Image ImageImage Image

Lowe Predicts Bulls Make Playoffs and Otto Resigns

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Re: Lowe Predicts Bulls Make Playoffs and Otto Resigns 

Post#61 » by Evil_Headband » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
brentmoney wrote:
dice wrote:i will say that it would be very surprising if otto resigns. good chance he re-signs, though

huh?

pretty self explanatory.

resign: to voluntarily give up position, quit (example: I resigned from my job yesterday), or to accept something that is inevitable (example: I am resigned to the fact that my favorite baseball team is not going to make the playoffs)

re-sign: to sign again with the same team or company. (example- Otto Porter is expected to re-sign with the Bulls)

I've always gotten a kick out of how a missing hyphen results in basically the opposite meaning.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#62 » by Chi town » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Buddy Hield w 4/84. 4/94 with gettable incentives like top 10 in 3pt %.

This should set the market for Otto who is older and doesn’t have Buddy’s number. 4/80 would be ideal.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#63 » by kodo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Chi town wrote:Buddy Hield w 4/84. 4/94 with gettable incentives like top 10 in 3pt %.

This should set the market for Otto who is older and doesn’t have Buddy’s number. 4/80 would be ideal.

Otto is actually younger than Buddy. And a much better defender.

Not that I think Otto is going to get a huge contract after this, just that Buddy's contract is low due to how old he is. He'll hit 30 during this contract.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#64 » by coldfish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:24 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
mschmidt64 wrote:
What superstar can you get?

Dunno. Virtually every season, more than one of them gets traded and its frequently hard to predict who. I do know that *someone* will be available.

Chris Paul but hard pass on him.

The problem is that now we have no good upcoming free agents for the next few years, so I can't see anyone really becoming available. Harden maybe at seasons end or Giannis at seasons end. By the deadline though? Can't see it, too many big names were just free agents themselves and won't be asking out so quickly.

Pick out good players on mediocre teams. Try to find a team that is kind of stuck in mediocrity and may want to tank. Off the top of my head:
- Anthony Davis if the LA experiment goes badly
- Bradley Beal
- Someone on Phoenix like Holmes or Booker (is that really an upgrade?)
- An oddball like Sabonis from Indiana if the wheels fall off there
- Towns if he gets tired of losing
- and everyone's dream . . . Giannis

At the end of the day, there is going to only be a handful of truly competitive teams. There will be many guys with PER's over 20 not on those teams. Some of them will want to move. If Chicago looks like a young and upcoming team that can keep Lavine, Wendell, Coby, Sato and Thad then it might be pretty attractive. Chicago can't afford to make the same mistake it made with the Skiles Bulls where the team pops up and then just comes apart due to having too many cooks and a limited ceiling.

How does:
Sato / Arci
Lavine / White
MLE SF that can shoot or whomever you can get with Dunn+Val's expiring contracts
Towns / Thad
Wendell / Kornett
look to you?

Otto / Lauri + 3 firsts for Towns
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#65 » by FriedRise » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 pm

kodo wrote:Otto is actually younger than Buddy.

That's just crazy lol
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#66 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 pm

coldfish wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
Dunno. Virtually every season, more than one of them gets traded and its frequently hard to predict who. I do know that *someone* will be available.

Chris Paul but hard pass on him.

The problem is that now we have no good upcoming free agents for the next few years, so I can't see anyone really becoming available. Harden maybe at seasons end or Giannis at seasons end. By the deadline though? Can't see it, too many big names were just free agents themselves and won't be asking out so quickly.

Pick out good players on mediocre teams. Try to find a team that is kind of stuck in mediocrity and may want to tank. Off the top of my head:
- Bradley Beal

At the end of the day, there is going to only be a handful of truly competitive teams. There will be many guys with PER's over 20 not on those teams. Some of them will want to move. If Chicago looks like a young and upcoming team that can keep Lavine, Wendell, Coby, Sato and Thad then it might be pretty attractive. Chicago can't afford to make the same mistake it made with the Skiles Bulls where the team pops up and then just comes apart due to having too many cooks and a limited ceiling.

How does:
Sato / Arci
Lavine / White
MLE SF that can shoot or whomever you can get with Dunn+Val's expiring contracts
Towns / Thad
Wendell / Kornett
look to you?

Hard pass on Towns. Bulls have plenty of scoring. No team is ever going anywhere in the NBA with Towns as their 5. 5's who cannot guard PnR or protect the rim are worthless. Actually a detriment to any team as far as winning in the playoffs goes.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#67 » by coldfish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Chris Paul but hard pass on him.

- Bradley Beal

How does:
Sato / Arci
Lavine / White
Towns / Thad
Wendell / Kornett
look to you?

Hard pass on Towns. Bulls have plenty of scoring. No team is ever going anywhere in the NBA with Towns as their 5. 5's who cannot guard PnR or protect the rim are worthless. Actually a detriment to any team as far as winning in the playoffs goes.

So, would you rather have Lauri or Towns?

At the end of the day though, you probably aren't getting a guy who is already leading his team deep in the playoffs. You are going to have to take a risk and take on a guy who isn't perfect if you go this route.

As others are noting, the pickings on the FA market are extremely thin. There isn't much point in holding capspace. Either you develop from within and keep the team together or trade for someone.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#68 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

coldfish wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
- Bradley Beal

How does:
Sato / Arci
Lavine / White
Towns / Thad
Wendell / Kornett
look to you?

So, would you rather have Lauri or Towns?

At the end of the day though, you probably aren't getting a guy who is already leading his team deep in the playoffs. You are going to have to take a risk and take on a guy who isn't perfect if you go this route.

As others are noting, the pickings on the FA market are extremely thin. There isn't much point in holding capspace. Either you develop from within and keep the team together or trade for someone.

Lauri or Towns? Ask me after this season. Answer will likely be either Lauri or neither, unless Towns becomes a passable defender and grows a pair. Right now, he could be the Charmin mascot.

I would however rather have Otto on my team than Towns. I would certainly not trade Otto, Lauri AND three 1st's for a player I don't think you can win with. I think if you took Otto and Lauri off of the Bulls and simply replaced him with Towns, the team is worse. I think people are way overreacting to a few preseason games of Lauri. I just have a feeling in a couple of months some of the reactions to a lot of things about the preseason is going to be laughable.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#69 » by nomorezorro » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 pm

man, the buddy extension got my hopes up we could get otto at a relatively good price...and then the jaylen contract comes through and just ****s all over that
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#70 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:17 pm

nomorezorro wrote:man, the buddy extension got my hopes up we could get otto at a relatively good price...and then the jaylen contract comes through and just ****s all over that

Lol people need to reset expectations with the new NBA market especially with the scarcity of high tier wings (high tier as in above roleplayer but less than star level)
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#71 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:26 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:man, the buddy extension got my hopes up we could get otto at a relatively good price...and then the jaylen contract comes through and just ****s all over that

Lol people need to reset expectations with the new NBA market especially with the scarcity of high tier wings (high tier as in above roleplayer but less than star level)

Yeah, value contracts for high upside young players are going out the door. Zach LaVine was an ACL injury away from probably getting a bigger payday too.

It would be nice if Otto took a paycut, but that's probably not happening if the Bulls play well this season and he's a big part of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#72 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Yeah, value contracts for high upside young players are going out the door.

Zach LaVine was an ACL injury away from probably getting a bigger payday too.

Oh easily Zach would have gotten more. It was a blessing in disguise that Zach came back rusty from the ACL and was allowed to chuck. That lowered his value a good amount cause it confirmed other people's previous bias against him.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#73 » by Indomitable » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:33 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Oh easily Zach would have gotten more. It was a blessing in disguise that Zach came back rusty from the ACL and was allowed to chuck. That lowered his value a good amount cause it confirmed other people's previous bias against him.

The ACL is the reason why we got him anyway.
:banghead:
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#74 » by keloms » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Rebuild was a complete waste of time if the top 3 after it ends up being Lavine, Lauri, and Porter.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#75 » by dice » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm

FriedRise wrote:

That's just crazy lol

not only has otto been in the league significantly longer, but otto is an old man name as well...buddy might be too, though it's also a generic name for kids and pets
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#76 » by dice » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Indomitable wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

The ACL is the reason why we got him anyway.

I dunno about that. they certainly weren't ready to give up on wiggins, and thibs really wanted jimmy
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#77 » by nomorezorro » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:05 pm

PaKii94 wrote:

i just thought it was possible for otto to go for the same rate or less than buddy, considering buddy is coming off an elite 3pt season in terms of volume/percentages. otto is a more well-rounded player than buddy so that might have been wishful thinking, but i think there are probably a decent number of people who would take buddy over otto

i think otto is a much better player than jaylen brown (albeit without the sliver of upside potential), so that contract was specifically deflating. i am a jaylen skeptic, though, so maybe that's skewing my take on things

all of the other rookie extensions today have felt relatively reasonable so i'm still not taking it as a guarantee we'll have to overpay to keep him. (but at this rate, he's going to be the only guy on the market if he opts out, so...)
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#78 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

i just thought it was possible for otto to go for the same rate or less than buddy, considering buddy is coming off an elite 3pt season in terms of volume/percentages. otto is a more well-rounded player than buddy so that might have been wishful thinking, but i think there are probably a decent number of people who would take buddy over otto

i think otto is a much better player than jaylen brown (albeit without the sliver of upside potential), so that contract was specifically deflating. i am a jaylen skeptic, though, so maybe that's skewing my take on things

all of the other rookie extensions today have felt relatively reasonable so i'm still not taking it as a guarantee we'll have to overpay to keep him. (but at this rate, he's going to be the only guy on the market if he opts out, so...)

Technically last year was an off season for OPJ. OPJ for the years before that was one of the top 5 3 point shooters. Also consider OPJ is actually one year younger than him. Here is his stats comparison for 24 year old OPJ vs 25 year old Buddy:
http://bkref.com/tiny/GJPz9

OPJ was pretty much better than him in all aspects besides raw points and 3 point volume... and even then OPJ had a higher TS%
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#79 » by erlim » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:23 am

ZOMG wrote:
erlim wrote:
ZOMG wrote:So... they just casually throw this one out there:

Read on Twitter

Otto Porter just turned 26. Now he's being rested for back-to-backs like he's Embiid. I don't know about you, but I don't like the sound of that at all.

It's clear this has something to do with his chronic hip condition - you know, the one the Bulls probably will ignore and give him a new 100+ million deal.

You must be right, obviously there's nothing wrong with his hip! :nod:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2018/01/08/after-otto-porter-jr-sits-due-to-pain-wizards-carefully-managing-recurring-issue/

I am saying there is something wrong with his hip and the Bulls’ medical staff are horrible.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#80 » by meekrab » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm

FriedRise wrote:

That's just crazy lol

This used to happen all the time with other team's fans and Taj Gibson. :lol:

Return to Chicago Bulls