Image ImageImage Image

David Kaplan: There will be meaningful change after this season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Re: David Kaplan: There will be meaningful change after this season 

Post#201 » by rtblues » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:06 pm

There will be meaningless change after this season
Fixed...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#202 » by TheStig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 am

Proven_Winner wrote:
TheStig wrote:I'm not sure what you'll think is going to happen here. Even if Pax quit or got fired, they're not bring in some big name GM. It'll be Doug Collins or maybe BJ will get his shot or what's Randy Brown doing? You forget, we don't make qualified hires. We get someone from the org. Pax's resume was gritty player, assistant coach for a year and announcer. Why would we expect a Masai or real GM?

The hope is Thibs who wasn’t a org hire but selected by jerry himself. Even if those others you named end up taking position I don’t see how they get us deeper in the hole other than trading away our picks. Pax is done he’s served his time but it’s clear he doesn’t have time or patience for this team. Dude is never enthused nor sounds like he’s getting involved like most GMs. Also if rumors are true people hate the guys upstairs probably excluding jerry so at the very least dumping pax even for a bag of lays would be more attractive to other players.

The man has had 2 GM's in his entire ownership and both were people he knew before. It's not going to be an outside hire.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#203 » by kodo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 am

HomoSapien wrote:I don't understand why we don't just move Paxson to some honorary role. The Gordon rebuild happened 14 years ago. It was a solid effort, but not good enough to lead to a pope job. This is just madness.

I think they did, when Foreman was named GM.
I remember during the Thibs firing meeting Paxson wasn't even in attendance, it was run by MR and Gar, as reported by Friedell.

But lately Foreman's been a disaster, and Pax actually had to get involved again last few years.
If they fire Foreman and hire another GM I could see Paxson fading back out of it again.
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#204 » by IamSam » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25 am

New Mascot? New uniforms for the Luvabulls?
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#205 » by ZOMG » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 am

IamSam wrote:New Mascot? New uniforms for the Luvabulls?

Trading Benny the Bull away sounds like a very on-brand thing to do. After all, there's a ton of washed up mascots out there on the market who used to be great. I hear the Squatch has been posting workout videos on Instagram and is looking for a way back into the league. He swears he's added a 6 point shot from the opposite foul line - blindfolded. So I think we'll see him in a Bulls uniform soon.

Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#206 » by Bandit King » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:50 am

There will be more entertainment options for fans attending games
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
GusFring
Starter
And1: 2,639

Post#207 » by GusFring » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 am

Its literally impossible to blame or dislike the players anymore. This team wasn't constructed with any plan/vision in mind. These guys play hard, they just suck minus a handful.

I miss the sonics and their 90s unis.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#208 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Those meaningful changes better happen.
Bulls needs to clean house right now to get back there where they belong ( yes i'm talking NBA championship title competition ).
GarPax and Boylen needs to go their time has been over good while ago.
SaTaN
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#209 » by SaTaN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Am2626 wrote:
umfan83 wrote:Bump

Based on this it doesn’t look like much is changing - even Gar’s tenure with the club

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Then I would like to see this team lose every game from here on out. This is completely unacceptable. People need to stop going to games, stop renewing season tickets. Reinsdorf doesn’t deserve your money so stop giving it to him!

WHAT THE F!?# 'I would like to see this team lose every game from here on out'. Are you serious? You'd rather be proven right than wrong and see your favourite team succeed? For real, that's what you're going with. What a pessimistic sad f.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#210 » by Am2626 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 pm

SaTaN wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
umfan83 wrote:Bump

Based on this it doesn’t look like much is changing - even Gar’s tenure with the club

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Then I would like to see this team lose every game from here on out. This is completely unacceptable. People need to stop going to games, stop renewing season tickets. Reinsdorf doesn’t deserve your money so stop giving it to him!

WHAT THE F!?# 'I would like to see this team lose every game from here on out'. Are you serious? You'd rather be proven right than wrong and see your favourite team succeed? For real, that's what you're going with. What a pessimistic sad f.

They are not capable of succeeding. If you ever want to see the Bulls win another championship this organization needs to be rid of GarPax and Boylen. This isn’t about being proven right. Unfortunately it seems like a catastrophic collapse is the only way that these necessary changes will be made.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,333

Post#211 » by fleet » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 am

rtblues wrote:There will be meaningless change after this season
Fixed...

There will be minimum 5 years too late change after this season. Refixed

We didn’t mind the needless wait. No really, we did not

I’d postpone getting rid of GarPax if I knew ownership was changed. Ultimately, the core problem. The Reinsdorfs just gonna put their issues on some new FO that will prob carry the same nonsense forward.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#212 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am

fleet wrote:
Fixed...

I’d postpone getting rid of GarPax if I knew ownership was changed. Ultimately, the core problem. The Reinsdorfs just gonna put their issues on some new FO that will prob carry the same nonsense forward.

What's Reinsdorf core problem? That they operate like a small market team? There are small market teams in the league that consistently put out a better product than the Bulls, and haven't built a toxic losing culture. I'd love new ownership, but an actual good front office would find success here.

The loyalty to Pax (and Gar) is what's set this franchise back. That certainly can't be argued.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#213 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm

Bandit King wrote:There will be more entertainment options for fans attending games

keep the bucket boys I like them.

dump the old lady dancers. its sad.

also, I never win the dunkin race, I think its rigged
Am2626
Analyst

Post#214 » by Am2626 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
fleet wrote:
Fixed...

What's Reinsdorf core problem? That they operate like a small market team? There are small market teams in the league that consistently put out a better product than the Bulls, and haven't built a toxic losing culture. I'd love new ownership, but an actual good front office would find success here.

The loyalty to Pax (and Gar) is what's set this franchise back. That certainly can't be argued.

The Reinsdorf’s make too much money to justify operating as a small market team. Their problem is both that and the loyalty that they have shown to the wrong people. I’ll also throw in that Reinsdorf doesn’t even really have love for the Bulls like he does for the White Sox. The Bulls are just a means for him to make money which he is now using to try and build a World Series Roster with the Sox. He wants to see the White Sox win another World Series before he dies. I wish he felt the same way about bringing another championship to the Bulls.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#215 » by The Explorer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:01 pm

KC Johnson's mailbag is usually pretty bad and without substance, but these portions stood out. Given their close relationship, I don't see any meaningful changes happening. Its clear that miscommunications with players and accepted, allowed, and maybe even encouraged. Thad Young's role, Valentine's role, Markkanen's role and confusion, all seem to point to horrible miscalculations.

John Paxson and Boylen talk basically every day. They have a strong working relationship. Paxson also talks to Markkanen and other players regularly. Paxson’s M.O. with all coaches has been to offer input or suggestions if he sees fit but let the coach do the coaching. So this is Boylen’s system, for better or for worse.

I found it telling that Thad Young, at a recent shootaround in Boston, said how his role of staying more on the perimeter and shooting more 3-pointers wasn’t disclosed during the free agency process. At the same shootaround, Boylen went on to say how that was conveyed to Young during those voluntary September workouts and in October training camp. This seems clear that Boylen arrived at this offensive system late, although Chris Fleming’s hire likely started talks towards this style earlier in the offseason.

Boylen waited over two decades for this opportunity. It’s pretty clear, from his strong relationship to the Reinsdorfs to the fact that he had some input on personnel moves this offseason, that he likes pleasing his bosses.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#216 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:44 pm

The Explorer wrote:KC Johnson's mailbag is usually pretty bad and without substance, but these portions stood out. Given their close relationship, I don't see any meaningful changes happening. Its clear that miscommunications with players and accepted, allowed, and maybe even encouraged. Thad Young's role, Valentine's role, Markkanen's role and confusion, all seem to point to horrible miscalculations.

John Paxson and Boylen talk basically every day. They have a strong working relationship. Paxson also talks to Markkanen and other players regularly. Paxson’s M.O. with all coaches has been to offer input or suggestions if he sees fit but let the coach do the coaching. So this is Boylen’s system, for better or for worse.

I found it telling that Thad Young, at a recent shootaround in Boston, said how his role of staying more on the perimeter and shooting more 3-pointers wasn’t disclosed during the free agency process. At the same shootaround, Boylen went on to say how that was conveyed to Young during those voluntary September workouts and in October training camp. This seems clear that Boylen arrived at this offensive system late, although Chris Fleming’s hire likely started talks towards this style earlier in the offseason.

Boylen waited over two decades for this opportunity. It’s pretty clear, from his strong relationship to the Reinsdorfs to the fact that he had some input on personnel moves this offseason, that he likes pleasing his bosses.

Interesting. Sounds like Chris Fleming is to blame for this mess.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,615

Post#217 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:27 pm

It's become a common theme around here among some that replacing GarPax won't matter as long as the Reinsdorf's are in charge. I understand why that's said, but I'm not sure it's entirely true. Jerry Krause was the GM for the first 18 years of Reinsdorf's ownership, and he was MUCH more willing to make risky moves and think outside the box in terms of team-building and personnel decisions than Pax has been.

And I'm not comparing results here - that wouldn't be fair since Krause got to start with MJ already there. I'm comparing the nature of their moves. Trading up for Pippen in 87. Drafting Kukoc in 90 before draft-and-stash was really a thing. Perdue for Rodman when there was no certainty of being able to control Rodman's antics. Even blowing the Miller/Brand/Artest/Mercer core up to take a shot with the Three Cs+Jalen Rose core was risky. He also tried to trade Pippen for T-Mac prior to the 97-98 season, despite having just come off back-to-back titles with Pippen as the #2 guy. His active desire to blow up the dynasty did not make Krause popular, but it sure wasn't safe.

In comparison, the only risk type moves Pax has made are probably LMA-for-Tyrus(we all know how that turned out) and the Jimmy deal(jury's still out, though I supported and continue to support this rebuild).

There are perhaps financial constrains that will remain in place regardless of GM as long as the Reinsdorf's are controlling things, but I feel like Krause is the proof that if another GM were here who wanted to be a little more aggressive/risk-friendly and less conservative than Pax has been, that JR wouldn't stop it as long as it didn't interfere with the finances.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,197

Post#218 » by coldfish » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
The Explorer wrote:KC Johnson's mailbag is usually pretty bad and without substance, but these portions stood out. Given their close relationship, I don't see any meaningful changes happening. Its clear that miscommunications with players and accepted, allowed, and maybe even encouraged. Thad Young's role, Valentine's role, Markkanen's role and confusion, all seem to point to horrible miscalculations.

Interesting. Sounds like Chris Fleming is to blame for this mess.

I strongly suspect that him and the analytics guys really are the ones behind the "3 or layup" rule. Its amazing how little action the Bulls have in the middle of the court. Even last year, Robin Lopez in the low post featured prominently.

Again to qualify: I know the low post isn't the best shot in basketball. I have said this before. You have to cover it though or it does become the best shot and in forcing teams to cover more areas of the court, you open up the analytically high yield shots. Its the equivalent of running the ball to set up play action.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#219 » by Am2626 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:55 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:It's become a common theme around here among some that replacing GarPax won't matter as long as the Reinsdorf's are in charge. I understand why that's said, but I'm not sure it's entirely true. Jerry Krause was the GM for the first 18 years of Reinsdorf's ownership, and he was MUCH more willing to make risky moves and think outside the box in terms of team-building and personnel decisions than Pax has been.

And I'm not comparing results here - that wouldn't be fair since Krause got to start with MJ already there. I'm comparing the nature of their moves. Trading up for Pippen in 87. Drafting Kukoc in 90 before draft-and-stash was really a thing. Perdue for Rodman when there was no certainty of being able to control Rodman's antics. Even blowing the Miller/Brand/Artest/Mercer core up to take a shot with the Three Cs+Jalen Rose core was risky. He also tried to trade Pippen for T-Mac prior to the 97-98 season, despite having just come off back-to-back titles with Pippen as the #2 guy. His active desire to blow up the dynasty did not make Krause popular, but it sure wasn't safe.

In comparison, the only risk type moves Pax has made are probably LMA-for-Tyrus(we all know how that turned out) and the Jimmy deal(jury's still out, though I supported and continue to support this rebuild).

There are perhaps financial constrains that will remain in place regardless of GM as long as the Reinsdorf's are controlling things, but I feel like Krause is the proof that if another GM were here who wanted to be a little more aggressive/risk-friendly and less conservative than Pax has been, that JR wouldn't stop it as long as it didn't interfere with the finances.

Yes agree completely. Reinsdorf will obviously have some financial constraints but the GM has the ability to decide how much risk he is willing to take. A combination of Reinsdorf’s financial constraints with Paxson’s reluctance to be aggressive has led to this mess.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,937
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#220 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Bandit King wrote:There will be more entertainment options for fans attending games

keep the bucket boys I like them.

dump the old lady dancers. its sad.

also, I never win the dunkin race, I think its rigged
The Bucket Boys, that's hilarious but good. They actually provide more entertainment than the Bulls do on any given night.

Return to Chicago Bulls