Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Re: NBA Trade Thread 

Post#1981 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:39 pm

gobullschi wrote:I’m all aboard the Tobias Harris train, especially because we can get additional draft picks. B/c of COVID, teams scouting reports are going to be all over the map, which could allow some guys to fall further than they should.

OPJ for Tobias Harris, #21, #34, & #36.

I'd do that trade if we manage to flip Markannen for a pick.
Harris is a pretty good player, even if overpaid, and no matter how much people fool themselves thinking otherwise, no good FA is coming here for at least a couple of years (until we prove we changed most of our ways). When he's an expiring (or even a year before), he won't be hard to dump if necessary.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,024

Post#1982 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:18 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Way deeper and more complex than that. Of course Herro is benefiting as a 3rd option. Of course Lavine would look better picking his spots.

The major issue is this Herro has sky high IQ. Lavine has barely any. Herro is already a good defender and Lavine has improved but is still awful off ball.

Herro will win you more games now and in the future. Give me that rookie contract and I’d play him 35mpg and then use the space to have two max slots.

When a player is the third option or the microwave 6th man they excel partly because they don't have the pressure of being #1. They aren't the focus of the defense, they play a lot of minutes against the other team's bench. But when some coach or GM overreacts and thinks that guy can be OUR #1 guy, trades away the older #1 guy or trades for the microwave it just isn't that same dynamic and it doesn't work, wrong guy to fit into the wrong situation.. Also just because a guy is lights out for 22 minutes a game doesn't mean he can sustain that level of play when he gets thrust into playing 35 minutes a game. For a variety of reason, maybe he is used to going full bore for those 22 minutes but can't understand how to pace himself to play the same way for 35.

You see it in the NFL with receivers. A guy is a great slot receiver for a great offense so some team trades for him because they need a #1 wideout, But the guy can't run the routes at the new position, the QB isn't the as good, doesn't have the connection to the new guy that the other QB built over 5 years.

Why cant he exactly sustain 35 minutes?
He already played heavy starter minutes in the rs and did well. What I like abt him is that he is a sharpshooter that knows his limitations. Already more playoff proven and didnt disappoint. Cant really even ask him to be a number 1 option when he is Ray allen mold. Its not abt whose better. Its abt who performs well relative to the contract and Herro gives 80% of Lavine at chump change to create 2 max space. Miami wont even trade him for Lavine tho.

And Herro is a rookie. He's light years ahead of Lavine as a rookie in every facet of the game.

Contract makes it a no brainer. No way Heat will be trading him unless its in a package for Giannis or a star.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1983 » by gobullschi » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:56 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:
gobullschi wrote:I’m all aboard the Tobias Harris train, especially because we can get additional draft picks. B/c of COVID, teams scouting reports are going to be all over the map, which could allow some guys to fall further than they should.

OPJ for Tobias Harris, #21, #34, & #36.

I'd do that trade if we manage to flip Markannen for a pick.
Harris is a pretty good player, even if overpaid, and no matter how much people fool themselves thinking otherwise, no good FA is coming here for at least a couple of years (until we prove we changed most of our ways). When he's an expiring (or even a year before), he won't be hard to dump if necessary.

Completely agree with your analysis on free agents. Until the Bulls actually make the playoffs, no star free agent is going to come here. If OPJ has a decent year, he may command a similar type of contract has TH anyways. No one ever talks about how many teams have cap space next year. Guys are going to get overpaid.

I’d really like to see what this line up can do and hopefully Markkanen has a bounce back year, so Bulls can flip him for a player in the 2021 draft class or as part of a bigger package for a star.

Coby White
Zach LaVine
Tobias Harris
Lauri Markkanen
Wendell Carter Jr.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,542

Post#1984 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:22 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:Guys, the draft is mostly a crapshoot.
It's fun to speculate about projections, but going after people just because they disagreed with your assessment a year before seems petty to me.

Lol I wasn't going after him. It was actually the other way around. But it doesn't matter anyway
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1985 » by GimmeDat » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:10 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:Guys, the draft is mostly a crapshoot.
It's fun to speculate about projections, but going after people just because they disagreed with your assessment a year before seems petty to me.

Lol I wasn't going after him. It was actually the other way around. But it doesn't matter anyway

We're all good, didn't take it that way either. Just saying I think we should give it more time before properly looking back on past drafts.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#1986 » by mack2354 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:22 am

I wonder if Houston would be open to trading Westbrook for pennies if they lose to the Lakers. The Rockets have tried getting the ball out of Harden's hands less by using both Chris Paul and then Westbrook. If they get bounced they may want to experiment again with a new approach.

I wonder if a combination of Lauri, OPJ, and picks would interest them. They add more shooters and get a chance to draft some young talent. Everyone on this board says Lavine is better off ball and Coby White is more of a scoring guard than a floor general. We add Westbrook and have one of the fastest, up tempo back courts in the league. At the very least it would be entertaining.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#1987 » by Andi Obst » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:55 am

mack2354 wrote:I wonder if Houston would be open to trading Westbrook for pennies if they lose to the Lakers. The Rockets have tried getting the ball out of Harden's hands less by using both Chris Paul and then Westbrook. If they get bounced they may want to experiment again with a new approach.

I wonder if a combination of Lauri, OPJ, and picks would interest them. They add more shooters and get a chance to draft some young talent. Everyone on this board says Lavine is better off ball and Coby White is more of a scoring guard than a floor general. We add Westbrook and have one of the fastest, up tempo back courts in the league. At the very least it would be entertaining.

I wouldn't even do Westbrook for OPJ straight up.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#1988 » by Grodoboldo » Mon Sep 7, 2020 1:59 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
mack2354 wrote:I wonder if Houston would be open to trading Westbrook for pennies if they lose to the Lakers. The Rockets have tried getting the ball out of Harden's hands less by using both Chris Paul and then Westbrook. If they get bounced they may want to experiment again with a new approach.

I wouldn't even do Westbrook for OPJ straight up.

If we're that set on ruining this franchise with Westbrook leading the boat on a 40+mil/yrs deal, might as well bring GarPax and Boylen back, extend Felicio and sell our picks.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#1989 » by mack2354 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:17 pm

Westbrook had a great stretch from about New Years to when the season was shut down. He looked like his peak MVP self. He has been recovering from injuries so his current play really isn't a fair representation of the player he still is. No one on our roster minus Lavine and White are close to being the player Westbrook is. Whoever we draft at 4 won't be either.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1990 » by Andi Obst » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:55 pm

mack2354 wrote:Westbrook had a great stretch from about New Years to when the season was shut down. He looked like his peak MVP self. He has been recovering from injuries so his current play really isn't a fair representation of the player he still is. No one on our roster minus Lavine and White are close to being the player Westbrook is. Whoever we draft at 4 won't be either.

Not denying that he had a great run there, but his season was still mediocre overall. Offensively, there is one style of play that can make him effective (space the floor, let him attack the rim, pray he doesn't fall in love with his pull up jumpers) and he's always going to be a liability on the other end. He's not a superstar level player. The argument that we don't have better players is weird to me. I mean, yeah, but that doesn't mean you settle for an aging Westbrook right now.

He also has more and more minor injuries, which is not surprising considering his playstyle. That's unlikely to get better. Add that he is going to make 47 mil (!!!) in 22/23 and I'm completely out on him, at any price.

Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#1991 » by Grodoboldo » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:02 pm

mack2354 wrote:Westbrook had a great stretch from about New Years to when the season was shut down. He looked like his peak MVP self. He has been recovering from injuries so his current play really isn't a fair representation of the player he still is. No one on our roster minus Lavine and White are close to being the player Westbrook is. Whoever we draft at 4 won't be either.

Well, if Markannen was the player he appeared to be during some runs, we'd already have our franchise player. Statistical anomalies occur during a season.
Westbrook was a great player. Was. But he's still being paid like one. I still don't get how Houston actually paid to trade him for Paul.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#1992 » by MrSparkle » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:36 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:

Well, if Markannen was the player he appeared to be during some runs, we'd already have our franchise player. Statistical anomalies occur during a season.
Westbrook was a great player. Was. But he's still being paid like one. I still don't get how Houston actually paid to trade him for Paul.

OKC has quite a war-chest of future FRPs coming. HOU's are only top-4 protected, so unless Harden is still hooping out his mind in 2026, there's a good chance OKC gets some lotto picks out of this. I also don't get how Morey paid so much for the swap. In the end, he gave up half a decade of picks for an athlete on the decline vs. a high-IQ PG.

To be fair, CP3 was considered a $45m deadweight a year ago. I think Morey saw value in going 4 years younger with his PG. Thing is, a hyper-athlete's game doesn't age well compared to a floor-general's.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,271

Post#1993 » by kodo » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:37 pm

Bulls have to think long term, we're years out from being relevant. And while Westbrook the player can run hot & cold, his contract is always going to be horrible until 2023.

I also don't think he'll look better here, HOU surrounds him with veteran 3 shooters who know their role and how to play with an iso heavy guard. I don't know how AK will shape the roster, but most of this year we rarely had enough shooting threats out on the floor.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1994 » by Chi town » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:38 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:

Morey was banking of CP3 being hurt.

Not a bad bet just not worth 1sts. He didn’t bet on Westbrook getting so signed up either.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1995 » by Andi Obst » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:20 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:Westbrook was a great player. Was. But he's still being paid like one. I still don't get how Houston actually paid to trade him for Paul.

Pretty sure that had to do with the reported issues between Paul and Harden. There is no other way to explain to me why Morey of all people would think Westbrook is going to be better than Paul for them, let alone so much better that he is worth the picks they added.

Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#1996 » by Grodoboldo » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:25 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:Westbrook was a great player. Was. But he's still being paid like one. I still don't get how Houston actually paid to trade him for Paul.

Pretty sure that had to do with the reported issues between Paul and Harden. There is no other way to explain to me why Morey of all people would think Westbrook is going to be better than Paul for them, let alone so much better that he is worth the picks they added.

It always amazes me that the player themselves never have to answer for personal problems after they sign multi-million dollar contracts. Don't like your coworker for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the franchise? Well, you're free to pay off your contract and play elsewhere, or even retire.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1997 » by Chi town » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:30 pm

Chi town wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:
When a player is the third option or the microwave 6th man they excel partly because they don't have the pressure of being #1. They aren't the focus of the defense, they play a lot of minutes against the other team's bench. But when some coach or GM overreacts and thinks that guy can be OUR #1 guy, trades away the older #1 guy or trades for the microwave it just isn't that same dynamic and it doesn't work, wrong guy to fit into the wrong situation.. Also just because a guy is lights out for 22 minutes a game doesn't mean he can sustain that level of play when he gets thrust into playing 35 minutes a game. For a variety of reason, maybe he is used to going full bore for those 22 minutes but can't understand how to pace himself to play the same way for 35.

You see it in the NFL with receivers. A guy is a great slot receiver for a great offense so some team trades for him because they need a #1 wideout, But the guy can't run the routes at the new position, the QB isn't the as good, doesn't have the connection to the new guy that the other QB built over 5 years.

Why cant he exactly sustain 35 minutes?
He already played heavy starter minutes in the rs and did well. What I like abt him is that he is a sharpshooter that knows his limitations. Already more playoff proven and didnt disappoint. Cant really even ask him to be a number 1 option when he is Ray allen mold. Its not abt whose better. Its abt who performs well relative to the contract and Herro gives 80% of Lavine at chump change to create 2 max space. Miami wont even trade him for Lavine tho.

And Herro is a rookie. He's light years ahead of Lavine as a rookie in every facet of the game.

Contract makes it a no brainer. No way Heat will be trading him unless its in a package for Giannis or a star.

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#1998 » by CjayC » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:18 pm

It's probably been proposed already, but would you guys do OPJ+#4 to the Warriors for Wiggins+#2?

I'd like to think the team will be peaking around the time Wiggins is an expiring. The contract is a negative, but he does still fill a need for a wing on our end. On Golden State's end they got the cap space for Giannis and OPJ fits their style of play in the meantime.

If Giannis is determined to go there, I'm also aware that a sign & trade for him is probably the best for Milwaukee so that they don't lose Giannis for nothing.

Overall I'm a fan of standing pat, I don't think this is the draft to trade up for in, but would you do it?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#1999 » by sco » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:45 pm

CjayC wrote:It's probably been proposed already, but would you guys do OPJ+#4 to the Warriors for Wiggins+#2?

I'd like to think the team will be peaking around the time Wiggins is an expiring. The contract is a negative, but he does still fill a need for a wing on our end. On Golden State's end they got the cap space for Giannis and OPJ fits their style of play in the meantime.

If Giannis is determined to go there, I'm also aware that a sign & trade for him is probably the best for Milwaukee so that they don't lose Giannis for nothing.

Overall I'm a fan of standing pat, I don't think this is the draft to trade up for in, but would you do it?

Most folks here are not fans of Wiggins and his contract.
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#2000 » by MrSparkle » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:47 pm

I wonder if OKC doubles their future stash by selling high on their guys. I feel like Paul, Schroder, Shai and one FRP would be a fair offer for Simmons, Horford and Zaire. They can also sell high on Gallinari in a S&T, and Adams can fetch something decent too.

They’ll have SO many FRPs. Like, even more than Hinkie Philly had.

Return to Chicago Bulls