Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, DASMACKDOWN, Payt10, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper

User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,340
And1: 4,615
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1681 » by PaKii94 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:17 am

The funny thing is FebruLauri was inflated because of VOLUME and OPPORTUNITY. He wasn't all that efficient. Lauri HAS improved his finishing and 3pt shooting. If he got those same 80 touches now he could have been pushing 40ppg p36 during his hot streak earlier.

Instead we had to develop our young studs in coby and wcj :banghead:
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,340
And1: 4,615
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1682 » by PaKii94 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:20 am

Some team will actually pay him to be a second option and give him actual second option touches and bulls fans will bemoan "why couldn't he do it here?!?"
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,340
And1: 4,615
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1683 » by PaKii94 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:26 am

Unfortunately this same thing is now happening to the PAW he produces with his touches but he is far down on the pecking order. If he doesn't get his touches he will also "bust" out and that wouldn't be his doing.
Dez
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 6,122
Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1684 » by Dez » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:07 am

So we're still sticking with the "it's everybody elses fault"? Okay.
User avatar
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
Posts: 12,173
And1: 4,295
Joined: Jun 27, 2008

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1685 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:26 am

PaKii94 wrote:Some team will actually pay him to be a second option and give him actual second option touches and bulls fans will bemoan "why couldn't he do it here?!?"


If anyone does that, we can just point to games played, atrocious defense, piss poor rebounding, always had a negative +\-, never improved in 4 years, etc etc.

Then we all get to chuckle at how that poor team gave him 20 million a year.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
User avatar
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
Posts: 12,173
And1: 4,295
Joined: Jun 27, 2008

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1686 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:37 am

Lauri’s TS% at .610 now, thought it higher.
If that number starts with a 5 by the end of the year. Bulls may actually keep him because who is paying an average scorer when that’s the only thing he does.

I liked my Ryan Anderson comp, but I’m not sure he ever reaches peak Ryan Anderson. Not with Chicago anyways
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,476
And1: 7,952
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1687 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:17 am

PaKii94 wrote:Some team will actually pay him to be a second option and give him actual second option touches and bulls fans will bemoan "why couldn't he do it here?!?"


He won’t do it anywhere because he does not have the talent. Period. A second option that can’t do anything besides be an inconsistent 3 point shooter and provides nothing else. Glad it won’t be us paying him so not my problem.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,476
And1: 7,952
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1688 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:18 am

Dez wrote:So we're still sticking with the "it's everybody elses fault"? Okay.


Hard to admit he just isn’t good.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,476
And1: 7,952
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1689 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:20 am

PaKii94 wrote:Unfortunately this same thing is now happening to the PAW he produces with his touches but he is far down on the pecking order. If he doesn't get his touches he will also "bust" out and that wouldn't be his doing.


Paw is actually athletic and not useless if his jumpshot isn’t falling.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,476
And1: 7,952
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1690 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:22 am

These Lauri meltdowns are entertaining in an otherwise miserable stretch of Bulls basketball. The excuse making will never stop until he is gone. Which will be soon.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,269
And1: 3,158
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1691 » by ZOMG » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:22 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Unfortunately this same thing is now happening to the PAW he produces with his touches but he is far down on the pecking order. If he doesn't get his touches he will also "bust" out and that wouldn't be his doing.


Paw is actually athletic and not useless if his jumpshot isn’t falling.


Patrick doesn't even HAVE a jump shot. Come on now. The one-handed floater thing from the FT line does not count.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,476
And1: 7,952
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1692 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:02 am

ZOMG wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Unfortunately this same thing is now happening to the PAW he produces with his touches but he is far down on the pecking order. If he doesn't get his touches he will also "bust" out and that wouldn't be his doing.


Paw is actually athletic and not useless if his jumpshot isn’t falling.


Patrick doesn't even HAVE a jump shot. Come on now. The one-handed floater thing from the FT line does not count.


He does have a jump shot. He is shooting a respectable 38 percent from 3 albeit on low volume (2.2 attempts per game) and his mid-range shot is solid. Actually I would rather see him take more 3s instead of 20 foot 2s and Donovan has mentioned this as well. Let’s not pretend he is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 16,708
And1: 4,639
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1693 » by sco » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:31 pm

I feel like Lauri's fall off in play is really the NBA's fault. They totally failed to implement the "extra ball that only Lauri can touch" rule. Lauri shoots a near league leading 74% from 3pt range when nobody else is touching his ball.

With my usual poking fun at Lauri's brother-in-law and agent (who are active posters in this thread) aside, I am wondering if there is a "prove it" deal that might make sense to the Bulls and Lauri if nobody offers him more than MLE money this offseason.
:clap:
User avatar
coldfish
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 52,678
And1: 23,713
Joined: Jun 11, 2004
Location: Right in the middle
   

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1694 » by coldfish » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:46 pm

It seems as if the rumor that the Bulls were willing to trade Lauri for any first round pick and no one offered one are true. Apparently most of the NBA thinks he will not be a value proposition on his next contract so he wasn’t worth even a late first rounder.

When you compare Frank Kaminsky and Lauri, I really wonder how much demand there will be for LM. I’m sure some team will offer him something and the Bulls won’t match but I’m not sure people are going to start a bidding war for him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kaminfr01.html
CobyWhite0
Junior
Posts: 431
And1: 347
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1695 » by CobyWhite0 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:53 pm

PaKii94 wrote:The funny thing is FebruLauri was inflated because of VOLUME and OPPORTUNITY. He wasn't all that efficient. Lauri HAS improved his finishing and 3pt shooting. If he got those same 80 touches now he could have been pushing 40ppg p36 during his hot streak earlier.

Instead we had to develop our young studs in coby and wcj :banghead:


You're joking, right?

Lauri's 2018-19 TS% by month:

Dec - .540
Jan - .544
Feb - .610
Mar - .510

But he has "improved his 3pt shooting", temporarily at least. He's now at 38% for the season, after 36.2%, 36.1% and 34.4% his first three seasons. Of course, that's all because he started the season hot in a very small sample size of 14 games. Another hot month, but he's had a few in his career.

He's had plenty of volume over his last 12 games, 6.3 3ptAtt/game, and he's at 30.3%. Ouch. Or in other words, back to normal.

The league as a whole shoots 36.7% from behind the arc. There is absolutely nothing special about Lauri's 38.0% (and falling quickly).
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,264
And1: 26,156
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1696 » by DuckIII » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:19 pm

sco wrote:I feel like Lauri's fall off in play is really the NBA's fault. They totally failed to implement the "extra ball that only Lauri can touch" rule. Lauri shoots a near league leading 74% from 3pt range when nobody else is touching his ball.

With my usual poking fun at Lauri's brother-in-law and agent (who are active posters in this thread) aside, I am wondering if there is a "prove it" deal that might make sense to the Bulls and Lauri if nobody offers him more than MLE money this offseason.


Depends on the Bulls cap situation and other options. If the Bulls don’t have capspace or the free agent options are basically bums, then you have to retain Lauri on a reasonable deal and hope he evolves or that he becomes a useful trade asset. We can’t lose assets for nothing anymore unless the cost of retaining them is a clear negative.

That said, you have to assume at this point that Lauri will do whatever he can to get out of Chicago.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,632
And1: 1,775
Joined: Oct 02, 2009

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1697 » by VolumePoster » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:27 pm

coldfish wrote:It seems as if the rumor that the Bulls were willing to trade Lauri for any first round pick and no one offered one are true. Apparently most of the NBA thinks he will not be a value proposition on his next contract so he wasn’t worth even a late first rounder.

When you compare Frank Kaminsky and Lauri, I really wonder how much demand there will be for LM. I’m sure some team will offer him something and the Bulls won’t match but I’m not sure people are going to start a bidding war for him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kaminfr01.html


I would be exceptionally surprised as well. I could see him signing with a successful team, non elite, to add upside; the Celtics in particular.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,632
And1: 1,775
Joined: Oct 02, 2009

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1698 » by VolumePoster » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:35 pm

The last thing I'll say is that I think we went away from the Vuk/Lauri frontcourt way too quickly. I still think it was an overreaction to a terrible first game against a smooth veteran team. Lauris best play was with a big center, Robin Lopez, that allowed him to crash the boards and attack closeouts. I also like Thad better as the hub center of the second unit, and which has playmaking is badly needed.

Changing the starting unit so quickly seemed like a shortsighted, panic move, particularly when you compare it to the amount of leash that was given to White with the first unit.
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,264
And1: 26,156
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1699 » by DuckIII » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:08 pm

VolumePoster wrote:The last thing I'll say is that I think we went away from the Vuk/Lauri frontcourt way too quickly. I still think it was an overreaction to a terrible first game against a smooth veteran team. Lauris best play was with a big center, Robin Lopez, that allowed him to crash the boards and attack closeouts. I also like Thad better as the hub center of the second unit, and which has playmaking is badly needed.

Changing the starting unit so quickly seemed like a shortsighted, panic move, particularly when you compare it to the amount of leash that was given to White with the first unit.


Maybe they should have given it more time. Maybe they’ll give it another look this season. But it’s hard to be too critical considering that the team played better after the switch.

It was definitely not a good move for Lauri. But for the team as a whole? What’s the argument that it was a step back on the court?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,269
And1: 3,158
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread 

Post#1700 » by ZOMG » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:38 pm

DuckIII wrote:
VolumePoster wrote:The last thing I'll say is that I think we went away from the Vuk/Lauri frontcourt way too quickly. I still think it was an overreaction to a terrible first game against a smooth veteran team. Lauris best play was with a big center, Robin Lopez, that allowed him to crash the boards and attack closeouts. I also like Thad better as the hub center of the second unit, and which has playmaking is badly needed.

Changing the starting unit so quickly seemed like a shortsighted, panic move, particularly when you compare it to the amount of leash that was given to White with the first unit.


Maybe they should have given it more time. Maybe they’ll give it another look this season. But it’s hard to be too critical considering that the team played better after the switch.

It was definitely not a good move for Lauri. But for the team as a whole? What’s the argument that it was a step back on the court?


Better??

We're 0-3 since the switch.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION

Return to Chicago Bulls