Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, DASMACKDOWN, Payt10, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23

User avatar
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 9,531
Joined: Nov 02, 2013
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1801 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:01 am

othawhitemeat wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:The fact that we couldn't land Trae or Luka is gonna set us back atleast 5 good seasons.....

I'm so glad we got a new GM. We need better moves to be made.

Wendell isn't in the same league as either player.


Nobody ever said, thought, or gave the impression that Wendell would be. The Bulls didn't have the assets to trade to move up for either Young or Doncic. You can blame management for a lot of things but blaming them for not drafting players who weren't on the board when they picked is unnecessary.


I thought we xould have had either by using the 22nd pick we used on Chandler Hutch.


The Bulls had no trade partner. Atlanta was all in on Trae Young and they were not going to move back to #7 which would have been after Orlando picked, who would've selected Young.

The Bulls simply lucked out.
User avatar
rtblues
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,515
And1: 2,287
Joined: Jul 12, 2008

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1802 » by rtblues » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:49 am

rtblues wrote:Leandro Bolmaro - FC Barcelona - 19 years old - 6-6/180 - SG
Not a perfect player, but I do see a lot of upside here. Good skill-set.
Playing against grown-ass men in the best league in Europe at 19.
Lacks some athletic ability, but he can defend. He seems to find a way.
A poor-man's Luka?

Here's a bit on him:

Here's a post from April that I posted that was shot-down/ignored. Now I am seeing his name is back in the discussion.
He's got a unique skill set, size and just didn't get much coverage in the USA.
Thinking about how the Rui Hachimora pick at #9 was scoffed at when he selected and how Rui looks to be a pretty good pick at 9.
Of course there were some decent names after him, but few thought Hirro would be as good as he's been. Anyways, I see Bolmaro having a career as rotation player on good teams, and a possible starter on a bad team. Not saying he's great but gotta look under every rock in the draft since it's very important when you have little-to-no-chance of signing any name F/As, so gotta get it right.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
User avatar
TheSuzerain
RealGM
Posts: 12,929
And1: 8,103
Joined: Mar 29, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1803 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:27 pm

the ultimates wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:The fact that we couldn't land Trae or Luka is gonna set us back atleast 5 good seasons.....

I'm so glad we got a new GM. We need better moves to be made.

Wendell isn't in the same league as either player.


Nobody ever said, thought, or gave the impression that Wendell would be. The Bulls didn't have the assets to trade to move up for either Young or Doncic. You can blame management for a lot of things but blaming them for not drafting players who weren't on the board when they picked is unnecessary.

The problem was picking #7 in the first place. First year of a rebuild we should have been picking top 4.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,471
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1804 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:27 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:The fact that we couldn't land Trae or Luka is gonna set us back atleast 5 good seasons.....

I'm so glad we got a new GM. We need better moves to be made.

Wendell isn't in the same league as either player.


Nobody ever said, thought, or gave the impression that Wendell would be. The Bulls didn't have the assets to trade to move up for either Young or Doncic. You can blame management for a lot of things but blaming them for not drafting players who weren't on the board when they picked is unnecessary.

The problem was picking #7 in the first place. First year of a rebuild we should have been picking top 4.


It could have been worse- we could have traded up and taken Bamba.
User avatar
TheFinishSniper
Veteran
Posts: 2,963
And1: 2,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2018
Location: Earth
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1805 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:26 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
othawhitemeat wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Nobody ever said, thought, or gave the impression that Wendell would be. The Bulls didn't have the assets to trade to move up for either Young or Doncic. You can blame management for a lot of things but blaming them for not drafting players who weren't on the board when they picked is unnecessary.


I thought we xould have had either by using the 22nd pick we used on Chandler Hutch.


The Bulls had no trade partner. Atlanta was all in on Trae Young and they were not going to move back to #7 which would have been after Orlando picked, who would've selected Young.

The Bulls simply lucked out.

Story of last 22 years
“If you were grading rebuilds and dropped in on the United Center on Wednesday night, you saw one team flying up the court, launching 3-pointers, sharing the ball and generally looking like it was having a lot of fun. And then you saw the Bulls.”
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 13,797
And1: 8,593
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1806 » by kodo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:05 pm

othawhitemeat wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:The fact that we couldn't land Trae or Luka is gonna set us back atleast 5 good seasons.....

I'm so glad we got a new GM. We need better moves to be made.

Wendell isn't in the same league as either player.


Nobody ever said, thought, or gave the impression that Wendell would be. The Bulls didn't have the assets to trade to move up for either Young or Doncic. You can blame management for a lot of things but blaming them for not drafting players who weren't on the board when they picked is unnecessary.


I thought we xould have had either by using the 22nd pick we used on Chandler Hutch.


Atlanta has no reason to take the #7 + #22 when Dallas offered #5 + 2 future 1st rounders from a terrible team, projected to be top 10 picks at the time.

Even if Chicago offered our own two future 1st rounders, we're still worse because Dallas can give #5 over #7.

This doesn't even take into account what Orlando offered for Doncic, starting with #6.
User avatar
Grodoboldo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,464
And1: 908
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Sao Paulo
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1807 » by Grodoboldo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:40 pm

I kinda get the fascination with Wiseman. I mean, you can't teach size, and he could become a defensive anchor while still being a skilled offensive player (while that's really hard to assess in 3 college games).

But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.
I don't know anything about college basketball. I would rather trade down/out. My Bulls big board for the 2020 Draft (as of August 10th):
1-Edwards; 2-Hayes; 3-Ball; 4-Avdija; 5-Toppin; 6-Haliburton; 7-Nesmith; 8-Vassell; 9-Maledon; 10-Williams.
Little Nathan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,116
And1: 3,700
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: Germany
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1808 » by Little Nathan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:59 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.


Yup, which is exactly why I don't get the fascination with Wiseman.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 17,303
And1: 3,622
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1809 » by Chi town » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:43 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.


Yup, which is exactly why I don't get the fascination with Wiseman.


Wouldn’t touch Wiseman and I’m all for trading WCJ and Lauri for a solid return. Don’t see them ever succeeding together.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,260
And1: 3,305
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1810 » by Fischella » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:37 am

My Bulls' centric Draft board would be (let's say top10 cause it's unlikely you drop 4 spots really, although possible)

LaMelo Ball
Obi Toppin/Deni Avdija (can't decide, have Toppin ahead but Deni would require less moving pieces)

gap

Aleksej Pokusevski (via trade down)
Anthony Edwards

gap

Killian Hayes
Devin Vassell/Patrick Williams (probably via trade down)
Grant Riller (via trade down)
Cole Anthony
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,260
And1: 3,305
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1811 » by Fischella » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:41 am

Bolmaro is decently athletic, he just can't shoot
User avatar
JohnnyTapwater
Veteran
Posts: 2,623
And1: 1,126
Joined: Nov 06, 2009
Location: Chicago
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1812 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:32 pm

I have a feelings AK is fully aware of Aleksej Pokusevski.

And that excites me.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
Posts: 6,861
And1: 1,484
Joined: Jun 22, 2004
Location: New York
Contact:
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1814 » by CoreyVillains » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:21 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:I kinda get the fascination with Wiseman. I mean, you can't teach size, and he could become a defensive anchor while still being a skilled offensive player (while that's really hard to assess in 3 college games).

But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.



To be fair. Joel Embiid did just put up 41 and 21 and was +21 last night. It’s a risk with Wiseman but I think he’s one of the guys where the risk is worth taking.
Little Nathan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,116
And1: 3,700
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: Germany
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1815 » by Little Nathan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:28 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:I kinda get the fascination with Wiseman. I mean, you can't teach size, and he could become a defensive anchor while still being a skilled offensive player (while that's really hard to assess in 3 college games).

But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.



To be fair. Joel Embiid did just put up 41 and 21 and was +21 last night. It’s a risk with Wiseman but I think he’s one of the guys where the risk is worth taking.


I mean, yeah, but Wiseman is not even close to being Embiid as a talent IMO. Wiseman just doesn't have the skill Embiid showed pre-draft. On both ends, too.
StunnerKO
Veteran
Posts: 2,772
And1: 1,864
Joined: Sep 25, 2017

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1817 » by StunnerKO » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:01 pm

Wiseman does have similarities to Whiteside with possibly a lil more offensive upside in terms of shooting
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,215
And1: 1,872
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1818 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:53 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:I kinda get the fascination with Wiseman. I mean, you can't teach size, and he could become a defensive anchor while still being a skilled offensive player (while that's really hard to assess in 3 college games).

But having the NBA back and watching all of these wings/guards running endless P&R among them, scoring in bunches and having a single 6'9 guy as a "center" really reminds me why using high picks on bigs is a dangerous proposition in building a team.



To be fair. Joel Embiid did just put up 41 and 21 and was +21 last night. It’s a risk with Wiseman but I think he’s one of the guys where the risk is worth taking.


I mean, yeah, but Wiseman is not even close to being Embiid as a talent IMO. Wiseman just doesn't have the skill Embiid showed pre-draft. On both ends, too.


Say what now? Wiseman is a better prospect than Embiid coming out.
Little Nathan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,116
And1: 3,700
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: Germany
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1819 » by Little Nathan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:55 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:

To be fair. Joel Embiid did just put up 41 and 21 and was +21 last night. It’s a risk with Wiseman but I think he’s one of the guys where the risk is worth taking.


I mean, yeah, but Wiseman is not even close to being Embiid as a talent IMO. Wiseman just doesn't have the skill Embiid showed pre-draft. On both ends, too.


Say what now? Wiseman is a better prospect than Embiid coming out.


I will completely disagree on that. Wiseman is nowhere near Embiid in terms of skill for me. If he was, he would be going first in this draft with no questions asked.
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,215
And1: 1,872
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1820 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:59 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
I mean, yeah, but Wiseman is not even close to being Embiid as a talent IMO. Wiseman just doesn't have the skill Embiid showed pre-draft. On both ends, too.


Say what now? Wiseman is a better prospect than Embiid coming out.


I will completely disagree on that. Wiseman isn't close to Embiid for me. If he was, he would be going first in this draft with no questions asked.


You must remember Embiid's draft year wrong then. He had question marks all around him.
Had a questionable offensive game(his best season was 13 ppg in his senior year of HS), the defense was seen as something that would translate but they weren't sure he could be a DPOY candidate or just solid.
Injury concerns, maturity concerns and etc.

If Wiseman played a full season, he's probably going #1. That's not a slight at Edwards either.
The question about Wiseman is the small sample size and can his offensive game translate to the current structure of the NBA.

Return to Chicago Bulls