Image ImageImage Image

Post Game: Bulls Win, Lauri shows signs of life

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: Post Game: Bulls Win, Lauri shows signs of life 

Post#121 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:05 am

dougthonus wrote:I'm certainly not beside myself that they don't lose, but given a choice, I would rather land in the bottom 3 than at 7.

The hope was that the Bulls would be competitive and make the playoffs. The latter may still happen, but there's no value in a sub-.500 team getting destroyed by Milwaukee in the first round and landing a mid-first round pick.

On the otherhand, this draft is not very deep. There's no value in the Bulls tanking and getting anything outside of a Top 2-3 pick. Fortunately, the new lottery odds are beneficial to teams who don't nosedive. The Bulls could have a decent shot at changing their luck without planning to.

The Bulls being non-competitive in the wrong year puts them in a bad spot. Beating Sacramento is nice to hear, but what does it change? I'm not rooting for losses, but I don't know what this season is going to accompiish at their current pace (27 wins).
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#122 » by SfBull » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:06 am

TheHrvReport wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I hate our “pillar” bigs.

Hate the pairing.

Wendell and Lauri are simply pathetic rebounders and shotblockers. Between the two of them: 17 and 0.

And that’s also their season average, plus 1.3 blocks a game.

This is the softest big line-up in the NBA. For whatever IQ and muscle he has, Wendell’s slow as molasses, has no vertical burst, limited height for his position, and mediocre hands.

I feel like Kanter would be an upgrade.

Porzingis looks like Mutombo compared to these guys.

Jesus, what a terrible take. Wendell is far away the best player on the team...

Really? Better than Zach?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#123 » by Jcool0 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:10 am

Read on Twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#124 » by dice » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:14 am

Markksman_24 wrote:
dice wrote:
Markksman_24 wrote:If they're both poor defenders, it makes sense to think that the one with the crazy efficient scoring night was better than the one who missed 57% of his shots. Hield was invisible save for the 3rd quarter.

and once again you're boiling a player's performance down to scoring

btw, hield outscored lavine 14-6 in the 4th prior to the intentional fouling of lavine in the closing seconds. that's "invisible"? are you quite sure you watched the game?

It was a typo, I meant 4th.

Regardless, I get what you're doing -- trying to make a grand point that there's much more to an individual's impact on a game than scoring, but doing so by baiting people into arguing with you by taking a very controversial position and defending it vehemently via frivolous semantics-based retorts and a bit of ad hominem. I've lurked here for a long time, I know it's your thing.

except that that's not what happened. i made my point quite directly and you consistently misrepresented it

and hield scored 8 in the 3rd quarter as well. still not "invisible." far from it

But this just isn't the game to make that point. If you can present any sort of justification for the claim that Hield outplayed LaVine tonight, be my guest. The hyper-efficiency LaVine displayed relative to Hield's costly method of scoring his points, however, would lead any meaningful algorithm to suggest that Hield would need to have played incredible defense in order for him to have outplayed LaVine, and that just didn't happen.

you left out rebounding, assists and turnovers

what's disingenuous is when people say stuff like "lavine scored 28 points on 13 shots", which is misleading because it ignores not only all the points he got at the line (which require shots that just happen to not be field goal attempts but still take up possessions), but also because 4 of those points were meaningless intentional foul shots in the closing seconds

in reality, lavine needed 18 possessions (2 of which were freebies at game's end) to score his points, while hield needed 24. lavine was much more efficient, though not to the extent being suggested

and i plainly said that it was ARGUABLE that hield outplayed him. while lavine was much more efficient, hield was significantly better down the stretch , had significantly more rebounds and a significantly better a:to ratio. both had the same +/-, which i don't put much stock in, but nor do i put much stock in the the fact that zach's team happened to outplay hield's team. so while zach clearly had the better night based on his team winning, that doesn't mean that he PLAYED better than hield
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
humble servant
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#125 » by humble servant » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:09 am

Luka Beal harden etc are not defensive stoppers yet are all stars I will be real happy when Zach gets traded to or we get a good coach. This league is about scoring stop kidding yourself. Last 4 minutes and all that matters of you can put score. The bulls even with Jordan and pippin still needed to out score people. Defense is key but don’t get it as the be all catch all
RagingBull316
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#126 » by RagingBull316 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:25 am

dice wrote:what's disingenuous is when people say stuff like "lavine scored 28 points on 13 shots", which is misleading because it ignores not only all the points he got at the line (which require shots that just happen to not be field goal attempts but still take up possessions), but also because 4 of those points were meaningless intentional foul shots in the closing seconds

If Zach misses all those 'meaningless' intentional foul free throws, and Sacramento comes back and hits quick 3's then they aren't meaningless.

We beat the Hornets this year, even though they made most of their 'meaningless' free throws.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#127 » by Red8911 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:01 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why do they keep saying Lavine got “benched”? All Boylen did was pull him out early but then he put him back in like 3-4 minutes later.It was really nothing, media keeps making it a big deal and Lavine got bothered over that for no reason at all. That got him going so whatever it worked lol.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#128 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:41 am

Red8911 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why do they keep saying Lavine got “benched”? All Boylen did was pull him out early but then he put him back in like 3-4 minutes later.It was really nothing, media keeps making it a big deal and Lavine got bothered over that for no reason at all. That got him going so whatever it worked lol.

Honestly I think the NBA needs something to talk about in New York and Chicago. The markets being down hurt the overall interest. West Coast basketball is hard to follow for east coast and Midwest fans because of the late start time. They need some Chicago stories and LaVine is the best they have. Zion, Kyrie and Durant hurt the time zone by nit being able to play. Giannis is so amazing but yet he is in Milwaukee and Silver woukd much prefer NY or Chicago. Or at the very least a marketable player in either of those two spots. Boston is a good team but they don’t have a marketable star either at this point. If the East was rich with Stars guys like John Collins and Zach LaVine wouldn’t be in Zach Lowe’s podcast imho. Silver really needs Brooklyn to be healthy and the Knicks and Bulls to have someone who is watchable.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#129 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:48 am

ZOMG wrote:It's not enough to have an athletic rim protector at the 5. If it was, Gafford would play 30+ mins per game.

I didn't say "rim protector." In fact, "rim protection" is not that meaningful. The Bulls, Heat, Cavs, Warriors and Raptors all won titles without a "rim protector."

Versatility is what matters and the Bulls don't have it. They have somehow ended up with a 6'9" center who can't even play the 4 and a 7 footer who can't guard…anybody.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#130 » by Stratmaster » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:16 am

Well, I see the post game after a win on the west coast is exactly the same as after losses and deteriorating quickly.

The Bulls played a solid game in a tough setting. They get trashed.

Lavine played a highly efficient game and like in other recent games scored clutch points down the stretch. God forbid we give him credit.

Whining, moaning and gnashing of teeth.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#131 » by dice » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:30 am

RagingBull316 wrote:
dice wrote:what's disingenuous is when people say stuff like "lavine scored 28 points on 13 shots", which is misleading because it ignores not only all the points he got at the line (which require shots that just happen to not be field goal attempts but still take up possessions), but also because 4 of those points were meaningless intentional foul shots in the closing seconds

If Zach misses all those 'meaningless' intentional foul free throws, and Sacramento comes back and hits quick 3's then they aren't meaningless.

We beat the Hornets this year, even though they made most of their 'meaningless' free throws.

i can't believe that 2 people 'and 1'd that nonsense argument. lavine's 4 FTs were pressure free and gifted to him. that's inarguable. the FTs at the end of the hornets game were significantly more potentially consequential at the time they were taken. i mean, come on

rozier up 5 w/ 32 secs (plenty of time left)
rozier up 4 w/ 22 secs left (tough to lose, but certainly not out of reach)
graham up 3 w/ 14 secs left (gotta make at least 1 to avoid potentially being the goat)
lavine up 5 w/ 11 secs left (not even shaq would have any weight on his shoulders - virtually impossible to lose game)
lavine up 5 w/ 2.5 secs left
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,157

Post#132 » by Revived » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:02 am

Read on Twitter
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#133 » by SfBull » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:17 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly I think the NBA needs something to talk about in New York and Chicago. The markets being down hurt the overall interest. West Coast basketball is hard to follow for east coast and Midwest fans because of the late start time. They need some Chicago stories and LaVine is the best they have. Zion, Kyrie and Durant hurt the time zone by nit being able to play. Giannis is so amazing but yet he is in Milwaukee and Silver woukd much prefer NY or Chicago. Or at the very least a marketable player in either of those two spots. Boston is a good team but they don’t have a marketable star either at this point. If the East was rich with Stars guys like John Collins and Zach LaVine wouldn’t be in Zach Lowe’s podcast imho. Silver really needs Brooklyn to be healthy and the Knicks and Bulls to have someone who is watchable.

Perhaps with new ownership and GM something can change for better, otherwise expect more years of losing.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#134 » by SfBull » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:21 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
ZOMG wrote:It's not enough to have an athletic rim protector at the 5. If it was, Gafford would play 30+ mins per game.

I didn't say "rim protector." In fact, "rim protection" is not that meaningful. The Bulls, Heat, Cavs, Warriors and Raptors all won titles without a "rim protector."

Versatility is what matters and the Bulls don't have it. They have somehow ended up with a 6'9" center who can't even play the 4 and a 7 footer who can't guard…anybody.

There's no really some future for a frontcourt like that.I just hope people stop talking about having Lauri when and if we have a chance of drafting a potentially great big like Wiseman next draft.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#135 » by FriedRise » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:00 pm

The biggest positive from this win was obviously Zach and Lauri having a good game together, which hasn't happened all season. The win would've felt more meaningless if it were some role player having a big night. But the big news here is Zach and Lauri did that by going rogue and giving the middle finger to Boylen's system. They're tired of the losses, so they made a point before the game to play their game instead of trying to run the system.

The players also improvised a little from their structured mandate of hitting the paint with a drive and finding someone for a three. Markkanen said he and LaVine talked before the game about getting into pick and roll more often, and also between the two.

"Zach has been doing his part," Markkanen agreed. "We talked about playing our game. We ended up being in a couple of pick and rolls more than we'd been this year. We talked about it before the game, try to do that more; we've kind of gotten away from that."

https://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/bulls-stand-tall-against-kings-113-106

“That’s a big game for him. We were looking for him,” LaVine said. “I think me and him started doing some more two-man game stuff, even if we had to break a little bit of offense up. Two-man game with me and him is deadly because if they’re helping off me, they’re going to leave a great shooter open. I’m excited.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/two-man-game-lavine-markkanen-finally-roll-together-bulls-victory

We've talked, discussed, and questioned why the Zach / Lauri two-man game hasn't happened, but now we know; it's a mandate from the coaching staff (and possibly higher if Pax/Collins are indeed involved in these practice/film sessions). It'll be interesting to see if this continues or if they put a stop to it.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#136 » by The Explorer » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:55 pm

The players calling their own plays is better than Boylen's stupid read and react offense which doesn't fit these players. Markkanen would be looking much better if they called actual plays for him, as would Carter. Instead, we usually see a chuck fest with Lavine the only one making any shots.
Pnjguy
Starter
And1: 567

Post#137 » by Pnjguy » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:12 pm

To be fair, this isn't Boylen's offense or GarPax's, it's Flemings.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#138 » by FriedRise » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:31 pm

Pnjguy wrote:To be fair, this isn't Boylen's offense or GarPax's, it's Flemings.

Right, but Boylen is the head coach who can make the decision to keep, scrap, or work with Fleming to find what works for the personnel they have. So far he's been stubbornly unwilling to move away from what's not working until the players took it upon themselves to change things and play their own game. That's really bad because if your two best players stop listening to the coach and start doing their own thing, why should the rest of the team listen? That could also mean the start of Boylen losing the locker room.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#139 » by mtron32 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:35 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I never thought of it that way since I've been in San Diego so long but yeah, it'd be a hard ask for me to pay attention with 1030 PM start times.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#140 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:07 pm

FriedRise wrote:The biggest positive from this win was obviously Zach and Lauri having a good game together, which hasn't happened all season. The win would've felt more meaningless if it were some role player having a big night. But the big news here is Zach and Lauri did that by going rogue and giving the middle finger to Boylen's system. They're tired of the losses, so they made a point before the game to play their game instead of trying to run the system.

The players also improvised a little from their structured mandate of hitting the paint with a drive and finding someone for a three. Markkanen said he and LaVine talked before the game about getting into pick and roll more often, and also between the two.

"Zach has been doing his part," Markkanen agreed. "We talked about playing our game. We ended up being in a couple of pick and rolls more than we'd been this year. We talked about it before the game, try to do that more; we've kind of gotten away from that."

https://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/bulls-stand-tall-against-kings-113-106

“That’s a big game for him. We were looking for him,” LaVine said. “I think me and him started doing some more two-man game stuff, even if we had to break a little bit of offense up. Two-man game with me and him is deadly because if they’re helping off me, they’re going to leave a great shooter open. I’m excited.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/two-man-game-lavine-markkanen-finally-roll-together-bulls-victory

We've talked, discussed, and questioned why the Zach / Lauri two-man game hasn't happened, but now we know; it's a mandate from the coaching staff (and possibly higher if Pax/Collins are indeed involved in these practice/film sessions). It'll be interesting to see if this continues or if they put a stop to it.

Probably the most interesting stuff I've read in a while in here.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.

Return to Chicago Bulls