Image ImageImage Image

What to do with Lauri?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

What to do with Lauri?

1-sit tight, evaluate with the new coach
58%
2-offer him an extension 4 years at $65-70 million
14%
3-Trade him for a lottery pick (Suns at #10)
27%
4-Other
1%

Total votes: 71

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

What to do with Lauri? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:52 am

I really like him and I believe his realistic ceiling is borderline All Star. This year was bad, but the guy has talent.

His situation is interesting. I think AK will sit tight on the roster, and evaluate everyone with a new coach in place. Our team of White/Sato/Archi/Lavine/Porter/Hutch/Lauri/TYoung/Carter/Gafford/Korent/#7 pick (assuming Dunn and Valentine walk) should be a low seed playoff team next year.

But, Lauri is the key right now. I see 3 options
1-bring him back for his 4 year and evaluate. His cap hold next summer is $17 million, I think
2-offer him an extension that could turn into a bargain, even if he just gets back to 19-9 Lauri. Maybe the offer would be 4 years/$65-70 million with a TO on the last year
3-trade him-I really think the Suns would offer their #10 pick for him

What do you think?
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Re: What to do with Lauri? 

Post#2 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:09 am

It's possible the players currently on the roster may not be here come 2021.

I could see the Warriors offering their pick for Lauri.

But I'll go with #1. See what a new coach can do for him.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#3 » by PlayerUp » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:13 am

1a. Explore trade talks
1b. Try to negotiate a extension

If neither happen, play out his 2020-21 contract. If he has a similar season as he did last season, we'll be more willing to let him just walk for nothing and/or his pricetag will continue to drop.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#4 » by The Box Office » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 am

Trade Lauri to Utah for Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell. Sounds like those Utah guys already problems before the Covid 19. The virus just completely broke the relationship. One of them is getting traded. Let it be the Chicago Bulls.

I take Rudy Gobert. He's actually realistic to get. We don't have to think about getting lucky in the draft to get James Wiseman, who might not even work out.

We don't have a 7-1 experienced shot blocking "entering his prime" Defensive Beast since Artis Gilmore. Donovan Mitchell is 23 years young on the verge of becoming an NBA superstar. I don't see Utah trading Mitchell.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#5 » by Ctownbulls » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:It's possible the players currently on the roster may not be here come 2021.

Offer the #1 pick. Are you crazy?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,154

Post#6 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 am

Get rid of him. His value won’t go any higher.....it’ll be no different than what he showed this season. Even in his “promising years” he wasn’t anything special. When you’re a 7ft player that has yet to avg higher than .43 FG % ...that just means you had the green light to chuck shots. Not a good defender, not much of a rebounder, can’t create his own shot, soft, not vocal, overrated 3pt shooter, not a passing (playmaking) big.

What’s he good for? Chucking 3’s and not a damn thing else.

Let’s not waste any time and move on...

So, how’s everyone doing today?
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#7 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:51 am

Off topic, but I would offer the #7 and Carter for Gobert in a second. Of course, they might get better offers, but they get a starting center and a lottery pick. We throw in Felicio and a 2nd, to make the $ work
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#8 » by sco » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:23 pm

I think all options are viable. I see Lauri's likely ceiling (not potential, but actual) as being a 2nd quartile (ie #9-#16) PF - not an allstar, but solid. I think an 4/$64M would be a fair deal for that level of performance, and given his injury history, he might be well advised to take that. He'd still have a shot at big $ on his next deal if he outperforms. I'd even give him a 4th year option on that.

If our new FO fall in love with a PF in the draft, I would hope they trade Lauri, and #10 would be a good haul under those circumstances.

I'd also be fine just seeing how he does next season with a healthy squad and a good coach.

If Jimbo goes, Lauri can't really complain, he'd be getting what he wanted, so he should be very motivated to have a great season.
:clap:
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Post#9 » by chicago paxsons » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Lauri is young enough that i still think he has potential to improve, but the problem to me has been his only nba coaches have seemingly been terrible at integrating into their system and even worse at trying to help him improve as a player. Don’t forget that under boylen he was basically ignored many times throughout whole games.

Under a competent head coach, i wouldn’t be surprise to see him have a good turnabout season.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#10 » by MrSparkle » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pm

He could have a radically better season next year in a new system. Doesn’t take much to change perception, but slightly higher usage and a 20/8 average and he’s back in the “young star” conversation, even if it’s apparent he can’t be a #1 option.

It’s really hard to evaluate him because of the way Zach plays; he doesn’t really create like a #1 option. He chucks and isos like a #1. So Lauri wasn’t getting his poor numbers as a “second option”, he was getting them as a corner spacer for a high usage iso scorer, which is basically the job of a vet min wing.

If I had a nickel for every time Lauri caught a good pass the past season..... I’d be broke.

Then throw in Wendell’s spacing (or lack thereof). The uncreative head-to-the-wall line-ups. Unless a bonafide trade offer comes by for a career low 14 PER Lauri, I bet AK rebuilds his value and then evaluates his long-term worth.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#11 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:01 pm

What ever Lord Arturis deems fit...
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#12 » by Ccwatercraft » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:It's possible the players currently on the roster may not be here come 2021.

I must think the warriors have a much better scouting department than you must think they have. Why would they trade a very high draft pick with control for a guy that only really does one thing well. Hes good at open 3's, but so are tons of players.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,515

Post#13 » by DuckIII » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm

I’ve been advocating trading him for a mid-lottery pick for awhile now. We’ve got enough of a mixed bag from Lauri, with some troubling mental signs this season, that I want to move on before his extension comes due. But I also think it’s reasonable to wait and see, given what we briefly saw from him at peak play.

But it all depends on what type of roster and play style AK prefers.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#14 » by PaKii94 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 pm

If Boylen is gone, I Think AK can bring out februlauri
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#15 » by chefo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:21 pm

What do I think is Lauri’s ceiling? How about a top 10 player? Not because I’m projecting, but because he had an entire month of playing like one (26/12), and that was without his shot falling. This year, he finally graduated to playable on D as well, so long as he’s not your center.

Our new EVP is a tall European forward who won player of the year overseas. I don’t think Lauri’s going anywhere unless he proves rook and soph seasons were a fluke, which they probably were not.

I also don’t expect him to spend 80% of his possessions sitting in the corner without touching the ball either under the new regime.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#16 » by Jimako10 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:26 pm

His value is at the lowest it's ever been, it would be silly to trade him for peanuts now. Bring him back, change the coach, change the offensive system, see if the new group can revive anything. If they can, then you have a good problem on your hands (extending him or trading him for real value).
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,200

Post#17 » by coldfish » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Everyone should be on the table. No one untouchable. Lauri in particular because of his contract.

That said, I wouldn't dump him. You place a value and if you can exceed that, you trade him. Personally, I would trade him for a top 10 pick or a younger guy with high upside. That said, I kind of doubt that anyone would do this and as such, he is coming back.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#18 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Sit back and Watch him flourish with no Boylen.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#19 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:

Offer the #1 pick. Are you crazy?

From recent reports the Warriors are not fans of this draft class. It's considered the weakest class since 2013, may be worse. The Warriors also want to be back in the playoff chase with everyone returning. Lauri would fit with them, and he's also proven that he can play in the league unlike anyone in this class.

It's not likely to happen but I think there's a chance they'll be interested in trading that pick for a proven young player.

Also, It's possible GS won't be drafting #1.

Edit: again, I did vote for option 1, which is to keep him. Apart of me is still holding onto what he did in February last season.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#20 » by Ctownbulls » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Lauri might not fetch a top 10 pick in this draft. He needs to be paid soon and having the cheap flexibility with upside is probably more attractive.

Return to Chicago Bulls