Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion - PG 40, Sets New NBA Records Wins Rookie of the Month

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Re: Coby White discussion - PG 20, Coby Sets New NBA Record 

Post#501 » by DuckIII » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:13 pm

ZOMG wrote:
BigUps wrote:I highly question how Coby is being developed here. He came into the league as a guy who plays the game fast, goes up and down the court with speed while having a questionable jumper. Now he's been groomed into a 3 point shooter (which is nice), but never goes up and down the court at the frenetic pace he did in college. This is entirely coaching and if we drafted a player who had a questionable jumper coming into the draft to turn him into a better shooter then shame on us.

I'd like to see Coby play more freely as a PG. I realize I'm likely in a boat all by myself, but he's being groomed into a chucker right now and I want to see him grow into more than a microwave guy off the bench.

College Coby is gone and he's not coming back.

NBA defenses are paranoid about fast breaks. They can't prevent everything, but a fast break in this league generally means a long outlet pass right after a defensive rebound. The type of coast-to-coast dribbling exhibition Coby got used to in college is easily preventable in the League. Not to mention that in the NCAA, Coby was bigger, stronger and more aggressive than the opposition. Not the case anymore.

Not to mention his speed was always overstated anyway. He played at a fast pace in college, but was not ever the “one man fast break” type he was made out to be.

Rose, Wall, Westbrook, guys that get shot out of a cannon. He was never explosively downhill fast like that. He’s more the energizer bunny type that just keeps coming at you. Which is a fine attribute, but like everything else with his game, nothing special at all.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,998

Post#502 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm still intrigued by Coby and his switchy step back shotmaking and high volume of 3s. He's shooting about how I thought he would. Its well known rookie shooters don't shoot well. He's actually had shooting displays that I didn't see coming.

I like his D, effort, and work ethic. On ball and off ball upside.

I could see him being a Jrue Holiday with much higher volume of 3s... That's a damn good player. Not a superstar but a winner.
He has to learn how to draw fouls if he will ever become that though.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,356

Post#503 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:10 pm

I don't know why, but there is something electric about Coby when he scores in bunches.

It gives me the Jamal Crawford vibes when he is hot.
The Cult of Personality
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 884

Post#504 » by HearshotKDS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm

I just hope he gets his efficiency up. Even for a rookie, 47.8% TS after 34 games is off-target.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#505 » by Jcool0 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:30 pm

DuckIII wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
BigUps wrote:I highly question how Coby is being developed here. He came into the league as a guy who plays the game fast, goes up and down the court with speed while having a questionable jumper. Now he's been groomed into a 3 point shooter (which is nice), but never goes up and down the court at the frenetic pace he did in college. This is entirely coaching and if we drafted a player who had a questionable jumper coming into the draft to turn him into a better shooter then shame on us.

I'd like to see Coby play more freely as a PG. I realize I'm likely in a boat all by myself, but he's being groomed into a chucker right now and I want to see him grow into more than a microwave guy off the bench.

NBA defenses are paranoid about fast breaks. They can't prevent everything, but a fast break in this league generally means a long outlet pass right after a defensive rebound. The type of coast-to-coast dribbling exhibition Coby got used to in college is easily preventable in the League. Not to mention that in the NCAA, Coby was bigger, stronger and more aggressive than the opposition. Not the case anymore.

Not to mention his speed was always overstated anyway. He played at a fast pace in college, but was not ever the “one man fast break” type he was made out to be.

Rose, Wall, Westbrook, guys that get shot out of a cannon. He was never explosively downhill fast like that. He’s more the energizer bunny type that just keeps coming at you. Which is a fine attribute, but like everything else with his game, nothing special at all.

That not just not true. He is one of the faster players in the NBA.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,578

Post#506 » by Ice Man » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm

The kid is playing better. I like that.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#507 » by samwana » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:51 pm

Maybe he hit the rookie wall early.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#508 » by transplant » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:54 pm

I'd say that White had maybe 8 good games in his first 30. He's had 3 in his last 4. Good trend.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#509 » by sco » Wed Jan 1, 2020 12:12 am

I'm getting less enamored with Coby. He is a streaky shooter and has worse floor vision than I had hoped for. It's not that he doesn't have starter potential, but I'm doubting his ceiling is higher than that.
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#510 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 1, 2020 2:33 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

That not just not true. He is one of the faster players in the NBA.

Maybe he is. I’m not aware of the data. But it doesn’t translate so it doesn’t matter. There are a handful of players whose speed is a legitimately special attribute which gives them a noteworthy advantage in actual games. Coby isn’t one of them.

He’s a nice pace pusher and can occasionally catch a defender off guard in the half court for a blow by. Like I said, it’s a positive. But it’s not special. Nothing about him is. That said, I’m more optimistic about his ceiling than I was when we drafted him.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#511 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 1, 2020 2:38 pm

sco wrote:I'm getting less enamored with Coby. He is a streaky shooter and has worse floor vision than I had hoped for. It's not that he doesn't have starter potential, but I'm doubting his ceiling is higher than that.

When we picked him I thought his ceiling was 6th man combo guard. It still might be. But his half court shot creation skills are better than I expected. If he can take a solid step forward in efficiency next year that will be a very good sign.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#512 » by The Explorer » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:57 pm

At least we can safely say he's better than McDermott, Snell, Valentine, Hutchison, Marquis Teague.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#513 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jan 1, 2020 5:58 pm

The Explorer wrote:At least we can safely say he's better than McDermott, Snell, Valentine, Hutchison, Marquis Teague.

I mean, yeah, I expect him to be better than those bums, but no, we can't safely say that yet, because he's absolutely awful right now.

For all we know he just doesn't improve much and is in the big pile of mid-late lottery guard busts like Austin Rivers, Ben McLemore, Randy Foye, Emmanuel Mudiay, etc. etc.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#514 » by Chi town » Wed Jan 1, 2020 6:42 pm

DuckIII wrote:
sco wrote:I'm getting less enamored with Coby. He is a streaky shooter and has worse floor vision than I had hoped for. It's not that he doesn't have starter potential, but I'm doubting his ceiling is higher than that.

When we picked him I thought his ceiling was 6th man combo guard. It still might be. But his half court shot creation skills are better than I expected. If he can take a solid step forward in efficiency next year that will be a very good sign.

His step back and shiftiness is real. He can create for himself no problem but not so much for others.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#515 » by VolumePoster » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:08 pm

The one thing the bulls can’t afford is to let Cobys potential - and I’m firmly in the camp of “sixth man combo guard” being a reasonable ceiling - preclude them from picking a point guard if he’s bpa. Tyrese Haliburton is available at seven? Sorry Coby.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,231

Post#516 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:54 pm

VolumePoster wrote:The one thing the bulls can’t afford is to let Cobys potential - and I’m firmly in the camp of “sixth man combo guard” being a reasonable ceiling - preclude them from picking a point guard if he’s bpa. Tyrese Haliburton is available at seven? Sorry Coby.

Haliburton is 6’-5”, nothing wrong with a backcourt of him AND Coby.

The primary purpose of shooting guards in this league is still to score first, and be somewhat of a competent defender. Coby is going to be able to do both of those things well when he’s in his prime IMO. He can create for himself and is a dedicated, pesky defender.

Pair him with a taller point guard to defend larger guards when needed. Haliburton is 6’5”, Ball is 6’-8”, Maledon is 6’-5”, only Nico is on the short end at 6’3” (although he looks shorter than that to me when he plays). There is a good chance the Bulls are gonna draft a big point guard in the draft, which plays into their hands perfectly.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Chi town
RealGM

Post#517 » by Chi town » Wed Jan 1, 2020 8:48 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
VolumePoster wrote:The one thing the bulls can’t afford is to let Cobys potential - and I’m firmly in the camp of “sixth man combo guard” being a reasonable ceiling - preclude them from picking a point guard if he’s bpa. Tyrese Haliburton is available at seven? Sorry Coby.

The primary purpose of shooting guards in this league is still to score first, and be somewhat of a competent defender. Coby is going to be able to do both of those things well when he’s in his prime IMO. He can create for himself and is a dedicated, pesky defender.

Pair him with a taller point guard to defend larger guards when needed. Haliburton is 6’5”, Ball is 6’-8”, Maledon is 6’-5”, only Nico is on the short end at 6’3” (although he looks shorter than that to me when he plays). There is a good chance the Bulls are gonna draft a big point guard in the draft, which plays into their hands perfectly.

I like Haliburton but Nico Mannion more. I think Coby can play with both of them. He has had no issues on defense. He’s strong and has a good frame.

Ideally Coby grows into a Jrue Holiday type of player that shoots more 3s. I think he has that kind of potential. Also similar to a Dinwiddie.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#518 » by ZOMG » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:37 pm

Chi town wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

I like Haliburton but Nico Mannion more. I think Coby can play with both of them. He has had no issues on defense. He’s strong and has a good frame.

Ideally Coby grows into a Jrue Holiday type of player that shoots more 3s. I think he has that kind of potential. Also similar to a Dinwiddie.

I see this repeated all the time and wonder where it started.

It's simply not true. Coby is a bad defender.

I guess people have a tendency to project positive defense-related attributes when they see a player who looks active.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,231

Post#519 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:50 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

I see this repeated all the time and wonder where it started.

It's simply not true. Coby is a bad defender.

I guess people have a tendency to project positive defense-related attributes when they see a player who looks active.

Coby’s defensive numbers are bad in that he’s a rookie, and nearly all rookies have bad defensive numbers and bad numbers overall. But watching him play, and even if you look at the defensive metrics relative to his rookie peers, he projects out to be a very capable defender. He’s active in the passing lanes, he stays in front of his player on pick and rolls, and doesn’t often get lost.

There are only 2 rookies in the top ten that have a positive VORP for example, Morant and Hayes. I think it’s safe to say that there won’t be 8 busts in the top 10, but rookies don’t win you games. You kind of have to watch them play and hope to see enough moments of special play to feel confident in them as they grow. Coby has done that for me, including defensively.

If you look at all the other guards drafted in the top 10, White had the most defensive win shares, including Culver and Hunter. Culver and Barrett are the only ones that have a higher DBPM.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#520 » by VolumePoster » Wed Jan 1, 2020 10:26 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Agreed 100%. They have completely different skill sets. Haliburton is also a long 6’5 as opposed to Coby, who of course has poor length for his height. My point is simply that we shouldn’t be assuming Coby evolves into a true point guard, and passing on a really unique and effective player like Haliburton in order to reach for a small forward.

Return to Chicago Bulls