Image ImageImage Image

Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, Payt10, fleet, GimmeDat, kulaz3000, AshyLarrysDiaper, RedBulls23, Tommy Udo 6

JimmyButler21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,337
And1: 999
Joined: Nov 21, 2015
       

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#121 » by JimmyButler21 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:00 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I also think it's unlikely that he leaves Thibs, but I would be pretty open to bringing him back given the current crop of attainable PGs. And that has nothing to do with nostalgia. He's an excellent 6th man now, and though he can't regularly play huge minutes, he basically functions at a near an All-Star level player in a smaller 25 min role.

Thibs played Rose 38 minutes in game 1 and 39 minutes in game 2 which is easily the most of the Knicks. It’s absolutely hilarious that 10 years later that Thibs still hasn’t learnt, and will play old banged up DRose huge minutes.

Honestly doesn't matter at this point. Rose is 32 years old and doesn't have many good years left. Better to get the most out of him now before he starts to decline for good.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 17,185
And1: 4,875
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#122 » by sco » Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I also think it's unlikely that he leaves Thibs, but I would be pretty open to bringing him back given the current crop of attainable PGs. And that has nothing to do with nostalgia. He's an excellent 6th man now, and though he can't regularly play huge minutes, he basically functions at a near an All-Star level player in a smaller 25 min role.

Thibs played Rose 38 minutes in game 1 and 39 minutes in game 2 which is easily the most of the Knicks. It’s absolutely hilarious that 10 years later that Thibs still hasn’t learnt, and will play old banged up DRose huge minutes.

Honestly doesn't matter at this point. Rose is 32 years old and doesn't have many good years left. Better to get the most out of him now before he starts to decline for good.

Rose has been great (and healthy) in NY. I heard him interviewed and he attributed much of it to losing all of his muscle bulk and getting light. You can see it.

On point, he is my best $10M MLE target if we operate over the cap.
:clap:
User avatar
jc23
RealGM
Posts: 22,213
And1: 7,972
Joined: May 31, 2010
Location: 1901 W.Madsion St
     

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#123 » by jc23 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:13 pm

If Chicago got DRose i think we make the play in and probably the 8th seed. With that said he is better off going to a vet team that doesnt need to lean on him as much. New York is very dependent on him right now.
"showing off is the fools idea of glory" - Bruce Lee
JimmyButler21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,337
And1: 999
Joined: Nov 21, 2015
       

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#124 » by JimmyButler21 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:13 pm

sco wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:Thibs played Rose 38 minutes in game 1 and 39 minutes in game 2 which is easily the most of the Knicks. It’s absolutely hilarious that 10 years later that Thibs still hasn’t learnt, and will play old banged up DRose huge minutes.

Honestly doesn't matter at this point. Rose is 32 years old and doesn't have many good years left. Better to get the most out of him now before he starts to decline for good.

Rose has been great (and healthy) in NY. I heard him interviewed and he attributed much of it to losing all of his muscle bulk and getting light. You can see it.

On point, he is my best $10M MLE target if we operate over the cap.

Yeah I'm not criticizing Rose, just saying he's 32 years old and odds are he's going to be declining from here on out so I have no problem with Thibs playing him max minutes to get the most out of him while he's still good. Obviously different story 10 years ago.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,800
And1: 400
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
 

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#125 » by Dieselbound&Down » Thu May 27, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm happy for him. It's pretty wild that it took him almost 10 years post ACL to start really showing he is comfortable out there. He will always be a case of what could have been but really glad that he can look back on his career and know he conquered the injuries and mental issues that held him down for such a long stretch. It's good for him to know he can be successful and not just because of freak athleticism as a 20 y/o.
Am2626
Veteran
Posts: 2,511
And1: 785
Joined: Jul 13, 2013

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#126 » by Am2626 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:42 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I also think it's unlikely that he leaves Thibs, but I would be pretty open to bringing him back given the current crop of attainable PGs. And that has nothing to do with nostalgia. He's an excellent 6th man now, and though he can't regularly play huge minutes, he basically functions at a near an All-Star level player in a smaller 25 min role.

Thibs played Rose 38 minutes in game 1 and 39 minutes in game 2 which is easily the most of the Knicks. It’s absolutely hilarious that 10 years later that Thibs still hasn’t learnt, and will play old banged up DRose huge minutes.

Honestly doesn't matter at this point. Rose is 32 years old and doesn't have many good years left. Better to get the most out of him now before he starts to decline for good.


The Knicks are in the playoffs and were in a must win game because they lost the first game at home. Rose is physically 100% back so don’t see why his usage can’t be maximized at this point. He has spent enough of the last several years being eased back easily. At 32 years old he needs to give everything he has left because he is in the later stages of his career anyways.
Am2626
Veteran
Posts: 2,511
And1: 785
Joined: Jul 13, 2013

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#127 » by Am2626 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:46 pm

jc23 wrote:If Chicago got DRose i think we make the play in and probably the 8th seed. With that said he is better off going to a vet team that doesnt need to lean on him as much. New York is very dependent on him right now.


For his legacy coming back home to Chicago and becoming an All Star again would be best for him. Would be a storybook ending for him and may get him Hall of Fame Consideration. Want to see him finish his career in Chicago. The Bulls need him too.
League Circles
RealGM
Posts: 31,095
And1: 8,112
Joined: Dec 04, 2001
       

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#128 » by League Circles » Thu May 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Rose just finished his 3rd good year in a row. He's now had 7 or 8 good years out of 12 in his career. Was always a mistake to dump him at his low point for essentially bad contracts coming back. Smfh.
https://august-shop.com/ streetwear & sneakers
User avatar
TheJordanRule
Starter
Posts: 2,112
And1: 935
Joined: Jan 27, 2014

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#129 » by TheJordanRule » Thu May 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Ugh... this obsession with Rose is so cringe. You want us to throw away tens of millions each year for the "honor" of bringing back a guy who isn't that good to begin with, and who is going to decline the rest of the way based on something he did ten years ago. When the cringe is this thick, so is the mentality.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 17,185
And1: 4,875
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#130 » by sco » Thu May 27, 2021 5:26 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:Ugh... this obsession with Rose is so cringe. You want us to throw away tens of millions each year for the "honor" of bringing back a guy who isn't that good to begin with, and who is going to decline the rest of the way based on something he did ten years ago. When the cringe is this thick, so is the mentality.

I don't have any DRose of days gone by illusions, but this dude is a solid PG. IMO, on par with the Schroders or the league, but because he's on his last couple years, he may be gettable for the $10M MLE, where if we are operating over the cap, is the most we can spend.
:clap:
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 13,969
And1: 3,585
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#131 » by TheStig » Thu May 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Let's be honest, if we'd have gotten Rose, he probably would have broken down. That's just how last year went.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 49,672
And1: 9,487
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:
 

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#132 » by dougthonus » Thu May 27, 2021 6:33 pm

sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Ugh... this obsession with Rose is so cringe. You want us to throw away tens of millions each year for the "honor" of bringing back a guy who isn't that good to begin with, and who is going to decline the rest of the way based on something he did ten years ago. When the cringe is this thick, so is the mentality.

I don't have any DRose of days gone by illusions, but this dude is a solid PG. IMO, on par with the Schroders or the league, but because he's on his last couple years, he may be gettable for the $10M MLE, where if we are operating over the cap, is the most we can spend.


I'd guess Rose will stay in NY, but he should definitely be on the list of guys we look at if he doesn't.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
Posts: 17,185
And1: 4,875
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#133 » by sco » Thu May 27, 2021 6:52 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Ugh... this obsession with Rose is so cringe. You want us to throw away tens of millions each year for the "honor" of bringing back a guy who isn't that good to begin with, and who is going to decline the rest of the way based on something he did ten years ago. When the cringe is this thick, so is the mentality.

I don't have any DRose of days gone by illusions, but this dude is a solid PG. IMO, on par with the Schroders or the league, but because he's on his last couple years, he may be gettable for the $10M MLE, where if we are operating over the cap, is the most we can spend.


I'd guess Rose will stay in NY, but he should definitely be on the list of guys we look at if he doesn't.

I could see him being available if NY lands a top tier PG FA...he is pretty redundant with Quickley if that happens.
:clap:
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 13,969
And1: 3,585
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#134 » by TheStig » Thu May 27, 2021 7:19 pm

I'd rather have Lowry. I hope we push for him on 3/60 deal. A Sato and Coby sign and trade makes sense.
Am2626
Veteran
Posts: 2,511
And1: 785
Joined: Jul 13, 2013

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#135 » by Am2626 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:12 pm

TheStig wrote:I'd rather have Lowry. I hope we push for him on 3/60 deal. A Sato and Coby sign and trade makes sense.


If has to be a sign and trade don’t see why Coby has to be included. Lowry is a FA so the Bulls can just sign him outright. Assets to get him should be minimized. Coby can serve as an excellent 6th man for the Bulls.
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 13,969
And1: 3,585
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#136 » by TheStig » Thu May 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Am2626 wrote:
TheStig wrote:I'd rather have Lowry. I hope we push for him on 3/60 deal. A Sato and Coby sign and trade makes sense.


If has to be a sign and trade don’t see why Coby has to be included. Lowry is a FA so the Bulls can just sign him outright. Assets to get him should be minimized. Coby can serve as an excellent 6th man for the Bulls.

I think the Bulls are better off operating over the cap. They'd have to clear Thad, Sato and Lauri to get the money to sign Lowry.

I don't see the Raptor doing Lowry for Sato straight up.

Lastly the word excellent shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Coby.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 49,672
And1: 9,487
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:
 

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#137 » by dougthonus » Thu May 27, 2021 8:34 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I don't have any DRose of days gone by illusions, but this dude is a solid PG. IMO, on par with the Schroders or the league, but because he's on his last couple years, he may be gettable for the $10M MLE, where if we are operating over the cap, is the most we can spend.


I'd guess Rose will stay in NY, but he should definitely be on the list of guys we look at if he doesn't.

I could see him being available if NY lands a top tier PG FA...he is pretty redundant with Quickley if that happens.


Yeah, could be, I think Thibs will want to keep him because he's Thibs though, and I think Derrick will want to stay because he's Thibs. That said, who knows.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Am2626
Veteran
Posts: 2,511
And1: 785
Joined: Jul 13, 2013

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#138 » by Am2626 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:35 pm

TheStig wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
TheStig wrote:I'd rather have Lowry. I hope we push for him on 3/60 deal. A Sato and Coby sign and trade makes sense.


If has to be a sign and trade don’t see why Coby has to be included. Lowry is a FA so the Bulls can just sign him outright. Assets to get him should be minimized. Coby can serve as an excellent 6th man for the Bulls.

I think the Bulls are better off operating over the cap. They'd have to clear Thad, Sato and Lauri to get the money to sign Lowry.

I don't see the Raptor doing Lowry for Sato straight up.

Lastly the word excellent shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Coby.


If Lowry has decided he no longer wants to be in Toronto the Raptors really don’t have any leverage. They wouldn’t be in a position to make demands. Lowry is an Unrestricted Free Agent. I don’t see Lauri staying with the Bulls and instead of Thad would rather see the Bulls not bring back Temple. Without Temple and Sato, and Lauri on the Bulls you are saying that the Bulls don’t have the cap space to just sign Lowry straight up?
Dan Z
General Manager
Posts: 8,917
And1: 3,618
Joined: Feb 19, 2002
Location: Chicago
 

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#139 » by Dan Z » Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 pm

He's been playing better but has missed 22 games this year, 23 last year and 31 the year before that.

I'm not completely against signing Rose, but don't think he's looking to come back here (or that the team is looking to sign him).
User avatar
TheJordanRule
Starter
Posts: 2,112
And1: 935
Joined: Jan 27, 2014

Re: Assuming D Rose is on the block, what would you offer to get him? (aka the annual "Get Derrick Back" thread) 

Post#140 » by TheJordanRule » Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd guess Rose will stay in NY, but he should definitely be on the list of guys we look at if he doesn't.

I could see him being available if NY lands a top tier PG FA...he is pretty redundant with Quickley if that happens.


Yeah, could be, I think Thibs will want to keep him because he's Thibs though, and I think Derrick will want to stay because he's Thibs. That said, who knows.


We're locked out of the lottery every other year for the next three or four years. Where's the future coming from? Rose? I don't think so. Beyond that, Rose is an injury prone dude playing at 85 percent of what he used to be. You really want to bet on him as he ages even more? In addition, post ACL, he's been mediocre to bad with every coach who isn't Thibs. Even if he doesn't get hurt, and somehow gels with Billy, he will still decline over time.

Other impactful players who may be had with the Mid Level exception:
Talen Horton Tucker - 20 years old
Devonte Graham - 26 years old
Kendrick Nunn - 26 years old
Montrezl Harrell - 27 years old
Richaun Holmes - 27 years old
Josh Richardson - 28 years old

Other players who may become as impactful as Rose or surpass him in a year and sign at LESS than the Mid Level Exception for 3 or more seasons:
Hamidou Diallo - 23 years old
Malik Monk - 23 years old
Dennis Smith Jr. - 23 years old

Return to Chicago Bulls