Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#301 » by Hold That » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Chi town wrote:I’m starting to believe in Haliburtons 3 ball. Namely because the form is consistent and he’s very decisive when shooting it. He also seems to have Trae Young range. I think he ends up going too 5. I think he will be very similar to SGA.

Just not a fan of his dribble it’s way too loose and he dribbles high, which isn’t good for a big guard. He’s a nice player but I don’t see him being anything special at the next level. He just seems like another player who’s average at everything but a master of nothing. hutch and denzel come to mind.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#302 » by MrSparkle » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:19 pm

Hold That wrote:
Chi town wrote:I’m starting to believe in Haliburtons 3 ball. Namely because the form is consistent and he’s very decisive when shooting it. He also seems to have Trae Young range. I think he ends up going too 5. I think he will be very similar to SGA.

Just not a fan of his dribble it’s way too loose and he dribbles high, which isn’t good for a big guard. He’s a nice player but I don’t see him being anything special at the next level. He just seems like another player who’s average at everything but a master of nothing. hutch and denzel come to mind.

Yeah... Definitely a no-thanks.

They need to target an athletic forward with very good handles, workable shot mechanics and strong defensive floor.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#303 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Chi town wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Chi town wrote:Not a Jaden fan. Nothing special.

My guys are Edwards Mannion and Haliburton. I’d trade our pick and Lauri for a nba player though. Don’t want any more picks.

Do have any players in mind that you think the Bulls should go after?

I would have traded for CP3 with Felicio and Thad Young by now. OKC is 24M into the tax. CP3 makes Lauri and WCJ look like all stars. We need a former all star that’s a leader that believes in Lavine and helps him get over the hump. CP3 would groom Coby too. Look what’s he’s done for SGA.

Jonathon Isaac would be my target but don’t think that’d happen unless Lauri goes on a tear. Lauri fits the Magic well as they need shooting. Isaac would be incredible next to WCJ defensively.

I personally think we need to build around Lavine and WCJ like the Jazz have with smart vets that can score. They have Bog, Clarkson, and Engles that can all shoot and score. Lavine has A rookie that chucks.

We all know OPJ would have made this work much better. He makes us better than the some of our parts because he can shoot, score, he’s smart and plays D.

I do think a Lauri for Cam Johnson Bridges and Saric helps the Suns a lot and gives the Bulls more cap and cheap assets. Lauri Ayton is solid moving fwd and Rubio would help Lauri a lot.

Bridges and Saric don’t get much burn or shots in PHX. They’d fit really well here. Saric is tough is 26 and can create his own shot better than Lauri. Bridges is smart, can shoot, plays both ways and is basically a younger Lower ceiling OPJ without the injuries. Johnson can really shoot it and he’s smart. He basically does what Lauri does now but I think he could be a really good 3rd big off the bench that can fill it up in the future. Channing Frye type.

This still doesn’t get the vet leader that can score but it does give us a young vet that can score and create and two youngsters that can shoot.

I personally believe Lauri will always underwhelm unless he’s gets a pure PG next to him. No way Bulls pay him either. He’s the epitome of what they hate... soft. Not tough and gritty. That’s Saric.

If / when GarPax and Reinsdorf's really has zero interest to pay for Lauri summer 2021 that's really great.
I'm sure Lauri and his agent will be really happy when they finally get out of this NBA's worst ****.
That gives all chances for Lauri to sign first offer-sheet what he gets.

We better hope and pray that really happens because i want Lauri out too but not that's why he's regressed.
I want him out because he deserves better and Bulls can't give him that.

Who's by the way best 2020 NBA draft eligible PF.
Bulls better come out of 2020 NBA draft with Lauri Markkanen's replacement ( who ever it is. )
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#304 » by Bandit King » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:58 am

Lauri would still suck with a new team
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#305 » by Southpaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:36 am

Who the best wing creator on the upcoming draft? Lamelo? What we desperately need as a team is a creator.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#306 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Southpaw wrote:Who the best wing creator on the upcoming draft? Lamelo? What we desperately need as a team is a creator.

After doing more scouting, it might be LaMelo, Mannion, Tre Jones, and Halliburton. I am really hoping that we somehow get a mid first rounder and draft Tre Jones.

But the best player from this draft might be Okongwu from USC. If we draft this beast, I want us to trade Lauri asap. I am done with that soft Bargnani Jr.

At this point, I would not put need over talent bc this team sucks outside of WCJ and Lavine. I would draft the BAP and trade expiring contracts for CP3.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#307 » by Southpaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:11 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Southpaw wrote:Who the best wing creator on the upcoming draft? Lamelo? What we desperately need as a team is a creator.

After doing more scouting, it might be LaMelo, Mannion, Tre Jones, and Halliburton. I am really hoping that we somehow get a mid first rounder and draft Tre Jones.

But the best player from this draft might be Okongwu from USC. If we draft this beast, I want us to trade Lauri asap. I am done with that soft Bargnani Jr.

At this point, I would not put need over talent bc this team sucks outside of WCJ and Lavine. I would draft the BAP and trade expiring contracts for CP3.

Thanks! Yeah I'm always an advocate of BPA but if it comes down to the same tier of prospects, i think we should go with the wing creator because the game favors them right now. I would love to see CP3 lead this team instead of Boylen but I feel like the ceiling of that team is just a deep playoff run. I think we need to find a superstar first before going for moves like that.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#308 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Southpaw wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

Thanks! Yeah I'm always an advocate of BPA but if it comes down to the same tier of prospects, i think we should go with the wing creator because the game favors them right now. I would love to see CP3 lead this team instead of Boylen but I feel like the ceiling of that team is just a deep playoff run. I think we need to find a superstar first before going for moves like that.

Veteran mentoring that Paxson is always so hot for comes to former NBA All Star with an elite work ethic like CP3. Broken ass bums like Robin Lopez and Thaddeus Young don’t provide veteran mentoring. What the hell can scrubs like Robin Lopez or Thaddeus Young teach? Nothing besides trash things that help them become perennial scrubs off the bench.

CP3 will help to unlock Coby White, Zach Lavine, WCJ, and our draft pick potential.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#309 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Do have any players in mind that you think the Bulls should go after?

I would have traded for CP3 with Felicio and Thad Young by now. OKC is 24M into the tax. CP3 makes Lauri and WCJ look like all stars. We need a former all star that’s a leader that believes in Lavine and helps him get over the hump. CP3 would groom Coby too. Look what’s he’s done for SGA.

Jonathon Isaac would be my target but don’t think that’d happen unless Lauri goes on a tear. Lauri fits the Magic well as they need shooting. Isaac would be incredible next to WCJ defensively.

I personally think we need to build around Lavine and WCJ like the Jazz have with smart vets that can score. They have Bog, Clarkson, and Engles that can all shoot and score. Lavine has A rookie that chucks.

We all know OPJ would have made this work much better. He makes us better than the some of our parts because he can shoot, score, he’s smart and plays D.

I do think a Lauri for Cam Johnson Bridges and Saric helps the Suns a lot and gives the Bulls more cap and cheap assets. Lauri Ayton is solid moving fwd and Rubio would help Lauri a lot.

Bridges and Saric don’t get much burn or shots in PHX. They’d fit really well here. Saric is tough is 26 and can create his own shot better than Lauri. Bridges is smart, can shoot, plays both ways and is basically a younger Lower ceiling OPJ without the injuries. Johnson can really shoot it and he’s smart. He basically does what Lauri does now but I think he could be a really good 3rd big off the bench that can fill it up in the future. Channing Frye type.

This still doesn’t get the vet leader that can score but it does give us a young vet that can score and create and two youngsters that can shoot.

I personally believe Lauri will always underwhelm unless he’s gets a pure PG next to him. No way Bulls pay him either. He’s the epitome of what they hate... soft. Not tough and gritty. That’s Saric.

If / when GarPax and Reinsdorf's really has zero interest to pay for Lauri summer 2021 that's really great.
I'm sure Lauri and his agent will be really happy when they finally get out of this NBA's worst ****.
That gives all chances for Lauri to sign first offer-sheet what he gets.

We better hope and pray that really happens because i want Lauri out too but not that's why he's regressed.
I want him out because he deserves better and Bulls can't give him that.

Who's by the way best 2020 NBA draft eligible PF.
Bulls better come out of 2020 NBA draft with Lauri Markkanen's replacement ( who ever it is. )

Bulls need to go for the better pg they can get in the draft as nobody in the roster is showing skills for being our starter point.
jcuuofd
Analyst
And1: 511

Post#310 » by jcuuofd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 pm

If James Wiseman is available the Bulls should draft him. He reminds me of Embiid, and Carter still has trade value so there is not much down side to pick him.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#311 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm

jcuuofd wrote:If James Wiseman is available the Bulls should draft him. He reminds me of Embiid, and Carter still has trade value so there is not much down side to pick him.

Wiseman doesn’t have Embiid natural coordination or soft touch. Wiseman actually reminds me of Dwight Howard as a prospect. The dude offense is going to be limited but he would boost our defense to a top 3 every year if he reaches his potential.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#312 » by Dan Z » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 am

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#313 » by Jcool0 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:44 am

ESPN+
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#314 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 am

GimmeDat wrote:This is a PG heavy lottery this year, and with Sato contributing so little so far (I am expecting him to pick it up, maybe it's a role/usage thing as well, but it's still appears clear that he's not a high level starter), I think it would make the most sense for us to go PG.

I would say that our other need is the wing, given Otto's health issues and upcoming contract uncertainty, plus the complete lack of depth there at the moment, though the choices for wings seems more scarce at this stage.

Obviously you take BPA, but just some things to keep in mind.

Draft twitter has Cole Anthony as #1. He's an absolute stud, and likely the best PG in the draft.

Anthony Edwards is my personal #1 - he's a wing but just has super upside tools. He's a guy that, if he has a good college season, might be someone you would consider as a 'can't miss' if you have the opportunity to draft him, needs thrown out the window.

Wiseman has been highly touted by the big outlets as the #1 big, but all of draft twitter is super low on him. With our bigs position as it is as well, he's not exactly high on my radar at his point.

LaMelo is an interesting one. I've watched all his games so far this season. He is an absolutely gifted passer, just beautiful to watch, and he's been doing it with minimal turnovers so far as well. Great PG size, an incredibly tight handle, speed, excellent rebounder - he's going really elevate his teams transition play in particular. However, he's shooting around 18% from 3 so far, and his defense kinda sucks at the moment (though he's got a good knack for steals). Those are 2 major flaws right now. But what skills he does have right now, you can't teach. High upside.

Beyond those guys, you have Avdija, really like his game, probably going to be more of a role player forward, but great feel/passing, Stewart is another good big and Makur Maker has applied to be in this draft as well which would add another strong big man.

RJ Hampton, Theo Maledon, Tyrese Maxey, Nicco Mannion, Killian Hayes, Tre Mann some of the other PG lottery names.

Wings - Scottie Lewis, Jaden McDaniels, Isaac Okoro, Jaden McDaniels some notable ones.

Did you mean to say Wiseman isn't on your radar because the Bulls have Markkanen and Carter Jr? I really hope that's a consensus hot take on this board. Especially considering you went on to say (I think) that you would take Ball even though the Bulls have 4 or 5 PGs on the roster.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#315 » by GimmeDat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:23 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:This is a PG heavy lottery this year, and with Sato contributing so little so far (I am expecting him to pick it up, maybe it's a role/usage thing as well, but it's still appears clear that he's not a high level starter), I think it would make the most sense for us to go PG.

I would say that our other need is the wing, given Otto's health issues and upcoming contract uncertainty, plus the complete lack of depth there at the moment, though the choices for wings seems more scarce at this stage.

Draft twitter has Cole Anthony as #1. He's an absolute stud, and likely the best PG in the draft.

Anthony Edwards is my personal #1 - he's a wing but just has super upside tools. He's a guy that, if he has a good college season, might be someone you would consider as a 'can't miss' if you have the opportunity to draft him, needs thrown out the window.

Wiseman has been highly touted by the big outlets as the #1 big, but all of draft twitter is super low on him. With our bigs position as it is as well, he's not exactly high on my radar at his point.

LaMelo is an interesting one. I've watched all his games so far this season. He is an absolutely gifted passer, just beautiful to watch, and he's been doing it with minimal turnovers so far as well. Great PG size, an incredibly tight handle, speed, excellent rebounder - he's going really elevate his teams transition play in particular. However, he's shooting around 18% from 3 so far, and his defense kinda sucks at the moment (though he's got a good knack for steals). Those are 2 major flaws right now. But what skills he does have right now, you can't teach. High upside.

Beyond those guys, you have Avdija, really like his game, probably going to be more of a role player forward, but great feel/passing, Stewart is another good big and Makur Maker has applied to be in this draft as well which would add another strong big man.

RJ Hampton, Theo Maledon, Tyrese Maxey, Nicco Mannion, Killian Hayes, Tre Mann some of the other PG lottery names.

Wings - Scottie Lewis, Jaden McDaniels, Isaac Okoro, Jaden McDaniels some notable ones.

Did you mean to say Wiseman isn't on your radar because the Bulls have Markkanen and Carter Jr? I really hope that's a consensus hot take on this board. Especially considering you went on to say (I think) that you would take Ball even though the Bulls have 4 or 5 PGs on the roster.

Well I think it goes without saying that team needs is not the primary reason you don't draft someone - I just tacked that on at the end as an added incentive not to log jam the position when we have our C of the future already on the roster. Markkanen's obviously not a lock for anything going forward given his play this season, but it's a non-factor, because Wiseman is not a PF.

But if we do want to discuss the needs line of thinking, I'm not sure how you can watch this season and see that PG (along with SF, assuming you take Otto out of the equation) as our biggest need.

Who are our PG's on the roster right now, let's break it down -

Sato - He's a multi-positional guard, and a solid 3rd guard, but not a starter. His lack of volume play or ability to attack the defense and create opportunities for himself or others has been a major reason our offense has struggled as much as it has.

Arci - Definitely not someone you factor into any needs equations, he's a fringe roster type guy. Gives his all, and you want guys like that on the roster, but a 3rd stringer at best and has only had any meaningful role on our team over the last few years due to the sheer lack of competency at the position.

That's it. White's not a PG, and I'm as pessimistic as ever that he'll ever be one. While we suck it might be a sound strategy to try and play him some minutes at PG to help develop those capabilities, like Lavine was used in his rookie season in Minnesota, but it's ultimately not his game, and even that would be to the detriment of everyone else on the courts development, so I'm not really for it. He's undersized for the position, but for intents and purposes, he's a shooting guard.

And Dunn has had the most successful season of his career not playing PG. I figure we'd shifted perspective on that by now. He's closer to being a PG than White, but the turnover issues and lack of scoring gravity hurt his ability in that position.

There's no more meaningful change we could make to this roster than adding high level PG play to this roster. That's why I consider it our #1 need.

Would I take Ball? I didn't say anything either way in my initial post. The answer would be, it depends whose on the board. My board, right now, would be as follows, give or take some to-ing and fro-ing

1. Edwards (just)
2. Hayes
3. Haliburton
4. Anthony
5. Ball

With a group of Wiseman, Okongwu, Okoro, Hampton, Maxey, Avdija to follow, in no particular order.

That's without any team needs brought in to the discussion, just a big board.

Wiseman's just been overrated in high school because he was a dominant athlete. That whole tier of bigs in the 2018 draft - Ayton, Bagley, Carter, JJJ (we'll exclude Bamba, haha), were all considerably better prospects than Wiseman, imo.

He has his merit, absolutely, and I would take him in the top 10, no doubt, but I simply don't think he's as good as many think he is. Not a high level of feel, not a high skill level, mixed bag as a defender, etc.

But hey, people value different players differently. Similarly, I'm gobsmacked that people are clamoring for Michael Porter Jr., after a red-shirt year and less than 500 healthy minutes of play this season. I think people overrate run/jump athleticism and off the dribble scoring, and underrate passing/feel/IQ/defense etc. as it pertains to winning basketball. Same reason so many people slept on Doncic.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#316 » by MeloRoseNoah » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm

This draft really sucks. I honestly am open toward trading this pick for a 2021 first rounder plus second rounders or trade down for more picks.

In my opinion, the best players from this draft will be from #10 -#20. There are a lot of bust potential from this weak draft.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#317 » by Pax for Prez » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:38 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:This draft really sucks. I honestly am open toward trading this pick for a 2021 first rounder plus second rounders or trade down for more picks.

In my opinion, the best players from this draft will be from #10 -#20. There are a lot of bust potential from this weak draft.

Yep, with our luck this is the year we would win the lottery LOL

Pax
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#318 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:This draft really sucks. I honestly am open toward trading this pick for a 2021 first rounder plus second rounders or trade down for more picks.

Yep, with our luck this is the year we would win the lottery LOL

Pax

Don't worry, Boylen, Otto, Wendell and "March Lauri" are gearing up for that late season win-blitz for 8th seed (36-46 ought to do it), and whoever slips to 9-seed will probably win the top4 pick.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#319 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:

Well I think it goes without saying that team needs is not the primary reason you don't draft someone - I just tacked that on at the end as an added incentive not to log jam the position when we have our C of the future already on the roster. Markkanen's obviously not a lock for anything going forward given his play this season, but it's a non-factor, because Wiseman is not a PF.

But if we do want to discuss the needs line of thinking, I'm not sure how you can watch this season and see that PG (along with SF, assuming you take Otto out of the equation) as our biggest need.

Who are our PG's on the roster right now, let's break it down -

Sato - He's a multi-positional guard, and a solid 3rd guard, but not a starter. His lack of volume play or ability to attack the defense and create opportunities for himself or others has been a major reason our offense has struggled as much as it has.

Arci - Definitely not someone you factor into any needs equations, he's a fringe roster type guy. Gives his all, and you want guys like that on the roster, but a 3rd stringer at best and has only had any meaningful role on our team over the last few years due to the sheer lack of competency at the position.

That's it. White's not a PG, and I'm as pessimistic as ever that he'll ever be one. While we suck it might be a sound strategy to try and play him some minutes at PG to help develop those capabilities, like Lavine was used in his rookie season in Minnesota, but it's ultimately not his game, and even that would be to the detriment of everyone else on the courts development, so I'm not really for it. He's undersized for the position, but for intents and purposes, he's a shooting guard.

And Dunn has had the most successful season of his career not playing PG. I figure we'd shifted perspective on that by now. He's closer to being a PG than White, but the turnover issues and lack of scoring gravity hurt his ability in that position.

There's no more meaningful change we could make to this roster than adding high level PG play to this roster. That's why I consider it our #1 need.

Would I take Ball? I didn't say anything either way in my initial post. The answer would be, it depends whose on the board. My board, right now, would be as follows, give or take some to-ing and fro-ing

1. Edwards (just)
2. Hayes
3. Haliburton
4. Anthony
5. Ball

With a group of Wiseman, Okongwu, Okoro, Hampton, Maxey, Avdija to follow, in no particular order.

That's without any team needs brought in to the discussion, just a big board.

Wiseman's just been overrated in high school because he was a dominant athlete. That whole tier of bigs in the 2018 draft - Ayton, Bagley, Carter, JJJ (we'll exclude Bamba, haha), were all considerably better prospects than Wiseman, imo.

He has his merit, absolutely, and I would take him in the top 10, no doubt, but I simply don't think he's as good as many think he is. Not a high level of feel, not a high skill level, mixed bag as a defender, etc.

But hey, people value different players differently. Similarly, I'm gobsmacked that people are clamoring for Michael Porter Jr., after a red-shirt year and less than 500 healthy minutes of play this season. I think people overrate run/jump athleticism and off the dribble scoring, and underrate passing/feel/IQ/defense etc. as it pertains to winning basketball. Same reason so many people slept on Doncic.

I do think that PG is the biggest need because the Bulls keep signing/drafting/acquiring non-PG point guards. But I dont think Carter Jr is a lock as the center of the future. I dont think there's the Bulls are set at any position.

And I dont understand how you think Carter was a better prospect going into college than Wiseman. Wismenan was ranked higher, bigger, faster, stronger, better finisher around the basket.
And in his THREE games, showed a much higher level of aggressive on both ends of the floor than Carter ever did.

From 3 games where Wismena averaged 20, 10, and 3 blocks, you surmised that he doesnt have a good feel for the game. When he was basically just thrown in ince he returned from being suspended, albeit against bad competition.

In Wendell Carter Jr's first three games he shot 10/20 on 2pt FGs, for 32 points, 25 rebounds, and 7 blocks, and had a game against Michigan State.
Wiseman was 20/25 on 2pt FGs, 32 rebounds, and 9 blocks, and had a game against Oregon.

Wiseman plays like Whiteside when Whiteside isnt lazy. I just dont understand how you're eating him so low. Mitchell Robinson slid in the draft because he decided to train instead of play college basketball. Should've been a top 7 pick easily. Wiseman should be a top 5 until these other players actually prove they're better.

Cole anthony is averaging under 40%from 2 and from 3, under 70% from the ft line, and averaging 4 turnovers and helping UNC look like poop.

Ball is talented, of course, but cant shoot with a damn and plays less than no defense.

You're just overeating PGs. Why would you target only guards when the whole team is weak? Take the best player available. Wiseman is a much better prospect than all those PGs at this point.

*I have not seen haliburton or hayes play yet*

Last time the Bulls targeted PG to fill a need they got Marquis Teague, and came out and said they would've gotten Tyshawn Taylor if Teague was off the board.

Meanwhile, available players included: Festus Ezeli, Tomas Satoransky, Jae Crowder, Draymind Green, Kris Middleton, Will Barton. Just to highlight a few. You DO NOT draft for need. You draft best player available.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#320 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm

This draft looks horrible. Any reason why the Bulls shouldn’t already be considering options like trading out or down in the draft (dangling pick swap in a trade)?

The “best” creator/passer projects to be an almost entirely parallel bust to his older brother. Injury prone, can’t shoot, low motor. The PGs are all projects.

I think the Warriors’ scouts come out with the best player in the draft, and the rest come out with the Benders, Bennetts, Ntilikinas and Culvers.

Return to Chicago Bulls