Image ImageImage Image

Sabonis?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Sabonis? 

Post#21 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:01 am

I like Sabonis a lot, but we are pretty covered with our bigs. We desperately need more talented wing players though.
Why so serious?
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#22 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am

Surprised people are so against the idea of obtaining a good young player as if he's some scrub. He may not make sense as far as perfect fit with what the team is missing, but if you can trade away scraps (Valentine and/or Hutchison) I'd be all for it even if it is just for 1 year
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,397

Post#23 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 pm

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:Surprised people are so against the idea of obtaining a good young player as if he's some scrub. He may not make sense as far as perfect fit with what the team is missing, but if you can trade away scraps (Valentine and/or Hutchison) I'd be all for it even if it is just for 1 year

I think anyone would be willing to trade scraps for him but that simply isn’t going to be the case. They are not dumping him for hutch or valentine. Pacers are going to get way better offers than that.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#24 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
RakimAbdulJabar wrote:Surprised people are so against the idea of obtaining a good young player as if he's some scrub. He may not make sense as far as perfect fit with what the team is missing, but if you can trade away scraps (Valentine and/or Hutchison) I'd be all for it even if it is just for 1 year

I think anyone would be willing to trade scraps for him but that simply isn’t going to be the case. They are not dumping him for hutch or valentine. Pacers are going to get way better offers than that.

Obviously they should, I’m going off some of the responses on here though that make him sound undesirable.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#25 » by ZOMG » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 pm

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Obviously they should, I’m going off some of the responses on here though that make him sound undesirable.

Sabonis is a good player, but he's also a pretty traditional center with below average athleticism. He provides no long range shooting at all, which is like kryptonite to teams these days.

The Pacers will get some offers but they're also about to discover that the value of Sabonis around the league is not necessarily what they're hoping.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#26 » by StunnerKO » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#27 » by bledredwine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 pm

This is my opinion as well.

Sabonis is young and could very well become great. He has potential.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#28 » by sco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like Sabonis, but IMO, spending $19M/yr on a smart, solid 3rd quartile starting C who doesn't block shots or make 3's seems inefficient in today's NBA. Glad the Pacers did it, and they had little choice.
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,397

Post#29 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

It’s interesting. I wonder if the Pacers just floated the idea to see if any team was willing to jump before the magic and the Knicks have their mid season fire sale.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#30 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:26 am

Michael Jackson wrote:It’s interesting. I wonder if the Pacers just floated the idea to see if any team was willing to jump before the magic and the Knicks have their mid season fire sale.

For the Knicks, given this is almost a perennial thing, shouldn't it just be called "the regularly scheduled mid season portfolio rebalancing" or something innocuous like that? I think that betters conveys the reality. Otherwise, it's like the mattress stores or rug stores that constantly have SALE signs in their windows while everyone knows that "50% off everything must go" salesmanship is just BAU.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#31 » by kodo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 am

It's interesting to pay Sabonis that much given he & Turner don't play together. Last season they were on the floor together for about 120 minutes. Both are centers, two center lineups are pretty rare these days.

Well he's a high IQ guy, I guess they'll assume he'll find some way of making it work.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:08 am

Surprised the Pacers ended up doing this. Sabonis is everything you don't want from an NBA center these days. Crocodile armed, non shooting, non switchable, overall defensively challenged bruiser.

Man, some people on this board are going to be enraged when Lauri gets his inevitable 140 million deal.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#33 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 pm

ZOMG wrote:Surprised the Pacers ended up doing this. Sabonis is everything you don't want from an NBA center these days. Crocodile armed, non shooting, non switchable, overall defensively challenged bruiser.

Man, some people on this board are going to be enraged when Lauri gets his inevitable 140 million deal.

I think there's a good chance he gets the max and a low chance that it makes sense.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#34 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:29 pm

77/4?

Wow!

Paying a bench guy more than Myles Turner?

That's gonna help team chemistry :lol:

at least Jaylen Brown knows what his minimum ask is now.,....
get out the checkbook Danny....
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:77/4?

Wow!

Paying a bench guy more than Myles Turner?

That's gonna help team chemistry :lol:

at least Jaylen Brown knows what his minimum ask is now.,....
get out the checkbook Danny....

Sabonis will apparently start this season.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#36 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:38 pm

oh and I missed this.....

Read on Twitter

drat. I was hoping somehow he ended up here. Love that kid.

Read on Twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#37 » by coldfish » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 pm

dougthonus wrote:
ZOMG wrote:Surprised the Pacers ended up doing this. Sabonis is everything you don't want from an NBA center these days. Crocodile armed, non shooting, non switchable, overall defensively challenged bruiser.

I think there's a good chance he gets the max and a low chance that it makes sense.

If Lauri doesn't improve, it has a chance to be a Derrick Rose like max contract without the knee injuries.

Fortunately they don't have to make the decision now but next offseason will likely be the last chance to trade him and get some value before he gets his extension. If he doesn't look like a good value max deal this year, Chicago should trade him for whatever they can get next offseason.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 pm

coldfish wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

If Lauri doesn't improve, it has a chance to be a Derrick Rose like max contract without the knee injuries.

Fortunately they don't have to make the decision now but next offseason will likely be the last chance to trade him and get some value before he gets his extension. If he doesn't look like a good value max deal this year, Chicago should trade him for whatever they can get next offseason.

Then again: Lauri averaged almost 20 and 10 last season. That's a max player in this league, at this point in time. What if he just replicates that production but doesn't improve in any way?

I'll tell you what: in that case Lauri's getting paid, big time. By the Bulls.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#39 » by coldfish » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 pm

ZOMG wrote:
coldfish wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Then again: Lauri averaged almost 20 and 10 last season. That's a max player in this league, at this point in time. What if he just replicates that production but doesn't improve in any way?

Probably true and if he plays like last year, that will be a huge franchise impediment for the length of his contract. The stories of guys like this getting big contracts and their teams almost immediately regretting it are legion. I bet Boston is choking on that Jaylen Brown contract by Christmas.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/10/18/report-kings-have-already-expressed-remorse-over-harrison-barnes-five-year-88m-contract-signed-this-summer/

There is one with the Kings talking about regretting the Barnes deal before he even plays a game.

Hopefully we get Februlauri all year round and when he gets his max extension, we all celebrate it.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#40 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 pm

ZOMG wrote:Then again: Lauri averaged almost 20 and 10 last season. That's a max player in this league, at this point in time. What if he just replicates that production but doesn't improve in any way?

Lauri vs Randle

Not sure that's really true. Randle with greater volume and efficiency than Lauri last year and rebounded at a higher rebound rate while showing more passing ability and wasn't remotely a max player.

Lauri doesn't check any notable boxes that Randle doesn't.

Who knows what will happen with Lauri, but I don't think the Randle comparison is far off if Lauri doesn't improve.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls