Image ImageImage Image

OT- The Last Dance documentary

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Game Six: The Movie - 8PM Central Time ESPN 

Post#1361 » by HomoSapien » Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

I'll eventually merge this into The Last Dance Thread, but thought it deserved its own thread while it aired in case people were unaware of it or wanted to treat this as a game thread.

The telecast will feature exclusive, never-before-seen game footage captured by five different NBA Entertainment cameras.

It will also be the first time the game between the Chicago Bulls and Utah Jazz will be available in high-definition.

“Rarely, if ever, do you have the opportunity to showcase one of the most storied games in NBA history in an innovative, new presentation that includes never-before-seen material that takes fans further inside the action," said Connor Schell of ESPN. "Game 6: The Movie is an exciting, creative way to deliver even more enjoyment to basketball fans after reliving the journey of the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls in The Last Dance. This material, which was captured on film, has existed in the NBA archives for 22 years and we are very grateful to our colleagues at NBA Entertainment and Winik Media for this incredible opportunity.”
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Re: OT- The Last Dance documentary 

Post#1362 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:I see a lot of people still actively frustrated/angry about JR/Krause's actions in breaking up the dynasty. While there is certainly an argument to be made that they were wrong for doing so, I find myself struggling to really feel upset about it. For me, I had a different feeling watching the end of this documentary. My feeling was, how lucky were we as a fanbase that we got to watch the greatest player of all time, that we got watch one of the greatest dynasties of all time, that we got to enjoy six championships, that we go to experience all of that? Most fans of most teams in most sports will never get experience anything like that. We shouldn't take it for granted.

So I just find it difficult to complain about anything as it pertains the dynasty. We got a storybook ending anyway.

Yea, its a bit poetic in some ways. Krause preferred to end it a year too early than a year too late, if he had a choice. MJ and perhaps other players would have rather it ended it a year too late (and Phil somewhere in the middle). As fans we likely ended it at the "perfect" time with that story book ending. Hell, even if the Bulls had won in 99, the manner in which they won was like it was written by a damn Hollywood screenwriter. Just a perfect way to see it come to a conclusion - dagger by MJ, fade to black, (forget MJ Washington ever happened).

And no team is likely to face the same question/circumstance again. Its easy to forget now the Bulls were the first dynasty to come together entirely in the unrestricted Free Agency era. Before that, there weren't so many dynamics at play in team building/retention. The 80s dynasty had basically the equivalent of RFA today, only, and before that there was no FA at all. And in the current environment where most deals are capped at 4 years in length, its just so unlikely that a team could sustain a 8 year window and take advantage of the 8 year contracts like the Bulls did in 96-98. Dynasties are shorter term and perhaps you have two guys you can build around as a core (maxed at about 60-70% of your cap) and the expectation is you will eventually tear it down around those guys. Jordan's attitude is very much a holdover from a pre-FA era where the team was basically the team, other than trades. And MJs insane contract that was 100%+ of the salary cap and helped to usher in max contracts. Just a really unique situation stuck in the middle of two drastically different eras of team building. And in many ways it was management/owners and players/coaches living that real life struggle that would get further negotiated in subsequent CBAs to what we have today.

Clearly one more run would have been fun, but this was a very unique structure as mentioned. Phil was done though. He was going through a divorce and was not wanting to come back, he couldn’t go through a divorce and work with Krause. Pippen was not coming back either. They did Pip right. Ideally if Krause got his dream and got TMac for Pippen this whole thing looks different but they don’t have a second 3 peat but may end up with as many rings or maybe more in the end and don’t fall into the doldrums. At the time, and in books like Blood in the Horns, Phil was NOT coming back. Plus he got to take that year off settle his personal life and get into what was a real good situation in LA.

While there were certainly some of those external factors at play, I don't think we can ignore that the tense relationship played a role in contributing to everyone being done. If there had been tons of love and respect between management and the team, maybe everyone is more eager to stick it out together.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Re: Game Six: The Movie - 8PM Central Time ESPN 

Post#1363 » by dumbell78 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:07 am

Gonna have it playing while I work, thanks for the heads up.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#1364 » by wickywack » Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 am

2018C3 wrote:
1996 NBA Salary Cap $23,000,000, Bulls Team Salary = $23,512,000
$512,000 Over Cap

1997 NBA Salary Cap $24,363,000, Bulls Team Salary = $58,270,000
$33,907,000 Over Cap

In hindsight, the summer after 96 may have been Krause's grand opportunity to rebuild in place. The Bulls had one last opportunity to get under cap before resigning Jordan to his enormous 97 salary. 96 was the first great unrestricted free agent class (Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller). It was also a hell of a draft class.

In the 90s, it was fairly common to trade players for picks, so the Bulls may have been able to clear a lot of cap and actually gain picks. The Bulls would eventually move Longley in 98 for a mid 1st round Suns pick (Artest). The Lakers famously swapped Divac in 96 for the 13th pick (Kobe) to clear room for Shaq.

So, some wild musings....

For the sake of argument, let's say they dump most of their roster. The Bulls had 2 obvious keepers - Jordan (5.8M cap hold before resigning for 30M at the end) and Pippen (2.9M). That left 15.6M. Shaq eventually signed with the Lakers for a first year contract of 10.7M. Let's say the Bulls convince him to sign for the same or even slightly more. The Bulls should still have room to keep Kukoc and Kerr. They'd fill the rest of the roster with minimum contract vets and whatever draft picks they could get for Harper, Longley, etc. If they could a nab a mid first rounder, picks 13-17 included Kobe, Peja, Nash, and Jermaine O'Neal.

Shaq / Kukoc / Pippen / Jordan / Kerr plus potential picks and minimums. Probably wouldn't have worked, but may be a better chance than what Krause eventually tried post 98.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#1365 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 am

"Game 6 the movie" is airing on ESPN
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#1366 » by Dan Z » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Does anyone remember when Horace Grant left the Bulls? I was a kid, but remember being disappointed that he left. I knew the Bulls would miss his rebounding and defense.

At that point I wrote him off because he left a great situation. However looking back I completely understand why he did it (it that was a big contract for that time).

He left a great situation but honestly went to a better one. Penny and Shaq was better than a Jordanless Bulls team. He did what FA’s do today but it wasn’t as common back then so it felt insulting.

I agree, but I was bummed that he left. I thought that in 1994 they overachieved, but were close and I was curious to see what they could do in 95.

Horace also gloated about his playoff victory in 95, so it made me like him less (although I don't blame him for it...most players would do the same).
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1367 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 21, 2020 1:09 am

How great was hearing that NBA on NBC theme song?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#1368 » by MrSparkle » Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 am

This is some great footage!
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#1369 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

I hate Utah, but its actually great for the young folks to see how BIG Karl Malone actually was. Karl Malone was a truck. They say he was 260 when he played but I think it was more than that since they never updated height or weight back then.
The Cult of Personality
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,266

Post#1370 » by prolific passer » Thu May 21, 2020 1:28 am

Don't spoil the ending for me please. :P
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#1371 » by jc23 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 am

MJ heating up
Be curious, Not judgmental
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,266

Post#1372 » by prolific passer » Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 am

That #23 guy is pretty solid.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Post#1373 » by dumbell78 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 am

That Dick Bavetta call waving off the 3 would be huge in this game.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#1374 » by Jo Jo English » Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 am

I know "The Last Dance" kind of glossed over a lot of his contributions, but I hope younger fans take a reminder from this of just how important Kukoc was during his time the Bulls. Especially during this season.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#1375 » by Jo Jo English » Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 am

Always found it poetic how MJ had 23 in the first half, and finished with 45 in his last game with the Bulls that completed his 2nd three-peat. 45 came full circle in his return.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#1376 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu May 21, 2020 2:08 am

Read on Twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1377 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 21, 2020 2:16 am

I sort of forgot how good Malone really was. I think he’s become pretty underrated historically.

Each possession feels like it’s a move in a chess match. Everything is more methodical.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#1378 » by dougthonus » Thu May 21, 2020 2:28 am

HomoSapien wrote:I sort of forgot how good Malone really was. I think he’s become pretty underrated historically.

Each possession feels like it’s a move in a chess match. Everything is more methodical.

Yeah, I think you could make a case that Malone is the best PF of all time, but you never hear about him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1379 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 am

BTW, I totally don't remember the Jazz having a trade for Rony Seikaly nixed that season. Seikaly always gave the Bulls issues and would have been huge for them if he were healthy.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#1380 » by Jo Jo English » Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 am

Looking at Jordan's career as a whole, it is crazy to think that outside of his own legendary performance in his last game with the team he mostly had to rely on contributions from the "poor man's Jordan" who was on that Cavs team that was on the receiving end of "The Shot", that dirty SOB from the Bad Boys who everyone in Chicago hated 8 years before, and Jerry Krause's European hand-picked post-MJ "future of the Bulls" who was despised by MJ/Pip for years (before they actually met him).

Return to Chicago Bulls