Image ImageImage Image

My list of short-term replacements for Lauri

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

My list of short-term replacements for Lauri 

Post#1 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:27 am

It is obvious the loss of Lauri will be quite impactful and even demoralizing on the team. We were already shorthanded with Carter, Otto and Gafford being out, so this recent loss is one that will sting for weeks. Lauri has his faults as a young player, but his ability to stretch the floor and keep the defense honest will forever be missed. Let's not forget his ability to rebound the ball at a decent rate either.

Having said that, I think all is not lost if our management can do their homework. My list of short-term replacements for Lauri comprise of three former high draft picks who, for some reason, have been out of the league. Derrick Williams, Terrence Jones and Thomas Robinson are their names. Being 28 years of age, they are all still relatively young and can produce for this team.

I can never stop wondering why guys like Terrence Jones, who had a nice stint with the Rockets early in his career, is no longer in the league. He has great positional size, can shoot, put in on the floor and plays with fire.

Derrick Williams, at 6ft8, is another guy who has a place in the league. He cannot shoot it like Jones can but he can rebound, score inside and play with energy in an elite kind of way. He had his last stint with the Knicks, I believe.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,549

Re: My list of short-term replacements for Lauri 

Post#2 » by dice » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:49 pm

jones had a crapload of health issues beginning in his 3rd season. missed half the season due to nerve inflammation in his leg, later had a collapsed lung. in his 4th season his game deteriorated - had a concussion, a lacerated eyelid, a car crash, and his season ended w/ a respiratory illness. his career never recovered

williams was competent offensively but a total liability defensively. robinson was the opposite
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#3 » by SlimD235 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:36 pm

I'd tune in to watch Joakim Noah for nostalgic reasons
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#4 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Costco Package of Charming Soft Toilet Rolls
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#5 » by ChettheJet » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:20 pm

I think you have to see what might be available in exchange for Denzell Valentine. Then decide if trading Young makes sense or if he gets his minutes and figure out if he brings more now or during the off season to move up from the second round into the late first with a team that can't afford to sign a draft pick.

The Clippers have Patrick Patterson who is a cheap expiring deal
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,338

Post#6 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:23 pm

I would roll with more Hutch and scour some “potential” be it the G-League / over seas.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#7 » by Fl_Flash » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm

What's the kids name with the g-league team? Simi-somethingorother Shittu? Don't know what his contract situation is, but what the hell. At this point what can it hurt? Give the kid a 10-day contract and see what he's got. Or is he on a two-way contract? I don't remember who the two ways are this year.

I'd not waste time on a retread. Throw the kid into the fire and see what he's got.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#8 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:What's the kids name with the g-league team? Simi-somethingorother Shittu? Don't know what his contract situation is, but what the hell. At this point what can it hurt? Give the kid a 10-day contract and see what he's got. Or is he on a two-way contract? I don't remember who the two ways are this year.

I'd not waste time on a retread. Throw the kid into the fire and see what he's got.

Amen Brother Flash!!!
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#9 » by Dan Z » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
Fl_Flash wrote:What's the kids name with the g-league team? Simi-somethingorother Shittu? Don't know what his contract situation is, but what the hell. At this point what can it hurt? Give the kid a 10-day contract and see what he's got. Or is he on a two-way contract? I don't remember who the two ways are this year.

Amen Brother Flash!!!

Costa78
Rookie
And1: 478

Post#10 » by Costa78 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm

I would take a flier on an unknown over a re tread at this point. We all know GarPaxBoy arent trying to win anyways.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#11 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Dan Z wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

Amen Brother Flash!!!

Sold
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#12 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:It is obvious the loss of Lauri will be quite impactful and even demoralizing on the team.

Yes but why would you want to replace him with someone new? This season is a lost cause already, why waste time, effort and money on that. The more losses, the better chance of getting rid of Boylen.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#13 » by ImSlower » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Someday, we will all remember where we were the day the Shittu Era began!

Just kidding, but he did show some flashes in that video. Not exactly the best look seeing him put up that game when they're getting blown out the entire G League game, though. I've not heard much about him other than light-hearted teasing about his name. Now that wins and losses this season are largely irrelevant (zero chance at playoffs, flat lottery makes me want development, whether that means maturing in wins or simply honing skill-sets in losses), I'm wholly on board on throwing a flyer on him if he's not atrociously bad on defense.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#14 » by Indomitable » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:06 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:Costco Package of Charming Soft Toilet Rolls

We already have Felecio.
:banghead:
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#15 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 am

Reading the above posts I was interested to see that G-League kids highlights. Not sure I'm seeing what you guys are, he looks slow and weak. I was more impressed by the few passes by the guard (Doyle?) than anything that Shittu kid showed

I'm all for giving someone unknown a chance, but not sold on that kid
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#16 » by scottyg » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:29 am

I want to go and get Gallanari or Aaron Gordon by using Thad and Denzel and and also would like to go and get Drummond and Drose and snell for Wendall Carter And Otto Porter and Felicio and prolly have to add couple protected draft picks or 2nd rounders to these trades

End up with

Rose/ Satoransky / Dunn
LaVine / White /Dunn
Gallanari / SNell
Markannen/ Gallanari
Drummond / Gafford

Return to Chicago Bulls