Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1661 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:51 pm

E-DC wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
I don't care if each and every Bulls FO member hates Lauri personally - losing a potential major young asset for nothing would be a disaster for a club like this. The way this season is going, I'm not holding my breath on cap space being any kind of game changer for the Bulls.

That said, I have absolutely no idea what thought process led to Markkanen suddenly being used like Kornet. As I said earlier, the benching was eyebrow-raising, but I was actually looking forward to Lauri having a big offensive role with the 2nd unit. As we now see, that apparently was never the intention. He's simply being marginalized and now spends his games standing in the corner.

I do not know what purpose all this serves. To me it looks like they don't have a plan.

They have a pretty clear plan. It’s just that the plan no longer includes Lauri.

The wisdom of the plan is subject to debate. But it’s obvious what that plan is at this point: win as much as you can as fast as you can to become attractive to other players.

The Bulls have concluded Lauri in a significant role is inconsistent with that plan.

Do they really have a clear plan? Or are they maybe making this up as they go. Granted it has been only four games, but this plan hardly seems clear. I was very excited when the trades were made, but it now appears that the goal was only to replace Lauri and Carter with Vuc and Theis. I like what Vuc and Theis bring to the table, but that seems to be a bit of a sideways move. Troy Brown Jr. isn't even playing, nor is Javonte Green. Denzel Valentine appears to be a part of this plan, which I find odd. I don't see how any of this is a recipe for winning more games fast, especially with no days to practice.

They are figuring it out as they go along. Not easy with such a condensed schedule. I don’t think Valentine will be here next season. Brown will be.
DorO
Junior
And1: 201

Post#1662 » by DorO » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:51 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
sami71 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Wait, are you saying Lauri and his wife had a reality TV show? I’m not sure I understand part of your post.

No, sorry. They were featured in a reality where a person Maria Veitola visits people in their homes for a time. She was with them in Chicago.
I'm confused. Who is this person that visited his house and why/how is that in any way notable and relevant to his basketball career? The having children and doing chores around the house is a nonstarter for me too. Plenty of athletes are dads and husbands.

What about the many athletes who go out to clubs every night, get wasted, and stay out til like 5am and still contribute at elite levels? I think Lauri can balance the basic duties of being a husband/father with being a professional basketball player. This isn't some outlandish weight on his shoulders. This just sounds like reaching for excuses or explanations for Lauri not meeting expectations.

The truth is it's all mental with him. If he had consistently played the way he did during the first half of the Suns game he would probably be an all star by now, we probably would have never traded for Vuch, and we definitely wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

He's still young and I've always felt like young players with potential are given up on far too early these days. I think he'll figure it out eventually. I just don't think it will be in Chicago, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app

This is unreal and he needs a shrink.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#1663 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:00 pm

E-DC wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
I don't care if each and every Bulls FO member hates Lauri personally - losing a potential major young asset for nothing would be a disaster for a club like this. The way this season is going, I'm not holding my breath on cap space being any kind of game changer for the Bulls.

That said, I have absolutely no idea what thought process led to Markkanen suddenly being used like Kornet. As I said earlier, the benching was eyebrow-raising, but I was actually looking forward to Lauri having a big offensive role with the 2nd unit. As we now see, that apparently was never the intention. He's simply being marginalized and now spends his games standing in the corner.

I do not know what purpose all this serves. To me it looks like they don't have a plan.

They have a pretty clear plan. It’s just that the plan no longer includes Lauri.

The wisdom of the plan is subject to debate. But it’s obvious what that plan is at this point: win as much as you can as fast as you can to become attractive to other players.

The Bulls have concluded Lauri in a significant role is inconsistent with that plan.

Do they really have a clear plan? Or are they maybe making this up as they go. Granted it has been only four games, but this plan hardly seems clear. I was very excited when the trades were made, but it now appears that the goal was only to replace Lauri and Carter with Vuc and Theis. I like what Vuc and Theis bring to the table, but that seems to be a bit of a sideways move. Troy Brown Jr. isn't even playing, nor is Javonte Green. Denzel Valentine appears to be a part of this plan, which I find odd. I don't see how any of this is a recipe for winning more games fast, especially with no days to practice.

Since the trade:

Denzel - 3 games, 19 min/game
Brown - 3 games, 15.6 min/game
Green - 2 games, 11.5 min/game

The first 3 games after the trade, Denzel played LESS than Brown.

You should have stopped with "it has only been four games".
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#1664 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:31 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:It's pretty comical how the Bulls' FO "can't develop players" when it comes to Lauri, but they managed to develop Zach LaVine into an All-Star.

Any other player in mind who's been developed by the Bulls? Carter, oh right... White, oh right... Hutch, oh right, Gafford, oh right..., Dunn, oh right...

Let's be real: the Bulls haven't been able to consistently develop players for the last 5 years at least. If they had, those trades wouldn't have happened.

One exception doesn't make it a rule. Plus ATM Lavine has reverted to his old habits and this current version of him isn't someone I'd label as a developed player. Lavine is so overrated due to his shooting numbers.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#1665 » by chefo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:31 pm

Robin Jones wrote:
ZOMG wrote:Embarrassing Markkanen by benching and marginalizing him is turning out to be a really stupid move by the Bulls - another one in a long line of them.

Lauri now knows he's out the door and essentially has nothing to win by trying hard and risking injury. He knows that the teams interested in him don't give a F about what he does the rest of the season. They're not naive. They know the Bulls are a horrible team with a bad coach and that Lauri's situation is non-salvageable anyway after this. Markkanen has a clean track record as far as being coachable and not causing problems, which will come in handy now. His agent will spread the word that Markkanen is basically just waiting for the season to end while chilling in the corner - IF he even plays.

The Bulls have f**ed this up royally, starting from the moment they decided to play hardball with Lauri in the extension negotiations. A case study in how to waste an asset.

I disagree in that it does not matter how Markkanen plays for the rest of the season. For sure it does. This is his contract year.

Naturally the other teams understand his limited role now, but the per minute stats/efficiency are still very important, for the Bulls to get wins, and for Markkanen to get as good contract as possible.

I don't think Lauri cares particularly much if he makes $12M per or $20M per. His agent probably does, but there was an article a couple of years ago that he had no idea what to do with his 5.5M salary, it was so astronomical to him. I think the money he asked for was much more to feel treated as respected and appreciated. If you're making 50m over 4 or 75m over 4, changes almost nothing about your lifestyle. You're still a 0.001% and have generational wealth, unless you're an utter idiot.

If I were him, I'd do the exact opposite of his plummeting aggression and just go Bobby Portis on everybody's posterior--in other words, if it hits my hands, I'm letting it fly. No effin' handoffs the few times I touch it, I'm gunning for my own. I'd break the system, if you only ask me to sit in the corner and play decoy. If you are willing to F with me, well... screw your system right back at you. If you're putting me in a place where I'm least likely to get the ball and do anything with it, while I'm on the court with such scoring luminaries as Val, Theis, and the new guys, whatever their names were, then well--I don't care what you're telling me to do.

Paradoxically, him breaking the system will probably be good for the Bulls who've struggled scoring lately, let alone scoring efficiently.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1666 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:37 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:It's pretty comical how the Bulls' FO "can't develop players" when it comes to Lauri, but they managed to develop Zach LaVine into an All-Star.

Any other player in mind who's been developed by the Bulls? Carter, oh right... White, oh right... Hutch, oh right, Gafford, oh right..., Dunn, oh right...

Let's be real: the Bulls haven't been able to consistently develop players for the last 5 years at least. If they had, those trades wouldn't have happened.

One exception doesn't make it a rule. Plus ATM Lavine has reverted to his old habits and this current version of him isn't someone I'd label as a developed player. Lavine is so overrated due to his shooting numbers.

LaVine is playing hurt. Literally all Lauri has is his inconsistent shooting. No defense, no playmaking for others. No rebounding. No post game. Butthurt because LaVine is better than Lauri will ever be? Yes. That is why you said it would it interesting to see them play without LaVine yesterday. Lauri play played a game without LaVine. Still looked the same...mediocre at best. All the Lauri will be better than LaVine sayers have egg on their face and are very salty about it. Let’s see if he can be better way from LaVine dragging him down on whatever team is foolish enough to pay him.
E-DC
Sophomore
And1: 182

Post#1667 » by E-DC » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:39 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
E-DC wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Since the trade:

I can't believe I'm actually going to respond to this, but it's a Saturday during COVID.

Brown:
Against Spurs - He came in at the end of the third when they were down by 30.
Against GSW - 6 of the 12 minutes were during garbage time.
Against Suns - He got some legitimate minutes.
Against Utah - He didn't play.

Green:
Against Spurs - He came in during the fourth when they were down by 21.
Against GSW - He got some legitimate minutes.
Against Suns - He didn't play.

As I wrote before, the purpose of the trade appears to be to just swap out Lauri and Carter with Vuc and Theis. So far the other players they received do not appear to be a part of the plan.

Just posting minutes without any context is a bit lazy.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#1668 » by Louri » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:01 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

LaVine is playing hurt. Literally all Lauri has is his included consistent shooting. No defense, no playmaking for others. No rebounding. No post game. Butthurt because LaVine is better than Lauri will ever be? Yes. That is why you said it would it interesting to see them play without LaVine yesterday. Lauri play played a game without LaVine. Still looked the same...mediocre at best. All the Lauri will be better than LaVine sayers have egg on their face and are very salty about it. Let’s see if he can be better way from LaVine dragging him down on whatever team is foolish enough to pay him.

As a Bulls fan I would be more concern about Bulls FO to be foolish enough to pay Lavine max.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#1669 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:01 pm

E-DC wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
E-DC wrote:

Since the trade:

I can't believe I'm actually going to respond to this, but it's a Saturday during COVID.

Brown:
Against GSW - 6 of the 12 minutes were during garbage time. Which means he got some legitimate, non-garbage time minutes.

Green:

As I wrote before, the purpose of the trade appears to be to just swap out Lauri and Carter with Vuc and Theis. So far the other players they received do not appear to be a part of the plan.

I can't believe you went through all that trouble without posting Val's detailed minutes report. You were there looking at Brown's and Green's, we all know you checked out Val's as well.

Which tells me that Val got extremely similar "legitimate" and "garbage time" minutes... or you would have pointed out that he got all "legitimate" minutes.

You might have pointed out that Val got more minutes than usual the last two games because of Sato's foul trouble, since he's closer to a PG than Brown or Green at this point.

You might have pointed out that in the first game after the trade, Val got a DNP while the other 2 guys both played.

You could have not said "Troy Brown Jr. isn't even playing", when he's played in 3 of 4 games.

You are right that Covid boredom probably caused me to waste my time with this BS lol. It would have been easier just to hit "foe".
E-DC
Sophomore
And1: 182

Post#1670 » by E-DC » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:12 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
E-DC wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
Since the trade:

Brown:
Against GSW - 6 of the 12 minutes were during garbage time. Which means he got some legitimate, non-garbage time minutes.

Green:

I can't believe you went through all that trouble without posting Val's detailed minutes report. You were there looking at Brown's and Green's, we all know you checked out Val's as well.

Which tells me that Val got extremely similar "legitimate" and "garbage time" minutes... or you would have pointed out that he got all "legitimate" minutes.

You might have pointed out that Val got more minutes than usual the last two games because of Sato's foul trouble, since he's closer to a PG than Brown or Green at this point.

You might have pointed out that in the first game after the trade, Val got a DNP while the other 2 guys both played.

You could have not said "Troy Brown Jr. isn't even playing", when he's played in 3 of 4 games.

You are right that Covid boredom probably caused me to waste my time with this BS lol. It would have been easier just to hit "foe".

Valentine hasn't been playing during garbage time. Even in the game against the Spurs, all of his minutes were during the first half. I just assumed you knew that from watching the games.

My use of the phrase "Troy Brown Jr. isn't even playing" was in reference to the fact that the minutes he has played have primarily been during garbage time. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I needed to spell that out. I'll try to be more careful in the future.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#1671 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:13 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

LaVine is playing hurt. Literally all Lauri has is his included consistent shooting. No defense, no playmaking for others. No rebounding. No post game. Butthurt because LaVine is better than Lauri will ever be? Yes. That is why you said it would it interesting to see them play without LaVine yesterday. Lauri play played a game without LaVine. Still looked the same...mediocre at best. All the Lauri will be better than LaVine sayers have egg on their face and are very salty about it. Let’s see if he can be better way from LaVine dragging him down on whatever team is foolish enough to pay him.

Wow, probably one of the worst replies I've ever had in here! I mean some incoherent stuff about something which had zero to do with my post.

I didn't say a word about Markkanen yet he was the only one you could think of. Only shows what a complete biased Markkanen hater you are. And now pouring your hate on me? Yeah, without Lavine he went "mediocre" 16/10 and now with Zach 5/2. :roll: Wake up and smell the coffee, for crying out loud.

Consider your application to my ignore list as firmly accepted!

Lavine playing hurt my a$$... do you believe that garbage even yourself? He had his shoes on and was on the court, good to go. Stop making excuses for your mancrush. He played like he always does and the result was a 6th straight loss. What a great #1 option to have; great at amassing losses.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#1672 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:20 pm

Louri wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

As a Bulls fan I would be more concern about Bulls FO to be foolish enough to pay Lavine max.

Foolish? At this point the idea is insane and even toying with it is like an advanced form of self-flagellation. You pay max to a player who with his play ensures you lose more than you win?

12/2/2022
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1673 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:58 pm

Louri wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Good thing you are not in the Bulls FO then. You would probably resign Lauri for $20 million per.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1674 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:02 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Wow, probably one of the worst replies I've ever had in here! I mean some incoherent stuff about something which had zero to do with my post.

I didn't say a word about Markkanen yet he was the only one you could think of. Only shows what a complete biased Markkanen hater you are. And now pouring your hate on me? Yeah, without Lavine he went "mediocre" 16/10 and now with Zach 5/2. :roll: Wake up and smell the coffee, for crying out loud.

Consider your application to my ignore list as firmly accepted!

Lavine playing hurt my a$$... do you believe that garbage even yourself? He had his shoes on and was on the court, good to go. Stop making excuses for your mancrush. He played like he always does and the result was a 6th straight loss. What a great #1 option to have; great at amassing losses.

He played like he always does? You are delusional and extremely biased. LaVine is literally the only reason this team was staying afloat in the first half of the season. Enjoy following Lauri in Sacramento or wherever next season!

The reason are not winning because Lauri is a stiff bum. He cannot even handle being a 3rd option. Benched. Enough said!

LaVine is player many teams like Toronto, Dallas, and New York want to acquire and build with. Lauri cannot even fetch a first round pick or a player a team doesn’t even want like Ball. But I guess the rest of the basketball world is just missing what you see.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#1675 » by Louri » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:07 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Louri wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Good thing you are not in the Bulls FO then. You would probably resign Lauri for $20 million per.

20 million for shy 3p shooter that can't even hit those 3s now? I would not even pay 12 now. I didn't say anything about Lauri. I talked about Lavine. I said that "I would be more concern about Bulls FO to be foolish enough to pay Lavine max".
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#1676 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:07 pm

I do miss the nice 14-game stretch where Lauri managed to stay healthy before the All-Star break. We were supposed to be getting that same "7-foot PF who shoots 40% on 3's with a 65% TS%" added to a team that was playing well before the ASB while Lauri was out.

But after the All-Star break, in 13 games we've gotten the exact same Lauri as the rest of his career. The 43.2% FG% (43.6% career), the 36.1% 3pt% (career 36.0%), the .554 TS% (career .562 TS%). I won't mention his rebounding, that would just be piling on.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#1677 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:07 pm

Clocian wrote:Image

This guy can't get here soon enough. If only to send Lauri supporters to whatever team he ends up signing with...
I can't understand the people who think Lauri sucks but prop up Simonovic as his replacement. He's a quarter of the prospect Lauri was/is and if he ever becomes as good as Lauri was in that **** Boylen season then we're very fortunate.

GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#1678 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:10 pm

Zach developed in spite of the **** organization/player development the Bulls had before the front office overhaul. You can't seriously credit Boylen and GarPax and co. for Zach becoming the player he is today?

GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#1679 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:11 pm

DorO wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
sami71 wrote:No, sorry. They were featured in a reality where a person Maria Veitola visits people in their homes for a time. She was with them in Chicago.
I'm confused. Who is this person that visited his house and why/how is that in any way notable and relevant to his basketball career? The having children and doing chores around the house is a nonstarter for me too. Plenty of athletes are dads and husbands.

What about the many athletes who go out to clubs every night, get wasted, and stay out til like 5am and still contribute at elite levels? I think Lauri can balance the basic duties of being a husband/father with being a professional basketball player. This isn't some outlandish weight on his shoulders. This just sounds like reaching for excuses or explanations for Lauri not meeting expectations.

The truth is it's all mental with him. If he had consistently played the way he did during the first half of the Suns game he would probably be an all star by now, we probably would have never traded for Vuch, and we definitely wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

He's still young and I've always felt like young players with potential are given up on far too early these days. I think he'll figure it out eventually. I just don't think it will be in Chicago, unfortunately.

This is unreal and he needs a shrink.
What is unreal?

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#1680 » by PaKii94 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:13 am

"Lauri got all the opportunity in the world on this team". False.

Remember at the beginning of the season when lauri was putting up a very efficient 20ppg? He was doing it on 44 touches. 5th on the team after coby (73), Lavine (71), thad (54), wcj (59).

So what do you do with your second best scorer
who is shooting red hot? Maybe give him more usage? More opportunities? See if he can provide more volume( with less efficiency?). Nah let's reduce his touches! Only the bulls.

Lauri comes back and instead of treating him like a second option, he goes down in touches. He's now 6th at 38 touches and now that list includes sato (warranted).

Then what do you do? Replace him with an allstar big (which is fine). Vuc is now getting 70(!) touches with the bulls. Lauri is at 36, 7th on the team

We literally never gave Lauri the opportunity to be a second option. Or even tried to expand his role. The expectations were of second options but we handicapped him as the 5th player. That's not fair to him. He never got the opportunity to fail as a second option.

To the people saying FebruLauri was a mirage.... Well during that mirage lauri was a full fledged #1 option. He had 80 freaking touches to lead the team. Literally double his opportunity this year. And he produced. He hasn't sniffed 50 touches let alone 80 to try replicating FebruLauri.

For comparison his rookie season he was at 70 touches, soph season as a whole 66, Boylen season at 45, current season 41. Did Lauri regress or did his opportunity?

We've seen flashes of FebruLauri this season during game portions (latest one being that suns first half) where he's on pace for 60-80 touches. but he doesn't have the respect of his teammates as a second option and they go away from him. Because Lavine will save them.... Smh.

Return to Chicago Bulls