Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1881 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Jvaughn wrote:
othawhitemeat wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:
He's kind of an enigma. He's a great shooter. Both spot up and I'm the move. He's a solid defender with pretty good potential to keep improving. Those are the positives. Now on the negative side, he's not a plus athlete, struggles at finishing, and doesn't give you much in the creating department. Now I can see him ending up as a Khris Middleton as his ceiling if his ball handling improves, but I can just as easily see him becoming a slightly better Tony Snell. If we trade down, I'd definitely take a chance on him if Vassell is already gone in that mid 1st range.

Hes not Tony Snell in any imagination. Tony did not play at a high major, shoot 50% from three and was timid. This guy was the best player in the SEC last year.

Yes his 3pt% is much higher than Snell's was, but as for what his impact may be at the next level, I standby my position. Just my opinion.

He's not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination due to the limitations I mentioned. If he were, he wouldn't be projected as a mid 1st round pick in a bad draft.

I am not saying he is a sure thing, but just that they are totally different players. I do think he will be a steal anywhere outside of top 10 of this draft. I do feel he is one of the safer bets in the draft. Not a great ball-handler, but an above average athlete that can shoot. Solid d. I could see a Joe Harris type if he does not max out potential which is a good player.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#1882 » by Grodoboldo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 am

Leslie Forman wrote:So why is this Aaron Nesmith kid only expected to go in the mid-teens? This league wants shooters. This draft is full of guys who can't shoot. This guy is a goddamn shooter. Is he really that bad at everything else? Because on the surface he seems like an absolutely clear sleeper pick.

Sorry if I can't +1 you more than once. Please accept this quote as a gift.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1883 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 am

Jvaughn wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:So why is this Aaron Nesmith kid only expected to go in the mid-teens? This league wants shooters. This draft is full of guys who can't shoot. This guy is a goddamn shooter. Is he really that bad at everything else? Because on the surface he seems like an absolutely clear sleeper pick.

He's kind of an enigma. He's a great shooter. Both spot up and I'm the move. He's a solid defender with pretty good potential to keep improving. Those are the positives. Now on the negative side, he's not a plus athlete, struggles at finishing, and doesn't give you much in the creating department. Now I can see him ending up as a Khris Middleton as his ceiling if his ball handling improves, but I can just as easily see him becoming a slightly better Tony Snell. If we trade down, I'd definitely take a chance on him if Vassell is already gone in that mid 1st range.

If he can shoot like he does, and he actually defends too…this dude's gotta be an easy top-10 pick, if not even higher, in a draft this awful, no? Because I'm not seeing why all these dudes who can't shoot are ranked above him. It's pretty clear how useless wings who can't shoot are in this league.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1884 » by Jvaughn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:18 am

Leslie Forman wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

If he can shoot like he does, and he actually defends too…this dude's gotta be an easy top-10 pick, if not even higher, in a draft this awful, no? Because I'm not seeing why all these dudes who can't shoot are ranked above him. It's pretty clear how useless wings who can't shoot are in this league.

His lack of athleticism (he's not above average by NBA standards) is what's holding him back. Also he's a decent defender now, but his lateral quickness issues are going to affect him on ball. I think he'll still be a good team defender though. That in addition to the finishing issues probably have scouts questioning his effectiveness at the next level. I do feel like he'd probably rise a bit if we had the combine and traditional workouts.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#1885 » by othawhitemeat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am

Jvaughn wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

His lack of athleticism (he's not above average by NBA standards) is what's holding him back. Also he's a decent defender now, but his lateral quickness issues are going to affect him on ball. I think he'll still be a good team defender though. That in addition to the finishing issues probably have scouts questioning his effectiveness at the next level. I do feel like he'd probably rise a bit if we had the combine and traditional workouts.

I dont think he is a below average athlete at all. To me he does not have much creating ball handling skills yet, but he was recruited as a defensive player with average offense. I mean he averaged almost a block a game as a 6'6 wing. He is not a Vassell or Okoro in terms of d. I just think he is looked as ordinary and why he is not picked as high.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#1886 » by MGB8 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:04 pm

othawhitemeat wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:If he can shoot like he does, and he actually defends too…this dude's gotta be an easy top-10 pick, if not even higher, in a draft this awful, no? Because I'm not seeing why all these dudes who can't shoot are ranked above him. It's pretty clear how useless wings who can't shoot are in this league.

I dont think he is a below average athlete at all. To me he does not have much creating ball handling skills yet, but he was recruited as a defensive player with average offense. I mean he averaged almost a block a game as a 6'6 wing. He is not a Vassell or Okoro in terms of d. I just think he is looked as ordinary and why he is not picked as high.

Eh, he’s below average in terms of NBA prospects. Not Denzel Valentine below average, but not either fast, quick, nor a jumper. He’s strong, though. And agreed about the creation / handling.

He’ll be a contributor in the NBA, but he looks like a role player rather than a star. But with his shooting, shouldn’t fall beyond much outside the lotto. At the same time, his shot 34% from 3 as a fresh and his sophomore competition was fairly weak.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#1887 » by Andi Obst » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:46 pm

I don't see what Nesmith gives you aside from shooting. He's clearly very good at that and that's valuable, but I don't see anything else. Don't buy him as a high level defender and he doesn't create offense for himself let alone others.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#1888 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Nesmith would be a terrible fit for us. We desperately need players who can pass.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#1889 » by sco » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:24 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Nesmith would be a terrible fit for us. We desperately need players who can pass.

I think we desperately need a #1 option. Not saying that's him, but I wouldn't draft a guy based on current roster needs/fit. Normally, I say draft the BPA, but this year my mantra draft the guy with the highest ceiling - if he ends-up as another Tyrus, so be it.
:clap:
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 979

Post#1890 » by Chicagoat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 pm

7 more days till the draft lottery!

Let's see if we can beat the 7th pick streak.
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1891 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Nesmith would be a terrible fit for us. We desperately need players who can pass.

This team desperately needs everything.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1892 » by rtblues » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:13 am

I've got a feeling that somehow the Bulls are going to finally escape the 7th seed this time and wind up with a higher pick.
I've now got them penciled in at #5. No justification whatsoever, just a feeling. I just can't see them winding up with the 7th
pick yet again. It's a "They're due" theory. Not sure what the statistical odds of them getting the #5, but I assume it's something
around 5%.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
sco
RealGM

Post#1893 » by sco » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 pm

The only reason that I'm optimistic about getting #1 is that this draft is likely completely devoid of future allstars.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#1894 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:47 pm

sco wrote:The only reason that I'm optimistic about getting #1 is that this draft is likely completely devoid of future allstars.

I think their could be some all stars in this draft. But at the very least it never hurts to add young talent. People was saying that last year draft was only a 2 player draft with Zion and Morant. But their was a lot of other rookies that balled out last year. We won’t know until they play games. But any player in the top 10 this year has a chance to be better than a guy like Sato who started for the bulls this season.
sco
RealGM

Post#1895 » by sco » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:35 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:
sco wrote:The only reason that I'm optimistic about getting #1 is that this draft is likely completely devoid of future allstars.

I think their could be some all stars in this draft. But at the very least it never hurts to add young talent. People was saying that last year draft was only a 2 player draft with Zion and Morant. But their was a lot of other rookies that balled out last year. We won’t know until they play games. But any player in the top 10 this year has a chance to be better than a guy like Sato who started for the bulls this season.

Ok, but this team needs a great player before we worry about good ones. Count me as someone who'd gladly punt our pick to next season if someone wants it.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#1896 » by Chi town » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:

Sorry if I can't +1 you more than once. Please accept this quote as a gift.

Because he’s Buddy Hield and he’s a bench player for the Kings:)))

Not really a sleeper. Lots of sites have him end of the lottery.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#1897 » by Grodoboldo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm

rtblues wrote:Not sure what the statistical odds of them getting the #5, but I assume it's something
around 5%.

The odds of us getting the 5th pick are actually 0%.
:D

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#1898 » by Andi Obst » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:
rtblues wrote:Not sure what the statistical odds of them getting the #5, but I assume it's something
around 5%.

Pretty crazy that the 7th pick would actually be a very good outcome considering it's significantly more likely we land at 8. Even the Warriors have a close to 50% chance of landing the 5th pick, so their worst possible outcome is the most likely one by far. Tanking is dead.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#1899 » by Grodoboldo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:
around 5%.

Pretty crazy that the 7th pick would actually be a very good outcome considering it's significantly more likely we land at 8. Even the Warriors have a close to 50% chance of landing the 5th pick, so their worst possible outcome is the most likely one by far. Tanking is dead.

I mean, it would be a pretty Bulls thing to hit the lottery in the crappiest draft to get a franchise player (I actually like some 10-15 guys in this class as general pieces).
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#1900 » by Chi town » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Playmakers is what we need. Create for others.

I think Wendell or Lauri will be trades on draft night. With September workouts happening and WCH wanting you play PF... I think he goes and Gafford will be our starting C.

What could Wendell and our pick get us? Wendell and Otto? All 3?

Return to Chicago Bulls