Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Re: Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART 

Post#1961 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:22 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:One could argue that Morant, purely because of the type of player he is, is actually the one with the higher risk of having a short prime.

Fast, explosive point guards who rely on driving to the rim for their scoring and passing? Derrick Rose. John Wall. Steve Francis. Baron Davis. Westbrook is really a freak of nature for how durable he is with how he plays.

Even if Zion has an injury that costs him some athleticism, his freakish strength, feel around the rim, and high IQ would probably still make him a really productive player.

Good point, but he's an exquisite passer as well, like a Chris Paul type. Of the guys you named, Rose, Francis, and Davis weren't really amazing passers and were mostly scoring PGs. He'll definitely need to become a great shooter though to extend his career.

The counter argument is guys like Zion that aren't freakishly athletic are just kind of trash. Especially given how difficult it has been for him to control his weight to date. Morant sure strikes me as the higher IQ player of the two, but that may also be a bit of a red herring since his play style and role demands a lot more decision making. Zion's just a big strong guy with great touch around the basket if he's not a freak athlete, but he's not even a tall one in that scenario.

Granted, it's hard to imagine Zion not being a freak athlete, he'll probably either be a freak athlete or not be able to play at all most likely.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#1962 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:36 pm

It would be a damn shame if Zion can't stay healthy. The league needs to continue to replenish their star pool, and he is a massive draw.

Hopefully he can turn his health around.
Why so serious?
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1963 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter

To all my MPJ fans on the board that argued tirelessly about his game before that draft, we, were right
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1964 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1965 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:06 pm

Speaking of Zion and health:

From Wiretap:

The New Orleans Pelicans have played Zion Williamson limited minutes since the NBA's restart, which has received criticism from some corners as being too cautious, but there are some that believe he shouldn't be playing at all. Williamson hasn't been nearly as effective over the Pelicans' first two games as he was when the season was suspended in March.

"Zion is not on their injury report," said Brian Windhorst on his podcast. "They are treating him as though he's coming back from an injury, but he's not on their injury report. I cannot make an assumption as to what's going on there. When you watch him play, he clearly is not in condition to compete at the highest level. As I've watched him play two games, I don't actually think they should have played him at all with the way he's playing. I talked to a scout who said to me he shouldn't be out there right now with the condition he is in. He said to me, 'He's moving worse than he did in Summer League last summer when he got hurt in his first or second game.'

"I don't know if that's because he's out of condition, or that's because he's got something that they're not discussing. This is one of the things that the Pelicans have to deal with... this is a guy who has a history of knee injuries and is not right either because of conditioning or because of something else."

Williamson was gone from the Pelicans for over a week and then was under quarantine for a few days when he returned to Orlando.

"He does not look right," said Kirk Goldsberry. "It does not look good. I don't know if I would go so far as to say he shouldn't be out there because I don't know... Something smells fishy here. I don't know what's going on. He does not look like the kid that was dominating the league in March."

Windhorst and Goldsberry also talked about how many young players need time to grow into their bodies and that may be the case with Williamson.

"The Pelicans have been very careful not to insult him in any way," said Windhorst.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1966 » by Dresden » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:09 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

To all my MPJ fans on the board that argued tirelessly about his game before that draft, we, were right

I thought he was #2 or #3 in that class, behind Bagley, tied with Luka. I would have taken him at 7 even with the bad back.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1967 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:09 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:To all my MPJ fans on the board that argued tirelessly about his game before that draft, we, were right

Was not a believer in MPJ ever putting together a healthy career, and I'm still not necessarily convinced on that front, but he's definitely shown he has star talent if the health thing isn't a factor going forward.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1968 » by Jvaughn » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:11 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

I argued for MPJ heavily over Wendell, and if he can stay relatively healthy I'm definitely going to be bummed we passed on him. I also argued for Bol Bol, so we'll see what happens there. I think he'll start to put some games together next year.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1969 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:18 pm

dougthonus wrote:Zion's just a big strong guy with great touch around the basket if he's not a freak athlete, but he's not even a tall one in that scenario.

He's much more than that. He is a fantastic passer and has great vision and instincts. IMO he could legitimately be turned into a Draymond Green/Boris Diaw type of point forward/center if he suddenly lost his explosiveness and never developed his 3. In fact I would not be surprised one bit if he took a very Blake Griffin-ish career path in terms of offensive role.

I think New Orleans really needs to get rid of Lonzo and start developing Zion into that type of player right now, actually. I don't think Gentry has a clue how to really utilize him. All the people here complaining nonstop about Boylen really have no clue how bad some other coaches around the league are when it comes to pure Xs and Os.

As for Morant, he is a great passer too but it's ultimately still all based on getting to the rack, like John Wall. Maybe he becomes a high level shooter, maybe he doesn't. That's not really any more of a sure thing than any other hypothetical. If Morant ever lost his quickness but never became an elite shooter, he'd just be another non-scoring passing point guard, an archetype that is really not an offensive plus at all.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1970 » by Dresden » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:24 pm

Bagley, BTW, is off to a terrible start with all the injuries he's had. Poor kid. Glad we didn't draft him now.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1971 » by Dresden » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:28 pm

Porter: 37/12 tonight with a block and a steal. 12-16 from the floor, 4-6 on 3's. As with so many nba players, his effectiveness is going to rest heavily on if he can shoot consistently from deep. If he can do that, he can be a star. He also looks like h'es going to be a strong rebounder. I always believed in his talent, even as so many were saying they saw nothing in his tapes that would indicate an nba player.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#1972 » by Lexluthor » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:41 am

Picking Wendell Carter over MPJ was just terrible.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#1973 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:44 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man, I was an MPJ Stan on the draft threads arguing endlessly. Then everyone here mocked him when he fell in the draft.

Nuggets are the ones that would mock the bulls if they offered WCJ for MPJ.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls