Image ImageImage Image

Zion injured. Out several weeks

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Re: Zion injured. Out several weeks 

Post#41 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
dougthonus wrote:I didn't realize until I just looked now that the Pelicans had the first game of the NBA season against the Raptors. That game is more or less a dud now.

I'm still really surprised that they went all in with Zion for opening night. Granted, that's easier to say in hindsight, but the entire reason to watch that opening night game is because of him. Nobody outside of Canada cares about Toronto's ring night and Kawhi isn't there anymore. Now the NBA is facing a potential dud of an opener and a lot of people on EST won't be able to stay up for the entire 10:30 tip for the Lakers/Clippers game because of work the next day.

I don't want to jump the gun with Zion's injury since we don't know much about it. Obviously weighing that much with his playing style doesn't seem like something that can produce a durable 15+ year career, but this could still be more about the Pelicans being very delicate with their golden child.

If Zion was healthy, then Zion opening would have been perfect. No way to have guessed he'll be hurt.

I think the NBA really needs Zion. The game looks like it is entering a post Jordan like malaise with lack of fun superstars and the drafts from 2013-2019 haven't really produced a whole ton of value. Zion is the first guy to generate tons of real excitement since I can't even remember when.

I wouldn't jump the gun on the Zion injury too much. The question is what does Zion do with his weight going forward. He probably need to trim down or stay the same for 15 years. Most guys add weight as they grow, and Zion probably shouldn't do that.

That said, you could have said the same about Shaq to a degree and he lasted an awfully long time at a much heavier weight, and he definitely put a lot of torque on his body with his movements as well. Probably not quite as explosively as Zion but also with up to 70-100 lbs more weight at times.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#42 » by Ccwatercraft » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:08 pm

i find it a bit odd when people say that the nba needs zion, needs a superstar, needs exciting players, needs hype.

I completely disagree.

we have a ton of really really great players, theh have just been overshadowed by gsw and LBJ stuff. we have no shortage of stars.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#43 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:i find it a bit odd when people say that the nba needs zion, needs a superstar, needs exciting players, needs hype.

I completely disagree.

we have a ton of really really great players, theh have just been overshadowed by gsw and LBJ stuff. we have no shortage of stars.

For instance Anthony Davis who was Zion before Zion. Kawhi as the giant killer is very interesting. Even a guy like Zach could be marketable. Zion does have a very very special it factor though no doubt. I was out of town for work for that Duke North Carolina game. We had come in to a bar to see it literally one minute after the shoe incident. These people I was with do t care about basketball aside from say a tournament pool. Everyone was excited to see that game though. Zion does have something.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,545

Post#44 » by Ice Man » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:For instance Anthony Davis who was Zion before Zion.

Well not really. AD scored 14 points per game during his one college season, and then 14 again as an NBA rookie. Obviously, he got a lot better after that, but when he did get a lot better, he was playing on a bad, obscure team, without having a name for himself. I mean, sure basketball fans knew who AD was, but not the general public.

Whereas Zion ... he's Baby Bron. You can go into my office, say "Zion" to people who don't follow sports, and most of 'em will respond "Is that the name of that basketball guy?"
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#45 » by kodo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:52 pm

dougthonus wrote:If Zion was healthy, then Zion opening would have been perfect. No way to have guessed he'll be hurt.

I think the NBA really needs Zion. The game looks like it is entering a post Jordan like malaise with lack of fun superstars and the drafts from 2013-2019 haven't really produced a whole ton of value. Zion is the first guy to generate tons of real excitement since I can't even remember when.

I wouldn't jump the gun on the Zion injury too much. The question is what does Zion do with his weight going forward. He probably need to trim down or stay the same for 15 years. Most guys add weight as they grow, and Zion probably shouldn't do that.

That said, you could have said the same about Shaq to a degree and he lasted an awfully long time at a much heavier weight, and he definitely put a lot of torque on his body with his movements as well. Probably not quite as explosively as Zion but also with up to 70-100 lbs more weight at times.

I think Zion's situation is a bit worse than Shaq's, because while both weighed the same as rookies, 290, Shaq was still a center who received the ball in the low post or right under the basket and would go straight up. Zion gets the ball on the perimeter and slashes in, some of his drives and the way he power jumps contorts and then hangs in the air to lay the ball in remind me of Rose. Except Zion is 290 instead of 200.

When Shaq gained 50+ more lbs he had completely abandoned that athletic style of play in ORL and become a pure low post guy who operated on power. I don't think it was all that intentional, 19 year olds gain weight as they get close to 30 it's just natural biology. The thought of Zion gaining more natural weight as he gets older is concerning.

I'd be less worried if Zion had a lot of body fat like Eddy Curry, because at least he has a future where he could trim down. Everyone says Zion needs to get down to 250-240; I don't see that happening unless he amputates a leg. It's easy to see from his pics shirtless this guy isn't carrying around 50 lbs of body fat.

Pels have to do an amazing job managing his health. Maybe he's a 60 games per season guy like Embiid; it's still better than Zion tearing his ACLs in the next few years.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#46 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:For instance Anthony Davis who was Zion before Zion.

Well not really. AD scored 14 points per game during his one college season, and then 14 again as an NBA rookie. Obviously, he got a lot better after that, but when he did get a lot better, he was playing on a bad, obscure team, without having a name for himself. I mean, sure basketball fans knew who AD was, but not the general public.

Whereas Zion ... he's Baby Bron. You can go into my office, say "Zion" to people who don't follow sports, and most of 'em will respond "Is that the name of that basketball guy?"

Totally agree as you see the second part of my post. AD was a major sure fire prospect though and could have been marketed but there is no doubt Zion is a special intriguing prospect.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#47 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:35 pm

kodo wrote:When Shaq gained 50+ more lbs he had completely abandoned that athletic style of play in ORL and become a pure low post guy who operated on power. I don't think it was all that intentional, 19 year olds gain weight as they get close to 30 it's just natural biology. The thought of Zion gaining more natural weight as he gets older is concerning.

I'd be less worried if Zion had a lot of body fat like Eddy Curry, because at least he has a future where he could trim down. Everyone says Zion needs to get down to 250-240; I don't see that happening unless he amputates a leg. It's easy to see from his pics shirtless this guy isn't carrying around 50 lbs of body fat.

Pels have to do an amazing job managing his health. Maybe he's a 60 games per season guy like Embiid; it's still better than Zion tearing his ACLs in the next few years.

I think Zion has plenty of body fat to lose. We'll see how his career progresses obviously, but I wouldn't jump on the panic bandwagon yet. LeBron has played at near Zion's weight (was playing over 270 for awhile) with an even more athletic style previously in his career.

I think there's always a risk for guys that generate so much stress, but I don't think it's as big as people in this thread are making it out to be. He's not a guy who's handling the ball on the perimeter and driving and cutting every possession.
@doug_thonus on twitter
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#48 » by SfBull » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Clocian wrote:Time for coby to snatch ROTY

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

You're forgetting of Ja Morant,even in case of Zion having a season ending injury( which isn't the case) Morant would be the most likely ROY
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#49 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:58 pm

SfBull wrote:
Clocian wrote:Time for coby to snatch ROTY

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

You're forgetting of Ja Morant,even in case of Zion having a season ending injury( which isn't the case) Morant would be the most likely ROY

Plus he is going to be starting and have full reign of the offense. Pick and roll with JJJ.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#50 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:i find it a bit odd when people say that the nba needs zion, needs a superstar, needs exciting players, needs hype.

I completely disagree.

Who are the best guys that still look like they have a long run way in their career left?

Giannis, Anthony Davis,
and.....

Kawhi is 28 and while young enough to theoretically have run way, he's already on severe load management. Maybe Damian Lillard (29) is still young enough to have four years, but hasn't been a star enough and unlikely to get better at this point.

Definitely a much weaker group than what was there five years ago as young stars.
@doug_thonus on twitter
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#51 » by GetBuLLish » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:48 pm

ZOMG wrote:I'll link this here as well. It clarifies why Zion is such an injury risk - his body balance is all messed up. The duck-like waddle walk alone is a giant red flag. If I had his knee alignment, I'd be afraid to play basketball.

Wow, glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I'd love to hear if the Pelicans have done anything to fix his gait, assuming that's even feasible at this point.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#52 » by transplant » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm

For the most part, I don't give a **** bad news for other teams. This is a little different. Like most fans, I looked forward to seeing him play. Hope it's just a thing and not a THING.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,515

Post#53 » by DuckIII » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:19 pm

I completely disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement. The NBA doesn’t “need” another star. But it needs an elite superstar who genuinely appears appreciative and isn’t a douchebag.

The NBA has a severe shortage of likeable superstars.

LeBron - I’ve come around on his personality but we all know the history.

Kawhi - Canada loves (loved?) him but he faked an injury and refused to play for a contender. He out-sissied Derek Rose.

Curry - Used to be super likeable. Now he dances and points in the faces of refs while laughing at them.

Harden - no comment needed.

Wade/Paul - Wade retired but he was a huge d-bag and Paul turned into one as well.

AD - also fakes an injury to force a trade to join the Lakers and LeBron.

Kyrie/Durant - both head cases.

Not every star player is an ass, but right now a large percentage of them are. The NBA could use a superstar that fans genuinely want to see succeed.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:41 pm

Agree Duck. I mean at the draft could Zion have been any more likable? Seriously, chumming with his former teammates, crying with his mom. Genuine appreciation. Zion is that guy most can pull for to succeed. He isn’t like Magic but has a little of that Magic and Shaq thing where you can smile with them.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#55 » by transplant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:09 am

DuckIII wrote:

I completely disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement. The NBA doesn’t “need” another star. But it needs an elite superstar who genuinely appears appreciative and isn’t a douchebag.

Kawhi - Canada loves (loved?) him but he faked an injury and refused to play for a contender. He out-sissied Derek Rose.

Curry - Used to be super likeable. Now he dances and points in the faces of refs while laughing at them.

Wade/Paul - Wade retired but he was a huge d-bag and Paul turned into one as well.

Not every star player is an ass, but right now a large percentage of them are. The NBA could use a superstar that fans genuinely want to see succeed.

As sycophants go, you're damned finicky.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by Ccwatercraft » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:22 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
ZOMG wrote:I'll link this here as well. It clarifies why Zion is such an injury risk - his body balance is all messed up. The duck-like waddle walk alone is a giant red flag. If I had his knee alignment, I'd be afraid to play basketball.

Wow, glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I'd love to hear if the Pelicans have done anything to fix his gait, assuming that's even feasible at this point.

he needed to have an 8 plate as a kid, would have fixed 95% of that. generally that is addressed much younger.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by Ccwatercraft » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:39 am

DuckIII wrote:

I completely disagree.

most fans havent even seen him play a game yet, or at best a couple of college games against subpar competition. no shortage of stars as you listed a few and there are more young guys that are due for coming out parties. we aren't starved for talent, I see plenty of guys that I want to see succeed.

hes a net positive for ratings and talent yes, but we weren't desperate.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#58 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:46 am

Scalaboner wrote:I still think he could become a bust. I’ll be the first to admit if I’m wrong, but his size and height will be a concern with both his health and how he will be throughout the year going against larger players in the paint and not having a jumper.

basketball wise, theirs not a thing about zion that says bust. The only concern is his health.
OnePointSeven
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#59 » by OnePointSeven » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm

As much as I wanted us to win the lottery to select Zion, I couldn't cheer for another superstar just to watch his career be derailed by injuries.

Obviously the jury's still out on Zion, but watching Drose blow his knee against the Sixers was really a trauma for me.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#60 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm

OnePointSeven wrote:As much as I wanted us to win the lottery to select Zion, I couldn't cheer for another superstar just to watch his career be derailed by injuries.

Obviously the jury's still out on Zion, but watching Drose blow his knee against the Sixers was really a trauma for me.

Yeah, I have zero respect for anyone who would "cheer" to see anyone's career derailed by injuries. That's simply psychotic behavior.

Return to Chicago Bulls