessarily need to be a PG for the Bulls this season.

Right now, what he does best is score. As primary skills go, that's not a bad one to have. He's also a dog on defense...I mean, he gets after it. So we've got a rookie who can light it up on offense and defends like a demon. I'll take it.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#47 » by superdave » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Bulls lucked into another nice #7 pick. 8-)

Coby, in small doses, is displaying the most valuable skill in the modern NBA game right now. On ball 3-pt shot creation from a lead guard (ala Steph, Dame, Harden, Kemba). I thought his handle and low release would limit this. But Coby's handle looks improved and he already has shown a nice stepback '3' and herky-jerky dribble w/ quick shot release. This is incredibly promising as the gravity of this skill naturally creates spacing for the rest of the team. Exciting development from a 19 y/o.
jsleesl28
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#48 » by jsleesl28 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:11 pm

crazy to think that he is only 19. wow.
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#49 » by superdave » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:26 pm

One more thing.

Even the General Board is starting to pile on re: lack of assists. Hmmm. Assists are a function of team play and role too. Coby is being asked to score and play smart, which thus far he's doing. For example, Arch/Dunn/Kornet/Thad had 12 assists last game and Coby was the beneficiary of much of that. Arch is a pass-first guard and Dunn is Randy Brown 2.0, so if Boylen keeps the 3-guard bench lineup for the regular season, I would expect much of the same re: Coby's assists.

It looks like Hutch is hurt and Denzel is in Boylen's doghouse, realistically the Bulls need another rotational wing to balance lineups. Something I also want to see going forward is Coby / Gafford on the PnR… they had some good chemistry in SL and I think this would translate.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Re: Let's get hyped about Coby 

Post#50 » by drosereturn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:57 pm

coldfish wrote:
coldfish wrote:
3-10 fg 5-8ft 12p
6-15fg 0-1ft 13p
10-22fg 0-1ft 24p
6-16fg 2-2ft 18p
10-14fg 3-3ft 29p

In case anyone cares:
35-77 45.5%fg
10-15 ft
96p
57.4%ts

Really up and down but overall, that ain't bad.

Thats because he had one great game which boosted his overall shooting percentages.
Still cannot believe he shot that well when he shot less than 50% in rest of those games.
I still dont like his game since he rarely draws fouls and shoots a lot of jumpers while not really creating for others.
Now that you mention, he does remind me of worse shooting Ben Gordon with defense. That aint bad but hes not really a core.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#51 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 am

He won't ever become a Top-5 player (and that should be nobody's experctation), but White has a sneaky chance of becoming an all-star. It was always weird that he was considered a "low ceiling" prospect during the draft prospect by some. He doesn't turn 20 until February and is entering the league with a fairly well-rounded skillset.

He he has nearly elite speed with the ball, can create his own shot, has three-point range, good mechanics, a quick release, above-average footwork with the ball, and plays at least competent team defense at multiple positions. The worst things you can say about him are that he's not an elite athlete, doesn't have elite strength, and isn't a great playmaker for others. However, I don't think those things will prevent him from becoming an all-star.

I think he's ahead of the curve for a 19-year-old guard. He's also in a great situation with the Bulls. Because of his size and the addition of the versatile Tomas Satoransky, the Bulls can play a number of three guard lineups with multiple ball handlers and shooters. This will reduce the pressure of making White a high volume playmaker as a rookie and he can learn as he goes. White can primarily play off the ball and pick his spots as a ball handler and shot creator.

He's obviously going to have his struggles like every other rookie, but the chances are high that the Bulls added another player who can at least be a quality starter in this league at #7. That's not easy to do.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#52 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 am

Any chance he turns out to be a Bradley Beal type? Same height. Wasn't an All Star until his 6th season. Very good 3pt shooter. Not much of a facilitator. Coby was a better facilitator and scorer in college though.

Can we stop comparing him to shorter players... :-?
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Re: Let's get hyped about Coby 

Post#53 » by coldfish » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:36 am

Showtime23 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
coldfish wrote:
3-10 fg 5-8ft 12p
6-15fg 0-1ft 13p
10-22fg 0-1ft 24p
6-16fg 2-2ft 18p
10-14fg 3-3ft 29p

In case anyone cares:
35-77 45.5%fg
10-15 ft
96p
57.4%ts

Really up and down but overall, that ain't bad.

Thats because he had one great game which boosted his overall shooting percentages.
Still cannot believe he shot that well when he shot less than 50% in rest of those games.
I still dont like his game since he rarely draws fouls and shoots a lot of jumpers while not really creating for others.
Now that you mention, he does remind me of worse shooting Ben Gordon with defense. That aint bad but hes not really a core.

If you take out his best game and his worst game to eliminate flyers, his numbers go to
22-53 2-4ft 55p 51%ts.

Its not as good but the fact that his best game was his last and his worst was his first should be encouraging.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#54 » by Chi town » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:43 am

coldfish wrote:
jsleesl28 wrote:i dont think he would mind not starting if he consistently finishes the game.

I would hope that Boylen is smart enough to ride hot hands. In the games where Coby is on, he should get extended minutes and possibly finish. When he isn't, there are other options.

Its kind of funny but having a deep team is often tougher for a coach than having 5 good players and trash behind them. I virtually guarantee that every loss this year is going to have questions about why didn't Boylen try this lineup or play this guy longer? This team has 9 legit NBA players and a virtually infinite combination of them that can work, given the number of guys that can play multiple positions.

HE has said repeatedly he would ride the hot hand.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#55 » by Stratmaster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:46 am

The ball is going to be in Zach's hands in the half court offense, then in Sato, Dunn or Archies hands. If the Bulls play the way they should, and the way they want to, there won't be as many traditional set PG plays. Boylen is already showing he plans on playing a 3 guard offense significant minutes. The size of the Guards on the roster allows this luxury.

White appears to be able to make the obvious passes when they are there. That is likely all he needs to do playing off ball. I don't really have any concern with him playing alongside Zach if he shoots anywhere near the way he has been; especially as active as he has been defensively and stealing boards.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#56 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:00 am

Even his misses look great. Almost every shot I've seen him miss was right on the money....including summer league. All i said to myself was, that's got to eventually go in. Has the same looking stroke every time.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Post#57 » by Ugly Duckling » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 am

I was unhappy about the pick because I didn't feel like he would translate. I felt like his handle was sticky. I'm liking the pick more and more. The 29 in a preseason game doesn't mean that much, but we have a good backcourt rotation with Zach, Coby and Sato. He still feels like a combo guard, but could become one of the best in the league
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#58 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:19 am

Too lazy to dig up the thread, but I said several times that White was going to be the best guard taken in the 2019 draft & that he was going to perhaps be The Guy or one of The Guys alongside Zach/Markk on this team (perhaps even Wendell, we have so much high level talent but so many question marks around each guy due to the collective youth/downtime thanks to injuries). A few on here jumped on me & swore he’d be some inefficient bum off the bench that was a negative on defense.

I stand firmly by my claim. This kid has “It”, that supremely rare quality. His motor/focus/refusal to lose or get rattled is going to set him apart. His offensive IQ is also absurdly ahead of schedule. His movement & pace look so effortless out there. He can score at will & is faster than pretty much everyone out there. He also looks to have incredible strength & will be a regular at the free throw line.

Last but not least, he’s 19 years old & still has a year & a half of physical growth left, I’d imagine. He’s also a lot more athletic than people were giving him credit for. The Bulls NAILED this past draft. I have a feeling we’re going to be looking back very, very fondly on this one.
TheCly
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#59 » by TheCly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 am

Best thing to me about Coby is that he's fun to watch. I remember when Rose would go down, the team got much harder to want to watch with Deng, Kirk, Taj, and Noah trying to gut out wins. At last now, we have a couple lightning bolt type scorers in Lavine and White and even when one goes out, the team will still have scoring punch. If they can stay healthy, this team is going to be entertaining at the least.
TheCly
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#60 » by TheCly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 am

And as for a nickname. "Ben Rose". :-)

Return to Chicago Bulls